• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Especially since we've been in this place before with something like Origin, and eventually everyone just sort of moved on.
This is not the same as Origin.

This would be the same as Origin if 2K had their own game store\launcher for their first party games. At least then, you can take comfort knowing you only have to deal with said launcher for their games. But with Epic throwing money at everyone, you're forced to use their inferior platform for a wide variety of games and titles from several different devs\publishers. And as such, people expect some pretty basic features they've become accustomed to on PC. Instead, we gotta go back to barebones experiences because Epic has money.

And I say this as someone that bought BL3 on EGS and wished like hell it wasn't on there. But alas... this is a series I can't wait for. So I'm putting up with it.

Sucks because I wanted to gift this game for a friend. Can't do that though! Something something other stores let you do that....

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
This is not the same as Origin.

This would be the same as Origin if 2K had their own game store\launcher for their first party games. At least then, you can take comfort knowing you only have to deal with said launcher for their games. But with Epic throwing money at everyone, you're forced to use their inferior platform for a wide variety of games and titles from several different devs\publishers. And as such, people expect some pretty basic features they've become accustomed to on PC. Instead, we gotta go back to barebones experiences because Epic has money.

And I say this as someone that bought BL3 on EGS and wished like hell it wasn't on there. But alas... this is a series I can't wait for. So I'm putting up with it.

Sucks because I wanted to gift this game for a friend. Can't do that though! Something something other stores let you do that....

Yeah I clarified in another post that it was more referring to Origin's original (heh) intention to roll in other non-EA titles into it's launcher. And the fact that other companies are planning to do the same.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

They obviously noticed the horrendous lag in the menus themselves during testing and didn't manage to fix it.
iirc they're planning to bring out a patch soon that is supposedly going to iron out those types of issues.

I'm personally waiting to get the game when they've addressed it, so hopefully they can fix a lot of it!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Statements like this tweet never made sense to me. I mean if it was released on say both EGS and Steam at the same time and BL3 copies were sold more on EGS than Steam, then yeah the tweet makes sense that it didn't matter which store the game was on, people just wanted the game.

However, the game was done in exclusivity to be on ONE and only ONE store so...yeah you will have those people that would have no choice but to get it on EGS if they want to play the PC version. Plus pretty sure there's a substantial amount of users who rather wait until the Steam version goes on sale or perhaps just went console for this release. Not saying it surpasses anything EGS copies were sold but still a chunk amount regardless.

In conclusion, weird fucking tweet to just say.

It sounds like you may honestly not understand. A game being available on two different stores selling more/less relative to each other wouldn't tell us much of anything about whether people will buy that game regardless of where it's sold. A game performing this well on a new/unproven store is the proof-of-concept that the game is the draw. The point is that the older/proven digital storefront isn't what determines success, hence the Tweet.

Zhuge is a data guy, and there's been the assertion floating around that publishers are hamstringing themselves by not selling on Steam. We've seen indies thrive like crazy there, but this shows blockbuster/mainstream titles having the same potential for strong sales. The market itself is what's appearing to be healthy, which is a good thing.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I wanna see that platform split. If it's anything like other high profile multi-platform games, it'd maybe be 25-30% on pc, or 1.25-1.5 million sales.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering if there's some confusion between Take-Two Interactive and 2K Games because they both have the same number in their name.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Holy crap! I was expecting it to do well, but 1mill/day + 70% digital . . . :O

On a related note, I really want to buy Tales from the Borderlands, but I cannot locate it for digital purchase :(

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I could be completely off base here, but is it possible that the sales that EGS bought as part of the exclusivity could contribute to this? The way it's worded I expect that it's exceeded that target already, but it's a possibility that say, EGS bought 1 million copies, and that automatically meant that it outsold previous 2k games, hence the 'sold in' rather than 'sold through'?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I could be completely off base here, but is it possible that the sales that EGS bought as part of the exclusivity could contribute to this? The way it's worded I expect that it's exceeded that target already, but it's a possibility that say, EGS bought 1 million copies, and that automatically meant that it outsold previous 2k games, hence the 'sold in' rather than 'sold through'?

I don't know in this specific case but I've facilitated a ton of deals in a similar media industry that are advance payments on revenue and that upfront payment has never once been considering 'x amount of sales'. So I very much doubt it.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I could be completely off base here, but is it possible that the sales that EGS bought as part of the exclusivity could contribute to this?
It's possible that the guaranteed sales are included within that 5 million number because 2k explicitly refers to it as a "sell-in" number. Not a "sold to customers" number. There are some reasons to count those "sales" and some reasons to ignore them. Basically: we don't know.

If you're looking for the most posivite PR then you would include the guaranteed sales obviously.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't know in this specific case but I've facilitated a ton of deals in a similar media industry that are advance payments on revenue and that upfront payment has never once been considering 'x amount of sales'. So I very much doubt it.
EGS payments aren't 'advance payments' though, they're literally gauranteed sales.

Oct 27, 2017
You know what I want with the message like this?

GIVE SOMETHING, PROMISE SOMETHING, REWARD THE PLAYERS.

I don't want to celebrate your cash-extraction achievement, I want any company to highlight how the success is going to trickle down to the players in the form of promotion, patches, content, contests, future games etc. Just a simple hint of hiring more people for the Borderlands 3 team, or planning additional content is enough.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I want with the message like this?

GIVE SOMETHING, PROMISE SOMETHING, REWARD THE PLAYERS.

I don't want to celebrate your cash-extraction achievement, I want any company to highlight how the success is going to trickle down to the players in the form of promotion, patches, content, contests, future games etc. Just a simple hint of hiring more people for the Borderlands 3 team, or planning additional content is enough.

