• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Hard to find a specific thing that started this, but many are bringing the game's colorism, racist caricatures toward indigenous people, pedophilic insinuations for a character, and use of a slur.

I didn't see a thread and the search function is shit right now as we know, so sorry if already posted

Edit: while these are legitimate grievances, their seems to be more frustration at the developers for delaying a patch that's in part causing this
Not that hard. There was a leak today or maybe yesterday revealing that the next big content patch/zone was coming much later than expected, and that they'd just be trickling out minor stuff for several months. Fans responded by spamming those hastag and dragging up a bunch of longstanding problematic stuff- some of it legitimate (the racism), some of it bullshit (Flora), all of it as a result of anger about the leak/delay.

Basically, some real issues are being weaponized by shitty fans who are upset about a delay.

Last edited:

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Yikes. Some major issues that need to be addressed pronto.

And whose stupid idea was it to use the r slur? Was it added in localization or was the original just as bad?

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting but expected at this point, sadly.

I don't expect anything more than lip service to be paid.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
There's been a lot of problems with the game, glad to see it's being addressed. I hope change happens. Genshin needs accountability.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
That r slur line looks like something straight off 4chan jeez

Edit: Looks like this is from Honkai Impact not Genshin. And the whole thing is shitty fans using legit complaints to clap back against a delay? Oof

Last edited:

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Only played some of Genshin and planned on going all in when it hit PS5 but it has the R word? No thanks.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yikes, who the fuck is doing the localization.
Probably the same team that did the OG FF7 localization, except they forgot that they're not in the 90s anymore /s

Either way, that dialogue screenshot, what the hell.

I haven't played genshin much but by the look of things it's a shame that it falls for that 'dark skin = bad/crude guy' trope

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious who does the localization of this game. Lack of credits and even NDA's make everything so damn hush hush around the western release of this game. I remember actors couldn't even announce they were involved due to NDA's weeks after the game launched.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still baffled at how successful the game is when its entire business model is so obnoxiously predatory. Unfortunately, if the incredibly awful exploitation of its player base didn't get people to boycott it, nothing will.

Nice to see at least some action on this front, though, if nothing else.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is it really just localization issue? Some of those points aren't even related to writing.

But honestly, I'm quite surprised that it hasn't trending until now since most of those points are already in the game since day one. A lot of use who played the game during the launch were discussing them in multiple occasions too. Like how they treat the Hilichurls and the ever growing kid characters (who happen to be all female characters). On top of the kids, there majority of the cast are also early teenagers.

More context
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Hard to find a specific thing that started this...
Not that hard. There was a leak today or maybe yesterday revealing that the next big content patch/zone was coming much later than expected, and that they'd just be trickling out minor stuff for several months. Fans responded by spamming those hastag and dragging up a bunch of longstanding problematic stuff- some of it legitimate (the racism), some of it bullshit (Flora), all of it as a result of anger about the leak/delay.

Basically, some real issues are being weaponized by shitty fans who are upset about a delay.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

thread marked, thanks!!

Kindofblue

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
User Banned (permanent): racist generalization
Hints of pedophilia?

Honestly this is a common occurence, the sexualisation of young girls in allot of Japanese anime waifu games is absurdly creepy, and quite gross in the way it's tolerated.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
They have hands down the worst customer support I've ever tried to work with. I finally gave up and ate a loss of about $20 because it was so frustrating. The final email they sent me basically said "What's wrong with you that you can't understand this", where the "this" was information totally unrelated to the issue I was trying to actually resolve, but they kept sending me this unrelated thing over and over and over again.

And yet here I am still playing so I'm the clown I guess.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Uhm I'm pretty sure Flora has a adult model but it was scrapped for wtv reason. That's why the dialogue is like that i'm pretty sure.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

So basically we're in a situation wherein the legit grievances are likely to be ignored due to the shit fans using the same hashtags and such for dumb shit.

Great.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Someone's going to have to add context and tell me why I should be offended by this cause as it stands right now I don't see it.

I mean you can kinda make the case with the Kaeya one for some type of race shit but it looks like it's making a joke on the fact that he wears an eye patch all the time and if he takes it off the skin there will be "lighter than the rest of him." Kaeya's white. Is that offensive?

The Xinyan one is 100 percent talking about her fierce rocker chick look and has nothing to do with race. Wierd that it's even thrown in there as some type of an example.

