• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely get your point, don't get me wrong. With my statement, I was mostly referring to the public who claim they'll wait to buy the game until is released on another platform (Steam) or gets a discount. If all these numbers we are discussing on this thread are mostly from the "mainstream" audience, that left me wondering how many "hardcore" fellas will ACTUALLY wait for the game to be released on Steam and buy it then, how many will actually stick to their words and comparate numbers. Probably not a lot, since you mention that this "core" gamers also get their games from EGS, proving to be the majority of sales at the end of the day.

We're just now approaching the point at which some former EGS exclusives will start appearing on Steam so we'll get some indication soon enough. It will be an interesting next few months for sure.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Considering everyone on this forum said there's zero way they're buying it on EGS and will wait for the Steam version, then taking the six-month deal for a ton of money was probably the best move they could have made, right?
That doesn't make sense: the people abstaining from buying BL3 on EGS are doing it because of the six-month deal with Epic. Had it released on Steam day one there would be no inclination to boycott.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Free games? Apart from buying exclusives, Epic gives away lots of awesome free games. I dont care about exclusives, since I have a ton of backlog tho.

Yeah, I can understand that. For me though that's not enough of a trade-off to say it's worth them buying up 3rd party exclusives though. Anyway, what's done is done at this point I guess.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
What will be the takeaway if the EGS timed exclusive does good or bad on Steam?

Good = The deal was worth it because they can still make good money after for people that only buy on Steam.

Bad = People that wanted the game has played it, it wasn't popular enough to rise above the Steam quicksand and sunk in the crowd of games (maybe people were never interested), or people just aren't interested in the game anymore. Bonus, maybe a lot of people got the DRM free version on GOG.

The idea that buying unreal engine games doesn't help Epic with EGS is ridiculous
Epic only make money to buy exclusives from Fortnite skins. /s

I wonder how much they make from the engine, it must be crazy since so many games use it.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
What will be the takeaway if the EGS timed exclusive does good or bad on Steam?

Good = The deal was worth it because they can still make good money after for people that only buy on Steam.

Bad = People that wanted the game has played it, it wasn't popular enough to rise above the Steam quicksand and sunk in the crowd of games (maybe people were never interested), or people just aren't interested in the game anymore. Bonus, maybe a lot of people got the DRM free version on GOG.

Epic only make money to buy exclusives from Fortnite skins. /s

I wonder how much they make from the engine, it must be crazy since so many games use it.

It doesn't indicate much either way imo
The endgame of it all is ostensibly that Epic will want decent numbers if a game were to be simultaneously released on both of the platforms and none of this stuff really shows anything like that I think
For pub/devs, they will win out regardless and it will show that taking exclusive deals is a lucrative thing to do, but they already know this

The idea that we should boycott everything Epic does, good and bad, is more ridiculous though.

yep, and I wouldn't tell anyone to do that. but ppl shouldn't pretend they aren't enabling EGS by buying unreal engine games is all

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Tempted to grab this on my X but none of my friends are up for it. What's it like playing solo or with randoms?
i just play solo and is a blast for me, i already have two characters at the maximum level and I'm going to the third, I particularly like to play solo to get things done in my own time, its a amazing game to play solo

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The mental gymnastics at display here in order to downplay positive EGS news is mindboggling

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Congrats to the dev team at Gearbox - HUGE improvement over previous titles (actually feels good and is addicting to shoot, vaulting/sliding, variety in environment and gun types, cool skill tree and augments, etc.).

HOWEVER - get the game working right I mean geez! Pop in out that wazoo! Lagging and chugging to keep up and multiple, multiple other issues. Hey, if this is a 'we did not want to put our employees through crunch for this' then i am all for it - but i still blame 2K for not giving Gearbox more time to polish.

ALSO - You suck Randy Pitchford. I hate that you profit from my purchase. Congrats to the dev team - Randy, I know you contributed NOTHING but your stupid magic tricks and terrible behavior; it wasn't even your idea for Borderlands 1 to have its' iconic art style - heck, you even pushed against changing the art style to what it is today. YOU SUCK.

CONGRATS to dev team. You guys killed it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
They could have sold allot more copies on Steam. Highest selling 2k game on pc doesn't mean that much, I believe the highest selling one up until this point was Bioshock Infinite, released 6 years ago and a game quickly forgotten a month or two after release.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Usual Suspects moving goalposts so they don't have to say anything nice about the EGS? I'm shocked, almost too shocked for words.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those calling the death of physical media over an mostly online multiplayer-centric game sounds a little bit ahead of things.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to 2K.

70% digital is crazy. Will be at 90% until "Next-Gen" starts I guess.

This is why sales figures are pretty much useless now when it comes to NPD numbers. Seems like digital is taking over, especially with PC releases. We can't really figure out if a game has sold well anymore until the publisher themselves release sales numbers.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

Statements like this tweet never made sense to me. I mean if it was released on say both EGS and Steam at the same time and BL3 copies were sold more on EGS than Steam, then yeah the tweet makes sense that it didn't matter which store the game was on, people just wanted the game.

