• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I think thats a little unfair. He's fighting against a top level heavyweight boxer in his 2nd ever professional fight. He was outclassed because he should be. Like someone mentioned above if anything this just shows how unserious Fury was in his fight.
Joshua was well beaten by Ruiz at one point.

I guess considering Ngannou's age, his time in the sport might instead of getting a chance to correct the wrongs from tonight.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Joshua was well beaten by Ruiz at one point.

I guess considering Ngannou's age, his time in the sport might instead of getting a chance to correct the wrongs from tonight.

Ruiz was a well regarded, seasoned, and very good professional boxer. Francis Ngannou is none of those things. It's unfair really to expect a whole lot more of a guy at this level. People who didn't think this outcome was the likely possibility were the ones buying into the hype, not Francis.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Hearn was really doing Usyk dirty in that interview, but I guess he's being honest - the AJ Fury fight would make a lot more money than seeing AJ get out boxed for a 3rd time.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Ruiz was a well regarded, seasoned, and very good professional boxer. Francis Ngannou is none of those things. It's unfair really to expect a whole lot more of a guy at this level. People who didn't think this outcome was the likely possibility were the ones buying into the hype, not Francis.
I won't pretend to know everything about boxing, but Ruiz appeared to be a relative unknown when they first met, particularly in the United Kingdom. It's understandable if things were completely different in the United States.

Did you observe what Ngannou said to Fury during the press conference? He was clearly buying into it. In terms of the outcome, I'm surprised by the character of it rather than the fact that it happened.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I won't pretend to know everything about boxing, but Ruiz appeared to be a relative unknown when they first met, particularly in the United Kingdom. It's understandable if things were completely different in the United States.

Did you observe what Ngannou said to Fury during the press conference? He was clearly buying into it. In terms of the outcome, I'm surprised by the character of it rather than the fact that it happened.

Ruiz was definitely not an unknown. He was a very well regarded, proven heavyweight boxer. Heading into that first fight with AJ he was 33-1. He was an underdog against AJ when they fought not because he was trash, but because at that time AJ was regarded as one of the best heavyweights in the world.

Someone else mentioned above, there are levels to this. The best boxers in the world have almost all been putting in work, training, getting rounds of experience against the best of the best at all levels since they were amateurs. Francis Ngannou is nowhere near the level of even an Andy Ruiz. I think to try and say Francis' ego got too big or he bought into his own hype is trying to create a narrative to find a reason where there doesn't really need to be one. The reason Francis Ngannou got knocked out was because he is a relative novice boxer who got in the ring with one of the best boxers in the world who has KO'd 24 of his 27 opponents prior to this.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
That's what happens when a legit top level heavyweight who takes the fight seriously fights Ngannou. The Fury "fight" was totally unserious and a sham. Fury didn't take that fight seriously for one second, and this just goes to show how Ngannou is rightfully outclassed at that level (as he should be)

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
That final right was telegraphed the entire way, without any fear of being counterpunched. There are levels to this, and AJ went out to show that and end Ngannou

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That final right was telegraphed the entire way, without any fear of being counterpunched. There are levels to this, and AJ went out to show that and end Ngannou

yeah I can't remember the last time I've seen a looping hand like that completely catch a boxer by surprise and land so cleanly. I imagine Francis was basically out on his feet at that point.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
This proves fury basically duran'd his way into the ngannou fight. Which was very apparent at the time but even more so now

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel this AJ beats Fury and Usuyk. For years AJ has been coached away from his strengths. Ben Davidson is doing the complete opposite.

AJ is the most destructive combination puncher in the division and when his punching through the target his deadly. His the best finisher where once he hurts an opponent he takes them out.

Good to have ya back AJ!!!!

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
So happy Francis got paid, but come on...this is what happens when an elite boxer takes a fight seriously.

Fury didn't give a fuck. We all knew that.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
You can take absolutely nothing from this fight for Joshua, he just pounded on a guy who had no business being in the ring with him

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So happy Francis got paid, but come on...this is what happens when an elite boxer takes a fight seriously.

Fury didn't give a fuck. We all knew that, maybe some trolls and idiots online may finally stop acting otherwise.

I think the fact that Fury cannot move like he used to also played a part. I always thought Fury turning more into a come forward puncher was more down to his legs not like they were and that version of Fury would be in big trouble vs the speed and power of AJ. Just like with Francis, Fury would not be able to win the clinch battle vs AJ.

