• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
I absolutely agree. But if Fury did manage to beat Wilder 3 fights into his comeback then he can be mentioned as a GOAT. If he beat AJ straight after in April then there is absolutely no doubt of his GOAT status.

All a very big if though. He beats neither imo.
No, there isnt enough great heavyweight's to be able to get that goat status. It is recently getting better, we will see how it looks a few years from now.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
No, there isnt enough great heavyweight's to be able to get that goat status. It is recently getting better, we will see how it looks a few years from now.

Many boxers that are considered GOAT never beat anyone remotely close to AJ or Wilder. Tyson is a good example. Who did Tyson beat? He never beat anyone of note throughout his whole career. He lost everytime he faced a great heavyweight. His best win was not a natural heavyweight.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many boxers that are considered GOAT never beat anyone remotely close to AJ or Wilder. Tyson is a good example. Who did Tyson beat? He never beat anyone of note throughout his whole career. He lost everytime he faced a great heavyweight. His best win was not a natural heavyweight.
I don't consider Tyson a Top 5 or even Top 10 heavyweight for that matter. Also Tyson is elevated due to the way he destroyed his opponents and becoming youngest Heavyweight champion ever and how small he was beating bigger guys and the blend of incredible speed, technical skill, and raw power he had. People also take into consideration the death of his trainer and impact it had afterward, and being left alone to his own self destructive devices. We never saw that same Tyson again.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider Tyson a Top 5 or even Top 10 heavyweight for that matter. Also Tyson is elevated due to the way he destroyed his opponents and becoming youngest Heavyweight champion ever and how small he was beating bigger guys and the blend of incredible speed, technical skill, and raw power he had. People also take into consideration the death of his trainer and impact it had afterward, and being left alone to his own self destructive devices. We never saw that same Tyson again.

Tyson is very widely considered one of the greatest of all time with a very poor record. Very poor. He did look good against the weak opposition he faced and he did have some legit excuses as to why he was so shit when he finally faced good opposition, but the fact is he is considered a GOAT without beating anyone of note. This is just an example of how previous generation fighters get overrated whilst this current gen gets rinsed. Second tier fighters of this generation like Ortiz would be able to beat most guys from the 90s. They just aren't hyped because nobody gives a fuck about the heavyweight division anymore.

That being said, the 70s was clearly a very special time for the division.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tyson is very widely considered one of the greatest of all time with a very poor record. Very poor. He did look good against the weak opposition he faced and he did have some legit excuses as to why he was so shit when he finally faced good opposition, but the fact is he is considered a GOAT without beating anyone of note. This is just an example of how previous generation fighters get overrated whilst this current gen gets rinsed. Second tier fighters of this generation like Ortiz would be able to beat most guys from the 90s. They just aren't hyped because nobody gives a fuck about the heavyweight division anymore.

That being said, the 70s was clearly a very special time for the division.
You still keep misusing that term GOAT. LOL. I think Tyson in general gets overrated but I understand why because he was a phenomenon unlike anything we'd ever seen before that swept over the sport at the time. However you're vastly underrating the 90's heavyweights and overrating today's heavyweights. That's why I said you sound young to me, because I lived through and watched the 80's and 90's Heavyweights and it just comes across that you lack that context hence some of the things you're saying. . And I'm saying that with all due respect.

Last edited:

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Fury's gonna get dropped. He's a massive target with little power for his size, who's been skilled enough to dance around a bunch of stiffs and an old Wlad.

Even in his best form, Wilder eventually catches him. Twice the athlete and in the same ballpark of height and reach, this is where Fury's finesse style fails.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
how do you know those boxers dont compare to aj and wilder?

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
Wilder is just a brute imo. Aj is a more technically gifted boxer in my opinion and a lot more disciplined. He'll easily win against wilder.

I personally think the wilder and fury fight is one fight too early for fury. Wilder is going exhaust fury unless fury manages the fight and himself.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how do you know those boxers dont compare to aj and wilder?
It's nonsense. You mean to tell me Povetkin can come in with no jab and lead with jump hooks and overhand right's and land at will and buckle AJ in the first round but a much faster and powerful prime Tyson with better footwork and technique with much quicker hands couldn't do the same but instead finish him off?

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's nonsense. You mean to tell me Povetkin can come in with no jab and lead with jump hooks and overhand right's and land at will and buckle AJ in the first round but a much faster and powerful prime Tyson with better footwork and technique with much quicker hands couldn't do the same but instead finish him off?
I would say AJ would find it easier to beat Fury, his best work is against taller opponents

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
That was a pretty mate and dangerous stoppage. It's clear after the initial flurry that it was game over, even his coach didn't want him back in the ring with AJ

I understand fans wanna see action, but not at the cost of our fighters

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
You still keep misusing that term GOAT. LOL. I think Tyson in general gets overrated but I understand why because he was a phenomenon unlike anything we'd ever seen before that swept over the sport at the time. However you're vastly underrating the 90's heavyweights and overrating today's heavyweights. That's why I said you sound young to me, because I lived through and watched the 80's and 90's Heavyweights and it just comes across that you lack that context hence some of the things you're saying. . And I'm saying that with all due respect.

