• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

HARDWARE
On the hardware side, I expect Microsoft to start to peel back the layers on the secrecy around their next generation consoles, Anaconda and Lockhart. For those who are hoping to see a list of raw specs, I don't think that's on the agenda quite yet. Instead, look for the company to provide performance multipliers for the hardware; I have heard that Lockhart and Anaconda are targeting at least a 2x performance gain for the high-end (Anaconda) and 4x for the lower end hardware(Lockhart).

Further, the company will likely highlight features of the new platform such as using solid-state drives, Navi graphics, Zen 2, backwards compatibility and other components of the AMD platform. Also, expect to hear about how these new consoles can take existing Xbox One X games and enhance the graphics and gameplay experience. By holding the explicit specs back, this allows the company to talk about the underlying features of the console without playing all their cards for the upcoming devices.

GAMES
On the games side, Microsoft will be showing off 14 titles from their own game studios, according to Phil Spencer. Of that, I expect titles like Gears of War 5 (codenamed Halifax) will have a strong presence, and we will also see items like new DLC for State of Decay 2, Forza Horizon 4 Expansion 2, Halo Infinite trailer and gameplay, Age of Empires info, Fable details may be tossed in as well; it looks like there will be at least 3 new IPs that we haven't seen previously.

For Halo Infinite, this will be the first real showing of the next generation game. Microsoft will be running the demos from a PC with an Xbox controller as they don't want the first impression of the new game to be running on the now dated Xbox One hardware.
In addition to Microsoft having a solid first-party presence, sources at the company are saying that this is among the strongest showings from third-party companies in its E3 history.

XCLOUD
But the darling of the event will be the company's xCloud service. Microsoft has been talking about this service for about a year and at E3, we will get a new look at the offering. While I don't think Microsoft will share the raw performance figures of xCloud, I have heard that it does best Google's previously announced 10.7 teraflops.

Expect to see new demos of the service and I know at one point, they were looking to have a demo from a location outside the venue. Meaning, a demo that shows someone using xCloud at home but I have not heard if this scenario made the final cut.

PC
GamePass for the PC will be talked about in much greater detail. I noted last week that the company was working on a new PC application for the service code-named Garrison and WalkingCat has found evidence of its existence. Supporting my post, Microsoft is also rebranding today the Xbox PC app to Xbox Console Companion, clearing the way for the new app to arrive in the very near future.

GAME PASS
There are questions still around if Microsoft will have a separate SKU for only GamePass on the PC. According to French registered trademarks, it looks like that will be the case as Microsoft has claimed the name for copyright protection but they could also be doing this to simply protect themselves legally and not launch the stand-alone SKU.

And of course, you can expect new game announcements for Game Pass to be announced.

E3 IN GENERAL
When you look at all the big bucket announcements: high-level talk of next-gen console hardware features, xCloud demos, PC Game Pass details, a bunch of new game announcements for both first and third party, and sprinkle in a few other gems, it's turning out to be a significant event for Microsoft.

While they could have dialed it back since Sony won't be around, it looks like they actually doubled-down to make this show one of the best in years. With Phil Spencer now having been at the top of the Xbox org for several years, his plans to turn the brand around are starting to materialize.

There's more at the link above, I'm really excited about this press briefing.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Microsoft is about to make history. Lock it in.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
2018 was already great, can't wait to see what they are cooking

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple parts that make me hyped:

"they actually doubled-down to make this show one of the best in years"
"sources at the company are saying that this is among the strongest showings from third-party companies in its E3 history"
"it looks like there will be at least 3 new IPs that we haven't seen previously" (this is from Microsoft, not third parties)
"I don't think Microsoft will share the raw performance figures of xCloud, I have heard that it does best Google's previously announced 10.7 teraflops"

Seems like Microsoft has a lot to show, enough material to beat last year's E3. Maybe we won't get much in terms of acquisitions, but at least 3 brand new Microsoft IPs announced alongside what we already know (Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Battletoads, etc.) sounds impressive, and the biggest third party presence in a long time means there will be something for everybody. Seems like they are going to have one hell of a show. Sunday can't come soon enough.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I have heard that Lockhart and Anaconda are targeting at least a 2x performance gain for the high-end (Anaconda) and 4x for the lower end hardware(Lockhart).

So, ~12 and ~5Tflops?

Sounds roughly in line with prior rumours.

On XCloud, I'm not sure why they'd specify hardware for that given that it would presumably be a straight line translation from that to the consoles? Or maybe not, I suppose, if they're doing a multi-sku strategy - maybe xCloud would be a third, technically distinct SKU for their next gen software? I think for simplicity's sake, for devs, xCloud being a 1:1 map from one of the existing skus would be better.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
It's weird that they want to show a next-gen game when they know it's going to be a huge shadow on Gears 5's presence. Curious to see what will happen in a couple of days.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I know it's not Microsofts words, but calling the less than 2 year old and very well engineered Xbox One X "Dated" is funny.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I don't think Microsoft will share the raw performance figures of xCloud, I have heard that it does best Google's previously announced 10.7 teraflops.

