• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I actually kind of dislike the whole Cosmere thing. I'd prefer each series to be in its own reality instead of some shared universe. Too similar to comic books for my taste. I already feel like I'm missing out on stuff because I havent fully read Mistborn. or Warbreaker.

It's VERY lightly connected at this point. The only relevance they connect on is super behind the scenes type stuff. Like the equivalence of Peter Parker having a Capt America poster in his room or Dick Wolf TV Universe (Law and Order) character crossovers.

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's VERY lightly connected at this point. The only relevance they connect on is super behind the scenes type stuff. Like the equivalence of Peter Parker having a Capt America poster in his room or Dick Wolf TV Universe (Law and Order) character crossovers.

My main worry is that it will grow to be more and more connected over time. Though this is admittedly less likely with novels than comic books.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My belief is that Brandon intends to eventually write novels that will demand significant knowledge of the Cosmere from readers.

However, I don't think he intends to do this with series that have been established as being mostly standalone. So this probably won't happen with say Mistborn or Stormlight, outside of like a short story or spinoff.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
My main worry is that it will grow to be more and more connected over time. Though this is admittedly less likely with novels than comic books.

It will grow to become more connected, certainly, but it's unclear exactly how.

My guess, is that it's most likely going to be connected through character appearances. I think what will end up happening is that rather than going the route of comic books where the same event is split across multiple titles, what we'll see is that each series will take place during a specific overall timeline that results in a culmination of key characters from some of the series all meeting in a general place eventually. But even then, those characters will be quite different through experiences. Should it happen this way, each series should still stand on it's own, not requiring cross-reading but for those that do cross-read there will be more history and context. A greater understanding of how things came to be and what crossover characters have been through. Sort of how you could read The Hobbit, LotR, and The Simirillion separately and they all work singularly but together provide greater depth and context.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
It will grow to become more connected, certainly, but it's unclear exactly how.

My guess, is that it's most likely going to be connected through character appearances. I think what will end up happening is that rather than going the route of comic books where the same event is split across multiple titles, what we'll see is that each series will take place during a specific overall timeline that results in a culmination of key characters from some of the series all meeting in a general place eventually. But even then, those characters will be quite different through experiences. Should it happen this way, each series should still stand on it's own, not requiring cross-reading but for those that do cross-read there will be more history and context. A greater understanding of how things came to be and what crossover characters have been through. Sort of how you could read The Hobbit, LotR, and The Simirillion separately and they all work singularly but together provide greater depth and context.

I feel like that has to be some kind of climactic finale series at some point, which would presumably require reading other series first. Although yeah, I don't think anyone who just wants to read Stormlight should be concerned.

I do remember Brandon saying somewhere that the final Mistborn series would require Cosmere knowledge from other series...

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like that has to be some kind of climactic finale series at some point, which would presumably require reading other series first. Although yeah, I don't think anyone who just wants to read Stormlight should be concerned.

I do remember Brandon saying somewhere that the final Mistborn series would require Cosmere knowledge from other series...

You are correct. The Sci-fi mistborn series is supposed to be big tie everything together. I always got the impression Stormlight is going to set the stage by the end of it for the big cosmere crossover.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I still feel like the final Mistborn series will function just fine on it's own but just have more meaning with more Cosmere knowledge.

You are correct. The Sci-fi mistborn series is supposed to be big tie everything together. I always got the impression Stormlight is going to set the stage by the end of it for the big cosmere crossover.

Stormlight and Dragonsteel I believe.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still feel like the final Mistborn series will function just fine on it's own but just have more meaning with more Cosmere knowledge.

Stormlight and Dragonsteel I believe.

Dragonsteel is definitely going to tie lots of things together, but
its a prequel series. Which is gonna be awesome, but as a prequel it also should require no Cosmere knowledge, probably even less than most.

Edit:rereading the post I'm responding to I'm now of the understanding that you meant it as Dragonsteel will set the stage much like Stormlight does. So... my response doesn't really have a lot of meaning in that light lol.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Dragonsteel is definitely going to tie lots of things together, but
its a prequel series. Which is gonna be awesome, but as a prequel it also should require no Cosmere knowledge, probably even less than most.

Sure. I figure it'll be the equivalent of a Cosmere flashback origin story in terms of when it's released and what it informs.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
That's not what Brandon said though, regardless of how you feel. :P

Although admittedly I don't remember the source now so who knows.

