• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can allow the family to grieve however they want to and still understand- and even be repulsed by- how the act of forgiveness plays into larger conversations of white supremacy.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Critical thought is sorely lacking in this thread. Instead of quoting twitter posts, take two minutes to dig deep within yourselves. Forget about the faux activist, social media bullshit for a moment and consider the individuals actually impacted here.

Is it within the realm of possibility that they are capable of making their own informed decisions and aren't merely automatons acting purely out of years of systemic slavery and oppression?

Isn't it, in fact, more likely the reality rather than any other possible explanation?

Isn't it, in fact, horribly fucking demeaning of you all to dictate what these people can and cannot feel. Are you not ironically attempting to exercise some control over them by defining their actions for them?

I can't even take this post seriously with the huge "outrage culture is getting out of hand" stench it's giving off.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
You can allow the family to grieve however they want to and still understand- and even be repulsed by- how the act of forgiveness plays into larger conversations of white supremacy.

Why does that even need to be reiterated here. Isn't it obvious based on the majority of responses in this thread thus far? This just seems like a veiled apology for the outright attacks on the family in this very thread, but you do you.

you know non blacks love to posterize and moralize about shit that don't affect them

Have you had family members' lives taken from you by someone before and felt that type of hatred before? I have, so fuck off with that bullshit.

I can't even take this post seriously with the huge "outrage culture is getting out of hand" stench it's giving off.

And you're clearly willing to sacrifice someone else's health, safety, and welfare to express your "outrage". If you knew my background and what I did, you'd realize how ignorant your generalization is. You can absolutely be an activist and use social media to enact change. But blindly quoting others without putting in any actual work on your own end "ain't it, chief" as they say.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My guy said 'faux activist, social media bullshit' like that even means anything.
Yeah lol, 'enlightened' takes like those aren't shit when they intentionally misrepresent the grievances many have with this forgiveness fetish that White people just love.

Why does that even need to be reiterated here. Isn't it obvious based on the majority of responses in this thread thus far? This just seems like a veiled apology for the outright attacks on the family in this very thread, but you do you.
Quote the users who've attacked the family.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the "social media activists" are the only reason this case became national news.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. We get to the phase where people weaponize this to beat other black folks over the head with.

It's always the same sanctimonious bullshit.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In the aftermath of this case, and the fact that people are crying tears over this woman and none for the victim, and the fact that black people are now being guilted for not being pious negroes in tge face of a society that wouldn't stop killing us if we were all perfect, I don't care what it seems like to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Critical thought is sorely lacking in this thread. Instead of quoting twitter posts, take two minutes to dig deep within yourselves. Forget about the faux activist, social media bullshit for a moment and consider the individuals actually impacted here.

Is it within the realm of possibility that they are capable of making their own informed decisions and aren't merely automatons acting purely out of years of systemic slavery and oppression?

Isn't it, in fact, more likely the reality rather than any other possible explanation?

Isn't it, in fact, horribly fucking demeaning of you all to dictate what these people can and cannot feel. Are you not ironically attempting to exercise some control over them by defining their actions for them?

Yeah, fuck every word of this garbage post for ignoring the societal implications of what is happening and has been happening and will keep happening.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Critical thought is sorely lacking in this thread. Instead of quoting twitter posts, take two minutes to dig deep within yourselves. Forget about the faux activist, social media bullshit

You mean the Twitter posts above yours from Bree Newsome? 'Faux activist' Bree Newsome?
Bree Newsome is an artist who drew national attention in 2015 when she climbed the flagpole in front of the South Carolina Capitol building and lowered the confederate battle flag. The flag was originally raised in 1961 as a statement of opposition to the Civil Rights Movement and lunch counter sit-ins occurring at the time. The massacre of nine black parishioners by a white supremacist at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston reignited controversy over South Carolina's flag. Bree's act of defiance against a symbol of hate has been memorialized in photographs and artwork and has become a symbol of courage, resistance and the empowerment of women.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
User Banbed (1 month): Antagonizing and misrepresenting other users over multiple posts in this thread and inflammatory false equivalence surrounding disproportionate sentencings for minorities
In the aftermath of this case, and the fact that people are crying tears over this woman and none for the victim, and the fact that black people are now being guilted for not being pious negroes in tge face of a society that wouldn't stop killing us if we were all perfect, I don't care what it seems like to you.

I'm genuinely puzzled how you equate standing up for this family's right to grieve as advocating for any of that. Are you not capable of discerning the massive chasm between the two? This is just silly.

You mean the Twitter posts above yours from Bree Newsome? 'Faux activist' Bree Newsome?

Nope! I know who she is. I'm active on Twitter. I mean the people who quote the people doing the thought work here as though that equates a conversation. It doesn't. Do your own thinking. Process things for yourself. Stop leaning on others to do the dirty work for you.

