• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Rain King

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, 1st post on Reset and in Boxing thread. Hoping there's quite a bit of UK boxing fans in here.

Good fight Josh Taylor just KO'd Vazquez in the 9th, superstar potential is there.
Welcome.

Taylor vs Vasquez fight was really good. Scrappy first round followed by a bit of a war where both men took punishing shots but managed to stay aggressive. I feel like Taylor really proved his worth.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all, 1st post on Reset and in Boxing thread. Hoping there's quite a bit of UK boxing fans in here.

Good fight Josh Taylor just KO'd Vazquez in the 9th, superstar potential is there.
Welcome.

Taylor vs Vasquez fight was really good. Scrappy first round followed by a bit of a war where both men took punishing shots but managed to stay aggressive. I feel like Taylor really proved his worth.
Agreed, very nice performance by Taylor. I will look forward to following his career. A title shot can't be far off.

InbornMeatyAgama-max-14mb.gif

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Devon Alexander returns tomorrow night after a long absence. Considering how crowded the welterweight division is at the moment, there is a good chance we'll see him in with a top guys. He's only 30, so he could definitely make another title run.

Here's my favorite Alexander highlight. HBO got the hypetrain going bigtime after this one.
ReadyBlaringArrowana-max-14mb.gif

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Likable guy but his technique always annoyed me. Rooting for him though. Glad he got clean.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
David Haye v Tony Bellew rematch postponed
David Haye's heavyweight rematch with fellow Briton Tony Bellew has been postponed after Haye slipped on the stairs in a "freak" training accident.
Haye, who has had surgery for a torn biceps, said he was "devastated".
WBC cruiserweight world champion Bellew, 34, stopped former heavyweight world champion Haye, 37,
in the 11th round of their fight in March.
The rematch, a sell-out scheduled for 17 December at the 02 Arena in London, will be held on 24 March or 5 May 2018.
Haye was injured during training on 16 November.
"After a freak accident during a stair conditioning session, which I've done with no incident hundreds of times, I lost my footing and slipped," he said.
"I instinctively grabbed the banister to stop myself toppling down the stairwell. In doing so I somehow managed to damage my biceps.
"I underwent a procedure to repair it; this was pretty straightforward and my doctor and physiotherapist have no doubt that not only will I make a full recovery but will be able to be back in the gym to start my arm rehabilitation in two weeks.
"I would like to apologise to Tony, his family and his training team, as well as all our fans who have been left disappointed."
Hayemaker is cursed.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Not the kind of quality opponent that confirms he is the best in the division, but he took care of business.

Would like to see him in there with Beterbiev, Barrera, Chickenson (lol)

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017

Win or lose Cotto will end his illustrious career as a champion and one of the previous generation's greats. A sure fire Hall of Famer. Hoping Miguel gets a spectacular win tonight to bring home to Puerto Rico in his final fight at MSG. I think Cotto gave Floyd his toughest challenge in his career. Will always remember that revenge match with cheating ass Margarito.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is Tyson Fury truly coming back? The guy ruined his body and will never be the same. 2015 Fury beats Wilder and Joshua in the same night.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Good fight and the right call.

Had a good time observing Miguel's career. Much respect.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Tough loss to swallow for Cotto's final time out. But nevertheless much respect for everytime he stepped in that ring. Never felt short changed with Miguel's effort when he fought. Enjoy the retirement and his family time, most definitely earned it. Salute and blessings to one of the greats.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Win or lose Cotto will end his illustrious career as a champion and one of the previous generation's greats. A sure fire Hall of Famer. Hoping Miguel gets a spectacular win tonight to bring home to Puerto Rico in his final fight at MSG. I think Cotto gave Floyd his toughest challenge in his career. Will always remember that revenge match with cheating ass Margarito.

Miguel Cotto is one of my favorite fighters but he did not give Mayweather his toughest challenge. He certainly gave him a better fight than most did.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Miguel Cotto is one of my favorite fighters but he did not give Mayweather his toughest challenge. He certainly gave him a better fight than most did.

