• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Brad Sams is one of the most trustworthy sources on anything MS, so this's as close to official as we'll ever get probably. The interesting part is it confirms MS is actively looking into Japanese devs to add to their first party.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man just imagine the posts here if Microsoft bought Platinum Games.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Platinum would be happy to be owned by MS given how things went with Scalebound...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Seems like they were not the only ones

I am surprised that platinum were in just a dire need for money actually, i thought nier kept them safe for a while.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Weren't Platinum always against getting bought? The team left capcom to go their own way.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
MS have been making good acquisitions, but feels like that would have been a disaster waiting to happen.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like they were not the only ones

I am surprised that platinum were in just a dire need for money actually, i thought nier kept them safe for a while.

When you are contracted, you only get an X percentage of sales and the vast majority of the revenue goes to the publisher.
PG had over 200 devs and they were dropped by MS, CyGames and 2-3 mobile games were halted.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Tencent threw some money at Platinum not long ago that was surprisingly without a substantial catch. There's a whole story behind the scenes. I'd read the hell out of an extended article that uncovered it.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering how bad the Xbox sells in Japan, it'd have been a disaster for Platinum games

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I see all the people saying thank god it didn't happen then see people happy that Sony may buy remedy. Wonder what the difference is ?

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
slide_246745_1427610_free.gif

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is a bad direction for the industry. MS acquisitions forced Sony to respond and now insomniac is off the table for multi-platform development. If MS is still shopping around, Sony will be too. Hopefully the acquisition race stops. Stadia is fizzling out, so hopefully the console makers are less worried.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to look up what games Platinum Games has developed, and it seems that I haven't played a game of theirs. Had this deal come to fruition, I wouldn't have felt like I'd be missing out on anything, but I know lots of people would've hated it ahaha

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't Platinum always against getting bought? The team left capcom to go their own way.
True, but bills gotta be paid, teams need funds to grow, software licensing is not a joke etc etc. Trying live off the funding from game-to-game is like a person living pay cheque to pay cheque - only you have vastly more dependents who's future you are responsible for...

At some point you have to think about swallowing your pride and doing what's best for the stability/growth of your family.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised, this was around the time Microsoft were busy scooping up a bunch of other mid-range studios with varying degrees of prosperity.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how they were looking into getting any funding last year before tencent investment, I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Nah, I think they were always looking towards a deal to maintain independence rather than sell themselves. If they got some cheddar from MS in exchange for a couple of exclusives, they'd probably bite (like the sega deal)

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how bad the Xbox sells in Japan, it'd have been a disaster for Platinum games
Most of their sold copies are outside of Japan. It would be far from disastrous (especially when you factor in millions of gamepass subs).
Nah, I think they were always looking towards a deal to maintain independence rather than sell themselves. If they got some cheddar from MS in exchange for a couple of exclusives, they'd probably bite (like the sega deal)
Maintaining independence and IP ownership is of course what they want, but Brad wouldn't have said thedeal fell apart or MS decided to change their opinion if Platinum didn't at least consider it. Tencent is clearly the better solution for them, but that probably wasn't there when MS was negotiating them.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness. They're not as bad as EA when it comes to studio closures at least. I'm really glad that deal fell through.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'd rather they be owned by MS vs this.

More people are buying Japanese games outside of Japan than Japan is for a lot of games. That's why it makes perfect sense for Xbox to invest in Japanese devs, people in NA and EU are buying them.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine Nintendo would let such a thing happen. I imagine they'd attempt to outbid since Platinum has been such an important third party to them over the last decade.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum was looking for funding, MS was one of those they most likely looked at to help with funding. My guess is MS would fund, but wanted to acquire them in the process. Tencent came along with funding options without having to be acquired.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Shame it didn't happened, they could really use the budget.

And being a 1st party stuff like Scalebound needing more time/money wouldn't be as much as a problem as when you are contracted