• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So reveal early 2020, blowout E3 2020, and launch November 2020.

Zero reason for anyone to buy an Xbox now then.

Not at all. The next Xbox will be backwards compatible so you could pick up an X and get the best experience for consoles games and then that library transfers to the next Xbox day one allowing you to simply sell your X

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
with Sony aiming for a 2019 release.
giphy.webp

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
2020 has always been my thought, it allows both companies to release consoles with much higher specs at lower costs. I couldn't see a 2019 release being good for either company. Let the technology mature for another 12 months.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple skus is what I expected. S and X both do well in their own markets. I suspect they will continue to have a baseline and premium model

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I think releasing multiple sku's at launch of a console is not a good move. PS3 and Wii-U didn't have a good start. Yes there were a lot of other factors involved but I think keeping it simple at the beginning is for the better.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I love how Sams is more focusing on the Xbox stuff now also. He always has been a insider but covered Xbox not much.

Oct 27, 2017
There's other incentives to taking out the disc drive though, for example anyone buying that SKU would be making 100% of their purchases digitally from Microsoft's store, which means a lot more money in MS's pockets. No BD/UHD licensing costs to worry about either without a disc drive. I could see a $499 SKU with the disc drive included, and a $399 SKU without one.
Yeah but taking disc out doesn't reduce cost by $100. It at best reduces it by $30. I get that it makes them more money from digital but the bulk of sales will still be retail and Ms's 30% cut from third party is unchanged.

So let's say there's a disc SKU that costs $450 to make, sells for $500. You take out disc and you cut down costs to $420. How do you make it profitable at $400? What else do you cut?

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty big news. I think 2020 is a good choice; 2019 would've been too early, in my opinion.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Phil definitely said "Next Xbox Consoles", as in more than one, so this makes sense to me. Could mean a slim, entry-level model and a enhanced powerful model like they are doing now, but right off the bat. Could also mean a streaming device or something more in-line with the Switch.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
2020 sounds good to me and I'll go with the premium SKU is there is one.

I imagine the new Halo game releases in 2020 as well as a cross-gen game designed for both Xbox One and Scarlet. I don't think a Halo game has launched with a console since the original game, but I love the idea of it.
Cyberpunk 2077, Betheda's Starfield, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Respawn's Star Wars game, maybe Avengers and even Dragon Age 4 could all be 2020 games.

There will be plenty of shiny stuff to show off new hardware.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I've been expecting for a long time now. Microsoft and Sony both launching next gen machines in the fall of 2020.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
I can see them providing a game streaming service which supports tablets, phones, and a very basic streaming box for under tv, and then the regular xbox console.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Guys forget multiple SKUs in power terms... they won't develop two APUs with the cheapest being around the X power... there is no way to go with over 15TFs with 7nm too.

Multiple SKUs could mean different features set like HDD, Blu-ray, etc... the same APU and raw power.

The mid-gen consoles only happened because there are a due-shrink for that... and 5mm is way to longer to happen next-gen.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I wish they still had more time first. The combination of last gen being so surprisingly long, and most devs this gen only getting out one or two games has left this gen feeling very short and underwhelming to me. Especially with major franchises like GTA and Elder Scrolls completely skipping these consoles.

I'm broke and in no rush to get a new system.

If next gen moves even further in the smart phone direction, with multiple skus of differing specs and continues towards the games as a service trend (and away from quality single player) I might be growing out of this hobby for the most part.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
My guess

Scarlett family: Beefy machine for 400-450$, base model for 300-350, Streaming dongle 150$

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
99 dollars Xbox scarlet mini streaming device console quality no lag experience built with MS azure

399 Xbox scarlet base model

499 Xbox scarlet x premium model

All games forwards and backwards compatible, full backwards compatibility with Xbox one 360 and og Xbox

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I feel that MS won't be looking to launch too soon. Remember Phil's quote in The Guardian about having learned about launching underpowered and overpriced hardware. If the current rumour is that PS5 is to launch Q4 2021 then launching the next Xbox a year in advance doesn't make sense given the extra year of R&D Sony would have. It'd be somewhat analogous to Dreamcast vs. PS2.

But that assumes that MS won't have a new SKU out in 2023 that's also backwards compatible.

Oct 27, 2017
A UHD drive isn't cheap at this point and it also greatly reduces both power consumption and thermal requirements (so they can use a cheaper cooling solution - especially compared to the elaborate vapour cooling solution they currently use in the Xbox One X).

Also means a smaller console with reduced manufacturing complexity. Those savings all add up pretty quickly. Add on the fact that all purchases would be digital, meaning greatly increased software margins, and it offsets the manufacturing costs a lot more quickly for MS (meaning that they can afford to drop the hardware price to compensate).
There's a user on here, Intersect I think, who can go into greater detail on blu ray costs.

But that also means two different consoles to make so even if the disc less console is less complex to make you now have two variants to manage. Seems like that would negate any reduced complexity.

In 2016, IHS estimated the UHD drive in One S cost $33 compared to the $18 it cost to make a standard BE drive. I can only imagine that price has come down

In fact you can find UHD players on sale for $100 often at stores. It does not cost much more than $20-$30 to add a UHD drive. The impact it would have on price is minimal while the impact it would have branding and consumer Confusion over SKUs could potentially be large

$100 UHD players (just search Best Buy's site) are probably sold at triple or double cost to make profit. If so, i doubt a drive costs much to make

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll just wait for the Double X in 2020:
-1P efforts will start bearing fruit then
-it'll be XBX on steroids so Gears 5/Halo will look even better
-most likely hardware reset for XX games so they won't work on X
-enhanced BC library will be satisfactory
-currently not much reason to get da X

So yeah, think I can manage 2 years without Xbox but I will be there day 1 next gen, it'll be a much better start.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
2020 sounds good to me, although it's completely killed any urge to get an X.
I am in this boat. Desire to buy an X went from about 75% last night to near Zero after reading this.

I wanted to get the most out of game pass, my 4k tv and my money, and I don't think $400 is a good move for ~2 years maybe three of support. I was hoping to get more like 3-4.

Just not sure now.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not as skeptical as most when it comes to Semiaccurate, and they mentioned devkits and moves that made even a late 2018 possible, though unlikely. It comes down to who you believe.

It doesn't. It's a site called "semi accurate" that requires $1000 to subscribe. Sony's investor meeting seemed like 2020, Jason S's Kotaku reporting hinted toward 2020, and we don't have 2019 release dates for all of Sony's first party, which would seem like a given if the PS5 were to release next year. 2018 is laughable and should have nipped that "rumor" in the bud.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about this, I feel that Sony will release the PS5 in 2019, don't know how much will affect ms the 1 year lead

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Guys forget multiple SKUs in power terms... they won't develop two APUs with the cheapest being around the X power... there is no way to go with over 15TFs with 7nm too.

Multiple SKUs could mean different features set like HDD, Blu-ray, etc... the same APU and raw power.
'
Why not? Because it sounds like that's exactly what they're going to be doing. Phil Spencer did a candid article today where he explicitly recognized that the Xbox One was sunk by being more expensive, and less powerful than the competition. In Q4 2020 they could comfortably sell a SKU with the power of the X for $299, and then a premium system for $499. Provide both the cheapest level of entry, and also the most powerful console.