Top 3 challenge for Floyd at the very least. Castillo and Maidana being the other 2. Maybe the rematches cloud my judgement cause the rematches with the two were such a wash for Mayweather.

Zab only really gave Floyd a challenge during the early rounds until he got downloaded. Probably gotten TKO'd if not for the low blows. Shane hit Floyd with those two bombs, but was negated throughout the entire match afterwards. Unlike most opponents, I felt that Cotto was competitive the entire fight, even though Floyd was the clear and decisive winner.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Top 3 challenge for Floyd at the very least. Castillo and Maidana being the other 2. Zab only really gave Floyd a challenge during the early rounds until he got downloaded. Probably gotten TKO'd if not for the low blows. Shane hit Floyd with those two bombs, but was negated throughout the entire match afterwards. Unlike most opponents, I felt that Cotto was competitive the entire fight, even though Floyd was the clear and decisive winner.

OK. Now we're in agreement. Damn, that was a pretty good summary. I couldn't help but smile while reading it. Now the Cotto pre Margarito might've been Mayweather's toughest challenge but we'll never know.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Cotto and Floyd were killers in those lower divisions man. I wish that they met at earlier stages in their careers, but both being the draws for Arum in Top Rank, it never came to fruition until later on.

I also was hoping each of them got to fight Paul Williams back in those years when Paul was one of the rising contenders. Unfornately Paul's career got halted by that accident.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cotto and Floyd were killers in those lower divisions man. I wish that they met at earlier stages in their careers, but both being the draws for Arum in Top Rank, it never came to fruition until later on.

I also was hoping each of them got to fight Paul Williams back in those years when Paul was one of the rising contenders. Unfornately Paul's career got halted by that accident.

Even before the accident, Paul Williams was on the decline of his career after being KO'd by Martinez at Middleweight and looking shot at Jr. Middle against Erslandy Lara. They were serving him up next as fodder for the rising Canelo which at the time was an intriguing matchup for young superstar.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Good points. This KO is one of the scariest I've seen. Like KO'd eyes open. Definetly changed Williams career trajectory. Their first fight was so close, never expected this though.

JoKw0ao.jpg

I never knew he was getting matched up with a young Canelo.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even before the accident, Paul Williams was on the decline of his career after being KO'd by Martinez at Middleweight and looking shot at Jr. Middle against Erslandy Lara. They were serving him up next as fodder for the rising Canelo which at the time was an intriguing matchup for young superstar.
He was an absolute beast of a welterweight though. 6'1 (I think he might've even undersold his height a bit) with longer reach than Ali. Ridiculous work rate and even liked to fight inside for whatever reason.

Only misstep was against Quintana where he just had a really off night. Blasted him in the rematch.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Pre Sergio Paul Williams was a beast for sure.

Ishida doesn't go the distance with Williams if it wasnt for that Martinez KO. Ishida probably loses via TKO.

Lara is a durable fighter, he might still be able to go the distance. He's only lost to Canelo and Paul. And we know Canelo can thump.

Highlight reel of Paul Williams up to the Kermit Cintron decision.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I was at the fight last night. Great atmosphere. Huge cheers for Cotto (and huge boos for Ali, lol).

It was a nice performance, but 154 is too stacked for Ali to make my top 5. It looks like Eddie Hearn is trying to set up a fight between Kell Brook and Ali, and I could definitely get behind that one.

MildCircularDeermouse-max-14mb.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Wilder still ducking Joshua with his split demands:

"It is a great fight, it is one of the biggest fights in the world and everyone wants it. It will be 50-50 or else we don't see a fight,"

Looks like Joshua will be feasting on Parker next, followed by the winner of Fury vs Bellew?

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
James DeGale defending his IBF super-middleweight title against Caleb Truax tonight. Should be a nice warm-up before the Loma/Rigo card.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only saw the highlights of the DeGale fight but I'm disappointed he lost. Looks past it to be honest. Could have easily had a better career than this.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
DeGale didn't look up for it from Round 1.

I don't know how this happened because he was great in the Badou Jack fight.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Ex-world champion Fury free to resume boxing career
Britain's Tyson Fury is free to resume his boxing career after accepting a backdated two-year doping ban.

