• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
No one mentioned this years State of the Sanderson yet?

www.brandonsanderson.com

State of the Sanderson 2019 | Brandon Sanderson

Introduction Welcome, everyone, to our final State of the Sanderson for the decade! If you’re not familiar with these posts, each December I take a look bac ...

I'll be honest here all, starting to get hard to read year after year "yeah I really wanted/thought/planned to do this one thing, it's happening next year instead, I think, if this other thing doesn't get in the way first."
I mean, yeah Stormlight 4 is coming... in 11 months. Wax and Wayne 4 should be up next finally but OH WAIT STARSIGHT MIGHT HAVE TO COME FIRST. Then the long list of minor/secondary projects we've been hearing about for years that I'm at a point where I do t even want to hear them mentioned again until they are being published.

I am fully aware of his stated need to do "refresher" projects to keep him from getting bored and the writing stake but at some point you have to start wondering if he's just burning too many candles.

Seeing that list at the end and HOLY SHIT :D

Godspeed to him

Spoiler from that Article
WARBREAKER 2!!!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Had to go back and check if I missed something but not a spoiler? He's been saying the same thing about it for years. He literally copy pasted a statement on it from last years SotS.

i guess so since i'm a recent fan

but its also more of a spoiler in relation to this thread here because you cant be too careful :P

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised we're not even halfway through the cosmere. Seems like there's still a lot to tell

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
He seems to have quite a bit on his plate but it doesn't really come across as his being overwhelmed as much as it seems like he's just interested in all the various ways his stories can be made and distributed. So that excitement can end up taking more time than he plans for. That and honestly, so much of his year is touring at his publishers requests and that's just a result of his ever growing popularity.

As much as I would love for him to be able to crank out Cosmere novels twice a year I just can't get frustrated that he's not doing that. He's still putting out tons of material much faster than most authors and I'm enjoying it when it does release so I'm content.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
It is kind of funny how the Stormlight books have almost become these blockages that he has to concentrate on removing for a full year, and once he does, he's free to write all the other stuff that's desperately fighting for a chance to be more than just ideas. Stormlight 4 will probably be the only book he puts out in 2020, but 2021 and 2022 will likely have 2-3 books each. He should be able to finish Skyward, Alcatraz, Mistborn Era 2 and--with a bit of luck--Rithmatist before diving into Stormlight 5. Or he could get all inspired and write something else entirely. I'm an omnivore when it comes to Sanderson so whatever he puts out, I'll be happy.

The one thing I worry about is that the push towards other mediums will mean less books in the future. On the one hand, I'm not going to bitch about a guy taking on new challenges and doing what interests him, but I do quite like them books so I'd like to see his focus stay there.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
No one mentioned this years State of the Sanderson yet?

www.brandonsanderson.com

State of the Sanderson 2019 | Brandon Sanderson

Introduction Welcome, everyone, to our final State of the Sanderson for the decade! If you’re not familiar with these posts, each December I take a look bac ...

I'll be honest here all, starting to get hard to read year after year "yeah I really wanted/thought/planned to do this one thing, it's happening next year instead, I think, if this other thing doesn't get in the way first."
I mean, yeah Stormlight 4 is coming... in 11 months. Wax and Wayne 4 should be up next finally but OH WAIT STARSIGHT MIGHT HAVE TO COME FIRST. Then the long list of minor/secondary projects we've been hearing about for years that I'm at a point where I do t even want to hear them mentioned again until they are being published.

I am fully aware of his stated need to do "refresher" projects to keep him from getting bored and the writing stake but at some point you have to start wondering if he's just burning too many candles.

I think he is juggling too many projects. It's been apparent for a while and now he's openly talking about it in his State of Sanderson post. it's led to situations where it might now be over ten years between the Rithmatist and its sequel and in the mean time he'll have started and finished out a different YA series. I like that he's thinking about it now, to be fair he has been for a while. I'm sure he mentioned in some place or other about finishing out a sideproject series before moving onto the next one or something like that. I definitely would prefer to see him try out some of his story ideas in smaller scale or standalone books.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I think he is juggling too many projects. It's been apparent for a while and now he's openly talking about it in his State of Sanderson post. it's led to situations where it might now be over ten years between the Rithmatist and its sequel and in the mean time he'll have started and finished out a different YA series. I like that he's thinking about it now, to be fair he has been for a while. I'm sure he mentioned in some place or other about finishing out a sideproject series before moving onto the next one or something like that. I definitely would prefer to see him try out some of his story ideas in smaller scale or standalone books.

