• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
purchased corrolates to the whole franchise worldwide on all platforms.
So 70% digital also means nothing? That's way way way above average for just looking at consoles, especially if we're talking about the figure including physical shipped. It's very clearly pointing towards PC being a large share of that.

But idk without a hard number I have a feeling you're just going to distort and pick apart the info any way you can toake it look bad if not just outright claim 2k is lying like some other people here are explicitly doing.

Tbh it's just kind of weird. The game is very clearly a big success for 2k and egs regardless of feelings towards them.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mister-Gotcha.jpg
Ah yes, the horrific plight of the gamers.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It isn't a random subreddit, it's one dedicated to saying "fuck epic" not just epic games store. They are pointing out that the 'hate' for epic is a little over the top and leads to people doing some strange and illogical things to 'spite' them.

Again, what's the point? Even whilst it's quite brash it's pretty clear what they and that Subreddit mean when they say "fuck Epic." It just comes off as incredibly pedantic and illogical in my eyes to say that they're, for some reason, angry at the very notion of Epic as a company instead of being angry at what they're doing with the EGS. Frankly, people arguing that you can't boycott the EGS if you aren't boycotting the Unreal Engine are encouraging that sort of tribalistic behaviour more than they are critiquing it.

Even then I don't think that's what they were pointing out in the first place because they were directly replying to another post that had nothing to do with the topic of that tweet. It really just comes across as a snide remark meant to paint that user as 'silly' without actually engaging with them; that the tweet highlighted uses the whole "doing x to own the y," thing that's rarely seen outside of (rightfully) making fun of the alt-right shows that they weren't really trying to point out all that much in my eyes.
Are you kidding me? I didn't post anything, I'm replying to the person that did. Why are you trying to police people over a tweet?

Yeah, you are right and I'm sorry there. I changed the post without removing your quote and didn't catch it

Though I'm not 'policing people', I'm just asking what the point of posting such a tweet here is because it's really not relevant to anyone here. As I said even if you think it's the silliest thing in the world the posts of some random person on Reddit very likely has no bearing on the posts of some random person on Resetera.

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
70% digital = RIP Gamestop.

One of the biggest games of the year, and Gamestop is fighting for a piece of 30% with Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Again, what's the point?

That the hate for epic is over the top and that it leads to people doing dumb things. There is an entire subreddit for... A company buying exclusive games and using a sub-par launcher. That's the sum of their sins. You would think Tim Sweeney is the devil or something. It's just a lot for what in the end is so little.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Randy Pitchfork might now be able to pay all his lawsuits.

What a terrible person that keeps making a ton of money.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
70% digital.

What a depressing way to start the week.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
people on this very site unironically argued that this game would do poorly because it's on the epic games store and not on steam

this is what happens when you lets store favouritism cloud your mind, this game was always going to sell, whether it was exclusive to egs or steam or fucking origin

grats to the awesome folks at gearbox texas and quebec tbh, 5 years of development paid off. i eagerly await people across the internet trying to downplay this with some meaningless bullshit like how the game has dropped off on twitch or something (LOL)

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
people on this site unironically argued that this game would do poorly because it's on the epic games store and not on steam

this is what happens when you lets store favouritism cloud your mind, this game was always going to sell, whether it was exclusive to egs or steam or fucking origin
To many, it's just another launcher and isn't really impeding on them. Though obviously if it was on both at the same time, then Steam would out sell EGS.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I did my part.

I assume "70% digital" includes the EGS sales?

What's the percentage of digital sold on consoles?

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
That much was obvious. I just don't get why unless you have a financial interest in physical media. do you also not use/like streaming services like Netflix?
Isn't it obvious that high digital sales will depress me since it will kill retail faster?

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That the hate for epic is over the top and that it leads to people doing dumb things. There is an entire subreddit for... A company buying exclusive games and using a sub-par launcher. That's the sum of their sins. You would think Tim Sweeney is the devil or something. It's just a lot for what in the end is so little.

Well yeah, third party exclusives shouldn't be and haven't been a thing on PC ever, and it shouldn't become a thing. It's almost as if people are celebrating 'well yes, take away choices for my in the long run for the company's bottom line, as long as I have fun in the short term it's a-ok!' As someone who only plays on PC, I didn't buy this for that reason, and I don't think I'm going to when it's out of exclusivity.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the quote but using fastest selling is way more direct otherwise we will end up with something like this which is misleading:

The quote uses the words "fastest selling" as the main description, and then gives a follow-up detail about five-day sales. I don't think the statement could be much more clear, and this is exactly what was in the post you're responding to:

"...making the title the fastest-selling in 2K's history, as well as the highest-selling title for the label on PC in a five-day window."

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much. Exclusives work.

