• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I traded in my extra PS4 a few months back when they had a great trade-in deal at EBs. My plan is to gift it to my wife for the holidays. I have started looking at games and accessories and I am kind of shocked at what appears to be a pretty steep price to set up the console at a respectable level of function.

I may be incorrect on some assumptions here, so please correct me if I am misunderstanding things. It seems like the following are common purchases for most users?

Memory card so you can install more content (I'd think 128GB is a smart choice) $55
A case so it doesn't get mucked up when used outside the house $20
A second controller so you can play with your friend/husband $60
A car charger for travel use $10
A game like Mario so the gift is fun $60
A year of online $20
A screen protector $10

That is $235, almost as much as the console itself. What am I missing here?

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Black Friday memory cards have been 19.99 for 128gb, sales are pretty common on them. And most of the other stuff really depends on what you are into, pretty common for any console or portable.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Yup... Plus games are pricey, very pricey compared to PS4 games. I kinda regret my Switch purchase once I realized how expensive Nintendo games are.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
You don't NEED a second controller. You can play 2 players with the joycons in the box.

You don't NEED a case if you have a laptop bag/backpack.

You don't NEED a car charger unless you regularly have car rides over 5 hours

You don't NEED to pay for online unless you want to play MK8, Smash or Splatoon 2.

You *definitely* don't NEED a screen protector. Seriously. Unless your wife is 8?

Also, 128 GB card is pretty hefty. I've found 64 to be more than plenty, though I'll admit most of my Switch games are physical.

No offense man, but it sounds like the guy at the shop took you to the cleaners.

Last edited:

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pricey. But if your concerned with 2 controllers, you could each use a single joycon.

It's not comfortable, but it works

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ive saved a lot of money by always being alone and never taking it anywhere

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
If you only bought Mario Odyssey then the second set of Joycons aren't really necessary. Also the Switch is USB C, you can plug it into the USB charger in cars, trains and planes.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all Nintendo hardware is cheaper with the actual system compared to others but then they gouge the ever loving shit out of you in accessories. God help you if your dock breaks, that flimsy piece of plastic with almost nothing in it is like $90 for a replacement.

Then you have games that almost never go on sale and if they do you're lucky if they dip below $40-45.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Memory card so you can install more content (I'd think 128GB is a smart choice) $55
A year of online $20
A screen protector $10

I mean... Most of that would be based on use case... Controllers for example would be the same for either. As would purchasing software. The year of online is cheaper than the competitors by a large margin.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Controllers and games are expensive. Like if you buy a new controller, a new game, and online on other consoles outside of current deals it's like 180$

Oct 26, 2017
You don't NEED a second controller. You can play 2 players with the joycons in the box.

You don't need to pay for online unless you want to play MK8, Smash or Splatoon 2.

You *definitely* don't NEED a screen protector. Seriously. Unless your wife is 8?
^This

I mean, you can argue this for just about any system, such as getting a headset, paying for online, getting a second controller, expanding internal storage, etc. For the vast majority of people, you don't need all of that extra shit. Lord knows I never bothered

Pretty much all Nintendo hardware is cheaper with the actual system compared to others but then they gouge the ever loving shit out of you in accessories. God help you if your dock breaks, that flimsy piece of plastic with almost nothing in it is like $90 for a replacement.
They don't do that anymore than their competitors, seeing as you don't really need any of the accessories, save for local multiplayer, which is the same for any of the other systems and, if you're somehow finding a way to break your dock, I don't know what to tell you save for perhaps taking better care of your stuff

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Shockingly, the cost of the console doesn't include games and accessories.

Most of the "extra" expenses you listed are either totally unnecessary (car charger, screen protector etc), standard for any video game console (a game lol, a second controller), or cheaper than the industry standard (the online sub).

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
^This

I mean, you can argue this for just about any system, such as getting a headset, paying for online, getting a second controller, expanding internal storage, etc. For the vast majority of people, you don't need all of that extra shit. Lord knows I never bothered

Anything is more expensive when you buy all the accessories.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The television.

Seriously though, a 128GB memory card for $55? Now?

