• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So... You guys still hoping those innocent kids get their asses beat at recess?

Maybe it's time that people just wait a minute before calling for blood, no?
Bad shit happens, but it seems like things get reported on a bit too soon these days without enough fact checking. It's fine to feel bad for the girl and to feel rage at the apparent racism inherent to the way she was treated, but it's entirely something different to wish bodily harm on children who haven't been confirmed to be shitheels

Man why the fuck do people try to manufacture outrage when there's enough abhorrent, outrageous shit happening already

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Sucks they had to make up a story, as though we don't face so much actual real shit like this on a daily basis.

Props for the family's apology and acceptance of whatever consequences are to be had. I know the parents are furious with their daughter at the moment.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Well I guess that's one way to get kicked out of a school. I wish there was some explanation as to why she faked this

I can tell you why**, because I have a 12 year old.

She cut her own hair or altered her own hair and was afraid of getting in big trouble for it. To a kid that age, being reprimanded or punished for something that seems trivial to us, is often a HUGE and scary deal for them.

She may have made it up in order to protect herself. She didn't realize the adults would go after the school, teachers, media, etc. When she realized she had made a huge mistake it was too late. So you end up with a story like this.

Unfortunately she doesn't understand how this can hurt so many people like her who are really hurt/abused on a daily basis. Sounds like she's pretty well off, so it's the mistake of a kid that really doesn't know any better.

** Why = why my daughter might do something like this, and may not actually be why.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Bad shit happens, but it seems like things get reported on a bit too soon these days without enough fact checking. It's fine to feel bad for the girl and to feel rage at the apparent racism inherent to the way she was treated, but it's entirely something different to wish bodily harm on children who haven't been confirmed to be shitheels

Man why the fuck do people try to manufacture outrage when there's enough abhorrent, outrageous shit happening already

This kind of crap has been going on forever. I remember when the Duke Lacrosse story hit...and people lost their minds.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

My fear is people will simply stop believing hate crimes. We know there's usually not much report of the follow up after the initial news report.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
And there's nothing wrong with waiting. I hope that sentiment eventually starts to stick around here.
waiting to post? sure. waiting to call the school and demand their expulsion? you betcha. waiting to have any emotion at all? that's messed up. you should feel anger and empathy for the victim of a crime like this as soon as they come forward.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Maybe they'll be consistent and wish for her to get her ass kicked at recess.

But seriously yeah, bloodlust against 12 year olds is fucking terrible and there's no excuse for it. You can hope authorities mete out a proper punishment, but openly wishing for children to get beaten is the product of a warped mind.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think the actual article is in the wrong here.. I re-read it, and it just lays out her side of the story, which is all there was to go on at the time. It laid out the supposed facts.

The problem is online, and even here on the first page.. peoples first reaction is to call for other little kids to be BEATEN. Charged with hate crimes. Someone posted a video implying the "attackers" deserve the electric chair.

I think it's a fair conversation to be had that maybe these are not the proper or acceptable first reactions to an alleged event?

I don't want stories NOT reported on for fear of overreaction, but I feel like there should be some sort of middle ground that doesn't involve saying kids should get the electric chair.

Charge them with a hate crime.

Never have I felt such a strong desire to see some shitstain kids get their asses beat.
Hopefully those 3 kids get their asses beat at recess.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My fear is people will simply stop believing hate crimes. We know there's usually not much report of the follow up after the initial news report.
The thing is, they could have reported on this literally one or two days later and this wouldn't have happened. In their desire to be first to report it, they did everyone a disservice. Reporting on hate crimes is important, but I'm not sure that reporting on them the very minute they happen before any investigation has taken place serves anyone better than just waiting a few days until the story is clear. Hate crime investigations are not driven by Twitter outrage, so delaying reporting until they have been confirmed just makes sense to me.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Both a good and bad ending to the story. Unfortunately kids in their early teens are notorious for being terrible, so the original story wasn't surprising, but on the flip side they are also vicious liars, and about some of the worst possible things. I recall in 6th or 7th grade a couple of girls spread a rumor that some kid had a hitlist. They reported him to the administration, enlisted other kids to report saying that they had seen their names on said hitlist. It was really fucked up. In 8th grade we had a girl report that some adult harassed her near school grounds, a guy was arrested and everything until she admitted it was just a lie to cover her ass for something else.

