• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Since I'm seeing new faces in here and we'll probably get more people popping by due to Oathbringer, we should do some introductory posts! Get to know each other a bit.

And if I get some good quotes from folks here, I think it'd be cool to put them in the OP - like book jacket quotes about why you should read Cosmere books but from the community.

1. What was the first Cosmere work you read? Why did you choose to read it?

2. When did you realize/find out that these works share a universe?

3. What's your favorite Cosmere book/story? Favorite character from the Cosmere?

4. Do you have any Cosmere fandom related stories to share (signings, conventions, etc.)?

5. What aspect of the Cosmere do you enjoy the most (e.g. awesome magic systems, worldbuilding and theorizing, etc.)?

I'll post my response to the questions when I get home, want a keyboard for this. :P

So far Arcanum seems a lot more robust (in more ways than one) than the old Theoryland website. Glad WoBs have their own site finally.
Yeah, its really clean/functional and I like it being separate from Wheel of Time stuff (as I have not read any of those books...).

The fact that they're re-transcribing everything is astounding.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ExMachina

Mistborn TFE; I started reading it after Brandon was revealed as the author who would complete the Wheel of Time. I think I read it a few months before The Gathering Storm came out.

I actually found out from this thread itself (at the old forum)! I was just browsing threads and saw "Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere" and I'm like "what the heck is a 'Cosmere'?" Then it hit me.

3. What's your favorite Cosmere book/story? Favorite character from the Cosmere?
Favourite book is Mistborn Secret History; favourite character is TenSoon

4. Do you have any Cosmere fandom related stories to share (signings, conventions, etc.)?
unfortunately no

5. What aspect of the Cosmere do you enjoy the most (e.g. awesome magic systems, worldbuilding and theorizing, etc.)?
I think it's definitely the magic systems and the action sequences that Brandon writes using those tools he has created. Just thrilling stuff. The interconnectedness of it all is something I didn't realize until later but it is very tantalizing as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Mistborn: The Final Empire. I was looking for a new fantasy book and someone in another forum recommended me TFE among others. Got hooked instantly.

I'm not entirely sure anymore but I think I googled something and it directed me to the Cosmere subreddit. I was amazed that everything was kinda connected, so I decided to dive in. No regrets.

Tough choice. Probably Words of Radiance and Dalinar

No. I'm not a big convention guy but I'd love to go to a signing. But I don't think there have been any signings in Germany/Austria yet (apart from the Leipzig and Frankfurt Book Fair).

The worldbuilding and especially the magic systems. The magic systems were actually the reason that I started reading TFE back then and didn't pick one of the other suggestions. Of the magic systems I like the Allomancy the best. On the worldbuilding, Sanderson manages to create such an immersive world in which I can get lost for hours without getting tired of it. Usually I need a break after 1-1.5 hours of reading (especially when I'm reading a book in English since it's not my mother tongue) but when I read Sanderson books I really lose track of time.

Lirlond

Oct 26, 2017
Finally cracked and read the tor preview. Now I just want the book I'm my hands! Agh I can't wait till Thursday

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Way of Kings. I was getting into audiobooks at the time and decided to look for some good epic fantasy. Saw numerous recommendations for WoK and WoR so i bit. Was super confused at first and it was a slog... almost bailed. Glad I didn't.

Was about half way through WoK I went to the wiki to help myself remember the races and places and whatnot.
Found out about the Cosmere and it blew my mind. As soon as I was done Radiance I picked up The Final Empire.

Definitely Words of Radiance. To this day nothing comes close to holding a candle to that book for me... so many awesome moments and characters.
Favorite Character would probably be Dalinar. His arc in WoK was great and he only got better in Radiance, though he had his trip ups. I love how he's always trying to move forward, be better than he was previously, learn from his mistakes and doesn't dwell on the past (much).

Closest I can think of is that by total coincidence my cousin is also a huge cosmere fan! After we found out it gives us both an excuse at family gatherings to go off into the corner and talk about the latest book/novella.

