• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What concerned me about the first fight was that it wasn't like Lewis Rahman were Lennox got Koed and didn't get the chance to make a comeback in the fight. Joshua escaped the third but was unable take back control and Ruiz just looked better.

But the weight gain has me changing my pick, I think too much success too soon has gotten to Andy.
Yeah, plus I didn't like how Joshua mentally responded before the ref called the fight and even afterwards. But I also don't like the 20 pound weight gain to an already fat fighter.

I don't know who to pick. LOL

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to pick Andy until the weigh in.....

Maybe he can still time Joshua. We'll see...

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Ruiz claims to have weighed in at the same weight he was during the last fight. Explaining that the weigh in was late and that he had already eaten breakfast lunch and dinner before tipping the scale.

Just looking at him, he doesn't appear noticeably different or out of shape by his standards. Won't really be able to tell until you see him on fight night though.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Ruiz has put on enough for it to adversely effect him. He wasn't showing issues at all in the 7th in the last fight, even after taking all those bombs. He doesn't look noticeably different either, arms a bit bigger maybe. If that weight has gone to the right places it'll be even better, AJ will no doubt be throwing more bombs, if it allows him to eat more of those shots. Good.

AJ coming in slimmer is good, he's said he's spent the majority of the time sparring and doing padwork and it shows - not body building. As much as he enjoys getting on the inside he'll have to stay on the out, take his time and punish Ruiz on the way in. He can't afford to try and trade. Question will be if he can catch him enough before Ruiz starts reliably getting in close. Klitschko boxing isn't going to work as it'll give Ruiz time to work his body during the clinch like in the first fight. Too many of those and it's going to hurt and Ruiz will be looking to force them.

Going to be an interesting fight that's for sure. I've put money down on Ruiz, the fact that he still saw all of AJ's punches after eating his prime shots and even started to time them in the first fight does it for me.

Oct 25, 2017
The fix is already in.

Hearn said the Saudi prince wants Joshua v Wilder there in 2020. Matchroom and PBC aren't putting that vast amount of money in jeopardy with a Ruiz win. AJ via UD.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fix is already in.

Hearn said the Saudi prince wants Joshua v Wilder there in 2020. Matchroom and PBC aren't putting that vast amount of money in jeopardy with a Ruiz win. AJ via UD.
Ruiz is with PBC. PBC would rather Ruiz win and keep everything in house.

The stakes for Saturday's fight go beyond the belts. The power in the heavyweight division is also at stake Saturday. If Ruiz (Premier Boxing Champions, broadcast primarily on Fox) should come out victorious over Joshua (Matchroom, broadcast on DAZN) again, it would mean that all four of the major belts in the heavyweight division would be under the PBC umbrella, with Deontay Wilder holding the WBC title.

That would give PBC control of almost all of the biggest potential fights in boxing's most glamorous division for the foreseeable future, provided Wilder overcomes lineal champion Tyson Fury in their rematch on Feb. 22.

For Fox, with the uncertain status of welterweight world title holder Errol Spence following his car crash, an asset like having all of the heavyweight world titles is vital for driving pay-per-view interest. In Ruiz, they have the first Mexican-American heavyweight champion, and in Wilder, the best-known American big man. A fight between the two -- should they win their upcoming bouts -- would be a financial blockbuster for everyone involved.

Last edited:

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I think Joshua losing weight can only be good for him, I favoured him to begin with and I think this increases his chances.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Ruiz hit the lottery, swore he was going to take this opportunity and make the most of it, then proceeded to be undisciplined and it is going to cost him.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ruiz seems insanely overconfident, but he took AJ's best and completely beat him last time, so who knows.

This is such a fascinating match

Edit: Damn, De La Hoya vs Pacquiao was 11 years ago. That was another crazy fight.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
This fight looking like a mistake for Whyte

Got through it but doubt he's happy

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Michael Hunter is The Predator lol

It just dawned on me that he had THAT intro in Saudi Arabia, holy shit what a ballsy move

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That bigger ring is gonna give Joshua a huge advantage based on his strategy tonight.