Jun 1, 2019
Those tears she shed felt too real, the story may be fabricated but it feels like something may have happened with her and those boys at some point, especially if she's maintaining that she's a victim of bullying. Fuck it though, me speculating further would just be irresponsible, so I'mma just pray for the best for her and anybody who's been wronged in this situation.
Possible retaliation for bullying? What y'all think?
Glad I'm not the only one to think this though.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Just got a message that my wife's school has a group of white kids (probably GT students) that have just been charged for threatening a black teacher over social media. It got turned over to Police by her principal (the Principal is a good person..so I'm not surprised he turned the kids and their parents in).

Talk about a coincidence. Literally got the message while being in this thread.

Guess we'll see what happens in this case. Evidently it's rock solid as they have the media posts.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Possible retaliation for bullying? What y'all think?
I think you need help.

Those tears she shed felt too real, the story may be fabricated but it feels like something may have happened with her and those boys at some point, especially if she's maintaining that she's a victim of bullying. Fuck it though, me speculating further would just be irresponsible, so I'mma just pray for the best for her and anybody who's been wronged in this situation.

Glad I'm not the only one to think this though.

See, it's not just the Right who are guilty of concocting conspiracy theories to fuel their own agenda. Stop this.

Oct 26, 2017
Listen. When you're black and have to live with the knowledge of socioeconomic disparity and daily hate crimes and bigotry that affected and still affects your people just for trying to live their lives, then you reach a point where you already "know" what the deal is. False racially-charged accusations like this are rare in comparison to the vast amount of true accusations. I took it at face-value.
That said, I don't regret what I posted. At the time, it looked like another hate crime against a black girl just for daring to wear her natural hair.

Maybe the media can wait till confirmation that a crime happened before making it front page news, getting people in a frenzy over nothing. Probably too much to ask
Most of time, in this sort of situation, it's completely understandable to take actions like this at face-value because they are STILL a common occurrence.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Listen. When you're black and have to live with the knowledge of socioeconomic disparity and daily hate crimes and bigotry that affected and still affects your people just for trying to live their lives, then you reach a point where you already "know" what the deal is. False racially-charged accusations like this are rare in comparison to the vast amount of true accusations. I took it at face-value.
That said, I don't regret what I posted. At the time, it looked like another hate crime against a black girl just for daring to wear her natural hair.

Most of time, in this sort of situation, it's completely understandable to take actions like this at face-value because they are STILL a common occurrence.
Sure, but it is literally free to wait 3 days for the story to be investigated. It harms nobody. Any sort of investigation wasn't dependent on how many people wanted these kids to get beaten or expelled or whatever. It's not like they weren't going to check into it before it went viral.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if she learned this from people like Jussie or her parents. Awful. Glad to see this was discovered to be fake and innocent lives not destroyed.

"Neece said:
And there's nothing wrong with waiting. I hope that sentiment eventually starts to stick around here."

Highly doubtful, this isn't the first time and will not be the last time.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they did it I don't see how wishing 12 year olds get beat is coming from a clear head. But i've always been the type that hopes people can learn from their mistakes. And I would hope (if they had done it) they could have grown as people and come to a realization. Same now goes for this girl. 12 year olds are immature.

Unfortunately she is likely going to get a lot of social anguish from this that will effect the rest of her schooling years.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Internet police takes the L for the billionth time.

Also the media for spreading reactionary stories before the facts. All this does fuel anger from both sides and nothing gets fixed.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to see this was fake. These types of incidences will only create more doubt for future instances. It's a 12yo girl, so I'll try not to be too upset at a kid fucking up by making shit up (that is what kids do), but it just doesn't help anybody except the people who's first reaction to stories like these are that it's fake.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even say anything about believing or not believing, just that the idea of blasting your feelings out about an event stands to serve no one but yourself at best and can potentially lead to doxxing of an innocent child at worst.

My comment was as presented. Not believing the story is also a reaction. People are saying that people shouldn't have reacted to the story, which as told was blatant bigotry. Obviously people are going to feel strongly towards bigotry especially against children. The privileged people who can stand back and not feel anything are the outliers.