A case and a travel charger aren't mandatory, that's a choice. A second controller also isn't necessary since 1). 2 joycons 2). do you also count the cost of an extra controller when talking about the price of other consoles?

The $20 year of online? A game? These are not part of the cost of the console.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What you're missing is that you really don't need the majority of that.

Just get what you need right now like a game and then buy other stuff when the need arises. If you're getting physical games mainly you don't necessarily need a micro SD card. If your dock isn't broken and you don't foresee that much wear and tear on the screen you don't need a screen protector. I don't know anyone who has purchased a car charger.

Just get what you really need, otherwise you'll wind up paying for stuff you'll never really use.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Honestly, the only real problem there is the games. That's like saying that you NEED to buy a second controller, a good pair of headsets, an external HDD and a 4k HDR TV just to get a PS4 Pro

Oct 27, 2017
You really made this just to complain about voluntarily buying a bunch of completely optional accessories? Or because games cost the same as other systems? The only necessary ones IMO are an SD card and another controller

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018

You don't NEED to pay for online unless you want to play MK8, Smash or Splatoon 2.

Also, 128 GB card is pretty hefty. I've found 64 to be more than plenty, though I'll admit most of my Switch games are physical.

No offense man, but it sounds like the guy at the shop took you to the cleaners.
I wouldn't give my worst enemy a single joycon

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Wired controllers are usually cheaper even if they don't have the full set of features the (excellent) pro controller. For that matter, stuff like 8bitdo's line is almost feature-complete with the pro controller and is significantly cheaper.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

You definitely need a screen protector. My dock scratched the shit out of my screen.

You also don't NEED a Switch, blah blah.

Oct 27, 2017
I traded in my extra PS4 a few months back when they had a great trade-in deal at EBs. My plan is to gift it to my wife for the holidays. I have started looking at games and accessories and I am kind of shocked at what appears to be a pretty steep price to set up the console at a respectable level of function.

I may be incorrect on some assumptions here, so please correct me if I am misunderstanding things. It seems like the following are common purchases for most users?

A year of online $20
A screen protector $10

Some those are options

But let's compare to an another console in the same vein..

Tv $200-10,000
Stereo $100-100,000
Heaphones $20-2,000
Extra controllers $60 * friends/family
Online $60
Game pass /psnow $60
Etc....

=P

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
-128gb is literally $20 on amazon right now.
-you basically have 2 controllers to use off the bat, if you want a pro controller, that's based on personal preference, but isn't required.
-Mario Odyssey (unless you were talking about some other Mario game) has been down to $40 throughout the year.
-you shouldn't even be whining about spending money on a screen protector, unless you're dropping your Switch around every second, a single screen protector will last you forever basically.

-Video games are a luxury by the way, a lot of people continue to forget that.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought like 2 of those things OP

Protector+ Mario

the fact it has 2 controllers out of the box is a plus

Oct 26, 2017
You definitely need a screen protector. My dock scratched the shit out of my screen.

You also don't NEED a Switch, blah blah.
In that case, using a bit of padding on the dock might've done you better than going and getting a screen protector. Granted, I haven't had any issues with scratches on my end but that's what I'd have gone for, if it was a concern

Apr 21, 2018
i-JpfZqn4.jpg

VICTORsaurio

Mar 10, 2018
You're reaching quite a bit, you get 2 controllers out of the box and I'm sure plenty of kids are happy playing fortnite and other FTP games on switch.

Oct 25, 2017
128GB card was on sale today for like $20.

System also already comes with a second controller so if the price turns you off you can just rock the joy con

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you buy every accessory possible, of course it'll be expensive. I only bought the console and a game last year and it was fine and not expensive.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
You need to pay for electricity and rent for a place to charge it too. And you got to buy food so you can keep being alive to play. What a scam

Oct 25, 2017
Gf was interested in picking up a Switch so we could play Pokemon together. We saw it was still $300 and felt we could wait until a revision.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

bro no. you can easily find a 128gb for ~$20

but other than the screen protector and case, aren't the other purchases not unique to the Switch at all? Those would apply to a PS4 or Xbox as well.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn.....that's expensive. Luckily, im one of the few where the Switch is just for me and I only buy and play physical games. No digital anything for me.