• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
lPMil8M.png

Summary

Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: April 26, 2019 (worldwide)
Price: $9.99 USD / 9,99 € / £8.99 / ¥1,200
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo
Category: Puzzle, Platformer
Players: 1 or 2 (local co-op)
Format: eShop exclusive
Size: 543 MB / 569 MB

Questions & Answers

What type of game is this?

BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL! is a 2D side-scrolling puzzle platformer. You play as a box that can sprout a chain of boxes, which you manipulate to overcome obstacles. There's a variety of puzzle elements that interact with your boxes, which keep the plentiful 270+ stages fresh, creative, and fun.

Is there a demo available?

Yes. The demo contains 8 solo stages and 8 co-op stages, just enough to briefly explain the basics and introduce a few of the puzzle elements. It's a pretty short demo, but should be enough to pique your interest!

Can I play the co-op stages by myself?

Yes. You'll control Qbby and Qucy one at a time, pressing ZL or ZR to toggle between them.

Wait, they have names?

zzIv04a.png

Do I need to play the previous games in this series?

No. The stories are fairly abstract and cursory, and each game is separate and coherent on its own.

Nintendo did put together a video called "The Story So Far" (see below). And if it doesn't make any sense, don't worry about it, seriously.

What are the previous games in this series?

The three previous games, all for the Nintendo 3DS, are listed below. A physical compilation of the three games was released only in Japan. For the rest of the world, the games are eShop exclusives.

BOXBOY!
BOXBOXBOY!
BYE-BYE BOXBOY!

Media & Links

Official Website

Box Basics Trailer

Overview Trailer

The Story So Far

Reviews

Nintendo World Report: 8/10
BoxBoy+BoxGirl is a successful and enjoyable puzzler with enough new additions in co-op and the rectangular box segments to feel fresh and new. While some aspects of BoxBoy's design are well-worn and overdone in the fourth entry, the entire package is endearingly charming with its minimalist presentation and clever twists that make most retread portions mere bumps in the road that don't detract from the overall fun.

DualShockers: 8/10
From three campaigns to chasing badges, there is a surprisingly hefty amount of head-scratching puzzles that will pull its weight. Whether you are simply killing time or want to crack some puzzles with a friend, BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! is one puzzle game you should not miss.

TheSixthAxis: 8/10
BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! is another quirky, charming puzzle platformer from HAL. It might not have quite as outlandish box types as Bye-Bye BoxBoy!, but it makes up for that as a welcoming entry on Switch for newcomers, stacks and stacks of bitesized puzzles and a new co-op mode to boot.

USgamer: 4/5
BoxBoy + BoxGirl is the most BoxBoy in any package before it, with three campaigns, co-op, and all sorts of new and familiar accessories to slap on your cubular buddies. The newly introduced cooperative puzzles and some of the new concepts are where BoxBoy + BoxGirl shine the brightest, like a yellow laser striking down pain. Even with a bit too much of a samey feel now four games in, and some performance issues when the levels and abilities get complex, BoxBoy + BoxGirl is a swell puzzle outing for the Switch.

Vooks: 4/5
BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL! is a satisfying puzzle adventure with plenty of challenging levels to keep you coming back. The variety of power-ups and unique hazards result in a game that stays fresh across the course of its three main modes. The addition of co-op is extremely welcome, and the tricky bonus objectives highlight the smart puzzle design on offer. If you enjoy pick up and play puzzle games, this is a great addition to your Switch library.

GameRevolution: 4/5
The game is a joy to play through from start to finish, elevated over its predecessors thanks to a smart co-op campaign. In total, there are three campaigns to play through, each offering a ton of value and twists on the series' tried and tested gameplay.

Game Informer: 8.5/10
Many of BoxBoy + BoxGirl's puzzles require some out-of-the-box thinking, but I was rarely stumped for more than a few minutes. If you ever get completely stuck, a hint system readily shows you the solution and can keep you from pulling out your hair. I also appreciate that you often have multiple ways to approach each objective. But if you really want to challenge yourself, you can tackle each level with a limited number of boxes, which earns you coins that can be redeemed for oddball cosmetic items.

GameSpot: 7/10
Brilliantly, you can also play the whole co-op campaign alone, switching between the two characters. Features like this usually don't work so well in games built specifically for co-op, but it's a good fit for these puzzles, which never require simultaneous action from both boxes. With some of Bye-Bye BoxBoy's more inventive elements--such as different block types--having sadly been dropped, co-op is far and away the biggest highlight that this entry brings to the series.

GameXplain: Liked

Waypoint: (no score)
Given that this was my first time playing a BOXBOY game, and given this is the series' Switch debut, I wasn't too sure what to expect, other than at least one box. What I got was way more than one box, and a delightful, side-scrolling puzzle platformer that, despite its consistently difficult stages, I couldn't put down.
That difficulty shouldn't scare you away, though. This game gets hard—like really hard—but I never got frustrated. Between the rewards and assist items you can obtain, BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL! never left me feeling like I didn't have enough to keep going.