Probably from here:
Q: Are you going to expand on the Cosmere in its own book?
A: Yes, the thing that started it all, Dragonsteel, is going to be about the Costmere a lot more, and the third Mistborn trilogy will be also. I want to make sure that it never comes to the forefront until I am warning people, "Now, you need to know this stuff."

So he sort of says it but it just doesn't feel very definite. Like I feel like it's an answer specifically for the segment of fans that are theorycrafting and connecting the dots from the tiniest specs of hints. Not for general readership.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In the sci-fi Mistborn trilogy they are probably going to be straight up visiting other Cosmere systems so that's to be expected. But at the same time he doesn't really say you will need to read the other books to get it, but just that there will be more Cosmere related things going on.

The second statement doesn't necessarily follow directly from the first one, is what I mean

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Is Mistborn considered sci-fi? Or is there going to be a sci-fi themed Mistborn

Mistborn trilogies take place during different Ages. Original trilogy has Swords and Bows and drawn carts. Wax and Wayne is Steam powered, guns, and first few engines. The third trilogy will presumably be roughly "Modern" and the last trilogy will be sometime in the future, making it roughly Sci Fi (as I doubt Brandon will go Hard Sci Fi).

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is Mistborn considered sci-fi? Or is there going to be a sci-fi themed Mistborn
The Mistborn series was originally planned as three separate trilogies. The original trilogy took place in a pre-industrial setting; the second trilogy would be a modern setting; and the final trilogy would be in a futuristic setting.

Meanwhile Brandon decided to write a spinoff which was supposed to bridge the gap between the first two trilogies, but the spinoff ended up being expanded into a tetralogy, But it's still not considered one of the three "main" trilogies.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Mistborn series was originally planned as three separate trilogies. The original trilogy took place in a pre-industrial setting; the second trilogy would be a modern setting; and the final trilogy would be in a futuristic setting.

Meanwhile Brandon decided to write a spinoff which was supposed to bridge the gap between the first two trilogies, but the spinoff ended up being expanded into a tetralogy, But it's still not considered one of the three "main" trilogies.

I dunno. I mean, it's kinda semantics at this point I guess. Even Brandon has veered from the "Era 1.5" moniker and officially adopted "Era 2" for Wax and Wayne, though last I read he does contend 1.5 would have worked fine if he'd used that consistently from the beginning. I have a feeling in the end the Wax and Wayne books are going to feel very much a part of the main story sequence regardless of whether or not they were originally part of the grand plan. Bands had huge implications for the future development of Scadrial, cosmeric events, and realmatic mechanics. Time will tell.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I dunno. I mean, it's kinda semantics at this point I guess. Even Brandon has veered from the "Era 1.5" moniker and officially adopted "Era 2" for Wax and Wayne, though last I read he does contend 1.5 would have worked fine if he'd used that consistently from the beginning. I have a feeling in the end the Wax and Wayne books are going to feel very much a part of the main story sequence regardless of whether or not they were originally part of the grand plan. Bands had huge implications for the future development of Scadrial, cosmeric events, and realmatic mechanics. Time will tell.
My bad for not being clear, I didn't mean to say that it wasn't important to the overall story. The events of Bands of Mourning make that pretty evident. Rather just that he didn't have it in mind when he was planning the series. AKA it's not like Era 2 has suddenly taken the place of the second trilogy. That's something you might think if you weren't aware of how it came about.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My bad for not being clear, I didn't mean to say that it wasn't important to the overall story. The events of Bands of Mourning make that pretty evident. Rather just that he didn't have it in mind when he was planning the series. AKA it's not like Era 2 has suddenly taken the place of the second trilogy. That's something you might think if you weren't aware of how it came about.

Aaaah ok. Yeah, that's very true. We're still getting both modern day and futuristic trilogies.

The theorycrafting behind the influence of Scadrials magic systems and how that might play out are mind boggling and can't wait to see what he's cooked up for both.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, is it weird that I look forward to the yearly State of the Sanderson post nearly as much as a new book? Really curious to see how his plans for Warbreaker and Elantris sequels are shaping up.

Lirlond

Oct 26, 2017
The combination of cadmium and close to light speed travel using harmonium and steel/iron (to both store speed and weight and push pull the ship) makes for some crazy shenanigans. Especially since we know that time bubbles follow newton's second law.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know what harmonium does?

Edit: Looks like a missed a few Brandon interviews...

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Went back to read the chapter summaries for Words of Radiance and oh boy it's pretty hype after reading Warbreaker huh.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know there was a Cosmere Thread!

Just finished reading Edgedancer and now I'm fully caught up on all Sanderson and ready for Oathbringer (Damn I'm so ready)

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Edgedancer yesterday evening. I'm glad I didn't skip it before starting on Oathbreaker next week.

I understand the annoyance of the Lift's vernacular, but honestly I was able to filter it out after a few chapters. I'm glad we got more info about Nale and his arch. The end of Edgedancer blows away my theory that
Nale would seek out Adolin for murdering Sadeas.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just not finished the final pre-release chapters

of course one of the biggest things I was looking forward to, Jasna's return and arrival at Urithiru, occurs right at the end of Part 1. This morning I was ready to gripe about her abscence through the entire preview, so honestly I should have seen it coming.

Other interesting things happened but not really gonna get deep into any of it till the book is actually out, and probably not til after I've been able to read the entire thing. Which given my schedule is gonna take a while.

Last edited:

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really really want to finish Oathbringer now. The preview chapters did a good job of getting me excited for it.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhh I forgot Oathbringer is coming out in 6 days and still need to read Edgedancer ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Well thank god it's on audible solo.

Also, anyone got a good summary of Words of Radiance lying around? I just need to refresh on everything, it's been a while since I last reread it. Couldn't find anything except the wiki synopsis.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhhhh I forgot Oathbringer is coming out in 6 days and still need to read Edgedancer ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Also, anyone got a good summary of Words of Radiance lying around? I just need to refresh on everything, it's been a while since I last reread it. Couldn't find anything except the wiki synopsis.

It's always a good idea to check Tor for stuff like this directly. They usually have useful stuff like summary blogs and rereads with discussion in the comments.

Here's a refresher.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Been reading the Broken Earth Trilogy while I wait for Oathbringer, hope I can finish it in time :'D

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
NK Jemisin is awesome, really need to finish The Stone Sky...

In Cosmere news, the 17th Shard/Coppermind just launched Arcanum, which is a searchable online Brandon Sanderson archive that collects info from conventions, signings, Q&As, etc. There's over 7700 (!) Word of Brandon entries so far.

http://www.17thshard.com/news/sitenews/arcanum-is-here/
https://wob.coppermind.net

Incredible work. Should be a great resource for people who really want to dive into canon and theory discussion.

Last edited:

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

In Cosmere news, the 17th Shard/Coppermind just launched Arcanum, which is a searchable online Brandon Sanderson archive that collects info from conventions, signings, Q&As, etc. There's over 7700 (!) Word of Brandon entries so far.

Incredible work. Should be a great resource for people who really want to dive into canon and theory discussion.

This is great for those of us that want to dive down the rabbit hole. Glad to see there's a wiki as just being a depository of quotes can make it hard to find what you're looking for or even contextualize what's being said.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

Luckily Edgedancer is quite short. You can easily finish it in one session (like I did).

Sweet. Love stuff like this.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I'm going to spend way too much time on this site...

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Which series is more fantasy based between mistborn and stormlight archives?

They're both Fantasy. Though Stormlight is currently slightly closer to High Fantasy. Mistborn changes Ages, so sword/shield/bows only applies to the first trilogy in the series.

But neither of them are exceptionally High Fantasy. Stormlight just has more of a medieval feel at the moment and will probably keep that throughout the series.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

So far Arcanum seems a lot more robust (in more ways than one) than the old Theoryland website. Glad WoBs have their own site finally.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017

Fuck, I still haven't read Edgedancer either.

And I'd like a Words of Radiance summary as well. I wanted to reread it before getting to Oathbringer but I doubt I'll be able to stop myself from immediately going into Oathbringer.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck, I still haven't read Edgedancer either.

And I'd like a Words of Radiance summary as well. I wanted to reread it before getting to Oathbringer but I doubt I'll be able to stop myself from immediately going into Oathbringer.

Jest's post upthread is a good place to go, it links tor.com's summary of Stormlight Archive so far.

There's also the chapter by chapter summaries at coppermin: Words of Radiance.

Last edited:

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
You're good, Edgedancer is a quick read, it won't take more than a few hours.

I think I'm gonna start with Oathbringer on TOR today, and than continue when the full book comes out.