• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

EMEAA region's game sales last week, pushing the usual suspects out of the top ten and giving others a chance to shine.

Borderlands 3 debuted at No.1 by unit sales last week, followed closely by fellow new releases eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 at No.2 and Greedfall at No.3. NHL 20 debuted at No.5, pushed out by NBA 2K20 now in its second week after topping the charts last week.

Top 10 best-selling games by units (combined digital and physical) in EMEAA for the week ending September 15, 2019:

1. Borderlands 3
  2. Football Pro Evolution Soccer 2020
  3. Greedfall
  4. NBA 2k20
  5. NHL 20
  6. Gears 5
  7. GTA V
  8. RDR II
  9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  10. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
fantastic for Greedfall!

Also Spyro is in that list mostly because of the Switch release.

Last edited:

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
That is absolutely fantastic news! I haven't found the time to play GreedFall yet, as I'm pretty busy with Borderlands and Link's Awakening already, but man am I excited for the rise of AA devs and publishers this generation.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
This confirms it for me that gamepass is affecting sales, both physical and digital. If Gears 5 was doing major numbers digital numbers is should be charting above the likes of NHL where I don't feel sells anywhere outside the Nordic region. Kilgore now will you agree with my earlier conclusion.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
This confirms it for me that gamepass is affecting sales, both physical and digital. If Gears 5 was doing major numbers digital numbers is should be charting above the likes of NHL where I don't feel sells anywhere outside the Nordic region. Kilgore now will you agree with my earlier conclusion.
I think in fact that Gears 5 prosition is pretty good. It's first week sales are split on two weeks with first day on past week ranking. All the games above Gears are multiplatform and EMEEA is composed for some of the weakest territories for xbox. For me this actually proves that early figures were not the full picture and Gears 5 sales are not being the disaster people thought. I'm not dennying Game Pass can have effects on usual frontloaded sales, or even that Gears 5 could sell less than past entries, but this 1,5 week on EMEEA is decent enough.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think in fact that Gears 5 prosition is pretty good. It's first week sales are split on two weeks with first day on past week ranking. All the games above Gears are multiplatform and EMEEA is composed for some of the weakest territories for xbox. For me this actually proves that early figures were not the full picture and Gears 5 sales are not being the disaster people thought. I'm not dennying Game Pass can have effects on usual frontloaded sales, or even that Gears 5 could sell less than past entries, but this 1,5 week on EMEEA is decent enough.
It only shows that the marketing, that was concentrating on Gears being an essential gamepass game, was effective and by this it was the first AAA game from MS that was marketed in that way.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It only shows that the marketing, that was concentrating on Gears being an essential gamepass game, was effective and by this it was the first AAA game from MS that was marketed in that way.
And the game still sold enough to show up on EMEEA top 10 for two weeks, and who knows maybe a third one.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It should be affecting sales, especially day one sales (no word of mouth yet). Otherwise one would have to assume that Game Pass is a failure and everyone is still choosing to just continue to buy games instead. As it stands it looks like a healthy balance between the purchasers/subscribers. Although I think it'll lean more towards the latter with every release, and Game Pass will continue to see subscriptions soar.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Actually it wasn't the first, Crackdown 3 was also marketed in a similar way, and that did really poorly sales wise.

In the past the argument has always been that Game Pass adds to retail/etail sales, but I think Gears 5 and now Crackdown 3 (the two most recent tentpole Microsoft first party releases) point to the opposite potentially being true (at least with AAA or tentpole titles), in that actual sales wise, Gears 5 is looking to possibly show a notable decline in launch sales versus Gears 4 (due to GP), which already showed a huge decline in launch numbers versus Gears 3.

And without numbers, I'm not sure how effective I'd call the marketing given Game Pass according to Spencer already had "millions" of subscribers, and Gears 5' first week player numbers were 3 million (which would include sold copies, game pass users, shared accounts, multiple accounts, grey market, used etc) despite all the marketing and Game Pass offers, which essentially gave the game away for free.

