• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What are the steps?

She wouldn't be in the same house but wanted to get her one for animal crossing.

Any restrictions? What are the steps? Will both need online checks?

Can I link my account to a third switch too? Or are there limits

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Set her Switch as the primary system for your account, and vice versa. You can link an account to multiple systems, but only the primary system will allow the game to be used without online checks/by other users.

Nov 1, 2017
Pretty sure eShop purchases are tied to one Switch system at a time. If you want to play your purchases on a different system, you have to transfer your account to her system.

Edit: Or the above poster might be onto something.

Edit #2: Looks like I was wrong, with some caveats.

Last edited:

BurstLayer

Feb 6, 2019
Set your account as primary on her switch. She wont be online checked to start game but you will, only need online to start game can disconnect after

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Set one as the primary and one as the secondary. Online checks are only required for the secondary. My boyfriend uses the og Switch as the primary and I still have access to all of the digital purchases, I just need to perform online checks.

You'll also have to make sure your user account is on both systems. Other users can play the your games as long as the account that purchased them is also on the system.

EDIT: Always having to perform online checks has never felt like a hindrance either. If I'm at a cafe or in the car I just tether my phone. I suppose the only time that wouldn't work is flying, so maybe have a few cartridge games if you fly a lot.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Can I do this with two other switches not just another one? Also how do I set it to primary

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It works just like PlayStation

Your account licenses are static on one platform (the primary acct platform does not require a check-in to play its own software)
- This is your sharing platform { The Family one } all accounts get access to all of the primary accounts software

The other consoles use floating licenses {your account is secondary and requires online check-ins to access software)
- this is your personal platform {accts only have access to their own software}

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
You basically get two licenses when you purchase a game on a console (since last gen). One "for you" and one "for your primary console".

On the primary console (which you can set to whichever you want) any account can play your games freely. No internet connection required for anyone.
Since you always have the license with you tho, you can always play the game on any console you put your account on but you will need to be online to do it.

To change primary console you have to go to you account settings in the shop on your current primary Switch and deactivate it. This is automatically the first Switch you logged into the shop on.
If you then login on your mom's Switch, that will be your primary instead.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Can I do this with two other switches not just another one? Also how do I set it to primary
Any given account can only have one primary system at a time, but you can link your account to multiple other Switches. In other words, you can play your own games on any system that has internet access, but you can only share games on the primary system.

To change the primary system, open the eshop on the primary system, press your avatar to open Account Information, scroll down to Primary Console, and click deregister. Then sign in to the eshop on the other Switch (In this case, your mother's Switch). That Switch will automatically be set as the primary system for your account.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
But why does my moms have to be primary? Why not the other way round?

A;so if she's using it does that mean I can't use mine at the same time elsewhere to play another game?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A;so if she's using it does that mean I can't use mine at the same time elsewhere to play another game?

Yes your accts primary console is the Family/sharing based one or else she would only be able to play games she purchased on her acct.

If she is playing a game you purchased on her acct (which is only possible if that console is flagged as your accts primary) there are no problems. If someone logs into your acct on the primary console your game would suspend on the secondary console.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018

The one that is least likely to be on the internet should be set to the primary. I have the same situation with my son. He doesn't need to be on the internet, so I set his as the primary. The secondary account is always going to attempt to go online to see if the primary is in use, if it is, you are out of luck. I am always online with mine and he is not which allows us to play at the same time.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Secondary consoles can only play games on the account that purchased them. If you have Nintendo online, she could accidentally everything with cloud saves if she had to play on your account like that.

By making her switch the primary, she can play on her own account while you can play on yours on your own switch.