The Rithmatist is an interesting situation in that he wrote it then got the job to finish out Wheel of Time and by the time he got around to the sequel, it wasn't working. Sanderson is pretty unique, I feel, in that he's super open about when he tries to write something and it just doesn't work so he shelves it. Or when he wants to write something but can't get a handle on it enough to attempt it. A similar thing happened with original version of The Apocalypse Guard as well but that wasn't one where he had other projects in-between. It is (or was) a follow up to The Reckoners that he attempted right after he finished The Reckoners and it just didn't work according to him.

So with some of these series it's less about getting too busy and stuff gets backed up in his writing queue and more that he holds off because he feels it's not where he wants it to be, either in concept/outline form or sometimes even fully written.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
The Rithmatist is an interesting situation in that he wrote it then got the job to finish out Wheel of Time and by the time he got around to the sequel, it wasn't working. Sanderson is pretty unique, I feel, in that he's super open about when he tries to write something and it just doesn't work so he shelves it. Or when he wants to write something but can't get a handle on it enough to attempt it. A similar thing happened with original version of The Apocalypse Guard as well but that wasn't one where he had other projects in-between. It is (or was) a follow up to The Reckoners that he attempted right after he finished The Reckoners and it just didn't work according to him.

So with some of these series it's less about getting too busy and stuff gets backed up in his writing queue and more that he holds off because he feels it's not where he wants it to be, either in concept/outline form or sometimes even fully written.

Oh yeah. Absolutely . There are multiple side projects on his State of Sanderson posts that don't appear to have much progress year to year because he hasn't figured out how to make them work or he feels they don't work. I know Rithmatist was one of those. I'm not sure when he originally wrote it but I thought it was released in the same year he completed WoT. So he was done with his WoT obligations by that point. I do remember he felt he needed to do more research before he felt able to do the book justice. By the time that research was completed he didn't have time to write the book. In some of the earlier state of sandersons it appeared he was due to write it very soon each year. At some point it just slipped down the schedule. And I think that's where the juggling multiple projects often contributes. His reticence to write the sequel is I feel still down to not being able to do the book justice in his mind e.g. him wanting to include an Aztec viewpoint in it. He wants to get it right. Either way the end result is long waits between these books. To his credit if he wrote those now I don't think the same thing happens. It's why I think standalone novellas/short novels are the way to go for his side projects. Not saying it'll be the solution. It just means he's not beholden to finishing out another series he's introduced into the schedule.

As I said, that he's even thinking about it now is a good sign.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Starsight. Kinda meh on it. My only real complaint about Skward was the usual Sanderson world building wasn't there. Then we get a whole book of it and it's just kind of soft balled? The overall plot of the trilogy basically feels like a throw away plot on a 90's episodic sci-fi show and the most interesting alien lifeform is mostly used as a plot convenience. I didn't hate it, was just really let down after coming in expecting for the world to really expand and open up.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
The last part of the state of Sanderson was...sobering. He's got a lot of Cosmere work left to do. But I'm glad he's going to start and knuckle down on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Brandon has basically been live tweeting his progress finishing the first draft of Stormlight 4 this evening. Pretty incredible to see and I'm getting excited even though I have not read a single word of the Stormlight books.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I feel like part fo the reason why I can be so patient with Sanderson is that he's really open about how progress is going and acknowledges when he doesn't get something done he wanted to. And it's not like he isn't releasing stuff every year.

His tweets today have been very good to see too

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like part fo the reason why I can be so patient with Sanderson is that he's really open about how progress is going and acknowledges when he doesn't get something done he wanted to. And it's not like he isn't releasing stuff every year.

His tweets today have been very good to see too
Yeah and I feel like he's much nicer about it then two other authors who shall remain nameless

evilpigking

Oct 25, 2017
My Warbreaker leather bound came today and can confirm, super pretty book. Helps that purple is my favorite color. Purple ink interwoven in the drop caps and first line of each chapter. A good amount of interstitial art (like probably 10ish) full color pages. My only other one is Elantris but they really stepped it up. Ill pick up the Mistborn ones someday. After that I'll need to think because I have all the others in hardback. These are just replacing the MMPB crap copies I have.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and I feel like he's much nicer about it then two other authors who shall remain nameless

not that I'm interested in derailing the thread to any degree, it's worth noting that authors, two in particular who may be different than the ones you aren't naming, are often harassed beyond any rational person's patience. People can't be prodded with barbed sticks for years on end without saying eff it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Overall I thought it was the better book. Not a fan of the ending though.

I thought Brandon was better than that type of cliffhanger
Yeah I'm about half way through and I'm liking Starsight a bit more than Skyward. Less teen drama, more world building and alien race/tech stuff.

I've heard about the book having a cliffhanger and I can see why people might not like this type of writing. We'll see when I get there. One of the strong points about Skyward was how it ended. I was iffy about the book until it really started to pick up in the second half, and then it finished so strongly that I got hooked into the series.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah I'm about half way through and I'm liking Starsight a bit more than Skyward. Less teen drama, more world building and alien race/tech stuff.

I've heard about the book having a cliffhanger and I can see why people might not like this type of writing. We'll see when I get there. One of the strong points about Skyward was how it ended. I was iffy about the book until it really started to pick up in the second half, and then it finished so strongly that I got hooked into the series.
The ending of Skyward was great. It was a cliffhanger of a sort, but it was very clear that the story of THAT book was done.

This one though left way too much unresolved with its cliffhanger.

Oct 25, 2017
About a third of the way (35%) through The Well of Ascension

some thoughts (obvious spoilers)

- I thought for the longest time that the spy was going to be that OreSeur being eaten and replaced by another, separate kandra but the convo and bond that seems to be forming between him and Vin leads me to think I may be on the wrong track

- Can she burn the 11th metal to see the other forms people have taken to find the impostor? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it actually did from the end of the first book but wouldn't it reveal who they've been in the past? And it being totally different people instead of a younger version of the same person reveal who the impostor is?

- I'm not really digging the politics stuff too much. I feel like Elend, rather than being a bit mysterious like he was in the first book, is sort of a dork in this book. He just seems useless and bad and everyone tries to tell him what to do. Kinda don't like how his character has progressed.

I am still really enjoying the book and can't wait to see what happens next and how certain things resolve. There seems to be enough going on in the world where I'm constantly engrossed in the plot and trying to figure out what is going to happen and how things are going to shake down. I did guess the twist of the first book although it really was kinda straightforward.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
About a third of the way (35%) through The Well of Ascension

some thoughts (obvious spoilers)

- I thought for the longest time that the spy was going to be that OreSeur being eaten and replaced by another, separate kandra but the convo and bond that seems to be forming between him and Vin leads me to think I may be on the wrong track

- Can she burn the 11th metal to see the other forms people have taken to find the impostor? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it actually did from the end of the first book but wouldn't it reveal who they've been in the past? And it being totally different people instead of a younger version of the same person reveal who the impostor is?

- I'm not really digging the politics stuff too much. I feel like Elend, rather than being a bit mysterious like he was in the first book, is sort of a dork in this book. He just seems useless and bad and everyone tries to tell him what to do. Kinda don't like how his character has progressed.

I am still really enjoying the book and can't wait to see what happens next and how certain things resolve. There seems to be enough going on in the world where I'm constantly engrossed in the plot and trying to figure out what is going to happen and how things are going to shake down. I did guess the twist of the first book although it really was kinda straightforward.
I really, really look forward to your impressions once you're done.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright now I am 77% of the way through The Well of Ascension. Should be able to finish it this week. This is right at the start of part 5 for anyone wondering.

- I was right about the spy! And I was partially right that she could have burned a metal to figure out who it was. Didn't quite happen how I expected. Still feel like my method might have worked! Find it weird that she hasn't thought about it or mentioned it outside the context of fighting the Lord Ruler in the last book so maybe it is a plot thing that I'm not keen to yet.

- Elend is still a dork and I feel like it is setting up something for him. However this resolves it won't be 100% Vin's doing. It feels like so much of the plot of this book has centered around building Elend Venture up to be some beacon of goodness that he's either going to do something great to solidify that or he's going to turn really hard and wind up being evil.

- Koloss I think are regular people that get fucked up by the mist? Like it changes them and the longer they stay that way the more humanity they lose. Recently changed ones still remember but the bigger they get the less human they become? I feel like that is being heavily implied with the hinting around about them and the mists and all that.

- I also have no idea what to expect from the titular Well as they resolve to set out for Terris and find it. I feel like it will be some piece of information or missing puzzle piece to how the world works and the history behind it rather than some radical physical change.

Last edited:

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Alright now I am 77% of the way through The Well of Ascension. Should be able to finish it this week. This is right at the start of part 5 for anyone wondering.

- I was right about the spy! And I was partially right that she could have burned a metal to figure out who it was. Didn't quite happen how I expected. Still feel like my method might have worked! Find it weird that she hasn't thought about it or mentioned it outside the context of fighting the Lord Ruler in the last book so maybe it is a plot thing that I'm not keen to yet.

I'm pretty sure that Vin spent all of it on Lord Ruler, she doesn't have the metal anymore. But yeah, it probably would have worked.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it.

Oh my god lol

I still have many questions, one of which was answered by reading the prologue of the third book.

I will probably start that for real this weekend sometime. Taking a tiny break and reading Mistborn to read something else in between.

Really enjoying the ride though!

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I finished it.

Oh my god lol

I still have many questions, one of which was answered by reading the prologue of the third book.

I will probably start that for real this weekend sometime. Taking a tiny break and reading Mistborn to read something else in between.

What'd you think of the Elend and Well stuff

brb

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Just finished all of Stormlight Archives and the first Mistborn trilogy! Can't wait to get into more Sanderson Cosmere goodness. I have Warbreaker (which apparently I was supposed to read before WoR...?) and the next Mistborn trilogy on deck but what else if his should I be getting into?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I finished it.

Oh my god lol

The next Mistborn series is even better imo. First book is a fun light read (like it was intended to be) but the 2nd and 3rd....mannnnn.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished all of Stormlight Archives and the first Mistborn trilogy! Can't wait to get into more Sanderson Cosmere goodness. I have Warbreaker (which apparently I was supposed to read before WoR...?) and the next Mistborn trilogy on deck but what else if his should I be getting into?
Most of it really. Arcanum Unbound to start with.

Also try some non Cosmere stuff

Legion
Calamity (fun light books)
Skybound/Starsight (really great action scenes here, kinda YA)
Etc etc

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Warbreaker is a good book to read next, imo. Mistborn Era 2 is also pretty good, and the books are quite short.

I would leave Arcanum Unbonded for after you read all those *and* Elantris.

Oct 25, 2017
What'd you think of the Elend and Well stuff

I really at the last minute figured that Alendi was somehow related to Elend. As in Elend must not be allowed to reach the well. I got super sad for a bit since I had this thought after starting reading for the last time. I thought if after all this Vin is going to be betrayed by Elend it is going to destroy her.

I think Elend's arc is a great piece on how idealism, while well meaning, can go horribly wrong. Finally at the end Vin is like nah I'm the captain now and did what had to be done with Cett and Straff. Sort of like the old adage "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". They always meant to do well, but it always blew up in their face because of the reality of the world they lived in.

I get it though. The mist attacked Elend so she'd keep the power and save him instead of giving it back. The contradictions in all the stuff Sazed and Tindwyl were studying all lead up to the whole thing being some huge bait. In the moment it sort of felt cheap, like a huge copout. But looking back I feel like whatever is pulling the strings is far more integral to the world as a whole and not just some boogeyman.

As for Elend being a mistborn now, I'm not really sure how to take it. I guess being down there and being exposed might have caused him to snap? Or being exposed to whatever was going on down there just caused him to become one when he otherwise wouldn't have? I'm not really sure honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright about 45% of the way through The Hero of Ages

- Spook acting sneaky? I figured he'd tell Sazed and Breeze about what happened but he hasn't. Almost gives me a bad feeling like he's going to do something bad.

- The callback to the ball stuff with Vin/Elend was magical. I definitely had a cheesy grin on my face reading that part. And having them introduced how they were was really fun to read too just picturing it in my head.

- Elend's story arc is literally straddling the line between pure idealism and being a realist. He wants the world to work a certain way but it doesn't, and he's worried about becoming some horrible thing. But he fails to realize Vin won't let him. It's way more compelling than him just being a dork for a lot of book 2.

- Sazed makes me sad. He was one of my favorites and now he's just a downer.

- This Church of the Survivor stuff is crazy to me.

- Basically the answer to all of the magic mystery stuff going on in these books is driving a metal spike into someone. I get it and think it's pretty cool and definitely not quite what I thought was going on with the koloss.

- I love reading the intro stuff before chapters. Just giving lore and background that is obviously being written at a separate time than the main narrative is really cool and I'm glad it continued through these three books.

Overall I am really enjoying things again.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Alright about 45% of the way through The Hero of Ages

- Spook acting sneaky? I figured he'd tell Sazed and Breeze about what happened but he hasn't. Almost gives me a bad feeling like he's going to do something bad.

- The callback to the ball stuff with Vin/Elend was magical. I definitely had a cheesy grin on my face reading that part. And having them introduced how they were was really fun to read too just picturing it in my head.

- Elend's story arc is literally straddling the line between pure idealism and being a realist. He wants the world to work a certain way but it doesn't, and he's worried about becoming some horrible thing. But he fails to realize Vin won't let him. It's way more compelling than him just being a dork for a lot of book 2.

- Sazed makes me sad. He was one of my favorites and now he's just a downer.

- This Church of the Survivor stuff is crazy to me.

- Basically the answer to all of the magic mystery stuff going on in these books is driving a metal spike into someone. I get it and think it's pretty cool and definitely not quite what I thought was going on with the koloss.

- I love reading the intro stuff before chapters. Just giving lore and background that is obviously being written at a separate time than the main narrative is really cool and I'm glad it continued through these three books.

Overall I am really enjoying things again.
Yeah, Koloss physiology doesn't really make sense to me.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I enjoyed Sanderson's previous lecture videos from a fiction writing class, looks like he's posting new ones for this year

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Hero of Ages

I might write up a more complete take later on

I will say the entire trilogy start to finish was very fun and all three books are written in a way where there is always a plot line shrouded in mystery. And when one wraps up another seems to pop up. And they are things I crave to know more about. I had to resist the urge several times to google things to see if I was right about them or not.

The first book I was able to guess the ending (it wasn't very subtle I don't think) and certain other things in the next two I was partially right about but being wrong is still very fun and still leads to a rewarding experience reading.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Finished Hero of Ages

I might write up a more complete take later on

I will say the entire trilogy start to finish was very fun and all three books are written in a way where there is always a plot line shrouded in mystery. And when one wraps up another seems to pop up. And they are things I crave to know more about. I had to resist the urge several times to google things to see if I was right about them or not.

The first book I was able to guess the ending (it wasn't very subtle I don't think) and certain other things in the next two I was partially right about but being wrong is still very fun and still leads to a rewarding experience reading.
Your posts are making me consider re-reading the first 3 mistborns. I absolutely loved them and I always recommend to people to read them first if they're getting into Sanderson because they are the books that really caught me.
But I need to read the Wheel of Time. Maybe I'll read one each time I finish a book to take a break.

Did you catch the earring or did that surprise you? I really enjoyed that twist that the earring was a hemalurgic spike. And the ending also surprised me. Honestly the ending to each Mistborn book really sold me on Sanderson's writing. I love it. My man Sazed!

Oct 25, 2017
I suspected the earring for a while. It was one of those big time out of place things in the whole story. Like almost every turn they make mention of the earring I knew there had to be some purpose behind it. After the Zane stuff in book 2 I was really convinced that her brother talking in her head and the one talking to Zane were one in the same. Just the overall tone and negativity struck me. Then with his death and having a spike in him it convinced me that the earring was something. I think it also got revealed in book 3 that it was silver plated with a bit of bronze in it? It all ties up nicely like so much other stuff.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Screenshot_20200210-185712.jpg

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
18.jpg

HAWT lemme see that cover Brandon
Yea the link was updated on Amazon

Amazon.com: Rhythm of War: Book Four of The Stormlight Archive eBook : Sanderson, Brandon: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: Rhythm of War: Book Four of The Stormlight Archive eBook : Sanderson, Brandon: Kindle Store

I wonder who will grace the cover for this one. 🤔

My bro told me it would heavily feature Szeth so I am thinking him.

I want a cover of him slicing the giant rock beast in half with Nightblood

Though based on that amazon description probably Dalinar

but my bro is silly and I looked on 17th shard, and I think it will feature Venli which would make a lot of sense considering the title

Last edited:

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
NAAAAAIIIISUUUU

18.jpg

HAWT lemme see that cover Brandon

My bro told me it would heavily feature Szeth so I am thinking him.

I want a cover of him slicing the giant rock beast in half with Nightblood

Though based on that amazon description probably Dalinar

No way, man. Rhythm of War? That's Venli (and maybe Eshonai in the flashbacks) 100%

Also, to my understanding, Sanderson doesn't plan on having repeat flashback characters