Special Thanks

To Baladium, Squid Bunny, and Dash Kappei for their thread title ideas!

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to know that you can play the co-op stages by yourself, can't wait to try those out. Was hoping the game would be out today, but for some reason, it's tomorrow. Kinda hope it's a midnight release since I have tonight off & would be cool to have have some extra time to play it.

*goes back to Picross S3 to help the wait*

Oct 29, 2017
Am I remembering correctly that this is pulling from some of the older BOXBOY games for content, or am I wrong on that? I played a LITTLE bit of the first, but got distracted by life.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Never played this on the 3DS, but because the Switch is my favorite console of all time and I take it everywhere, a nice puzzle platformer like this sounds like my kind of game.

Deleted member 3894

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has weird framerate issues. I'm not going to complain too much because it's a puzzle game, and I'm enjoying the game a lot, but they are distracting to me.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, doesn't seem to be a midnight release? Guess it'll be available when I wake up.

Starkiller

Jan 30, 2018
Does anyone know what time it goes live? I pre purchased the game and it keeps saying "you cannot play this software yet"

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what time it goes live? I pre purchased the game and it keeps saying "you cannot play this software yet"
Most likely tomorrow/Friday at noon Eastern/9 a.m. Pacific, the same time the eShop updates on Thursdays. Not sure why it just wasn't released yesterday, nor at midnight considering it's a first party title.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a midnight release in europe at least.
Played the first couple of worlds. As expected it's pretty much more BOXBOY, so if you liked the previous games you'll enjoy this one too. Have not tried the Coop stuff yet.

The game has weird framerate issues. I'm not going to complain too much because it's a puzzle game, and I'm enjoying the game a lot, but they are distracting to me.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Oh cool! These were always on my 3DS wish list, looking forward to checking these out. Respect to overlooked non-smash HAL games

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say that the caption for this OT is incredible.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is just the game I need for my commutes right now, as Baba is You has gone too difficult and it can be quite frustrating if I don't finish a single level during it.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Wish they had done more to change this one up. From the demo and what I have seen it at least doesn't feel as samey as Boxboxboy, but after being content with the first and third entries this seems kind of underwhelming. Co-op is a welcome addition regardless

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the Japanese version on the Eshop has English (not that it would probably be an issue). I have spare credit on there so might as well use it for that if I can.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I can't believe how good this game is and how much content it has for the asking price. Definitely recommend.

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
Why is all this cool stuff releasing within two days? Not sure when I will get round to starting this.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it feels weird not having the bottom screen showing me stuff like the box/crown limit for earning the collectibles. Kinda wish it was part of the UI, next to the box number.

Also no amiibo support like with the previous game? Aww.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
So good! Just reached world 12 so things tend to ratchet up from here in the series. I like some of the new elements at play like the dig world even with my clumsy erasing of the blocks.

OP
OP
CaptainK

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Ahhh, I just got home and can finally play!

I noticed Nintendo uploaded "The Story So Far" video ... and it's probably confusing as heck to newcomers, heh. But it did make me want to re-watch the cutscenes from the previous games.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if it's possible in World 7-6 to get both medals for getting the crowns & staying under the limit at the same time? I can do one or the other, but not both.

Edit: Figured it out, damn that was actually rather clever.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man, it feels weird not having the bottom screen showing me stuff like the box/crown limit for earning the collectibles. Kinda wish it was part of the UI, next to the box number.

Also no amiibo support like with the previous game? Aww.

That's confirmed? If so, the only good news is that I will get to keep this bad boy sealed up on my collectibles shelf:

51M1H0PhQrL._SX342_.jpg

(it's my only sealed Amiibo)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to find anything about amiibo support, & I feel like there would've been confirmation before the game came out if there was considering they did that with the 3rd game on 3DS with the Kirby amiibo.

Wouldn't mind the Quby amiibo but sheeeesh at its pricing.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
First Boyboy game I've tried. It's quite fun. Stuff like this always makes you realize there really is a million ideas for games out there.

OP
OP
CaptainK

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Just finished world 11 and I love the new mechanics. The box idea started out so basic but it's come a long way. Still amazing potential.

I gotta say I'm a bit annoyed the accessories are bought in random order. Why is everything gacha, worst trend ever.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to world 13. World 12 was probably the first true "hard" world in trying to figure out how to stay under the box limit while getting all the crowns. I'd have to go back & remember which game was the hardest, but this one feels like it ramps up a bit quicker.

OP
OP
CaptainK

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
All done.

I love this series :D
Nice! Does that include getting all S-ranks? I've gotten all crowns and medals in the previous games, but never bothered S-ranking all the levels. Always wondered if there was an extra reward or distinction.
Made it to world 13. World 12 was probably the first true "hard" world in trying to figure out how to stay under the box limit while getting all the crowns. I'd have to go back & remember which game was the hardest, but this one feels like it ramps up a bit quicker.
Yeah, I'm at the same point, and I've been right at the box limit or maybe 1 under on these levels. There was definitely more room for error in the earlier worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nice! Does that include getting all S-ranks? I've gotten all crowns and medals in the previous games, but never bothered S-ranking all the levels. Always wondered if there was an extra reward or distinction.

