• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
So I was playing AC Origins recently and I never really paid attention to the game's box art until recently. Having spent tons of time in the game now and having taken deep look at the game's box art, I realized how well articulated and well designed it is, especially at conveying what to expect from the game.

The draw distance insinuates vast explorable regions, the boats suggest sea travel and swimming, hippos show the existence of wildlife, etc. Almost everything on this cover gives you an idea of what to expect from the game.

3246063-aco_pack_agnostic_bxsht2d_e3_170611_330pm_us.jpg

Uncharted 2 also does this extremely well. You can tell it's a sort of a platformer that involves climbing, the gun suggests shooter elements, and the "peril" the protagonist is facing suggests a high-octane story.

cover.jpg

Any other boxarts out there that do a stellar job of conveying a game in the same vein as these two?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
blue.png

Just Link and a huge, beautiful world. Perfectly fitting for BoTW.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
latest

You look at this and you know what the game is about- the sense of wonder, discovery, exploration, and adventure, as well as the idea of a Hyrule overrun by the Calamity's scourge, taken over by wilderness, all of that is conveyed and contained within this picture. You also get an idea of the game's stylized graphics right away, and additionally, the logo instantly conveys the story behind the Master Sword.

It's, simply put, one of the greatest box arts of all time.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
You look at this and you know what the game is about- the sense of wonder, discovery, exploration, and adventure, as well as the idea of a Hyrule overrun by the Calamity's scourge, taken over by wilderness, all of that is conveyed and contained within this picture. You also get an idea of the game's stylized graphics right away, and additionally, the logo instantly conveys the story behind the Master Sword.

I don't like the color scheme NEARLY as much as the PAL box art, and Link's pose is just super generic. Agreed on everything else though.

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Ico_cover_-_EU%2BJP.jpg

latest

This one too.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Obligatory Mega Man and Batman Arkham City (GOTY) post in this thread.

For me.... The Horizon Complete Edition does a wonderful job. And the Motorstorm (the first one and the EU Cover specifically). God I love Motorstorm (and I miss you).

motorstorm_frontcover_large_eSIIwYg0mlOMnpu.jpg

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Most Monster Hunter boxarts do a good job of this.

12ak6ko0t6c01.jpg

MHXXBoxArt-480x428.jpg

2609439-8087288331-539px.jpg

Dudes in armor + Massive weapons + Even more massive monsters

That's basically all the series is.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So I was playing AC Origins recently and I never really paid attention to the game's box art until recently. Having spent tons of time in the game now and having taken deep look at the game's box art, I realized how well articulated and well designed it is, especially at conveying what to expect from the game.

The draw distance insinuates vast explorable regions, the boats suggest sea travel and swimming, hippos show the existence of wildlife, etc. Almost everything on this cover gives you an idea of what to expect from the game.

3246063-aco_pack_agnostic_bxsht2d_e3_170611_330pm_us.jpg

Uncharted 2 also does this extremely well. You can tell it's a sort of a platformer that involves climbing, the gun suggests shooter elements, and the "peril" the protagonist is facing suggests a high-octane story.

cover.jpg

Any other boxarts out there that do a stellar job of conveying a game in the same vein as these two?

talk about contrast! uncharted 2's cover is a prime example of 'less is more' - it captures in a focused moment the soul of the game. while assassin's creed: origin's cover? it's like a visual compression of the ancient egypt wiki! i mean, what isn't there? ludicrous, generic overkill, that basically tells you where you'll be, rather than what you'll be doing there :) ...

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Oh man, I've not actually played this specific Katamari game, but just seeing the boxart makes me so happy.
its the first Katamari, and probably the best of the series give or take

i highly recommend it, the music is amazing

i think they remixed a lot of the music for Katamari Forever

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
You stole mine OP. Origins' boxart tells you everything you need to know about the game: Egypt is the main attraction. Buckle in.

Plum

May 31, 2018

I don't agree with this one. Yes there's a car you could drive but the crosshair being pointed at it from high above makes it look like the game's a sniper assassin simulator or something. If it didn't have the name or the history I would never guess "top down open world driving/action game," from this.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Excite_Truck_Coverart.png

Big damn trucks racing each other through a forest while making crazy jumps and belching flames from their exhaust pipes, 'NUFF SAID!

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Came to post this but I will offer a complementary pick:

latest

Right away this box art evokes the feeling of adventure and exploration. The overlaying photos of Mario in different locales (underwater, in a city, in a food themed world, in a prehistoric era, etc.) and the top-hat spaceship give meaning to the name Super Mario Odyssey. Additionally, Mario throwing his hat (that appears sentient due to his eyes) reveals the main gameplay mechanic of the game (Cappy), which is also prevalent on the logo as well as the capturing itself being conveyed through the goomba stack in the bottom right.