• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
He says that obviously Microsoft wants it to happen but according to multiple sources (that gave him a whole lot of insider information about the next generation of Xbox consoles, specs, codenames and games) it is not right now.

There has been a lot of talk out there about Game Pass on the Switch. I'm hearing from multiple sources that is not happening. Let me qualify, that is definitely not happening in the near term. I can't ever say never, because Microsoft wants Game Pass on TV's, they want it on PC's, they want it on Xbox, they want it everywhere with their XCloud stuff, but as of right now I am hearing from multiple people that it isn't coming to the Switch. Obviously things could change and all that good stuff, but yeah don't expect Game Pass on the Switch anytime soon. At least that is what I'm hearing.

However he did confirm on an older video that something is effectively in the works between Microsoft and Nintendo but he didn't know exactly what, he couldn't confirm if it was Gamepass/xCloud at the time. Now he's been told that it's not.

It could be just another MS game published on Switch as a 3rd party to a platform holder relationship.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018
never understood why people where thinking it will actually happen considering how bad the wifi / how buggy the wifi is in most switches

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I still believe this is, for now, another one of the game studios acquisitions publishing on Switch and/or the whole Banjo-Kazooie on Smash ordeal.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really expect it anytime soon.

Most I was expecting was an announcement of them bringing Gamepass streaming to other devices around E3 time, and then a slowish rollout to devices over the next year or so.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Let's get XCloud running great (or at all) on the Xbox and PCs before worrying about it on another company's hardware.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
RIP

All that rumors for nothing
I mean, that's what rumors are generally for. Nothing. Especially Nintendo rumors.

It was crazy to see the game of unsubstantiated telephone that grew up that week though:

Nintendo reviving a dead franchise > Nintendo reviving Scalebound > Nintendo and MS working on "big things" together > GamePass & Xbox indies on Switch

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I mean, we've got E3 in a few months and I think if we're going to hear anything about the relationship between these two it'll be then.

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. It'd be hell depending on how 3rd-parties handle it, making native ports redundant to them. Plus with the Switch's Wi-Fi and I'm pretty sure the portability isn't so easy having to have a constant Wi-Fi connection outdoors.

The native ports from Microsoft are all I care about right now.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Nintendo has to release one or two of their IPs on Xbox first due to the decline of their platforms.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this would be worth a thread considering all the rumors swirling around Game Pass coming to the Switch, and the huge thread on Resetera talking about this subject.

Brad Samms made a video talking about several things including Next Generation Xbox and price, XCloud, Game Core, and Game Pass.

This is what he had to say about Game Pass coming to the Nintendo Switch.

"There has been a lot of talk out there about Game Pass on the Switch. I'm hearing from multiple sources that is not happening. Let me qualify, that is definitely not happening in the near term. I can't ever say never, because Microsoft wants Game Pass on TV's, they want it on PC's, they want it on Xbox, they want it everywhere with their XCloud stuff, but as of right now I am hearing from multiple people that it isn't coming to the Switch. Obviosly things could change and all that good stuff, but yeah don't expect Game Pass on the Switch anytime soon. At least that is what I'm hearing."

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
GP coming to Switch is a crazy bad idea for Nintendo. The service is meant to compliment and spark spending in Microsoft's controlled ecosystem, and could undermine a competing platform.

Nintendo needs to make their own Game Pass. And with Switch Online's NES games, they kind of are. Just need to expand it more. We could see a Switch x GeForce Now service of some sort given the Tegra's functionality with Nvidia's cloud streaming.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
There's too much smoke on this one not to be fire.

Something big is brewing between these 2. Maybe it's just smaller Xbox exclusives being natively on Switch? Idk I think it's bigger than that. We'll see at E3

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
This Nintendo-Microsoft partnership rumor got a bit out of control. You heard someone say it and suddenly everyone knew something about it and it became bigger with every report.

Kinda reminds me of Star Fox Grandprix.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Still super early days so not super surprising. I do wonder if Nintendo will ever allow a separate gaming subscription on their service though.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I understand that Microsoft wants their services on every device, but I don't see why their direct competitors would allow it on their consoles. Royalties from 3rd party games is a major part of the revenue for Sony and Nintendo.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate, though I'm curious where all the smoke came from, then. Part of the reason this blew up like it did was because some sort of rumored collab between Nintendo and Microsoft had been presumably brewing over the last year.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah - people really though Nintendo would just let the have xCloud on them and potentially fuck up their Switch software sales lol.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they goal for Microsoft is to sell the software itself not place their games on another console. I'm thinking more Nintendo GamesPass by Microsoft.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like you posted before me. This is what he said, if you need it for the OP.

"There has been a lot of talk out there about Game Pass on the Switch. I'm hearing from multiple sources that is not happening. Let me qualify, that is definitely not happening in the near term. I can't ever say never, because Microsoft wants Game Pass on TV's, they want it on PC's, they want it on Xbox, they want it everywhere with their XCloud stuff, but as of right now I am hearing from multiple people that it isn't coming to the Switch. Obviously things could change and all that good stuff, but yeah don't expect Game Pass on the Switch anytime soon. At least that is what I'm hearing."

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A few weeks ago I prodded various people regarding this, and nobody heard about Gamepass on Switch.

Only thing that seemed legit about the MS/Nintendo rumor is "Ori" coming to switch.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I mean, that never really made sense after all. Why would Nintendo allow a service on their console that would enable people to play countless games for little money? Gamepass would canabilize Nintendo's First Party Sales. Microsoft couldn't pay nearly enough to make up for the losses