Sure. I personally have yet to see why it's a positive thing for anyone but EGS though.

people on this very site unironically argued that this game would do poorly because it's on the epic games store and not on steam

Got receipts? I have not seen much of that argument on this site, not to say it does not happen of course.

Well yeah, third party exclusives shouldn't be and haven't been a thing on PC ever, and it shouldn't become a thing. It's almost as if people are celebrating 'well yes, take away choices for my in the long run for the company's bottom line, as long as I have fun in the short term it's a-ok!' As someone who only plays on PC, I didn't buy this for that reason, and I don't think I'm going to when it's out of exclusivity.

It sucks that people think your position is a negative one honestly.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

That's nice. But I'm not really arguing against that as much as I'm just saying that the hate for Epic over this is too much.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? It just means the end of physical.

Still don't see why physical games/retails dying is "obviously" depressing. I've gotten 4 replies, but not one reason.

PC gaming has effectively been digital only for years, and I can't remember when I last heard anyone complaining that they can't go to a retail store and pick up a physical version of a PC game

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
70% digital = RIP Gamestop.

One of the biggest games of the year, and Gamestop is fighting for a piece of 30% with Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc.

Is PC sales included in that 70% digital, if it isn't than that's huge but if it does it doesn't really say much regarding retail since PC is mainly digital in the first place.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sure. I personally have yet to see why it's a positive thing for anyone but EGS though.

This. I don't get why people are happy about this, this is really bad for the PC market which used to give people choice on where to play their games. This is actually really bad, also because the companies that benefit from this are both run by complete assholes.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I'm actually surprised that Borderlands 3 is doing this well. It doesn't seem to be a series that is particularly hyped.
But looking at the sales at the previous games, I guess Borderlands has always done quietly well.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He references consumers purchasing right here:

Sure it doesn't say "all 5 million purchased by consumers" but it has sold more than BL2 on PC to consumers in the first 5 days.

It's a win for 2k, Gearbox, and EGS.

I'm not seeing how it's a win for egs when they are purposely using terms like the first 5 days. It still doesn't prove much at all in the viability of egs.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It doesn't seem to be a series that is particularly hyped.
Yeah that seems like a 'you' thing. Before BL3, the series was at 45 million copies sold with Borderlands 2 alone selling around 22 million. With the 5 million copies from Borderlands 3, it's currently sitting at 50 million, making it one of the best-selling video game franchises of all-time.

Game is insanely popular with everyone especially considering the games are available on literally every platform and have a huge co-op emphasis.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Main thing I'm focusing on ? Read the post that is quoted, it's litterally a second point I'm adressing. I replied to someone's statement saying "well you see, it had no impact". To which I said "by definition, you cant measure lost sales".

Yes, if it was on smartphones TOO, it would've sold more. How is that debatable ?

Did I say there's a merit ? Was I making it a main point ? I litterally replied to someone saying "It made no difference. People dont care", to which I saidn"yeah, you cant count the people who cares". How do I keep talking about it ? I mentionned it one time, in reply to someone talking about that subject specfically. What's wrong with you ? :")

You and the other dude passive aggresiving each other is really funny. Like a kindergarten fight.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

This. I don't get why people are happy about this, this is really bad for the PC market which used to give people choice on where to play their games. This is actually really bad, also because the companies that benefit from this are both run by complete assholes.

Free games? Apart from buying exclusives, Epic gives away lots of awesome free games. I dont care about exclusives, since I have a ton of backlog tho.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
2k are lying about themselves? :
so is the argument now that 2K themselves are lying? lol

By now you've probably read through the rest of the thread and realized that the tweet was incorrect. I'm not known for pulling things out of my ass. Borderlands 3 being the highest selling 2K game on PC was blatantly wrong, given that back in 2014 Civ V had already surpassed the 6 million mark. I didn't make an empty statement, I searched for data that confirmed it.

Well then, now time to wait for those numbers of the "hardcore" audience getting the game on Steam come February.

Thay's not what the EGS situation is about. Anyone who follows gaming news and the games industry knows that a few games each generation are so big that they sell to a mainstream audience. By mainstream I mean people who enjoy gaming but don't follow gaming news and industry developments as frequently or as closely as the core audience does. This is not a phenomenon unique in gaming, every other entertainment medium has a mainstream audience and a core audience. In every industry, mainstream audiences are generally unaware of or apathetic towards causes and controversies.

So why is this important for the EGS issue? Simply put, EGS will never, ever be able to challenge Steam's dominance by attracting only these games that sell to mainstream audiences. It's impossible.

Now, on its own, this statement might seem absurd to you. "LOL, so Epic will fail even if it attracts every big game on its platform?". Consider this though: In today's PC market, how many big mainstream games are available to Epic? Think about it for a second. How many of each year's Top 20 sellers can Epic add to its platform? EA games are out, Activision games are out, Microsoft games are out, CD Projekt games are out, Ubisoft games can't be exclusive, Rockstar just got its own launcher, Paradox has its own launcher, so... who's left?