Yeah, fuck every word of this garbage post for ignoring the societal implications of what is happening and has been happening and will keep happening.

And fuck your post and every other post in this thread for using a platform to attack a family who lost a beautiful human being who actually did something with their lives other than post Twitter quotes on a fucking message board.

Nov 1, 2017
To those that view forgiveness as the only appropriate path, should she be allowed to become a cop and carry a weapon again once she completes her sentence? Is anyone that would disagree with that a less good person?

Oct 25, 2017
We love telling other black people to not be uppity when a grieving family's forgiveness is being weaponised, don't we folks.

Oct 25, 2017
The video was really quite different. The parents were speaking during church service, and they were reacting to the actions of their younger son forgiving the killer. The father acknowledged that he was not surprised at the son's actions because that's how they raised him, and they were proud of him. He then went on to say that he too would want to try to be her friend at some point, and that he thinks maybe it is possible, that maybe he can do it. It's him reflecting on his own capacity for forgiveness. But he acknowledges that there are consequences to his son's actions. The mother later then also says that she is proud of her son but that there are consequences, and that she will reserve her own forgiveness for herself rather than stating it in public. They also spoke about corruption in the police system and the contaminated crime scene. They continue to fight for change in the system, but forgiveness for the killer as an individual is how they want to move on.

This is the salient point.

They are completely free to find peace with the situation through forgiveness. I do believe that letting go of hatred in your heart toward the individual who committed the action is the best way to find personal peace and move forward with your life. But that's a personal decision between you and the individual who harmed you. It shouldn't be taken publicly because personal forgiveness and letting go of personal hatred is an entirely different thing from releasing a person or the system from accountability.

I don't believe the family experiencing grief is under any societal obligation to behave one way or another. The vitriol should be aimed at the people (which as best I can tell are exclusively white) who are running this up the flagpole to mean something that it doesn't. One man searching for peace in his heart does not absolve this woman of her actions or the police for their systemic abuse and racism.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Good on him, he needs to forgive to move on with his life, or else if you cant forgive you'd live as an angry bitter miserable person and that's no way to exist. Very admirable, idk if i'd have the strength...

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely puzzled how you equate standing up for this family's right to grieve as advocating for any of that.
You can't position yourself as a champion of anything after dismissing everything in this thread as "faux activist" dribble.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Good on him, he needs to forgive to move on with his life, or else if you cant forgive you'd live as an angry bitter miserable person and that's no way to exist. Very admirable, idk if i'd have the strength...

100% spot fucking on
You can't position yourself as a champion of anything after dismissing everything in this thread as "faux activist" dribble.

It's silly logic to (1) misinterpret my very specific punch at people failing to engage and instead, merely posting the thoughts of others as a generalized attack on activism and simultaneously (2) use your misinterpretation to dismiss any position I might have.

Do you actually engage in these sorts of discussion face to face?

Last edited:

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope! I know who she is. I'm active on Twitter. I mean the people who quote the people doing the thought work here as though that equates a conversation. It doesn't. Do your own thinking. Process things for yourself. Stop leaning on others to do the dirty work for you.

I don't think sharing Twitter posts is faux activism. Here is a well-thought out post from this very thread that isn't attacking anyone. Is there anything in particular you disagree with in these?

EDIT: Included another post.

People will love retweeting this and making think pieces about this because it fits white suprmancy's agenda that this was a happy capstone on a glitch in the system. When dehumanizing black people to the point that folks can put a black person down for eating ice cream in the home he pays rent on IS THE SYSTEM. It just gives people an ok to opt out of reflecting on the racism that was all over this case. She was sharing all the little cute racist memes folks get all the time from friends and family and just go "Oh You...", Then she shot and killed a black person. That should be the take away.

Folks are quick to want to forgive and forget with not one attempt at redemption. She could have shown growth and tried to make things right by admitting she fucked up and pleading guility, but no she got up there and tried to invoke the power of whiteness like it was Greyskull at every turn. Society is always wants the Disney fairy story idealized of Empathy, but it never goes boy ways. We look like the bad guys if we still take offense to "Raped by a pack of niggers", or the tri monthly blackface usage, or where racism attempting to masquerade "Comedy".

Fat is that this man shouldn't even be in the position to have to do this, but folks are more than happy to see it over and over again because helps them not have to deal with reality. But margalized people don't have that luxiusre, we have to nuture our broken, and bury our dead and guess what? AIN'T NOBODY GOING OUT THEIR WAY TO HUG and SUPPORT US. So entirely me miss me with this cheap hit of white privilege dopamine

He can grieve however he wants but this stronger for forgiveness narrative needs to stop. Not forgiving someone for murdering your family is in no way shape or form an indication that you are a less good person. The opposite of forgiveness would have been his family calling for or carrying out violence against her or her family as reprisal.