However, the game was done in exclusivity to be on ONE and only ONE store so...yeah you will have those people that would have no choice but to get it on EGS if they want to play the PC version. Plus pretty sure there's a substantial amount of users who rather wait until the Steam version goes on sale or perhaps just went console for this release. Not saying it surpasses anything EGS copies were sold but still a chunk amount regardless.

In conclusion, weird fucking tweet to just say.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The usual suspects carrying that EGS defence force while having zero stake in this for they are nowhere to be seen in any other PC game thread.

There are definitely a lot of bad faith arguments made by people in favor of EGS (and a lack of knowledge about the situation is somewhat to blame) but do you ever think that maybe the PC heavy threads being frequented by the same 15 hardcore Valve-heads might have something to do with that? It's the same thing as the "Valve doesn't make games anymore!" argument. Yeah it's sort of dumb and wrong on the surface and mainly parroted by misinformed people but the only response to it is a bunch of people arguing that actually Dota 2 is great and everyone loves it and if you don't, you're wrong.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Tis a good game that is superior to 1 and 2 in just about every way (that other way is of course writing). Deserves good sales.

May 25, 2019
London
There are definitely a lot of bad faith arguments made by people in favor of EGS (and a lack of knowledge about the situation is somewhat to blame) but do you ever think that maybe the PC heavy threads being frequented by the same 15 hardcore Valve-heads might have something to do with that? It's the same thing as the "Valve doesn't make games anymore!" argument. Yeah it's sort of dumb and wrong on the surface and mainly parroted by misinformed people but the only response to it is a bunch of people arguing that actually Dota 2 is great and everyone loves it and if you don't, you're wrong.

Yeah, the attitude of "this person doesn't hang out in the PC Era thread/discord!" just reeks of gatekeeping to me. Maybe there's some people on this forum that spread their time across PC and consoles and don't hang out in any one OT all the time?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I've actually never seen someone in the pc thread talk about dota except where there's a international going on, so I have no idea what you're trying to say. Steam is a good platform and thus has its community even tho most console people want them gone from here (which they half succeeded thanks to EGS controversy)
It is absolutely disgusting how the pc era community was treated here at the start of this year and also embarassing how you cant have a single valve thread without people bullshitting with muh curation muh half life. It was abysmal how argument like lazy valve devs were allowed here just a few months ago.

Maybe some people don't have any stake in this because at the end of the day, the EGS is at worst a minor inconvenience.
Right so "fuck you got mine" rhetoric. Great.

Yeah, the attitude of "this person doesn't hang out in the PC Era thread/discord!" just reeks of gatekeeping to me. Maybe there's some people on this forum that spread their time across PC and consoles and don't hang out in any one OT all the time?
"This person doesn't have a single post in any PC game thread ever and has claimed to not even play PC" has happened more frequently than you think.
You're all too transparent with it, its hard to give much faith in your reasonings.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Statements like this tweet never made sense to me. I mean if it was released on say both EGS and Steam at the same time and BL3 copies were sold more on EGS than Steam, then yeah the tweet makes sense that it didn't matter which store the game was on, people just wanted the game.

However, the game was done in exclusivity to be on ONE and only ONE store so...yeah you will have those people that would have no choice but to get it on EGS if they want to play the PC version. Plus pretty sure there's a substantial amount of users who rather wait until the Steam version goes on sale or perhaps just went console for this release. Not saying it surpasses anything EGS copies were sold but still a chunk amount regardless.

In conclusion, weird fucking tweet to just say.
Isn't that the point of the tweet? If people want the game they have to buy it on EGS, and it being exclusive to EGS isn't stopping them from buying it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The usual suspects carrying that EGS defence force while having zero stake in this for they are nowhere to be seen in any other PC game thread.
They're a dumpster fire that I have avoided for years. Yet 90% of my gaming time is on PC and I have a better gaming PC than the majority of the people frequenting those threads /shrug

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc

I've actually never seen someone in the pc thread talk about dota except where there's a international going on, so I have no idea what you're trying to say. Steam is a good platform and thus has its community even tho most console people want them gone from here (which they half succeeded thanks to EGS controversy)
It is absolutely disgusting how the pc era community was treated here at the start of this year and also embarassing how you cant have a single valve thread without people bullshitting with muh curation muh half life. It was abysmal how argument like lazy valve devs were allowed here just a few months ago.

At the end of the day, narrative is always going to outweigh facts. I've worked on games that were torn apart on here or on Reddit because of a random comment made by an influencer or a meme video showing bugs. So it's never going to be perfect. But I do think that the attitude of PC gaming communities at large (I mean, the whole Master Race thing aside) generally lends PC hardcore fans to view themselves as "not typical gamers". So if you don't like Steam, you just aren't a real PC gamer, otherwise you would see it's a great community and platform. If you like X game well you're supporting bad business practices because the PC port was bad or whatever.