The second tweet is not even from Genshin Impact, have no idea what that game is as the tweeter didn't mention it, only that its another mihoyo game. Now that one is obviously bad, but I do hesitate to pull out the pitchforks because this is a Chinese company who may not even have a word for that and if they do it may not mean what it does here, I'd have to know the original Chinese. Looks to me like shit localizers.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Huh?
Something feels bad faith ish here
Like that Kaeya and Xinyan just feels like shit posting, and that r slur is fucked but that has fuck all to do with genshin, unless there is more I'm not aware of going on

So basically we're in a situation wherein the legit grievances are likely to be ignored due to the shit fans using the same hashtags and such for dumb shit.

Great.
Kinda the vibes I'm getting as well

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021

Smfh

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Someone's going to have to add context and tell me why I should be offended by this cause as it stands right now I don't see it.

I mean you can kinda make the case with the Kaeya one for some type of race shit but it looks like it's making a joke on the fact that he wears an eye patch all the time and if he takes it off the skin there will be "lighter than the rest of him." Kaeya's white. Is that offensive?

The Xinyan one is 100 percent talking about her fierce rocker chick look and has nothing to do with race. Wierd that it's even thrown in there as some type of an example.

The second tweet is not even from Genshin Impact, have no idea what that game is as the tweeter didn't mention it, only that its another mihoyo game. Now that one is obviously bad, but I do hesitate to pull out the pitchforks because this is a Chinese company who may not even have a word for that and if they do it may not mean what it does here, I'd have to know the original Chinese. Looks to me like shit localizers.

Yeah, these two aren't about color at all. The Kaeya one is about how keeping the eye patch on means he has a tan line around his eye.

The r-slur stuff is pretty terrible, however.

Genshin is Chinese. Wtf are you saying?!
Mihoyo are self described Otaku. The creepy pedo stuff is a sad and pathetic tentpole of modern otaku culture.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Flora had a adult model originally right?

Also isn't Xinyan supposed to be a rocker girl that is fierce looking?

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Yeah this feels like coordinated shit posting, literally no sources in their original statement, just points

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
GI has real issues but some of this seems like reaching
Some of these posts (if real, I havent played much) seem really problematic still

the r word pic is from honkai not genshin

Is that not the same developer? Whoever they hired for localization was a mistake

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Yeah this feels like coordinated shit posting, literally no sources in their original statement, just points

Yup, while the r word in Honkai sucks to see at least it is not in Genshin so i'm not sure why people are trying to put two things like they are together. And honestly I dont get how the Kaeya thing is racist nor Xinyan....

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I'll be honest, the Honkai slur is really bad but the last one about Kaeya and Xinyan seems to be a matter of interpretation at best. I was familiar with that exchange about Kaeya and always took it for a joke about how he seems to be in a lot of places at once -> spends a lot of time outside -> wears eyepatch so he has weird tanlines. The Xinyan thing is news to me and a bit more ambiguous but I can see it being about her "metal musician" clothing and hairstyle with spikes and stuff.

No idea what the Flora thing is, I don't remember anything bad in her dialogue but I can't say I paid her too much attention.

Genshin and Mihoyo have some issues they really should address, make no mistake. The R word slur and HK/Taiwan censorship are legitimate issues and they should be put on blast over them. But the rest just sounds like people throwing a tantrum over not getting the content they want when they want.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Re: the indiginious people point, I believe it's regarding the Hilichurls, who mechanically are identical to Zelda's bokoblins but lore-wise they are basically inhabitants of the same land that have their own culture.

If you read about them from the perspective of them being anagolous to native populations it does look pretty bad, with them being described as less intelligent, inherently violent, and not worth communicating with.

Zelda takes the slightly smarter route by making its enemies mindless thralls of an active evil. I couldn't say if Genshin actively mocks them, though.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
If there is one fan base that really cares about these sort of things, it's the one that generally has twitter accounts with anime avatars.../s

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm having trouble finding the tweet now, but there was one floating around a few weeks ago with concerns about the localization straight up trying to remove anything that could even remotely be read as gay (even if that wasn't the intention). Like dialogue between 2 male characters being changed from a platonic "I like you" to something completely unrelated.

edit: never mind, it was nothing after all

Last edited:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I checked out the tag and there's a lot of people saying they'll keep playing the game, they just won't pay for the MTX. Great boycott.

Status
Not open for further replies.