A sexual assault survivor isn't lesser for not forgiving their abuser. An adult that cuts off contact with their abusive parent to lead a life that's most conducive to their well-being isn't lesser because forging a relationship with them isn't possible without harming their mental health.

This is especially true when the person responsible does everything they can to not own up to their actions until they have no choice all while agreeing to disparage the victim in the hope they can get off with minimal or no penalty.

The world will be a better place when privileged people put the plight of marginalized people as an actual priority so they don't have to keep forgiving people for brutalizing them in the hopes that it gets people to see them as equals.

Black people have been forgiving white killers forever in America and the lesson hasn't been learned yet. So entirely miss me with this bullshit that being the better person involves forgiveness and is the correct path forward.

For those that can endure reading it here's a past instance. Wanted to warn prior though as it does talk about a 1981 lynching.

Nearly 40 years later and people are still beating black people over the head that this is what the takeaway should be.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
There is a reason that forgiveness is being stressed.

Of course, there is. That doesn't give you or anyone else the right to determine how the family grieves or chooses to exercise forgiveness.

I don't think sharing Twitter posts is faux activism. Here is a well-thought out post from this very thread that isn't attacking anyone. Is there anything in particular you disagree with in these?

EDIT: Included another post.

Don't have the full context, but I don't see much in this post that I disagree with, no. Attack the system. Attack the media coverage. Attack the institutionalized racism that led us down this path. You can do all of those things without casting judgment on the family.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
...what the fuck is happening in this thread..
giphy.gif

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
100% spot fucking on
Forgiveness has a place in this world, but so does the rage, anger and indignation which comes from being denied the basic right and sympathy afforded to others just based on the colour of our skin or whether we are born with a dick down there. It's why we riot, why we protest why complain and why I as a black man will never be quick to forgive those who were quick to harm my family or worse kill those like me because what we look like not who we are.

As I have said repeatedly I respect the brother and I can respect nature of the forgiveness but even with such goodness on display what yesterday will show to the world is even when the family of those that hurt you don't show the same thoughtfulness, even when they try to lie and discredit your actions , even when they hide their lies and hate, you should forgive. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. Cause it makes people feel warm inside as the police continue to harrass and kill with impunity......
No good deed goes unpunished.....the phrase springs to mind and unfortunately in my mind it's the most apt way to describe his actions. His public choice to forgive pious as it is will be weaponised to quell and discourage people rightly seeking retribution , already we had people on the live coverage using his actions to garner sympathy for the police officer. Yesterday won't be remembered as the day justice was served , yesterday will be remembered as the day a victim was sent to prison. And whilst I can respect their actions , I cannot help but feel frustrated. But that's life, cause and effect.

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

I don't know that the entirety of this is about strength.

This woman, who shared racist memes and talked about killing civilians, shot a black guy watching TV, lied about how it happened, didn't attempt to administer any aid. I don't give a shit whether it's his brother or not - to come out and say he doesn't want her to go to jail seems like super misguided way-too-try-hard Christian bullshit.

It's fine to look at the brother and say he's a great guy for forgiving and what-not but let's not lose sight of the perpetrator. She's a racist piece of incompetent trash who murdered a guy in his own home, lied about it and didn't attempt to help him afterwards. Then she put on the ol' white-women-tears act in court and now will likely be out in 5 years. That's fucking bullshit and an injustice, regardless of what the victim's brother or any other family member says.

Oct 29, 2017
Good for him, if this helps him deal with his loss then I am all for it.

But this should not be held up as an example for everyone, or the standard what a "good person" is supposed to do. Because if he chose to remain angry and not forgive her that would be 100% appropriate.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
So are we at the point where the warm fuzzy hugs have become the narrative over the difficult conversation of the deep-seated racism that causes these types of incidents in the first place?

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
User Banned (1 month): Antagonizing and misrepresenting other users over multiple posts in this thread; inflammatory false equivalence surrounding disproportionate sentencings for minorities
Far less people are attacking the family than you are pretending but you have nothing else so I understand what you're doing here

1...2...or 50, it doesn't matter. One group commoditizing a horrible situation doesn't make yours or anyone else's attempt to commoditize a family's grief right.

Forgiving someone who didn't even have the grace to plead guilty is foolish, and I would earnestly say that to the family, or anyone.

Clearly, you don't even understand what forgiveness means, so I can see why you would feel that way.

But this should not be held up as an example for everyone, or the standard what a "good person" is supposed to do. Because if he chose to remain angry and not forgive her that would be 100% appropriate.

Absolutely.

So are we at the point where the warm fuzzy hugs have become the narrative over the difficult conversation of the deep-seated racism that causes these types of incidents in the first place?