This is why ZhugeEX 's tweet is both right and wrong. People don't care about launchers. Which people? Mainstream people. The thing is that the PC games market has a contingent of core gamers that buy the biggest volume of the games that ARE available to Epic. If you won't take my word for it, here is Epic employee Galyonkin explaining that a small number of people (the platform's core audience) is responsible for the vast majority of sales.

So the situation is this: Epic can only access a handful of very big games that sell to a mainstream audience that doesn't care about launchers. Core gamers, the people that do care about launchers, buy the vast majority of the games that are available to Epic. Epic can't lure in customers with these exclusives and vendor lock them to its platform like consoles do because PC is an open platform. So Epic having a successful game like Borderlands 3 on its platform won't do anything for them unless they manage to convince core gamers to buy from them.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any hint that the sales guarantee is included in the figures? Some posters are claiming it as gospel, but it would be Strange for 2K to include them, since Epic is probably just guaranteeing them money, not actually buying any games.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Considering everyone on this forum said there's zero way they're buying it on EGS and will wait for the Steam version, then taking the six-month deal for a ton of money was probably the best move they could have made, right?

Not only did they get a payday upfront, they also broke sales records, and there's apparently a massive contingent of people who more than double the current owners that are going to buy it soon.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Exclusives work.

I don't think this is the best case. BL3 isn't locked into any consumer investment. This isn't like the 3DFX Glide vs. Direct3D days where a a video card locked you out of playing games, hundreds of dollars in investment, or console exclusivity, also hundreds in investment.

I'm curious what will happen when we get the first streaming/subscription exclusive. Gears 5 has been a huge hit, but a lot of people are on their $1 or free preview of MS Gamepass. If Gears 6 is exclusive to $15/mo Gamepass, are people going there? Do people just play it for a month and dip, and how does that affect $60 sales?

I'm also curious to see if BL3 goes on a deep sale at EGS when the Steam launch hits, and what consumers do. I have a strong feeling T2 is gonna be very quiet when discussing their Steam numbers.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if T2 will put this on their Rockstar Games launcher when it is out of the exclusive deal, that would be a good test to see if they have plans of putting T2 games there.

About that Batman steam vs free tweet. I just found out that the steam version has denuvo... yuck.

Last edited:

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Thay's not what the EGS situation is about. Anyone who follows gaming news and the games industry knows that a few games each generation are so big that they sell to a mainstream audience. By mainstream I mean people who enjoy gaming but don't follow gaming news and industry developments as frequently or as closely as the core audience does. This is not a phenomenon unique in gaming, every other entertainment medium has a mainstream audience and a core audience. In every industry, mainstream audiences are generally unaware of or apathetic towards causes and controversies.

So why is this important for the EGS issue? Simply put, EGS will never, ever be able to challenge Steam's dominance by attracting only these games that sell to mainstream audiences. It's impossible.

Now, on its own, this statement might seem absurd to you. "LOL, so Epic will fail even if it attracts every big game on its platform?". Consider this though: In today's PC market, how many big mainstream games are available to Epic? Think about it for a second. How many of each year's Top 20 sellers can Epic add to its platform? EA games are out, Activision games are out, Microsoft games are out, CD Projekt games are out, Ubisoft games can't be exclusive, Rockstar just got its own launcher, Paradox has its own launcher, so... who's left?

This is why ZhugeEX 's tweet is both right and wrong. People don't care about launchers. Which people? Mainstream people. The thing is that the PC games market has a contingent of core gamers that buy the biggest volume of the games that ARE available to Epic. If you won't take my word for it, here is Epic employee Galyonkin explaining that a small number of people (the platform's core audience) is responsible for the vast majority of sales.

So the situation is this: Epic can only access a handful of very big games that sell to a mainstream audience that doesn't care about launchers. Core gamers, the people that do care about launchers, buy the vast majority of the games that are available to Epic. Epic can't lure in customers with these exclusives and vendor lock them to its platform like consoles do because PC is an open platform. So Epic having a successful game like Borderlands 3 on its platform won't do anything for them unless they manage to convince core gamers to buy from them.

I absolutely get your point, don't get me wrong. With my statement, I was mostly referring to the public who claim they'll wait to buy the game until is released on another platform (Steam) or gets a discount. If all these numbers we are discussing on this thread are mostly from the "mainstream" audience, that left me wondering how many "hardcore" fellas will ACTUALLY wait for the game to be released on Steam and buy it then, how many will actually stick to their words and comparate numbers. Probably not a lot, since you mention that this "core" gamers also get their games from EGS, proving to be the majority of sales at the end of the day.