I would not be shocked if Google announced on the 6th that they've already upgraded their hardware ("we are now at 12 FLOPS!"). This Stadia vs xCloud battle seems to be a back and forth with them trying to one up each other.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I dont think they will show next gen demos until e3 2020
Article says they will demo Halo Infinite as a next-gen game, but won't show it on next-gen hardware:
For Halo Infinite, this will be the first real showing of the next generation game. Microsoft will be running the demos from a PC with an Xbox controller as they don't want the first impression of the new game to be running on the now dated Xbox One hardware.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Microsoft bringing the big guns.

4782516-9395789506-6QNmP.gif

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that they want to show a next-gen game when they know it's going to be a huge shadow on Gears 5's presence. Curious to see what will happen in a couple of days.

That's the risk every time you launch a megaton announcement, next-gen or not. Gears 5 will probably do pretty fine considering it's coming to Microsoft Store, Steam, Xbox One S/X, will be compatible with next-gen Xbox in a year or so, it's on Game Pass day one and it will be on xCloud. Revealing games that are a few years away won't steal its steam as they don't really compete for the same "piece of money".

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Can't wait for this. Hopefully the three new IPs are substantial, I want games with action not isometric style or strategy

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, they will absolutely murk the competition, and set a brand new standard for E3 shows that will be hard to topped. Acquisitions announcements like Insomniac and Capcom, plus consumer friendly play anywhere options will easily set them to a domination of Gen 9.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Kind of a hyperbolic way if describing Microsofts E3 if you ask me. Nothing here is setting any significant bars. Xcloud outperforming Stadia maybe in raw numbers, but we're still so early it's hard if there will be a discernable difference at the end user level. Everything else is totally par for the course and right in line with the competition if not behind on some things. It would be fun to get a new console reveal though and footage of new games. Also very interested in their Steam support.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That "MS could have done a more laid back E3 because Sony isnt there or go full out and chose the latter" thing is coming back the whole time.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what those three new IPs could be... Ninja Theory's IP would surely have to be one of them, but the other two are harder to pin down.

Can't wait for this. Hopefully the three new IPs are substantial, I want games with action not isometric style or strategy
I'll allow isometric gameplay only if it's Snake Rattle 'n' Roll 2

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. He says from what he has heard it seems many 3rd party devs who moved away from Xbox early on in the gen will be coming back
Interesting that they will demo Halo Infinite on a PC instead of their next-gen hardware.
why would they when next-gen hardware development isn't done. Do you think the dev kits currently out have finalized Scarlet specs?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited to discover the Halo franchise on PC. I hope they manage to port 5 on it once the MCC will be out. I'll keep an eye on the Infinite gameplay as well.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
That "MS could have done a more laid back E3 because Sony isnt there or go full out and chose the latter" thing is coming back the whole time.

They will absolutely take the opportunity and be in control of the next gen narrative, Sony will be playing catch-up to whatever MS is announcing. There is blood in the water, and they won't screw up like they did last time.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On XCloud, I'm not sure why they'd specify hardware for that given that it would presumably be a straight line translation from that to the consoles? Or maybe not, I suppose, if they're doing a multi-sku strategy - maybe xCloud would be a third, technically distinct SKU for their next gen software? I think for simplicity's sake, for devs, xCloud being a 1:1 map from one of the existing skus would be better.

If I had to guess, MS has decoupled xCloud from the next-gen platforms because it's going to launch much earlier than their hardware. They don't want to give Stadia the hardware advantage or launch timing advantage.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I am excited for the conference but mainly for the multi plat games they will show, I do hope they can sell me on some console exclusives however. I am really excited to finally see some information for next gen for sure though.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
That's weird. Most companies usually aim low when putting on a public show.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in whether these new IPs are early next-gen games or aiming for the current hardware and what their scale is. I highly doubt all three are AAA unless they're early glimpses into the future.

Nov 23, 2017
They will absolutely take the opportunity and be in control of the next gen narrative, Sony will be playing catch-up to whatever MS is announcing. There is blood in the water, and they won't screw up like they did last time.
The company that already detailed its next system before ms has is playing catch up?? How does that work

Mark cerny is a lot different than rumors or leakers before you try to go that angle

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, I've been down on almost everything Xbox this gen, with the exception of their solid services, backwards compatibility and how damn good the One X is, but I've got a feeling they're about to put on a standout show during an E3 that might be a snoozefest otherwise. Sounds like they've got an arsenal ready to show off.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think tne biggest portion will be about xCloud and what they are doing on PC.

Interesting that they will demo Halo Infinite on a PC instead of their next-gen hardware.

Doesn't really make sense to unless they want to talk about the next Xbox, which I don't think they are ready to do.