• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Saw this on twitter yesterday and just waited for the articles and outrage... and it barely happened.
And I think it's another one of those cases where the media (and a lot of people) just ignores it because it's a man who got physical abused.

Couldn't agree more here:

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh even that tiny bit of noise from, what I assume were, the slaps/hits was tough to listen to. That dude's tone said it all.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. And thats how she acts when she knows he's on call with people. Probably extra portions of verbal / emotional abuse and whatever else to go with that after if it's anything like abusive people I've known.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Not many care. I remember a thread about men being tricked into having kids and some couldn't help themselves to make it seem like nothing because women deal with it a lot more.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nice to see people can both sides physical abuse in the comments to the original tweet as well

"We don't know the full story" x100

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh even that tiny bit of noise from, what I assume were, the slaps/hits was tough to listen to. That dude's tone said it all.
Two of those sounds I heard were soundboard samples not live audio, so tbh I'm not sure what i'm hearing. He sounded vaguely embarrassed and slightly put out so maybe I clicked the wrong link? I'm absolutely not diminishing the claim of a victim. Just noting the impression of the audio I heard.

Zero clue who anyone involved is or what the overall context is.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it's impossible to point out abuse without virtue signaling that nobody cares because it's happening to men.

im sure the same men who are in the comments trolling like assholes about "we dont know the whole story" would be the same ones doing it if the genders were reversed. Because spoiler alert; it's usually men who create an environment where you are shamed for being abused, regardless of who's abusing you.

But you have to poison the well by trying to insinuate that people who would care about a woman being abused don't care about a man being abused by a woman. You don't have to bait us like that.

Imagine what the reactions would be if the genders were reversed...

shit like this. You can go look at the tweets and see who are making the shitty reactions. do you actually care about the abuse? Or do you care about some culture war

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see people can both sides physical abuse in the comments to the original tweet as well

"We don't know the full story" x100
Yeah I tried to read some of the comments/tweets and after seeing two garbage tweets like the one below I stopped.

Two of those sounds I heard were soundboard samples not live audio, so tbh I'm not sure what i'm hearing. He sounded vaguely embarrassed and slightly put out so maybe I clicked the wrong link? I'm absolutely not diminishing the claim of a victim. Just noting the impression of the audio I heard.
You can hear it and him saying "oww... owww" afterwards.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Well now, Never seen a red flag factory explode before. That's not an okay thing to do. You shouldn't be hitting people when they are just talking to another person.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I tried to read some of the comments/tweets and after seeing two garbage tweets like the one below I stopped.

You can hear it and him saying "oww... owww" afterwards.

Wow, I genuinely despise the person who wrote that tweet. As if someone failing to listen or "finally having enough" are good and acceptable reasons for slapping your partner around. Fucking inhumane folks in this world

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like the kind of controlling, abusive behavior that's often excused/laughed off because "the dude must've deserved it."

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why it's impossible to point out abuse without virtue signaling that nobody cares because it's happening to men.
Becaue it's still a huge problem. Violence against men and boys remains largely hidden and ignored. I remember an article I read many years ago that stated more than 40% of domestic violence victims are male. Sure there are a lot of asshats on twitter posting trash under that tweet in the OP. But it IS still a huge issue that abuse against men is getting ignored or called "funny".

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I genuinely despise the person who wrote that tweet. As if someone failing to listen or "finally having enough" are good and acceptable reasons for slapping your partner around. Fucking inhumane folks in this world
doubt hed be spouting the same excuses if roles were reversed. can u even imagine justifying hitting her due to not communiticating or neglecting

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this type of abuse is even more common than you guys think. Era would probably call the cops if you all knew the shit I go through with my wife. I know it's wrong and it shouldn't happen, but I accept it in my relationship. My wife grew up in a conservative country with fucked-up views of gender roles and the level of abuse that is acceptable. I just take it in because the good outweighs the bad in our marriage, but you can bet I'll be teaching my son Western values when it comes to gender roles and abusive relationships.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

im sure the same men who are in the comments trolling like assholes about "we dont know the whole story" would be the same ones doing it if the genders were reversed. Because spoiler alert; it's usually men who create an environment where you are shamed for being abused, regardless of who's abusing you.