Holy shit Ruiz is cut already

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if AJ is able to keep this up, he's already starting to slow a it and drop his arms.

AJ being awkward on the clinch is good though.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
AJ really showed up in this fight. Didn't think he'd be able to change it up and be as light on his feet within 6 months. AJ really showed respect to ruiz, keeping to the plan well. Boring but clinical.

The extra weight for Ruiz wasn't the issue here, just two different plans. Ruiz was expecting to met him at some point on the inside, AJ stayed at distance and behind his jab. There were moments where they were starting to get close but that was just too late in the round. Kept his respect.

DAZN commentators stay trash though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good gameplan, good execution by AJ. Psychologically this is big for him after suffering such an embarrassing and bad beat down by a fat, shorter underdog.

Not impressed at all by AJ. Still remain skeptical that he has a shot against Wilder.
I actually think this loss and redemption gives AJ a better chance than before against Wilder. I still have Wilder as the favorites.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't actually get over Andy's lack of professionalism. Imagine skipping weeks of training, getting fat af and coming in completely unprepared on the biggest night of your life. The nerves on this guy to demand a 3rd fight where he promises to actually prepare.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't actually get over Andy's lack of professionalism. Imagine skipping weeks of training, getting fat af and coming in completely unprepared on the biggest night of your life. The nerves on this guy to demand a 3rd fight where he promises actually prepare.
Especially being the first Mexican to become heavyweight champion. It's embarrassing.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
People will shrug and say 'eh, he got paid' but he had the ability beat one of Boxing's golden boys twice. Pretty disappointing.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
How?

AJ's confidence is questionable and he's there's to be hit. I don't see how he avoids Wilder's right hand for 12 rounds.

I think Wilder knocks him out like 8 times out of 10. AJ's only chance is to hurt Wilder first, but he'd be fighting too defensively to do that.
I don't think his confidence is questionable personally. I also think he wont lose with one hit by wilder, it will be a couple if he does, he is young and still got up multiple times vs klit and ruiz. Even when they stopped the first fight vs Ruiz he didnt look hurt. Also dont forget AJ has good power, second only to wilder and he can also catch wilder. That is why I think it's 50/50, whoever catches each other first.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys watching tonight's fights? Charlo vs Hogan, Eubank jr vs korobov.
Yeah, I'm going to watch it.
How?

AJ's confidence is questionable and he's there's to be hit. I don't see how he avoids Wilder's right hand for 12 rounds.

I think Wilder knocks him out like 8 times out of 10. AJ's only chance is to hurt Wilder first, but he'd be fighting too defensively to do that.
I think AJ acknowledging he has a suspect chin and being used to gameplan around that using his athletic strengths to box and move the whole fights gives him a much better chance than before him losing to Ruiz.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to watch it.

I think AJ acknowledging he has a suspect chin and being used to gameplan around that using his athletic strengths to box and move the whole fights gives him a much better chance than before him losing to Ruiz.
Pure athleticism is an advantage for AJ in every single fight BUT Wilder. Wilder's quicker, has faster hands, and hits harder. He's slightly taller and longer. He's extremely confident and seems to have a solid chin. It's just nightmare matchup for AJ.

I don't think there's much AJ can do in that fight other than just bringing the fight to Wilder. If he's on his backfoot trying to outbox him, he will get caught by the straight right.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pure athleticism is an advantage for AJ in every single fight BUT Wilder. Wilder's quicker, has faster hands, and hits harder. He's slightly taller and longer. He's extremely confident and seems to have a solid chin. It's just nightmare matchup for AJ.

I don't think there's much AJ can do in that fight other than just bringing the fight to Wilder. If he's on his backfoot trying to outbox him, he will get caught by the straight right.
That's true. Don't get me wrong I heavily favor Wilder. I just think AJ's chances are better now than they were before. I think before he would've been knocked out early due to his overconfidence. Now he knows he can get knocked out and will fight more like it.