• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yep, imported my characters from the 360 version.

PS3 to PS4 also works. I was able to export my lvl 61 Hunter over to the PS4 version with no issue. Modded guns still work on it too.

Also the old 'cheat' of downloading online saves for Borderlands/Borderlands 2 (360/PS3) still works. Two of the few games that didn't tie down saves to your profile. You can then transfer them over to PS4/X1.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

PS3 to PS4 also works. I was able to export my lvl 61 Hunter over to the PS4 version with no issue. Modded guns still work on it too.

Also the old 'cheat' of downloading online saves for Borderlands/Borderlands 2 (360/PS3) still works. Two of the few games that didn't tie down saves to your profile. You can then transfer them over to PS4/X1.
did trophies auto pop?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. May replay it one day but I'd also gladly play it again to mop up the few achievements I still didn't have. Hopefully all of them pop up once I do this.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Just transferred my 8 year old PS3 save to the PS4. Hooo boy they let me keep all my broken ass guns too.

Having 100%'d everything back in the day, importing my Hunter has made random trophies pop at random times. I'm only using my maxed out character to quickly deal with grindy side quest content and then will play through clean with my partner in co-op. Still, props to Gearbox for letting me bring everything over. I think that was the smart move.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Just a small PSA that I've experienced multiple hard crashes playing my imported characters on PS4. One of my characters had modded weapons so I thought it was just that breaking things, but my other characters were clean imports and I experienced the same thing; there didn't seem to be a recognizable trigger for the crashes. I've since started a brand new character and have had no crashes with it, but when I switched back to an imported character the issue popped up again.

Anybody else experience something similar?

ACellarDoor

Mar 4, 2019
I have a quick question about GOTY. Does it keep the same checkpoint system as the original or is it more like BL2. In BL1 there was usually a single checkpoint and when restarting from a save, it would take you back to the main map from where you started. It became tedious very quickly.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
This is seriously awesome and I wish more devs would find ways to implement cross-gen saves, especially if they want to keep rereleasing last gen's games. It was my biggest hope for Skyrim, that I could import my 360 save, and that didn't happen. I'm picking this up this weekend, since I never beat the first Borderlands.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
How does PS3 to PS4 transfer work? I already have it on PC but it'd be nice to transfer my old PS3 save to PS4 sometime if it's ever on sale.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
How does PS3 to PS4 transfer work? I already have it on PC but it'd be nice to transfer my old PS3 save to PS4 sometime if it's ever on sale.

Was going to ask this same thing.

Actually I am guessing it was like BL2, you have to load up the old game on the PS3 and it should have an option now to export the character. Time to dust off the PS Triple.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
I have a quick question about GOTY. Does it keep the same checkpoint system as the original or is it more like BL2. In BL1 there was usually a single checkpoint and when restarting from a save, it would take you back to the main map from where you started. It became tedious very quickly.

Oh, it's still there. Fast Travel makes things manageable for the base game because there are a ton, but all DLC areas have only a single Fast Travel Point, making things stupid tedious, especially the Knoxx expansion.

I booted up my BL GOTY PS3 version and applied a recent update which added an Export Character option; uploaded my character then imported it into my PS4 version. You can only do one character at a time, so unless you have both machines on and can switch back and forth quickly, it'll take a bit if time.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
so many modded saves incoming.............like A TON OF MODDED SAVES.

Welp, time to never join a public lobby then.....want to enjoy this cleanly this time lol

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait wait wait, I can import my Xbox 360 borderlands 2 save onto my xbox one handsome collection and not have to start completely fresh?

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
so many modded saves incoming.............like A TON OF MODDED SAVES.

Welp, time to never join a public lobby then.....want to enjoy this cleanly this time lol

Smart lol yeah I would encourage everyone to NOT play BL in a public lobby, or allow anyone but your friends to join your game.

Even then, you can still "contract" the infamous "Keep Your Insides Inside" bug to your save if you join someone's game that has that bug.

An MTI? Multiplayer Transmitted Infection?

ACellarDoor

Mar 4, 2019
Oh, it's still there. Fast Travel makes things manageable for the base game because there are a ton, but all DLC areas have only a single Fast Travel Point, making things stupid tedious, especially the Knoxx expansion.

Thank you for confirmation. Knoxx was the worst for that. I think i will just leave the game to my nostalgia memory bank.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you need the original console to do it?

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Thank you for confirmation. Knoxx was the worst for that. I think i will just leave the game to my nostalgia memory bank.

Yeah it's one of the biggest design WTFs I've encountered. Game breaking glitches and quests still break way too easily as well. I bought the game bc I genuinely enjoyed my time with it years ago and wanted to play it with better performance and local co-op, and it totally delivers on that front, but most of the headaches from the first have also been brought along for the ride.