I'll echo the magic systems, Mistborn really nailed that and I can't wait for surgebinding to be more fleshed out. And yeah, the action is great too.
But I think my favorite part - though this has more to do with Sandersons writing - is how good he is at creating memorable, awesome moments.
Dalinar catching the chasmfiends claw. Kaladin jumping into the arena. Vin nuking Kredik Shaw.
And many more. These moments are just so vivid in my memory - even though I was only listening to words describing these events they're just as memorable as any important movie or tv moment, if not more.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Mistborn: The Final Empire, I honestly don't know how I found it, didn't know anybody that read those books, I think it was pure chance

I think it was when I had finished the first Mistborn trilogy and I went to look into other work from Brandon, at this point I was already hooked.

Words of Radiance. But it is honestly hard so many good books. Favorite character is probably Szeth-son-son-Vallano, I just love how the story around him start to unravel

Sadly no

Worldbuilding and the magic systems. I'm a sucker for really thought out stuff like in the Cosmere books.

DanMagz

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished The Well of Ascension and dove right into The Hero of Ages. Should i go on to Era 2 right after that or switch up to The Way of Kings?

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished The Well of Ascension and dove right into The Hero of Ages. Should i go on to Era 2 right after that or switch up to The Way of Kings?
Your call, but the Era 2 books are pretty short, like all three combined are about the same length as Way of Kings. You could knock them off relatively fast.

However...

strictly speaking this isn't the official recommended reading order, but I think it's better to read Mistborn Secret History in between Era 1 and 2. There are spoilery reasons why this isn't recommended, but I don't particularly think the spoiler is a big deal. It overall makes Secret History more enjoyable when Era 1 is absolutely fresh in memory.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

Read era 2 first so the references are fresh. Then dive right into the stormlight archive. You'll have a nice like, 4000 pages to read.

Also Shadows of Self might be the best era 2 book.
Oh boy that ending. God damnit Brandon.

Mistborn. I heard it was good.

Saw it on a forum, and they were talking about how Hoid shows up everywhere.

I think Mistborn. Kelsier is my bro.

I like Brandon's worlds, and he puts nice revelations to keep the books exciting. He is almost like the Call of Duty of writing. You know what you're getting, you know it will be enjoyable, but it isn't anything spectacular. He just has good stories.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thanks for sharing, guys! Lots of readers started with Mistborn TFE, unsurprisingly. I think I'm the only one here whose first Sanderson work was Warbreaker, hehe.

I actually found out from this thread itself (at the old forum)! I was just browsing threads and saw "Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere" and I'm like "what the heck is a 'Cosmere'?" Then it hit me.
I remember you posting in the old thread about finding out about the Cosmere! It's always fun seeing people discover it for the first time. Glad that thread could be of service. :P

The worldbuilding and especially the magic systems. The magic systems were actually the reason that I started reading TFE back then and didn't pick one of the other suggestions. Of the magic systems I like the Allomancy the best. On the worldbuilding, Sanderson manages to create such an immersive world in which I can get lost for hours without getting tired of it. Usually I need a break after 1-1.5 hours of reading (especially when I'm reading a book in English since it's not my mother tongue) but when I read Sanderson books I really lose track of time.
RE: Losting track of time when reading - I totally understand. :P Once the hook gets you, Brandon's such a master of pushing you to want to keep reading.

Out of curiosity, have you read any of German editions of Cosmere books? My friend works on the Chinese translations for Brandon's books and she's always posting interesting tidbits about information that gets revealed/clarified when names or concepts get translated into Mandarin.

Closest I can think of is that by total coincidence my cousin is also a huge cosmere fan! After we found out it gives us both an excuse at family gatherings to go off into the corner and talk about the latest book/novella.
That's awesome, wish I had family or RL friends who are also Sanderson fans. The only chances I've had to talk about Cosmere in-person is... at signings. ^^;

Words of Radiance. But it is honestly hard so many good books. Favorite character is probably Szeth-son-son-Vallano, I just love how the story around him start to unravel.
Oof re: Szeth's story. It's like watching a disaster unfold...
Should be very interesting to see what's in store for him in Oathbringer considering the end of WoR. Wonder how he'll handle Nightblood. O.O