I've got 2 stars on A Tale for One and that was for beating all levels and meeting all targets. Doing all the Balloon Challenges doesn't net another star - so perhaps, a third and final star comes from getting an A or S rank on each level?

Also, it's really interesting how they chose to make this game a prequel. I suppose it makes sense given the ending of Bye-Bye BoxBoy!.

After seeing the ending, I went back to the original BoxBoy and was astounded that the two scenes lined up exactly: at the end of this game, you are thrown onto the planet as a grey box after the meteor crashes into it (with a white background and black floor), and then a white box drops down next to you. As soon as start the first BoxBoy... well, you drop down next to a grey box, against an empty white background and black floor. They must've been planning a prequel for some time! I wonder why it never came to 3DS - instead, they chose a sequel with BoxBoxBoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaptainK

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I feel like I completely broke world 14 by using momentum to glide around. I got all the crowns with far less than the box limit. Actually used 0 boxes on levels 14-1, 14-5, and 14-7.

Anyone played through co-op alongside someone else? Good times?
Good times, even though it's just been me telling my partner what to do, since I've played the previous games. Might be more fun if we actually had to discuss squabble with each other over how to solve the puzzles :P

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Huh. I just managed to find the secret ending to A Tale for One. I don't think it's the real ending, because this game wouldn't be a prequel otherwise.

Beat A Tale for One, A Tale for Two and A Tall Tale, then equip all the fragment items you unlock and re-do the ending to A Tale for One.

I really like A Tall Tale. The way you have to approach puzzles is really different, which makes them a nice challenge. I wonder why they never got around to doing such a mode earlier in the series?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
About done with world 15 & man, it's nuts they're still thinking up new mechanics for this series. If there's bonus worlds, it's gonna be nuts to see them combine certain mechanics together for some real brain teasers.

Edit: Beat world 16 &....huh, that was an ending. Guess I need to beat the two other modes to get another ending.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Got 2 stars on the 3 modes as well, will try to S rank at least the first one.
About done with world 15 & man, it's nuts they're still thinking up new mechanics for this series. If there's bonus worlds, it's gonna be nuts to see them combine certain mechanics together for some real brain teasers.

Edit: Beat world 16 &....huh, that was an ending. Guess I need to beat the two other modes to get another ending.
Notice what you unlock when you complete one mode.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Beat world 16 &....huh, that was an ending. Guess I need to beat the two other modes to get another ending.

Correct: beating all three tales will give a full picture for what happens during the game, leading up to the ending you've just seen. It might help to look at what you've unlocked too, as Kouriozan pointed out. If you want a slightly better ending (though not the 'real' ending), you'll need to figure out what those Fragments are for...

OP
OP
CaptainK

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
So far I've finished A Tale for One and A Tall Tale. Getting the crowns while staying under the box limit was a good challenge in the last world of A Tall Tale, but I managed it! Whew!

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat it 100% and thought it was great. I'm not going for any higher ranks than what I got though.

I love this series, now I'm hoping for a Pushmo game for the Switch and a sequel to Hal's Part-time U.F.O.

-All 3 stories beat.
-All stages complete.
-All crown's collected.
-All accessories, music & comics bought.
-All ballon challenges completed .

I went back to the previous games to look up my in game times for beating them 100 percent
Boxboy! = 6:36:00
Boxbox Boy! = 6:55:00
Bye-bye Boxboy! = 8:26:00

As you can see by the picture below this game comes in at 8:42:00 (plus add @ another hour to do the ballon challenges). So while this one has the most worlds, it was a lot easier than the 3rd game for me.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
This game is so good...the challenge is just perfect for my tastes. HAL also managed to create so much atmosphere with so little...I hope it will do well on the eshop.

Nov 2, 2017
I had been hoping to pick up one (or more) of the Boxboy games on the 3DS. Do series fans recommend one or two over the other(s) or all three?

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
How many worlds are in this one? I remember that Goodbye Boxboy (the third game in the series) had a bunch of them, each one about a clever idea that never got repeated, but Boxboxboy (the second one) was just an expansion of the first game gimmicks only that with two set of boxes.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
How many worlds are in this one? I remember that Goodbye Boxboy (the third game in the series) had a bunch of them, each one about a clever idea that never got repeated, but Boxboxboy (the second one) was just an expansion of the first game gimmicks only that with two set of boxes.
A Tale for One = 16 worlds
A Tale For Two = 11 worlds
A Tall Tale = 13 worlds

I believe the previous games had 22, 18 & 27 worlds each. If I'm correct.

and each mode has their own balloon popping challenges as well.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I discovered a very crucial thing in the co-op mode: If you hold Y while forming the boxes & swap characters, the other character will still be in "box forming" mode, meaning if you swap back, you can undo the box forming & thus not have it count towards the total. I was able to beat world 2-5 with only 2 boxes made when the requirement for the best score was 11.