If people continue treating this as some outlier and focus on this particular case without considering what it really is they should be asking for? Absolutely. Pushing for harsher sentencing is how we go to the bullshit mandatory minimums for things like marijuana possession in the first instance. If you know institutionalized racism exists (and it very clearly does), do you really want an excessively harsh sentence here? What does that mean for the next person of color when subjected to sentencing? What do we accomplish warehousing ANYONE??? Literally ANYONE??? Do you really want this to be all about punishment? Do you really feel as though no one can be rehabilitated? Those are the bigger, broader questions here with exponentially more impact on genuine change.

It ain't finger wagging. It's just common sense.

Last edited:

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Attack the system. Attack the media coverage. Attack the institutionalized racism that led us down this path. You can do all of those things without casting judgment on the family.

I mean, you say this but also respond "100% spot fucking on" to this:

Which implies you are casting some form of judgement yourself. The post specifically says "needs to forgive" and "if you can't forgive you'd live as an angry bitter miserable person". I don't agree with these at all. You don't need to forgive to move on, and not forgiving does not make you a bitter person. They chose to grieve one way but they would not have been in the wrong, and he wouldn't have been a worse person, for never forgiving her.

I'm in agreement with this post:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I admire the brother but I would want justice first. Give her time to stew and gain some true perspective in the slammer for a bit. Forgiveness comes much much later for me.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Looks like this came from a religious reason. Is there a reason why black Americans are such a devoutly Christian group? I never understood this since Christianity was used to justify slavery and colonialism. Asking as a white, irreligious, Canadian man.

Church was the only place white slave owners would generally leave us the fuck alone. Otherwise we couldn't get together without them think that we were plotting on them. It was in most cases our only refuge.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I really don't think I could ever judge or have any opinion on how someone reacts to having their brother murdered in Cold blood when facing their murderer. I had a similar moment in my family with a man who dated my aunt and decided to murder her when he found out she was pregnant, my grandma(a minister) showed nothing but forgiveness to her murderer. There's soo much pain involved, I can't even quantify it.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How embarrassed are these white supremicists when they goto heaven and the people they beat, raped, and demonized are up there with them, talk about awkward

Probably be expected to forgive them in heaven too

"Hey man you gotta know that was my physical form, that's not who I am, we good?"

This guy is in heaven but the non-believers who lifted me up are being tortured for all eternity, thanks for that bro

Last edited:

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I mean, you say this but also respond "100% spot fucking on" to this:

Which implies you are casting some form of judgment yourself. The post specifically says "needs to forgive" and "if you can't forgive you'd live as an angry bitter miserable person". I don't agree with these at all. You don't need to forgive to move on, and not forgiving does not make you a bitter person. They chose to grieve one way but they would not have been in the wrong, and he wouldn't have been a worse person, for never forgiving her.

I'm in agreement with this post:

I can see why that would be difficult for some people to understand, but it isn't a judgment. Whether you choose to hate and not forgive or forgive -- of course both of these are perfectly acceptable, and no one's decision but the person/s who's been grieved alone. But it would be silly to say that's some concrete state that can't be changed. You can hold onto it for day, months, years, or take it to your grave. I held onto mine for years but fortunately got to the point that I could let it go because that was what was best for me. There's no right or wrong to that, in my mind.

These aren't contradictory positions.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This act of forgiveness wasn't for her. It wasn't for me, it wasn't for you. It was for him. Speaking as someone who lost a family member to senseless murder, I know how hard it is to let that anger and thirst for revenge go. It's not easy, and it may never come, but I've learned in my life that it doesn't do me any good to hold that kind of hatred inside of me.

if this helps open the path for him to move forward, then good on him. Whatever he feels he needs to do.

the 10 year sentence is garbage, and continues to highlight how much a black life is valued in this country, but this moment by Botham Jean's brother isn't for anyone but him. I wish him and his family all the healing in the world. Ditto for all of the families whose lives have been torn apart by racism and senseless murder.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But it would be silly to say that's some concrete state that can't be changed. You can hold onto it for day, months, years, or take it to your grave. I held onto mine for years but fortunately got to the point that I could let it go because that was what was best for me. There's no right or wrong to that, in my mind.
These aren't contradictory positions.

I believe in rehabilitation, forgiveness, and recompense. But considering the recency of these events, and with how much of this woman's racist past has come up, and the 10 year sentence, and the devaluation of black lives in the criminal justice system, it feels inappropriate to say 'he needs to forgive, if you can't forgive you'll be angry, bitter, miserable, etc. ', which is what that post stated and I'll stand by my disagreement with it.

I'll never disagree that forgiveness is a good thing, I'll never argue with people who say it worked for them, and I'm happy if it can give Brandt closure. I disagree with anyone saying it's necessary, at least this soon.