The former world heavyweight champion tested positive for a banned steroid in February 2015, but blamed the result on eating uncastrated wild boar.

His victory over Wladimir Klitschko in 2015 was his last fight before beginning his legal battle with UK Anti-Doping (Ukad).

Fury, 29, said he was glad he could put the "nightmare" behind him.

He will be free to return to the ring once he regains his boxing licence from the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC), who Ukad say have accepted the outcome.

Hughie Fury, Tyson's cousin, has reached a similar agreement after he also tested positive in February 2015.

Both men were not charged until June 2016 and both continue to insist they have "never knowingly or deliberately committed a violation".

Last month, BBC Sport reported Ukad feared it could be made insolvent or require a bailout over the dispute had Fury been cleared.

However, Ukad chief executive Nicole Sapstead insisted there was "absolutely no whitewash and nothing to be fearful or embarrassed about" in the decision.

She said the anti-doping agency had been "completely transparent" and that the developments represented a "good outcome", given their conviction that a doping violation did take place.

A Ukad statement read: "In recognition of the retrospective counter-arguments and the risks inherent in the dispute resolution process, each side has accepted a compromise of its position."

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Katie Taylor edges McCaskill to defend WBA title
Ireland's Katie Taylor successfully defended her WBA world lightweight title with a unanimous points victory over American Jessica McCaskill.

Taylor, 31, who beat Anahi Sanchez to land the WBA belt in October, topped the bill at London's York Hall.

She extended her unbeaten professional record to eight fights with victory over the crafty 33-year-old.

"It was probably the toughest fight of my career," said Taylor after taking the judges' cards 97-92 97-92 98-91.

She added on Sky Sports: "I had to be at my very best. I knew she was tough and I was prepared for that. I did what I had to do and I am delighted with another victory."

McCaskill has won five of her seven professional contests and tested Taylor at times in Bethnal Green, wobbling the Bray fighter in the sixth round.

Taylor, who won an Olympic gold at London 2012, was then docked a point for holding in the seventh round.

But Taylor out-boxed her opponent for long spells to keep hold of the belt she claimed at Cardiff's Principality Stadium, and is now turning her attention to unifying the division.
Katie Taylor taking her record to 8-0 with SIX fights in 2017. Love this girl.

this thread is dead, fam

Kovu

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope Lemieux KO's Billy Hoe Saunders so bad tonight. Dude has had the belt for 2 years and hasn't fought anybody reputable.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
I hope I get to see Golovkin (or Canelo) KO Saunders some day.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL Consider me a Billy Joe Saunders fan now.

He embarassed Lemieux the whole fight.

Lemieux was always terrible so I'm glad Billy gotten him out of there and replaced him with himself, somebody who's got legit techinical skill and knows how to use it.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
LOL Consider me a Billy Joe Saunders fan now.

He embarassed Lemieux the whole fight.

Lemieux was always terrible so I'm glad Billy gotten him out of there and replaced him with himself, somebody who's got legit techinical skill and knows how to use it.

Dude, what was your username in the other place?

Was he that good tonight? I wasn't able to watch his fight tonight.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, what was your username in the other place?

Was he that good tonight? I wasn't able to watch his fight tonight.

lightskintwin

First time ever watching him.

Saunders looked like Mayweather in there against Lemieux: boxing beautifully, controlling distance with his jab, frustrating Lemieux with his footwork, painting Lemieux's face with accurate punches. Worse yet, taunting Lemieux and the crowd, showboating, and talking dat shit. LOL

He made a fan out of me tonight.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
lightskintwin

First time ever watching him.

Saunders looked like Mayweather in there against Lemieux: boxing beautifully, controlling distance with his jab, frustrating Lemieux with his footwork, painting Lemieux's face with accurate punches. Worse yet, taunting Lemieux and the crowd, showboating, and talking dat shit. LOL

He made a fan out of me tonight.

Lol. I, before editing, thought you were lightskintwin (no racial), but edited my post because I didn't want come off as racist and petty, lol.

Was he that impressive?! Holy shit I'm going to need to catch a YouTube of it. Who do you think he should fight next?