• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
24GB, 12TF or bust

Everything on Anaconda must be 2x an Xbox One X or this will be a disappointing "next gen" system

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what "talk" means in this case. Oh, just starting to peel back the layers I see. Really curious to see if the next box or PS5 come out first. We'll surely hear about the latter at some event by this fall.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's continuing to set the tone for the future, S, X, BC etc. helped Microsoft turn it around, people need to feel confident in the brand, building a future, new investment, new games. Xbox needs that. They can't do a PS2 wait and see hype train so they do this then talk it up to turn the screw.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Phil Spencer says he likes to be transparent. They did a similar announcement for Xbox One X.

And Microsoft as a whole is a lot more open these days on what they are working on.

I expect a reveal closer to what Sony did with the PS4 than what Microsoft did with the X. So I expect specs, vision and some gameplay. However, I don't expect price or release date.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will have something in April or May. So after GDC and before E3. I mean they can't keep quiet until fall.
They can. Why announce next gen if you're not shipping it till 2020. They're dominating this gen so why annouce it now and lose that holiday revenue where xbox wants to get people interested in their console now.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Seems crazy to me to talk about the new consoles this early, but ok. I guess MS really wants to get ahead messaging wise, maybe even with their launch?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I wanna see 4k 60 games, I wannna see solid state drives, I wanna see ray tracing

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like announcing over a year in advance seems like a bit much.

Why not announce them next year with way more details so you can have a consistent hype train?

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to have to be pretty unbeliebably incredible to get me to buy another xbox. The One was such a wasted purchase for me this gen. It's actually in my closet right now.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It's on my bucket list to attend E3 at some point but convincing my missus it would actually be a great holiday for us both is proving difficult right now, lol.

I've only been as an industry person / organiser. Loads of fun, but we kind of cheat since we can get in earlier and stay longer so no lines to check out anything.

Probably not the same experience for regulars. We had up to 6-8 hours queues at Gamescom for BFV for example. But since we are 64p game, we get thousands of people through every event. Lines are probably even more insane for Nintendo games.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
MS did also vaguely (let a bunch of devs) talk about X a year plus before actual X launch, so maybe something like that again

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
They can. Why announce next gen if you're not shipping it till 2020. They're dominating this gen so why annouce it now and lose that holiday revenue where xbox wants to get people interested in their console now.

They're not dominating anymore, the Switch is the new king in town in 2019. They are starting to decline and we are on the eve on next gen. So it makes all the sense in the world to communicate about the PS5 in 2019.

Yes, the PS5 will come in 2020. But we don't know when. It could be Spring. And if it's Spring 2020 indeed, I expect communication in H1 2019.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I have a feeling MS won't mess around with these boxes.
They better not or else they're done for. I'm saying this as someone who really enjoys what Xbox has brought over the years from the OG to the 360 to select titles on the Xbox One. If they don't nail this launch with an attractive selection of launch titles and competitive hardware pricing, they may as well just pack up shop and be done with it. This industry isn't very forgiving imo and with it being a popular thing for journalists to take a fat dump on everyone and anyone nowadays for clicks, it'll be the death of the brand. Xbox gets a lot of hate as it is right now from the press.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
better announce it early and send the message you want or the leakers will do it for you with whatever message they want. This undercuts all those leaks last time with people just twisting things around, it's good for them.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only been as an industry person / organiser. Loads of fun, but we kind of cheat since we can get in earlier and stay longer so no lines to check out anything.

Probably not the same experience for regulars. We had up to 6-8 hours queues at Gamescom for BFV for example. But since we are 64p game, we get thousands of people through every event. Lines are probably even more insane for Nintendo games.

In a perverse kind of way if I do get to go I want the queues to be huge, I want that real E3 stinky experience lol.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I'm assuming it'll be similar to the small Scorpio teaser at E3 2016, with a release the following year.
However, I'm also wondering if they'll want to release it this year to get ahead of the competition? They did that back in 2005 with the Xbox 360 and I think it did give them a big advantage, but it was soon followed by multiple issues (RRoD, etc.) that cost them a good chunk of money and negative public perception.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Probably an announcement like with the One x. Not expecting them just showing the fucking thing lol.

But kinda makes sense, Sony isn´t at E3, Xbox One isn´t going to get a second life like the 360 with the Kinect, they see it isn´t selling that well anymore in the US, might as well get the spotlight and get people talking about you.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah

They are making a lot of aggressive (as well as smart) moves

Pretty excited for what's on store from the in the near future
I think they are literally the best possible moves they could be making given the circumstances of their current situation, and it's looking like it's going to be industry-shaking stuff. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's a big gap between announcement and release. Wonder why they're eager to announce it so early.
1) To keep mindshare during a time where they are still in third place and Google (and soon Amazon) are unveiling their platforms.

2) To alleviate concerns that they're going third party and pulling out of the hardware game, with Game Pass coming to additional platforms.

3) Because Scarlett will undoubtedly be integral with their xCloud plans, and that's happening this year even if the new hardware isn't coming until next year.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Why announce a new, more powerful console when you already have the most powerful console on the market? Microsoft's obsession with hardware continues.