Do you need the original console to do it?

For PS3 -> PS4? I did. Luckily I still play my PS3 and had it hooked up.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I only owned Borderlands 2 on the 360. Bought Handsome Jack collection on da bone last year and imported all my characters :)

Apparently I only owned BL2 as a physical copy way back on the 360. I just bought the Handsome collection and if I go to the 360 version of Borderlands 2 it wants to charge me $20 to purchase it. Seems like I will have to buy the 360 version again just to get access to my saves to transfer my characters =*(.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Got home, bought handsome collection, bought borderlands 2 xbox 360 version, booted up the 360 version and it keeps telling upload failed when trying cloud saves. I am really disappointed 😭

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Got home, bought handsome collection, bought borderlands 2 xbox 360 version, booted up the 360 version and it keeps telling upload failed when trying cloud saves. I am really disappointed 😭

I don't have a 360 but I know that you need to make sure both your 360 game and your current gen handsome collection are all up to date on their patches. If you're moving from a 360 BL2 -> X1 Handsome Collection, I'm almost positive you'll need to use the in-game menu on the 360 version to upload your character to a place THC can import it from.

If I'm misunderstanding you, and what you did was buy the backwards compatible 360 version of BL2 to play on your X1 (not on original hardware), then you might wanna take a look here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Borderland..._transfer_character_from_360_to_xb1_with_bl2/

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I converted my BL2 360 save into a PS3 save and uploaded to PS4...definitely possible.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't have a 360 but I know that you need to make sure both your 360 game and your current gen handsome collection are all up to date on their patches. If you're moving from a 360 BL2 -> X1 Handsome Collection, I'm almost positive you'll need to use the in-game menu on the 360 version to upload your character to a place THC can import it from.

If I'm misunderstanding you, and what you did was buy the backwards compatible 360 version of BL2 to play on your X1 (not on original hardware), then you might wanna take a look here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Borderland..._transfer_character_from_360_to_xb1_with_bl2/

I go to updates and its not telling me of any update that's available. I'm at the start screen of the 360 version on my Xbox One. I read that thread and I could just be frustrated but I didn't see an answer.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
So bummed my OG Borderlands stuff was never on the cloud, I'll really miss my gear and those crazy modded guns. Would have been really fun to have again.

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks a lot of people who wanted a cheat-free experience on the new gen consoles. People are going to be bringing over their modded crap from their hacked last-gen saves. It's Diablo 3 all over again.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This sucks a lot of people who wanted a cheat-free experience on the new gen consoles. People are going to be bringing over their modded crap from their hacked last-gen saves. It's Diablo 3 all over again.

Me and the wife sincerely just wanted to relive characters we played together when we were still dating. I realize this is a very specific circumstance and you are right, most will exploit. But man I am sour that all those hours are basically vaporware at this point.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I read that thread again and something I am not understanding is its making it seem like you must load from a 360 disc? I purchased a digital code off ebay and assumed that would be fine. Not sure why my Xbox would detect my saves from a disc but not a digital code.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017

Just... don't play in the open lobby? Or only play with people on your friends list (or from Era?) you know won't bring modded characters into your game. BL doesn't have a PvP scene so it's not throwing off the game's balance for everyone, just the people choosing to play with modded guns.

BL is a 10 year old game with some 2009 game design issues that are mitigated somewhat by breaking balance and steamrolling certain sections, especially in some of the DLC. Also, sadly, third-party save editors are still one of the only ways (or sometimes the only way) to fix a broken quest that is stopping progress, regardless if you modded your save beforehand. Personally I'm having a blast cruising through a lot of the more tedious, grindy content while checking out the updated assets and performance. I will be wanting to do a playthrough on a clean character too though, so if you are on PS4 lmk!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean it would have happened even without this though right?

The only way to get around it is to have online only characters to be able to play in public lobbies. Which personally I'm for as long as you can opt out, but I know a lot of people are against.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I read that thread again and something I am not understanding is its making it seem like you must load from a 360 disc? I purchased a digital code off ebay and assumed that would be fine. Not sure why my Xbox would detect my saves from a disc but not a digital code.
I think it's because the XBO is pulling the saves from the cloud storage and your 360 saves were never uploaded.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
My old max level Mordecai was gone when I loaded up the game on PS3, not in the Cloud, not anywhere. Ah well it's been like 9 years since I played anyway so might as well start over.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to find my old 360 save and seems I lost it a while back. Sighs. Guess it doesn't matter which platform then since I will end up starting over.