I am not misusing any term. And you are acting condescending yet again. Stop. I do not need to live through the 80s to know that era of boxing. Nor do I have to live through the 70s to know that era.

What issue do you have with my comments on the 90s heavyweights? Do you them 5'10 champions would be able to dominate in the current era? Do you think a 5'10 Tyson or Holyfield would be able to beat the current champions with such a disadvantage? Why do you think there are not heavyweights that small now? No fighter can compete in this division at that height. It is not possible. Even Povetkin who is 4 inches taller than Tyson and Holyfield cannot compete at the top level due to his height. Prime Holyfield had huge struggles whenever he stepped up to good fighters who were 6'4+. There is a reason the taller fighters almost always got the better of the shorter fighters who are on the same level of skill as them. Why do you think they would be able to compete in an era where the tallest champ is almost a foot taller than them? You always say some condescending nonsense and then don't elaborate one what exactly you mean or why I am wrong.

You say Fury wouldn't even be top 10 if he beat both Wilder and AJ after his layoff. Who are these 10 heavyweight boxers. Because nobody from the 90s is even close to having achieved something like that. To go from a drug fuelled 2 year layoff where he was morbidly obese to becoming unified world champion within 4 fights and 10 months of his comeback would be unreal. It would make any achievement from any boxer in the 90s look like nothing. It would show such an insane amount of skill that even complete disregard to his health and body made no difference.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Something about Joshua's body always comes across as really awkward for boxing. He just doesn't seem flexible/pliable as other great tall HWs in the past. Wilder is a little the same way when I see him fight. It's like it limits the the way they fight. As soon as someone gets inside on Joshua it doesn't feel like he has a lot of options.
It was either here or the other place, but someone called AJ "Frank Bruno 2.0"

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't imagine Joshua beating Wilder.

Tyson, I have no idea, we'll see how he is, complete wildcard right now.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
An old as fuck Evander gave Lennox trouble(in the rematch) so I definitely think he'd beat the current heavyweights on his best day and would even favor him over the Klitschko's. That guys skill and ability is still kind of underrated imo.

Anyway, Joshua and Wilder is a weird fight to try and predict. One guy seems on the surface to have a technical advantage but either guy could easily get short circuited by the other at any moment.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I could conceive of a scenario where either fighter wins and dominates.

That's what makes this such a good match-up.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
An old as fuck Evander gave Lennox trouble(in the rematch) so I definitely think he'd beat the current heavyweights on his best day and would even favor him over the Klitschko's. That guys skill and ability is still kind of underrated imo.
If only Tyson had not lost to that no-name Douglas (and later get banged up for rape), we could have had near prime Holyfield vs Tyson and not when they were both over the hill.

Similarly we should have had Bowe vs Lewis if not for Bowe chucking the belt in the bin and refusing to fight him.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If only Tyson had not lost to that no-name Douglas (and later get banged up for rape), we could have had near prime Holyfield vs Tyson and not when they were both over the hill.

Similarly we should have had Bowe vs Lewis if not for Bowe chucking the belt in the bin and refusing to fight him.

Tyson was done by that time. Coked out of his mind and not giving a fuck anymore. Had he survived Douglas I think Holyfield waxes him.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Joshua beating Wilder.

Tyson, I have no idea, we'll see how he is, complete wildcard right now.

Why can you see a possibility of a washed up Fury beating Wilder but not AJ? AJ has a far better record than both of them put together, and has shown he can take insane shots and still get up. Wlad bangs almost as hard as Wilder.

It is a very hard fight to call. I would have said AJ before the Ortiz fight but now I would pick Wilder by KO. Not an easy fight o call. The Ortiz fight proved Wilder can meme himself to victory. He can look absolutely awful and still get the KO.

Last edited:

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Why can you see a possibility of a washed up Fury beating Wilder but not AJ? AJ has a far better record than both of them put together, and has shown he can take insane shots and still get up. Wlad bangs almost as hard as Wilder.

It is a very hard fight to call. I would have said AJ before the Ortiz fight but now I would pick Wilder by KO. Not an easy fight o call. The Ortiz fight proved Wilder can meme himself to victory. He can look absolutely awful and still get the KO.

I would definitely pick AJ, twitter has been going mad, loads of people calling him a paper cvhampion, but I am reasonably sure Povetkin>Ortiz, so the fact that AJ did him in such style would lay waste to the claim that Wilder is the greatest ever (which I have genuinely heard from a lot of people, and i am a wilder fan).