The player numbers for the first week are actually lower than the actual sales of Gears 3 in the same time frame. Lest we forget historically Gears has been Microsoft's third biggest IP, behind only Minecraft and Halo.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure how this performance for a major exclusive is considered good, this is far from it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
GreedFall charting~!

giphy.gif

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No game was marketed like Gears 5 was with gamepass.

In what sense do you think the marketing greatly differed? Besides the content difference of course, eg Gears 5 getting more multiplayer emphasis, previews etc, due to having more modes and content to show off.

Here, right here is the moment when you stop writing the next two paragraphs. You don't know and you are comparing stuff that is not directly comparable, just to paint your negative picture about service.

We do have a number though, just not the split. We know the first weeks player numbers are 3m, which to me didn't seem particularly impressive given the franchises historic strength (Gears 3 sold over 3m in its first week), not to mention the Game Pass promotions ($2/2months) and advertising.

What we don't know is how that player number divides between sales and Game Pass subs. If the majority of that player number was from GP subs, I'd say the GP marketing was effective but at the expense of retail sales which were disappointing. If however the split was fairly even or even leaned sales, I'd argue that the GP marketing and promotions weren't particularly effective, but that the sales were decent. That said, given the sales titbits we do have thus far (from this chart and the UK sales), I think it's safe to assume the first scenario is more likely.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
In what sense do you think the marketing greatly differed?
All trailers had play on gamepass at the end and only that, all billboards had it also, all ads, then there was the special 2 bucks deals, and the deals with graphics cards wich gave you gamepass codes with Gears on the for front, those energy drink deal was there also promoting gamepass and Gears, then there was gamepass ultimate wich gave you also early access for the first time etc.
No game got this kind of gamepass push before.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
In what sense do you think the marketing greatly differed? Besides the content difference of course, eg Gears 5 getting more multiplayer emphasis, previews etc, due to having more modes and content to show off.
Gears 5 was marketed much more is probably what they mean. Crackdown 3 was sent out to die marketing wise, Gears had a fairly big push.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All trailers had play on gamepass at the end and only that, all billboards had it also, all ads, then there was the special 2 bucks deals, and the deals with graphics cards wich gave you gamepass codes with Gears on the for front, those energy drink deal was there also promoting gamepass and Gears, then there was gamepass ultimate wich gave you also early access for the first time etc.
No game got this kind of gamepass push before.

Ok that's fair. In truth I didn't even know about the other product tie ins. All I saw were the trailers etc which featured the exact same sort of Game Pass branding before and at the end of them. Game Pass deals and offers have also been around since its inception, including around the time of CD3, hence I didn't think that was particularly different.

Personally I think Gears 5 was under-marketed. I didn't see any TV spots, YouTube ads or anything like that. Which I think was a huge misstep for Microsoft given how fantastic and graphically stunning Gears 5 is, and how effective more campaign footage, trailers, demos etc could have been in drawing more interest.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I'm not sure how this performance for a major exclusive is considered good, this is far from it.
On some of the weakest markets of Xbox One, with the first day of sales no counting on this week, and considering a lot of people (50% maybe) are playing it via Game Pass. Decent enough.

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
On some of the weakest markets of Xbox One, with the first day of sales no counting on this week, and considering a lot of people (50% maybe) are playing it via Game Pass. Decent enough.

and this is areas we are constantly told xbox is dead in, so why would anybody expect anything else really?

it's kinda like when before release people said x one x would not sell well at all, then on release they bash it for not selling high numbers.

having said that i wouldn't have been surprised if gears5 was #2.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loved GreedFall, their success is VERY well deserved. Best Spiders game by far, and a great RPG to boot.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
and this is areas we are constantly told xbox is dead in, so why would anybody expect anything else really?

it's kinda like when before release people said x one x would not sell well at all, then on release they bash it for not selling high numbers.

having said that i wouldn't have been surprised if gears5 was #2.
If it would have had the first day of sales counted here, it would probably be #3

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Gears was marketed as a gamepass title and it's clearly had an impact. Curious to see if PC gamepass catches on, it's a much bigger market to go after.