• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Boxer Maxim Dadashev has died at the age of 28 from injuries suffered during his fight against Subriel Matias on Friday.

Dadashev's trainer, Buddy McGirt, and his strength and conditioning coach, Donatas Janusevicius, informed ESPN of Dadashev's death.

McGirt threw in the towel after the 11th round of Friday's bout, and Dadashev later underwent surgery to relieve a subdural hematoma (brain bleeding), which resulted in him being placed in a medically induced coma.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Shame. RIP. People cringe at dudes getting knocked unconscious but it's the accumulation of hits over the course of a long fight that are really the most dangerous thing about boxing. It's why the jobs of trainers or refs who have to stop the fights are so important, and also why I can never get mad at refs in mma/boxing who err on the side of caution and possibly stop a fight too soon, as opposed to too late.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A couple weeks back there was a thread where a guy got knocked out by a flying knee and punched a few times on the floor. People talked on an on about how dangerous it is, and how barbaric it looked. This is not a fight about MMA vs boxing or anything like that. I just want to show people the dangers of combat sports, and how the worst and deadliest injuries don't come from the flashy knockouts, but by the slow and sustained head damage.

Maxim Dadashev, a promising 28 year old boxer got into the ring last Saturday in the Teofimo undercard and suffered enough to die a few days later from brain damage. He was getting beat up, but an untrained person might not see anything TOO bad with the fight. Look at some of the ESPN highlights

Buddy McGirt, Dadashev's coach, does have a trained eye and he could tell something was wrong. He stopped the fight. Here are the last 30 seconds of the fight. You can clearly see his legs giving, his coordination is going and he is taking damage. However, for the past 10 rounds there was nothing to indicate the damage he was receiving was dangerous. It looked like a good fight where one guy was just winning. The fight got stopped, Dadashev looked dazed but nothing notable. A few hours later his brain swelled and he had to get emergency brain surgery and just today he died.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has been boxing for 9 years until injury stopped me, everyone knows it's a risk of the sport.
RIP to him anyway.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Weird to me that the trainer is begging the fighter to "let" him stop the fight. Like, a brain damaged/concussed person is in no state to make that call, you need to do it on your own and throw the damn towel in.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
the video of him being helped to a stretcher then vomiting was a rough watch. i was hoping he would be OK but shit. the towel should've been thrown in sooner

RIP

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
The rules of boxing needs to be updated. Next to football, boxing seems to have the most injuries. I like combative sports, but not at the expense of those who compete.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that sucks. So young to die in such an unfortunate way.

The rules of boxing needs to be updated. Next to football, boxing seems to have the most injuries. I like combative sports, but not at the expense of those who compete.

There's no way the rules can make boxing safe. It is inherently harmful. Headgear doesn't stop brain trauma.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Im all for making gloves 2 oz lighter, extending clinches and allowing punches while your off hand is on the opponent. Besides that, the other changes are more on the athletic commission and how to deal with weight cuts and suspensions.

Oct 27, 2017

The reason that football has the most injuries is because of the huge number of people that play it. Atleast with football most injuries are on the feet/legs, although you do see concussions every now and then (and the freak accidents like what happened to Petr Cech a number of years ago). With boxing the injuries are pretty much always head trauma and far more dangerous.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt realize that. Well his trainer knew enough to plead w the boxer for him to end it, its a shame he didnt listen to his trainer or simply let his trainer end it. Very sad.

A lot of times those conversations are being had between boxer/trainer in order for the trainer to try and gauge just how much fighter has left in him. A lot of it is reading body language. An example of this is the upset victory of Andy Ruiz over Anthony Joshua a few months back. AJ wasn't getting busted up and bloodied, but his body language screamed that's he was done and defeated, and the ref saw that and rightfully stopped the fight.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
That's no excuse not to make something illegal.

Sure, my train of thought was mostly that at least in its current form there are some regulations and immediate access to medical support available.

Either way, there will be people seeking out contact sports, it would need a massive shift in society's stance on these kind of sports to change things long term rather than only a ban

Here come the ban boxing & mma takes. I doubt most see just how privileged of a stance that is. For some boxing is the only way to escape the struggles of their everyday life. If people are willing to put their bodies on the line in exchange for obtaining wealth, I think 10/10 times they decide the risk is worth the reward.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The reason that football has the most injuries is because of the huge number of people that play it. Atleast with football most injuries are on the feet/legs, although you do see concussions every now and then (and the freak accidents like what happened to Petr Cech a number of years ago). With boxing the injuries are pretty much always head trauma and far more dangerous.
I don't think you are talking about the same sport.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the number of rounds should be reduced. Usually it's not one single hard blow that causes damage but sustained blows throughout multiple rounds.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
what if we didn't have sports based around hurting each other
People would do it illegal outside (like they already do in a lot of countries). These guys need this kind of thrill in their life. I rather see it regulated.
It's also an opportunity for some to get out of a shitty life. Banning these sports will just make you unaware of a much bigger problem.

Last edited: