• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Can definitely relate to this.

I played WoW with my girlfriend during TBC and Wrath.

She used to get mad that I had female friends in game. Even guys playing female characters in the game would sometimes set her off. It would seriously cause fights. She never physically hit me, but it took me a long time to realize how I was being emotionally abused. And by the time I realized it, I felt so ashamed and thought I had no one to turn to who would understand.

So seeing this breaks my heart. It's one of those things I feel like doesn't get talked about enough for whatever reason, but it is very real.

Oct 27, 2017
People trying to dogpile Deepwater for making pretty banal observations.

There are feminist groups that run domestic violence shelters for men so I don't know where you got that idea.

I'm sure there are and there a feminist and rape crisis centres in my country, on [public radio, who have said that domestic abuse is a gendered problem. Dismissing abuse against men.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean you're right on the money. We certainly can't fix this issue if the go-to stance when witnessing examples of IPV/domestic abuse is to make it an anti-feminist talking point.

It ignores how women who experience abuse are treated. They're also ignored, mocked, threatened, etc.

It ignores the ways that abuse is normalized in our culture by toxic masculinity. This is arguably a little tautological, since toxic masculinity is defined by using abusive behavior as a means to gain social credibility and power. The behavior is reinforcing, though -- the power is then used as leverage to justify bullying, etc. Yes, men and women can and do buy into this issue. The consequences are felt (negatively) by both genders, though not always in the same ways.

This is also a problem that feminists are actually addressing. The power dynamics are not weighted toward all men equally (especially when we start throwing things like race into the mix) but the power dynamics significantly favor specific men who are able to engage in a lot of abusive behavior. In these cases the recourse female victims have is typically null as well, and why these people are able to engage in abuse for decades without accountability.

I don't know that the gender ratios regarding abuse is equal (I know Lord of Ostia's shared some statistics that do make me question my previous views that abuse is borne significantly more by women, but I'm always hesitant to shift my worldview on the basis of a single study) but I do know that the gender parity on people with enough power to hold abusers accountable has skewed male for a very long time and those people don't care about victims regardless of gender (see also: president 'grab em by the pussy').

What we have seen in the video is a problem, but it is not the fault of women as a class. Anyone claiming otherwise is making the problem worse by confusing what the causes are and what needs to change to hold people accountable.
I know this is an old post, but this is kind of unintentionally misconstruing what I've discussed here on the forum, both in the thread I made to draw attention to male rape/abuse myths and also the posts I've made on the subject in relevant threads. It's not one single study that shows that male abuse/rape is high, it's a large body of research that dates back decades from many different well-respected researchers in the fields of law, psychology, sociology, and medicine. There is a further body of work which discusses the prevalence of domestic violence perpetrated against men (by both men and women). I know you meant well with this but since you directly mentioned me in this post I felt I should respond and clarify.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
And I think it's another one of those cases where the media (and a lot of people) just ignores it because it's a man who got physical abused.

There's a deadly virus spreading, the Super Bowl is Sunday, the President's impeachment trial is technically still ongoing, and presidential primaries are starting on top of that.

The media is a little busy covering real news if you haven't noticed.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a deadly virus spreading, the Super Bowl is Sunday, the President's impeachment trial is technically still ongoing, and presidential primaries are starting on top of that.

Good to know that you think domestic violence isn't 'real news'. And by 'good' I mean that it's a really fucking gross attitude you've espoused here. Comments like this are why victims stay silent.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know that you think domestic violence isn't 'real news'. And by 'good' I mean that it's a really fucking gross attitude you've espoused here. Comments like this are why victims stay silent.

It's amazing how you read my post and just ignored every ounce of context.

Yes, survivors of domestic assault don't come forward because of things like *checks notes* some teenager getting smacked by his GF on a twitch stream not getting news coverage. Very Normal understanding of priorities you have there!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how you read my post and just ignored every ounce of context.

Yes, survivors of domestic assault don't come forward because of things like *checks notes* some teenager getting smacked by his GF on a twitch stream not getting news coverage. Very Normal understanding of priorities you have there!
No, they don't come forward because of the attitude you just espoused, that it doesn't matter.

When that poster said media they didn't mean fucking CNN or the CBS nightly news, they meant the vast array of gaming and streaming media outlets who cover games and Twitch. This is absolutely something they can and should cover.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
No, they don't come forward because of the attitude you just espoused, that it doesn't matter.

When that poster said media they didn't mean fucking CNN or the CBS nightly news, they meant the vast array of gaming and streaming media outlets who cover games and Twitch. This is absolutely something they can and should cover.

I think it's pretty petty even then, honestly. You can continue conflating it with a reflection of the culture at large if you want to. I didn't even notice this was from ten days ago when I posted.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty petty even then, honestly. You can continue conflating it with a reflection of the culture at large if you want to. I didn't even notice this was from ten days ago when I posted.
So...you think people being victims of domestic violence is petty? I'm not sure how this happening ten days ago makes your flippant response to domestic violence any better. You could've just said nothing if you were going to downplay it and treat it as if it doesn't matter. At least then you wouldn't be putting a post out there that discourages any victims reading it from speaking out, or making them internalize the abuse and blame themselves.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
So I guess physical abuse it totally ok and acceptable, as long as you are a women?
But you still want equality,right? Am I correct about that?
Poor guy.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some of the dismissive reactions are part of the reason why men won't report this. It's sad and I hope he can either leave her or report it. Do we know the guy's handle? Any way to support him directly?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I would end that relationship right there. But some people love that kind of drama. They think that's the way relationships work. Such lovely drama. Screaming, the "make up sex". The screaming again. And again. And again. Throwing plates, a hit here or there. Oh the romance. ❤❤❤

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I tried to read some of the comments/tweets and after seeing two garbage tweets like the one below I stopped.

You can hear it and him saying "oww... owww" afterwards.

WTF is this lol. So as long as we don't know the full story it's fully ok? Abuse is ok if he has been neglecting her and she finally had enough? What a keyboard hero. It would not be ok the other way around, I can promise as much. Abuse is NEVER ok. Madre mia.

Oct 25, 2017

A shitty thread title and poor OP doesn't help this get noticed either.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
WTF is this lol. So as long as we don't know the full story it's fully ok? Abuse is ok if he has been neglecting her and she finally had enough? What a keyboard hero. It would not be ok the other way around, I can promise as much. Abuse is NEVER ok. Madre mia.
Its disgusting what people would say to justified abuse.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Not okay. I've never even been in a relationship where we raised our voices in disagreements. I can't imagine how it would feel to have a physical line crossed like that. Someone close to me was dumped by his fiancee, and it wasn't till after that he told me she hit him. Like punched him. People put up with a lot in hopes of keeping a partner. Sometimes they feel like they have no choice. Awful.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I had to find a new nurse to come into my home. I'm extremely disabled and can't really defend myself. My nurse started having anger issues which manifested in scratching me and slaps. The verbal abuse was really bad also.

Damn, this sounds horrible. Sorry you had to go through that, friend. Hope you are ok and things are better.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I mean women don't take it seriously either. Domestic abuse of women by men is definitely a huge problem and more common, but it's a lot easier for women to find people who are supportive of the issue if they speak out about it then it is for men. They're both important issues that manifest themselves differently
Yeah, this is something I noticed more recently.

I was filling out an online form using the gov.uk site, and one of the questions was 'have you ever been physically abused?' with a link to some helpful information.

When I clicked on the link out of curiosity, it took me to a very women focused abuse page, stating the signs and people you can call.

The form I was filling out, was not gender specific, and it made me feel a bit put out, that my own government made the assumption that I needed female specific advice for issues of domestic abuse.

Edit: Sorry for the bump, was looking at related threads to something else and went down a bit of a hole.

Last edited: