• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
So Greg Johnson is the creator of Toejam and Earl and Starflight (big influence on Star Control) and helped with SC1/2. Amusingly, he posted on Stardock's forum saying politely "um, I was there, I did work for them and yes, they did in fact create it."
I'm Greg Johnson. I was there through the entire development of StarControl 1 and 2. I don't want to comment on ownership or trademarks. I've been a game developer for 34 years and questions of ownership and legalities of rights are not always clear, or for that matter fair. Disputes like this are really best settled in friendly ways where everyone can win, since legal battles just suck money and time and create stress and bad feelings. Life is too short for that. What I can and will say is that Paul and Fred created both of those games. It was really the two of them, and others like me and Erol and whomever just contracted and did bits and pieces under Paul's direction. This Universe, Story, Characters and Gameplay all come from the amazing mind of Paul. It's pointless for people on a board to guess what's really going on behind the scenes or to judge who is right or wrong. I wish Paul and Fred and Brad and Stardock a friendly and mutually beneficial, mutually respectful resolution to this. And I'm sorry it's been so stressful for all of you. It's easy to get dug in. Good luck in finding a solution. And to all the fans - best to just hang in there and wait. And don't judge people harshly when you don't really know what's up. Lets all cross our fingers that they will find answers.

In response to this article written in November on SC2's 25th anniversary (which in retrospect looks like an attempt to minimize Fred and Paul's contributions as they gear up for litigation):
https://forums.starcontrol.com/485810/star-control-ii-25th-anniversary---on-the-shoulders-of-giants

This is Greg Johnson, thanks for the nice article! I did indeed help out on Star Control II (And the original Star Control One Melee), and was the designer of StarFlight. It's great to see Star Control II getting appreciated. It was quite an achievement for it's day. One comment I'd like to make is that this is a fine article but it leaves out a couple important things, first is that the genius of the engineering of this game was all Fred Ford, a one-man engineering marvel. We used to joke about how Fred was really an android - he is so amazing. Fred can code and carry on a conversation with you at the same time - no joke - and he never misses a step. Likewise it doesn't give enough clear credit to the creative genius of this entire Universe and all of it's amazing character, content and game play, which comes straight from the fascinating and sometimes rather bizarre mind of Paul Reiche III. Paul and I shared a tiny office in those early days, and then, once Fred joined Paul we were across the hall from each other... and we took long walks everyday in the Novato hills as I listened to Paul coming up with the characters and story of Star Control. It's Paul's delightful humor and crazy story telling that make this game what it is. His warm and playful personality shines through all of it. Paul also mentored me and guided me as I built Starflight, and as I entered the game industry 35 years ago, and then I helped out a bit on his game mostly doing art and a little of the dialogue writing with his direction. Those were really the garage shop days of game making. Oh and I also roomed with Iain McCaig in those days - an amazing talent too, and a great guy. This article says Iain did writing for the game but I don't believe he did - just some concept art. Anyway hats off to both Paul and Fred. Thanks for giving us an amazing and memorable game!

Last edited:

xylo

Oct 27, 2017
It does seem to be focussing on the idea that because the two designers didn't actually produce the directly-protected aspects of the game, they don't have rights to it; instead, they produced the gameplay, which isn't protected.
There is no way this argument can win. The legal president this would set would invalidate any project holdings that are non single party works (ie unless a single person worked on it's not really theirs). You would never ever be able to contract or outsource anything again which obviously isn't viable.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So Greg Johnson is the creator of Toejam and Earl and Starflight (big influence on Star Control) and helped with SC1/2. Amusingly, he posted on Stardock's forum saying politely "um, I was there, I did work for them and yes, they did in fact create it."
Everyone I think pretty much knew most of that, but having it in writing from someone who was there and doesn't have any skin in the game just makes Wardell look like a sociopath. Good to know though which of them was skilled in which part of the creative process, I honestly had no idea!

That article on the 25th anniversary of SC2 does seem like it was written almost as a basis to be used in some kind of legal shenanigans in the future. Basically makes no mention of Reiche or Ford.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Which side to pick... One side are the geniuses behind one of the best games of all time, and the other is an asshole.

Also, I was always weary of Star Control: Origins. The terms "Star Control" and "procedurally generated"should not go together.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I know Stardock are trying to protect what they think it's right, but they and Bradwell are acting like assholes again for I don't know how many times already.

What could be a "normal" IP dispute Bradwell is trying to muddy it and his rivals once again. Also this allegation:

• That Stardock, by virtue of owning the "Star Control" trademark, is due all of the "fame, reputation, and goodwill" directed by fans toward the Star Control games

Is one of the most deluded things I have read in a while, like if you could control who the fans want to support just because.

FoxSpirit

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Remember when Stardock thought they could cash in on Master of Magic love? Turned out so very, very great.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I remember tweeting out to my friends on Twitter (where I have less than 400 followers) not to buy GalCiv 3, which would directly support Stardock and Wardell.

Cue Wardell, who I didn't mention in said tweet, quoting my tweet and opening my mentions to be flooded by legions of scum-sucking gators. It seems on the day of his game's release, he was searching Twitter for any mentions of his game being bashed and sending those gnats he calls "fans" out to harass said people.

Stardock is full of scum, Wardell chief among them. He's happy to participate in targeted harassment by putting a bullseye on a person speaking against him. It's a classic gator tactic that allows you to easily deny responsibility. Just about anything that has to do with this slimy bastard is bound to be vile, with him being completely to blame.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
So Wardell posted this on another forum (QT3) where he's playing the victim. Can anyone with a little more expertise in trademarks tell me if this is like, technically defensible at all (regardless of whether it's ethical, just in legal terms) or is it as ridiculous as it sounds?
Note: I'm not a lawyer.

Stardock owns the trademark to Star Control. That means they own everything associated with Star Control other than what is explicitly exempted.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
uhhhh pretty sure trademark ownership doesn't confer ownership rights on assets - trademark ownership is just about being able to use the trademarked symbol/identifier... and i doubt it applies retroactively... been a while since I did IP law though and I'm not in the right jurisdiction...

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
That's what I always thought. Wardell seems to be saying "actually, this is a common misunderstanding and it gives more legal rights than that." It sure sounds fishy, but not a lawyer.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Wardell Updated the quartertothree forums with some new pics

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/...and-is-planning-an-xcom-like-reboot/73054/655

10f5e9c5b2304df51223f5b316847160b65be49b.jpg

Plus, you get gems likes this from Wardell:

Things should get back to talking about the game soon. Lawsuit stuff moves glacially and none of it effects the development of Star Control: Origins.

Perhaps a separate thread should be created. Put the legal junk in a Ghosts of the Precursor thread since Star Control: Origins isn't even part of lawsuit.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, that's what I meant. English is not my first language, but thanks for correcting me - The only way to learn.
Sorry to pile on, but Star Control 2 used procedural generation to create star systems. It's kind of in the DNA of the game. What does Stardock Control use it for? Haven't really kept up with development on account of it being Stardock.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Sorry to pile on, but Star Control 2 used procedural generation to create star systems. It's kind of in the DNA of the game. What does Stardock Control use it for? Haven't really kept up with development on account of it being Stardock.
If it did, it was just for the resource mining planets and such. I could find my way around very easily on any playthrough because everything was largely in the same part of the galaxy with largely the same stuff (unless there were subtle changed I never noticed.)
I wouldn't say procedural generation was the big thing about Star Control 2. What made the space exploration so good in that game wasn't the procedural stuff, it was that the galaxy felt packed with had-crafted content.

I remember reading a couple of previews implying proceduraly generated content is going be much more prominent in Origins.

Last edited:

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Most planets and star systems in SC2 were procedurally generated, but only once - it didn't change from game to game.

The starmap layout was by hand though.

Last edited:

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Found where I read it - In the Ars Technica article Wardell says:
"We rely on the procedural generation to do 90 percent of the universe creation, and then the last 10 percent is we have tools to craft and design our own planets"
Depending on the size of the universe, 10 percent could be a lot of hand-crafted stuff - But the emphasis on it just doesn't feel like it carries the DNA of the series for me.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Wardell loses this one hard. Was a gigantic asshole even before he exposed himself as a Gater, became an ascended asshole after that, very much one of those "if I don't win, then I'm burning the house down that we're all standing in" types.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty interesting read. Cool to see the behind the scenes stuff of how the games ended up on GOG.
That is a really interesting read! Also kind of weird to see them mention Skylanders back then as an off-the-cuff remark, before it became a multi-million dollar thing.

Definitely sounds like they own everything necessary, and it was Atari that fucked up in selling the rights to Stardock. But also Stardock being shit for saying Paul and Fred had fuck-all to do with development. Nice try, fuckwits.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
So in other news, Stardock has been trying to grab the trademark to Ur-quan Masters and F&P filed for it presumably in response. Oddly, Stardock's legal team didn't sign their application.
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=8...TION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=8...TION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch

Wardell has posted an explanation of why they're doing this on the forums - they just want to protect the community and help them with other open-source projects. It seems like pretty nonsensical PR:
Good question.

So, the concern is the future of the UQM. Our long-term goal is for the UQM community to be set up as an independent, open-source destination for creating stories without interference. If that's for Star Control, great. If it's for Ghosts of the Precursors, that's fine too. What we don't want is a scenario where Star Control is legally blocked by an external trademark source enforcing their rights.

I am here. If Stardock does something bad, there's someone you can yell at.
smiley.gif

My opinion is that open-source modding is the future. I don't mean tomorrow or next year. But in a few years, modding as we know it today will be a much bigger deal. And open-source is the future of that.

We want a destination to release the Star Control III source code (for example). We want to make source code for parts of Star Control: Origins.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen someone burn through so much goodwill so fast with the people who were most likely to buy a game. Well, at least I know to never buy anything Stardock makes for sure now.

Oct 27, 2017
Paul Reiche shuts down all attempted mods for Ur-Quan Masters with his legal authority of his copyright claim. Brad needs to liberate it from the clutches of a tyrant!

Oh wait, no he didn't

http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/List_of_The_Ur-Quan_Masters_Mods
Anyone familiar with the Star Control community, and its modding/remastering attempts knows that the info above from Brad Wardell is a load of crap.
Reiche and Ford have actually spoken fondly about modding attempts, and how appreciative they are that people play their games after all these years.

Nothing new from Brad Wardell, considering what he has done, and said in the past, in any of the multiple questions that come up regarding Stardock and its CEO, be it issues with the treatment of their staff, issues with support for their games, and more.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
I've spent some time in the Star Control community. From what I've seen, most people were neutral to cautiously positive on Stardock. There were some concerns about Wardell's personality, but even so people were generally hopeful that Stardock's project would turn out well (I was). Wardell had the fans' good will and torched it, except for some in SD's inner circle.

Gotta give it to him though - he sure knows how to do PR.

Last edited:

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Stardock was held in pretty high esteem by the PC gaming community. They fell pretty quickly once it was made public their CEO was an assclown. Looks like little has changed.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen someone burn through so much goodwill so fast with the people who were most likely to buy a game.
That's only if you'd not heard of Wardell's pro-GG stance or his "gamer's manifesto" (that Stardock doesn't actually abide). At the start of this I believe Stardock/Wardell had very little (if any) goodwill at all.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So in other news, Stardock has been trying to grab the trademark to Ur-quan Masters and F&P filed for it presumably in response. Oddly, Stardock's legal team didn't sign their application.

Wardell has posted an explanation of why they're doing this on the forums - they just want to protect the community and help them with other open-source projects. It seems like pretty nonsensical PR:

Wardell's posts on QT3 are hilariously disingenuous. Selective replies and acting like he has no control over what the legal team of his company says and does. If you didn't know who he was you'd assume he was just a low-level Stardock employee going by his responses.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Wardell's posts on QT3 are hilariously disingenuous. Selective replies and acting like he has no control over what the legal team of his company says and does. If you didn't know who he was you'd assume he was just a low-level Stardock employee going by his responses.
Wardell really knows how to do the PR tapdance, but after a while it becomes pretty obvious what he's doing.

They say the biggest problem is that Fred and Paul called their game a "sequel to Star Control 2" and used SC2 box art, which creates confusion when they own the trademark. So for the sake of argument, let's say the trademark didn't expire under Atari and set aside the question of whether the "sequel" line it's fair use of the trademark aside (I'm not a lawyer and can't give a certain answer on either of these things). Well, Fred and Paul have in fact removed that phrasing and art from their website.

So if they've already addressed Stardock's primary issue, why is Stardock still infringing their copyright by selling their games if Stardock are the Reasonable and Peaceful Victims? Stardock has also repeatedly told the public that they have an unlimited license to do whatever they want with Fred and Paul's IP if they really wanted to. And then absurdly suggesting they didn't create the games and had only a minor role in their development. If we grant that Fred and Paul overstepped the trademark boundaries at a couple of points, Stardock's copyright violations and dishonest statements of their IP rights are clearly far more flagrant, continuous, and malicious.

Wardell says that the old games aren't actually that big a deal to him. So why are they still up, and why did they insist on taking control of a well-established GOG deal?

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, Brad made a "Q&A" page to answer all the questions about why he is the good guy and Paul and Fred are a bunch of shady characters who want to undermine Star Control

Q: Why did Stardock trademark Ur-Quan Masters?

A: Our actions continue to be in the interest of protecting Star Control and our ability to create and share more Star Control assets to the community in the future (including releasing the source code of Star Control III, which we own, as well as future Star Control Origins and content) without fear that Paul and Fred would claim that we are creating "confusion" by doing so. As background: Stardock always had the common law trademark to Ur-Quan Masters. It's the sub-title to Star Control II after all and was, by Paul and Fred's admission, available in commerce on GOG even before Stardock was involved.

Feb 16, 2018
seems like a problem for the courts

what atari did or didn't have the rights to sell and what stardock actually purchased seems pretty complicated

lawyers often misrepresent the truth in order to win a case. their positions are often unrelated to what the companies actually think. i wouldn't read too much into it

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
But they had basically nothing to do with SC2 at all, as we all know.

Edit: Holy shit, it looks like they even tried their hand at creating their own mods, even down to noting the BBS in-dial numbers!

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
https://www.dogarandkazon.com/blog/2018/3/18/strange-settlement-on-an-alien-planet
New update from Paul and Fred detailing the recent 'settlement' offered by Stardock and the aggressive grab for the rights to aliens and stuff. It's predictably gross.
But earlier this month we received an unfathomable settlement offer from Stardock. Paraphrasing from legalese, it requires…

1. Fred and Paul must surrender all their IP rights to the classic Star Control games to Stardock.
  2. Fred and Paul never again use the words "STAR CONTROL" or "GHOSTS OF THE PRECURSORS" or "THE UR-QUAN MASTERS".
  3. For the next 5 years, Fred and Paul do not work on any game similar to the classic Star Control games.
  4. Fred and Paul issue a public apology to Stardock.
  5. Fred and Paul never again challenge Stardock's rights to STAR CONTROL trademark or STAR CONTROL 3 copyright.
  6. Fred and Paul pay Stardock $225,000.
  7. Fred and Paul never again call themselves the "creators" of the classic Star Control games.
And if their intent wasn't clear enough, Stardock has now also filed for the trademarks:"The Ur-Quan Masters", "Melnorme", "VUX", Pkunk", "Ilwrath", "Chenjesu", "Androsynth", "Spathi", "SUPER-MELEE", "Syreen", "Ur-Quan", "Orz" and "Yehat"./QUOTE]

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to set up a go fund me page for the legal costs -- I'd donate just to annoy Wardell.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't Brad's fault though. It's the lawyers he hired to represent the company he owns, he has no idea what they are doing.