I don't really care about "the market" at all or competition or anything like that, but there seems to be a sense of fury at the very IDEA that someone would challenge Valve's overwhelming monopoly on digital PC sales. And I do think that that anger tends to lash out at any user who dares to disagree at times. Especially since we've been in this place before with something like Origin, and eventually everyone just sort of moved on.

and there's atleast one other company I know that for sure is working on a storefront for both their games and third party games right now too

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I got banned a couple of days for "console warring" because i thought "pc master race" was an unfortunate name that was less ironic than a lot of ppl think it is

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
From the first few scrolls I just see a bunch of "it's just another launcher!" stuff with a few disagreements thrown in. What's so 'gross' about that?
Just the general abuse thrown at people noting, rightly, that this has had basically no effect on the sales numbers, there's so many "Well ACTUALLY" people doing the rounds on this despite what it's clearly showing.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
>Makes gatekeeping post to discredit anyone who doesn't participate in PC game threads
>Wonders why posters don't participate in PC game threads

tumblr_po2rnhYME01ua45zn_1280.gif

Seriously, this is a really dumb comment that doesn't further any discussion, and this whole EGS discussion is basically a derail of the topic because the usual suspects have to circle the wagons.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long live the epic game store.

Shouldn't be that surprising. People wanna play borderlands. EGS is where you do it.

Also good on borderlands. Don't like the series myself but always good to see series continue strong

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
>Makes gatekeeping post to discredit anyone who doesn't participate in PC game threads
>Wonders why posters don't participate in PC game threads

tumblr_po2rnhYME01ua45zn_1280.gif

Seriously, this is a really dumb comment that doesn't further any discussion.
Funny how people suddenly get into PC gaming in this kind of topics yet never wants to even get into a community they got 60%+ banned and continue making statements about them being gatekeeped out of it. If you were to go there, you would find that it is a good place yet, 🤷‍♂️

If you want to talk about PC, you are more than welcome to join the topic. Stop making BS arguments about being gatekeeped when it has been hacked and pretty much half killed already.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about "the market" at all or competition or anything like that, but there seems to be a sense of fury at the very IDEA that someone would challenge Valve's overwhelming monopoly on digital PC sales. And I do think that that anger tends to lash out at any user who dares to disagree at times. Especially since we've been in this place before with something like Origin, and eventually everyone just sort of moved on.

Can we please stop this nonsense that's it's only about "omg not on Steam!"?

You can surely find some people who are like that, but the negative taint surrounding the EGS store is caused by and maintained/grown by that the EGS being introduced as something people have to use, by Epic paying out to limit options, rather then something people want to use.

That's the root issue here. It's how Valve are being challenged, not that they are being challenged.

Origin is not the same, since it was about a large publisher taking their games, to another launcher/store. They did not pay other devs to limit the options for customers.

Are some people to aggessive about their dislike for EGS? Sure. But at lot of the posts here in this thread, where people are using a PR annoucement from a large publisher as tool to act superior then others, and post snarky comments towards them, are really not helping the tone of these discussion either, are they?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Typically the hardcore audience on forums like this literally represent a small amount of the total market, most people don't care.

If epic continues to be successful in getting these exclusives the platform will eventually be successful in taking market share off steam. Steam might then consider dropping the size of its revenue cut and the competitive market might drive benefits, who knew...

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Can we please stop this nonsense that's it's only about "omg not on Steam!"?

You can surely find some people who are like that, but the negative taint surrounding the EGS store is caused by and maintained/grown by that the EGS being introduced as something people have to use, by Epic paying out to limit options, rather then something people want to use.

That's the root issue here. It's how Valve are being challenged, not that they are being challenged.

Origin is not the same, since it was about a large publisher taking their games, to another launcher/store. They did not pay other devs to limit the options for customers.

Are some people to aggessive about their dislike for EGS? Sure. But at lot of the posts here in this thread, where people are using a PR annoucement from a large publisher as tool to act superior then others, and post snarky comments towards them, are really not helping the tone of these discussion either, are they?

The whole Origin thing was because EA originally wanted to have other companies have titles on their store but got scared off by the huge pushback around BF3.

I think console gamers also view the whole "they're limiting options" argument as silly because console gamers have always dealt with it. Buying an Xbox only to have your favorite developer make only Nintendo games, etc etc. PC gamers view this as a new development that changes how they can purchase/play games. So there's always going to be a disconnect there.

Stay on topic

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about Borderlands sales, not metacommentary about Era communities. Get back on topic or we will have to enforce stricter moderation to keep the peace.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): disregarding a staff post
Funny how people suddenly get into PC gaming in this kind of topics yet never wants to even get into a community they got 60%+ banned and continue making statements about them being gatekeeped out of it. If you were to go there, you would find that it is a good place yet, 🤷‍♂️

If you want to talk about PC, you are more than welcome to join the topic. Stop making BS arguments about being gatekeeped when it has been hacked and pretty much half killed already.
If 60% of your community got banned then maybe (just maybe) some introspection is in order

Edit : just saw the new mod post, apologies