View: https://x.com/elusiveraf/status/1766264114156879907?s=20

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Could be. I still think it's more Fury thought he could come in to the fight in the worst shape of his fighting career, not train, and just lean on someone who's career has been built on his size and athleticism.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could be. I still think it's more Fury thought he could come in to the fight in the worst shape of his fighting career, not train, and just lean on someone who's career has been built on his size and athleticism.

One major difference I noticed was Francis wasnt biting when Fury was using feints.

Tonight he was biting hard from AJ's feints. When he got knocked down it was throwing a lazy jab which is disaster when a quick right hand comes over the top of that jab.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fury looked total garbage in their fight . If the fury from the second wilder fight had fought Francis it would be been an early 3 to 5 round KO.

Fury was just lazy and cocky and didn't train. Probably the best thing that could have happened to fury pre uysk fight tbh. Maybe it'll re motivate him.

Joshua just looks unstoppable with Ben Davison tho. What an insane KO. You don't recover well from one like that at Francis age.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would be interesting to see how Ngannou sparring sessions go. One thing I last night was he sometimes leads with a left hook. AJ would feint and draw a lead left hook which technically is suicide vs a puncher. Now of course habits like that cannot be easily eradicated when you are a novice coming to the game so late.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Good and kept up with the plan for Fundora. I don't want to see Fundora vs Spence but it is what it is.

Tszyu is a beast for still trying to fight even with one eye for the whole fight. Props to him too.

Also, Spence gonna put a beating on Fundora tho.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Tszyu was fighting with one eye and constantly wiping the blood so he could gauge his distance to land his punches. It happens and, of course, it's all entirely on the bleeding boxer to overcome it. Tszyu did what he could.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
In the last 5-10 years of boxing, this is probably the biggest asterisk win i have seen. Fundora would have been stopped in round 3 or 4, he was pissing out blood and his chest was painted red.
Makes me think there should be height and weight accounted for these divisions, Tim only walked into his elbow because he is fighting a uniquely tall 6'6 guy in a division full of 5'8 people. Im surprised Spence didn't break out the champagne, what an easy way for him to get belts back.

fzburner

Jul 3, 2023
No better example of boxing being a dying sport than trying to force a Fundora-Spence fight over Fundora-Crawford

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Brutal loss for Tszyu. He was trying to parlay this into a big money fight. Taking such a weird matchup on short notice + fighting through the cut deserves credit but damn.

fzburner

Jul 3, 2023
Crawford would kill Fundora lol. Spence at least will make it look competitive.

You could kind of just see the look on Spence's face when he looked at Fundora like, "damn I gotta fight this dude??"
Definitely agree it's just the terrible sell of it that's the problem. PPV fight of Fundora vs a guy who has never fought at 154 and coming off a brutal one sided KO loss. Tszyu vs Thurman was bad enough already lmao

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree it's just the terrible sell of it that's the problem. PPV fight of Fundora vs a guy who has never fought at 154 and coming off a brutal one sided KO loss. Tszyu vs Thurman was bad enough already lmao

Fundora wins a belt after coming off of a knockout loss a year ago vs a Spence that's been in multiple car crashes and being knocked out by Crawford. Make it make sense!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Does Fundora have two exciting mandatories already waiting for him? Never mind that, all that matters is Spence is a "PPV draw" so he gets first dibs
It's clear what the PBC plan is. Give Spence an easy way to get his belts back via Fundora, then set up the big $$$$ fight rematch with Bud. Probably at 154 this time.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Even then I don't think Spence even gets the Bud rematch. The dude gets himself into too much trouble (car-wise) that he'll never get the rematch. He don't need it.

Crawford thinking of money moves. He's gonna wait for that Canelo paycheck and then sail off into the great lake of Superior (listen that's the closest thing to an ocean I have in Minnesota lol.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Even then I don't think Spence even gets the Bud rematch. The dude gets himself into too much trouble (car-wise) that he'll never get the rematch. He don't need it.

Crawford thinking of money moves. He's gonna wait for that Canelo paycheck and then sail off into the great lake of Superior (listen that's the closest thing to an ocean I have in Minnesota lol.
I think Canelo/Bud is too much of an ask. Canelo is too big and doesn't at all seem interested in that fight and says even if he wins people will say he was too big so it doesn't count. Bud going up to 168 seems difficult and will likely slow him down, unless Bud just really whats another big payday before he hangs it up and doesn't care about taking an L.