I won't bother quoting the people in this thread who are suggesting how this girl should be punished, but it is interesting that we're not waiting for more details with regards to that.

I won't be a hypocrite, though. I will always believe these stories until proven wrong, because they are true more often than not. I won't necessarily give input on the punishment, but these stories only hurt "both sides" if we pretend they happen as often as the bigots would like to pretend they do.

it just doesn't help anybody except the people who's first reaction to stories like these are that it's fake.

They were never going to believe it, all under the guise of being skeptical.

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but it is literally free to wait 3 days for the story to be investigated. It harms nobody. Any sort of investigation wasn't dependent on how many people wanted these kids to get beaten or expelled or whatever. It's not like they weren't going to check into it before it went viral.
I understand your point. However, how many times have investigations lead nowhere or ended up with the ones who did getting basically a slap on the wrist? There's always that thought that lingers in the back of my head. And that's where my mindset was when I wrote that post.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
First page of this thread. smdh.

We need level heads to confront the actual racist and sexist shit going on around us all the time. Outrage culture is such a cheap substitute for meaningful engagement.

level headedness in threads like this gets you banned. Look at the Jussie Smollet Threads or the Chipotle Manager threads.

There's nothing wrong with approaching a controversial topic like this with a level head and maybe even some skepticism, but it never ends well for the person with the minority opinion. All to often these threads are either all in or nothing.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Disappointing to see this was fake. These types of incidences will only create more doubt for future instances. It's a 12yo girl, so I'll try not to be too upset at a kid fucking up by making shit up (that is what kids do), but it just doesn't help anybody except the people who's first reaction to stories like these are that it's fake.
I'm glad it's fake because it means that there are three young boys who maybe aren't racist fucks, and no girl got racially abused

I wish she didn't feel the need to cover up whatever fuckup actually wrecked her hair by pinning it on other kids, but I'm relieved it was a fake story tbh. It's a shame that it will cast doubt on future stories, but honestly hate crimes are not so difficult to prove in the age of cell phones and CCTV. How many "Pizza hut Pam" and other stories are we seeing with clearly recorded evidence of their foul behavior, resulting in them losing their jobs and being generally lambasted? People will get their comeuppance. In my view, the media should have a little more restraint in reporting these incidents, waiting until either more info comes out or evidence of a half-assed investigation in need of some public outcry to get things rolling again presents itself

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019
I think you need help.

See, it's not just the Right who are guilty of concocting conspiracy theories to fuel their own agenda. Stop this.
Nope, I'll believe what I want. I'm wouldn't ask nor do I want anything to be done based on mere speculation of course, but I'm entitled to feel skeptical still, especially when I too was a black kid who went to predominantly white school once, and had to deal with a lot of racism while there( racism that was swept under the rug btw). Judge me how you will.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's fake because it means that there are three young boys who maybe aren't racist fucks, and no girl got racially abused
Yeah, I guess in that context. It's just a shame this girl made this up (again, unfortunately kids do shit like that from time-to-time), because now 'It's fake!' will be the rights battle cry whenever an incident involving race is brought up (though Jessie Smollett already pushed that rhetoric more than any 12yo ever could).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can tell you why**, because I have a 12 year old.

She cut her own hair or altered her own hair and was afraid of getting in big trouble for it. To a kid that age, being reprimanded or punished for something that seems trivial to us, is often a HUGE and scary deal for them.

She may have made it up in order to protect herself. She didn't realize the adults would go after the school, teachers, media, etc. When she realized she had made a huge mistake it was too late. So you end up with a story like this.

Unfortunately she doesn't understand how this can hurt so many people like her who are really hurt/abused on a daily basis. Sounds like she's pretty well off, so it's the mistake of a kid that really doesn't know any better.

** Why = why my daughter might do something like this, and may not actually be why.

Right. I don't think she necessarily understood the societal forces that would come into play here.

Or maybe she did and I'm just being naive. I don't want to believe that someone would do this intentionally.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
People do know you can takes an accusers claims seriously without start a mob mentality, right?