These are for investors, they don't care unless it brings money.
Also known as 'an advance'.

It's not just advances though.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
When do you think we will see the first $60 AAA title that goes digital only?

Long way off but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen within next gen

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how people suddenly get into PC gaming in this kind of topics yet never wants to even get into a community they got 60%+ banned and continue making statements about them being gatekeeped out of it. If you were to go there, you would find that it is a good place yet, 🤷‍♂️

If you want to talk about PC, you are more than welcome to join the topic. Stop making BS arguments about being gatekeeped when it has been hacked and pretty much half killed already.
When I see posts about people that don't participate in PC threads but talk about EGS stuff I wonder what are the qualified PC threads, who are they talking about, am I included, do the threads I find interesting count as PC threads. It would be nice if they were more specific instead of vague. I have no idea if the threads I find interesting enough to post in count. I browse this forum to talk about and read random things usually. Tomorrow is some PS4 event where TLOU2 stuff will be revealed. Even though I haven't really played PS4 much or a console this gen I'm going to be all up in that thread.

For PC discussions that interest me there's usually hardware releases, stuff which I go to youtube or reddit for. A lot of PC stuff is multiplatform for me since I'm not a RTS, FPS, competitive team based multiplayer person, and I never get into steam wacky event stuff because I try to avoid buying directly from them (had a bad experience, especially the customer service, and I'd rather deal with Amazon or EA CS). When I do have to get a game on steam I use that steam.db thing to see if there's a sale, or the lowest the game has been and just wait a bit if it's not close. A lot of the PC first games get merged into all platforms threads when the game show up on consoles it seem. I was looking for the PC Path of Exile thread before Blight started and realized that the one that mentioned Xbox in the title wasn't just for Xbox but probably started as a PC thread.

I think the only reason I find EGS discussions interesting is because I have a lot of experience with it. Like Diablo 3 discussions, I'd likely click any thread and talk about Diablo 3 times dealing with launch itemizations and such because I have knowledge of it and spent a ton of time with it. For EGS I had Shadow Complex, there was the Unreal Engine stuff, and Paragon that I used it a ton for, now it's a gaming service, and me being a play anywhere PC gamer that loves Origin lightness I like taking part in the EGS discussions on this discussion forum, even though I'm not that much in core PC related threads I bet. I get a lot of PC info from other places, especially if I'm upgrading. I'm looking into a new M.2 soon and I haven't even thought of going to Era for info on the endurance of QLC for a games drive, vs just biting the bullet and getting a high end Samsung and resting easy.

Last edited:

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Just finished the campaign ten minutes ago. Well-deserved success. I thoroughly enjoyed BL3 from beginning to end.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how a game with so little in term of improvements or innovation, over such a long development time, would sell as much. Goes to show that more of the same with as little risk as possible will still sell.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I don't understand how a game with so little in term of improvements or innovation, over such a long development time, would sell as much. Goes to show that more of the same with as little risk as possible will still sell.
It is incredibly fun to play? I'm 25 hours in with the mrs and my brother and we all love it, plays so much better than 2 did.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Pokémon games sell well.
MARIO Kart 8 sold well

Smash Bros Ultimate sold well.

no major changes.

what don't you understand? People like having a good time. Simple as that.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

Because it's a good game and adds a ton of refinement and QOL to a very grounded and solid formula. It's a huge improvement to its predecessor in virtually every way imaginable. It's exactly what fans wanted.

How is that hard to understand?

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Think we will ever get a breakdown comparison of those digital sales between PS4, Xbox, and PC?

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Cannot agree to EGS hate. The price of the game in Brasil is amazing. Never saw a AAA game launch on steam so cheap. If this is competition, I'm pleased.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Origin is not the same, since it was about a large publisher taking their games, to another launcher/store. They did not pay other devs to limit the options for customers.

But EA did in fact limit options for customers. The reason why EA has their own launcher is because they feel it would be better for their bottom line than to have it on steam. So why don't publishers who don't have the means to have their launcher do the same for their games? The effective result is the same. Epic made the offer, but no one forced the publisher to accept.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Press release writer really needs a raise for their masterful spin that's managed to fool quite a few people here and on Twitter (ahem) into reading into things, and believing things, that were not directly stated.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused. Aren't Borderlands 2 and GTA5 2K? Those sold a shit ton. Pretty sure GTA5 is like 10 mil on PC

The initial tweet was incorrect. It's "fastest selling game within a 5-day period for the 2K label" so GTA is not included in this comparison (Rockstar, not 2K).

I wanna see that platform split. If it's anything like other high profile multi-platform games, it'd maybe be 25-30% on pc, or 1.25-1.5 million sales.
Think we will ever get a breakdown comparison of those digital sales between PS4, Xbox, and PC?

I highly doubt it. We know very little about sales numbers on EGS, Epic does not seem too keen on sharing them.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine writing this message with your smartphone.

Yeah, you click on his profile and he's chatting with Samsung CS (Tencent business partner), then he games on Xbox (Tencent business partner, Sony & Nintendo as well obviously), he's complaining about Soccer/Fifa (Tencent business partner), he's @ing SNK about their upcoming arcade stick (Tencent business partner), he's @ing Electronic Arts (Tencent business partner).... that's just what I saw while scrolling down for about two seconds.

Clearly a man of principles. Lmao.

There's nothing wrong with being upset about Epic deals but trying to take the moral highground and patting himself on the back whilst bsing it is kinda sad.