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Victor Ortiz turns himself in on rape charges, days before his fight
Charged with multiple counts of sexual assault, boxing star Victor Ortiz turned himself in to local authorities Tuesday, according to the Oxnard Police Department.
Ortiz, 31, of Tarzana and formerly of Ventura, was charged Monday by the Ventura County District Attorney's Office with three felony sexual assault charges, including forcible rape.
Just before 3 p.m. Tuesday, Ortiz turned himself in at the Ventura County Sheriff's Office East Valley station, Oxnard police said.
Uhhhh, what the fuck...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would definitely pick AJ, twitter has been going mad, loads of people calling him a paper cvhampion, but I am reasonably sure Povetkin>Ortiz, so the fact that AJ did him in such style would lay waste to the claim that Wilder is the greatest ever (which I have genuinely heard from a lot of people, and i am a wilder fan).
I would actually pick Ortiz over Povetkin, but Povetkin is the more accomplished Heavyweight. It's a good win for AJ. LOL @ people thinking Wilder is the greatest ever.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Shame Wilder/Fury is in the US, even bigger shame it's West coast.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017

Ortiz/Povetkin is a very good fight that I would love to see happen. They are on a similar level and it is a 50/50, but I do think Ortiz wins it.

AJ gets so much shit for no reason whilst Wilder has been getting a pass since the Ortiz win. When Wilder went through a VERY tough fight with Ortiz and won, everybody was praising him. When AJ knocked Povetkin out in 7 rounds without having any serious trouble, it becomes ''AJ beat an old man'' ''AJ ducked Wilder to KO an old man.''

Wilder has gone from being massively underrated to massively overrated because of that Ortiz win.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ortiz/Povetkin is a very good fight that I would love to see happen. They are on a similar level and it is a 50/50, but I do think Ortiz wins it.

AJ gets so much shit for no reason whilst Wilder has been getting a pass since the Ortiz win. When Wilder went through a VERY tough fight with Ortiz and won, everybody was praising him. When AJ knocked Povetkin out in 7 rounds without having any serious trouble, it becomes ''AJ beat an old man'' ''AJ ducked Wilder to KO an old man.''

Wilder has gone from being massively underrated to massively overrated because of that Ortiz win.
I think AJ gets more shit because he's more methodical and not nearly as dynamic as Wilder is despite having a much better overall technical foundation than Deontay. People get enamored with dynamism and one punch KO power and don't appreciate workmanlike performances that provide valuable experience. I think Eddie Hearn is doing a good job with AJ and delaying the Wilder fight will only put AJ in a better position to win it.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Saunders: Canelo should have faced life ban over failed drugs tests
Billy Joe Saunders has branded Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez a "cheat" and believes the Mexican should never box again.
Alvarez, who had already withdrawn from his Las Vegas rematch with Gennady Golovkin, received a sixth-month ban last week having failed two drugs tests in February.
WBO middleweight champion Saunders feels Alvarez's reputation has been permanently tainted by the scandal and that his relatively short suspension is a "disgrace for boxing".
"I rated Canelo very highly but now he's gone down in my estimations so much. I don't rate him as a fighter at all," said 28-year-old Saunders, who is preparing for his rescheduled title defence against Martin Murray in June.
"Even if he beat Golovkin (in the future), I wouldn't class him as beating him because I still look at him as a cheat.
LMAO from April this year

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Former boxing world champion Graciano Rocchigiani has passed away at 54 after being run over by a car. Famous in Germany for some great bouts, especially with Henry Maske and Dariusz Michalczewski.

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
At the moment its all just an audition to get slapped by AJ, Fury is undeniably a talent, as is wilder, but AJ has skill and power and is current. He beat Povetkin while being at 75% and was still emphatic in that win, would anyone say Ortiz could beat Povetkin?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the moment its all just an audition to get slapped by AJ, Fury is undeniably a talent, as is wilder, but AJ has skill and power and is current. He beat Povetkin while being at 75% and was still emphatic in that win, would anyone say Ortiz could beat Povetkin?
I would pick Ortiz to beat Povetkin.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
No excuses for AJ, and yes ortiz would beat povetkin.

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I would pick Ortiz to beat Povetkin.

No excuses for AJ, and yes ortiz would beat povetkin.

I would not for a number of reasons partly because he beat him at an amateur level (I know that means nothing when it comes to pro fights just a data point) but also because Ortiz, tends to do well against bigger less mobile men who he can pick off, Povetkins peekaboo style would really put Ortiz in trouble and I think his engine wouldn't be able to go the distance.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would not for a number of reasons partly because he beat him at an amateur level (I know that means nothing when it comes to pro fights just a data point) but also because Ortiz, tends to do well against bigger less mobile men who he can pick off, Povetkins peekaboo style would really put Ortiz in trouble and I think his engine wouldn't be able to go the distance.
You could be right, but I just never been that high on Povetkin to begin with, but then again I'm not that high on the current crop of heavyweights. LOL Just from the eye test, I'm more impressed with Ortiz's overall athleticism and technical ability and skillset than I am with Povetkin's. Ultimately the only way we would know is if they fought each other, and unfortunately I think Ortiz would be the massive favorite now against Povetkin given his age and suffering from his recent KO loss.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Canelo looking to squeeze one last fight in 2018 against Rocky Fielding in December for his super middleweight strap. Would be a nice send off for HBO.