What behaviours were influenced in this thread? There were a few people who went over the top, but most people just said that a reported hate crime should be treated as such.

I'm missing the mob mentality.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What behaviours were influenced in this thread? There were a few people who went over the top, but most people just said that a reported hate crime should be treated as such.

I'm missing the mob mentality.
This thread was fairly okay, but did you happen to check twitter? People were trying to doxx these kids and their parents. The mob was out in full force. There were only a few overzealous folks on here, but I think the comment stands. People really get off on tearing people down on the internet, evidence or no, and by the time more evidence absolves the targets of their ire, said asshats have already moved on to the next target and learn literally nothing and face zero consequences for being humongous pricks to innocent people

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the media can wait till confirmation that a crime happened before making it front page news, getting people in a frenzy over nothing. Probably too much to ask
Maybe people could also show responsibility whenever something awful happens.

I'm not saying don't get mad, I'm saying wait a week or two before saying or doing anything. Better safe than sorry and it won't matter that you waited a week to voice your opinion in the long run.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Maybe people could also show responsibility whenever something awful happens.

I'm not saying don't get mad, I'm saying wait a week or two before saying or doing anything. Better safe than sorry and it won't matter that you waited a week to voice your opinion in the long run.
I agree with your mindset, but I also don't really see there being any real long term harm in the denizens of ResetEra jumping the gun. It's when people reach out on social media and try to get people fired/found/hurt when it becomes a problem, rather than geeks on a niche video game forum shouting mean things into the void. I think it'd be nice if people were less hasty, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal that 4 or 5 people got ahead of themselves in their bloodlust

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
This thread was fairly okay, but did you happen to check twitter? People were trying to doxx these kids and their parents. The mob was out in full force. There were only a few overzealous folks on here, but I think the comment stands. People really get off on tearing people down on the internet, evidence or no, and by the time more evidence absolves the targets of their ire, said asshats have already moved on to the next target and learn literally nothing and face zero consequences for being humongous pricks to innocent people

I don't check Twitter, so I didn't consider that point. Those people are wrong, as people on Twitter tend to be. I'm more focused on this forum, so if that isn't what is being referenced, I'll stop interjecting.

I agree with your mindset, but I also don't really see there being any real long term harm in the denizens of ResetEra jumping the gun. It's when people reach out on social media and try to get people fired/found/hurt when it becomes a problem, rather than geeks on a niche video game forum shouting mean things into the void.

This is basically my stance on this.

The traditional backpatting portion of the thread will continue, but I don't think that having no reaction to a reported hate crime is something to be super proud of.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't check Twitter, so I didn't consider that point. Those people are wrong, as people on Twitter tend to be. I'm more focused on this forum, so if that isn't what is being referenced, I'll stop interjecting.
Nah, I don't think you were off base at all regarding the forum. I was simply providing the wider context for that post, and where the mob mentality is actually harmful. You're good.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't think the actual article is in the wrong here.. I re-read it, and it just lays out her side of the story, which is all there was to go on at the time. It laid out the supposed facts.

The problem is online, and even here on the first page.. peoples first reaction is to call for other little kids to be BEATEN. Charged with hate crimes. Someone posted a video implying the "attackers" deserve the electric chair.

I think it's a fair conversation to be had that maybe these are not the proper or acceptable first reactions to an alleged event?

I don't want stories NOT reported on for fear of overreaction, but I feel like there should be some sort of middle ground that doesn't involve saying kids should get the electric chair.
One of these things is not like the other. When a hate crime is alleged to have occurred, the correct response is to charge the perpetrators with a hate crime. If, as in this case, the allegation turns out to be false, the charges are dropped. I stand by my post 100%.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
One of these things is not like the other. When a hate crime is alleged to have occurred, the correct response is to charge the perpetrators with a hate crime. If, as in this case, the allegation turns out to be false, the charges are dropped. I stand by my post 100%.
The correct response is usually to investigate before criminal charges are actually brought, to ensure that there is sufficient evidence to substantiate the charges. Which is what happened. Which resulted in the exoneration of these kids, who thankfully were not prematurely arrested or sent to juvy awaiting trial, which is typically the result of charges being brought. You don't usually jump directly from accusation-->charges