But you have to poison the well by trying to insinuate that people who would care about a woman being abused don't care about a man being abused by a woman. You don't have to bait us like that.

shit like this. You can go look at the tweets and see who are making the shitty reactions. do you actually care about the abuse? Or do you care about some culture war
Because many men don't actually care about abused men and try to help them, they just want to downplay the abuse women get ( which is way more) and they care even less when it's other men abusing men.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Becaue it's still a huge problem. Violence against men and boys remains largely hidden and ignored. I remember an article I read many years ago that stated more than 40% of domestic violence victims are male. Sure there are a lot of asshats on twitter posting trash under that tweet in the OP. But it IS still a huge issue that abuse against men is getting ignored or called "funny".
... and that estimate doesn't account for the disproportionate percentage of males who choose not to seek legal or healthcare assistance following instances of assault, which is why progressives advocate for transforming the culture of toxic masculinity so that men are more empowered to speak up and seek help.

It's a shame that some people ignore or deny the problem, but as far as I'm aware, this is not acceptable in the mainstream.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this type of abuse is even more common than you guys think. Era would probably call the cops if you all knew the shit I go through with my wife. I know it's wrong and it shouldn't happen, but I accept it in my relationship. My wife grew up in a conservative country with fucked-up views of gender roles and the level of abuse that is acceptable. I just take it in because the good outweighs the bad in our marriage, but you can bet I'll be teaching my son Western values when it comes to gender roles and abusive relationships.
What he sees is what he will actually learn.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like abuse. Shut case.

Saw this on twitter yesterday and just waited for the articles and outrage... and it barely happened.
And I think it's another one of those cases where the media (and a lot of people) just ignores it because it's a man who got physical abused.
I mean in your own thread title, you do not provide any name or information on the guy who was slapped. You called him "boyfriend" while making sure to call Pokimane by her handle.

It's different to say, "rising Twitch streamer LobsterHand was slapped..." than just "boyfriend"

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's not a big enough font-size in this forum for the YIKES I want to give in response to this post...

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean in your own thread title, you do not provide any name or information on the guy who was slapped. You called him "boyfriend" while making sure to call Pokimane by her handle.

It's different to say, "rising Twitch streamer LobsterHand was slapped..." than just "boyfriend"
Because I don't know the name and his name got nowhere mentioned? Someone on twitter stated it was another one of those matches where Pokimane plays with a random player. So it looks like he isn't a known/famous streamer. Just a normal (unknown) gamer.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...because men don't take it seriously
I mean women don't take it seriously either. Domestic abuse of women by men is definitely a huge problem and more common, but it's a lot easier for women to find people who are supportive of the issue if they speak out about it then it is for men. They're both important issues that manifest themselves differently

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the twitter clip. Is the slap on stream or do we just hear it? Watching a 10 minute video without any times stamps is a big ask OP.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean women don't take it seriously either. Domestic abuse of women by men is definitely a huge problem and more common, but it's a lot easier for women to find people who are supportive of the issue if they speak out about it then it is for men. They're both important issues that manifest themselves differently

I didn't say that women are incapable of not caring, but the Structures and institutions that could prioritize abused men aren't driven by women, they're driven by men. The media, the police, the criminal justice system. Those are ran by men.

Not only that, but when you juxtapose this against IPV against women, you make it seem like society appropriately reacts when it's revealed that women get abused. But no, you see a lot of the same comments that you see for the poor man in the video.

yes women can perpetuate the stigma and shame of abused men, but men are the ones upholding the culture and systems that prevent more men from speaking up and getting justice.

so it bothers me when topics are framed like this, because now the focus is on the disparity and used as a wedge against abused women as if they don't receive the same shit that we see this man getting as well.

the common denominator here is how men treat everybody, even themselves. Not that people are more sympathetic to women. So when people try to frame this by gender, at least speak on the whole picture.

That's just plain victim blaming. Come on now.

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Physically abusive girlfriends or wives should be put in jail too the same way abusive boyfriends or husbands get jail time. That's logical.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You essentially said that men were responsible for their own abuse not being respected.

Yes, because as a sociological group they create and maintain the structures in which makes it hard for men to be open about being abused.

This is literally the concept of toxic masculinity. I'm not sure why that point is so abrasive.