I like Brandon's worlds, and he puts nice revelations to keep the books exciting. He is almost like the Call of Duty of writing. You know what you're getting, you know it will be enjoyable, but it isn't anything spectacular. He just has good stories.
Brandon definitely doesn't have the prettiest prose, but I'm with you that the actual content (stories, world-building, moments, etc.) of his writing it what draws you in. He's the epitome of a craftsman. Between his podcast, teaching, and ridiculous output... you can tell he works really hard and just loves the process of writing.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Warbreaker, since it was available for free online. I found out about Sanderson's books from a thread at the old place talking about fictional magic systems that would make cool games. Of course many posters mentioned Allomancy, which made me look up the Mistborn trilogy (since I'm always on the lookout for more fantasy to read) and that brought me to Brandon's website.​

After finishing The Hero of Ages, I went looking for online Mistborn discussion and ended up at The 17th Shard. Blew my mind and motivated me to read every other Sanderson book I could get my hands on.​

The Emperor's Soul. Tightly plotted, Forging is an incredibly cool concept, and Shai is delightful.

Kaladin. His struggles (including a surprisingly accurate depiction of depression) make his triumphs, which consist of some of the best moments in all of the Cosmere, all the more uplifting.​

In the run-up to WoR's release, I collaborated with a bunch of fan artists/writers on a Stormlight Archive version of Terry Pratchett's "Where's My Cow?" (an illustrated children's book set in the Discworld universe) called "Where's My Chull?" Pratchett was one of Sanderson's favorite authors and inspirations, so we thought this would be a cool gift.

The organizer of the project made a hand-bound physical version and gave it to Brandon during the WoR signing at Chicago. "Where's My Chull?" now has a permanent place on his shelf. :)​

Gotta echo most folks and also say the world-building and memorable moments; so many crazy reveals and badass scenes, both after great buildups. But another aspect of his writing that I want to highlight is how Brandon is willing to stretch himself and write characters/cultures unlike himself/his own, which results in fresh settings compared to a lot of other fantasy. And he always does it with respect and research involving real people of those backgrounds.

When you grow up reading fantasy and most of it is sword-and-board EU-centric stuff, it's amazing to know that your favorite author's magnum opus (The Stormlight Archive) is largely influenced by East Asian culture (Korea, where Brandon did his mission) and media (Shardblades are pretty much giant video game/anime swords that Brandon wanted to make plausible/justified, lmao).​

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Out of curiosity, have you read any of German editions of Cosmere books? My friend works on the Chinese translations for Brandon's books and she's always posting interesting tidbits about information that gets revealed/clarified when names or concepts get translated into Mandarin.

I've only read the first Mistborn trilogy in German. Your friends work sounds super interesting. Can't really share anything interesting about names/concepts though. I'd probably have to re-read the trilogy in English.

In the run-up to WoR's release, I collaborated with a bunch of fan artists/writers on a Stormlight Archive version of Terry Pratchett's "Where's My Cow?" (an illustrated children's book set in the Discworld universe) called "Where's My Chull?" Pratchett was one of Sanderson's favorite authors and inspirations, so we thought this would be a cool gift.

The organizer of the project made a hand-bound physical version and gave it to Brandon during the WoR signing at Chicago. "Where's My Chull?" now has a permanent place on his shelf. :)

Looked it up and found the tumblr post, that's some quite impressive work, and a great story to share. Love the illustrations.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, have you read any of German editions of Cosmere books?

In germany the stormlight archives and mistborn series are split into smaller books which makes them a lot more expensive.
I probably would have tried the german version but decided against because of said reason

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Emperor's Soul. Tightly plotted, Forging is an incredibly cool concept, and Shai is delightful.
I almost put this down instead of Secret History. I do think it is the better book by most measures!

But in the end I had to follow my gut, and MSH was just such a fun and rewarding read for me. :'D

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oathbringer OT is up!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/oathbringer-ot-the-stormlight-archive-book-3.5632/

Let me know if you think any other info should go in the OP or what y'all think of the spoiler policy.

Looked it up and found the tumblr post, that's some quite impressive work, and a great story to share. Love the illustrations.
Thanks! It was a lot of fun and honestly one of my favorite projects ever.

In germany the stormlight archives and mistborn series are split into smaller books which makes them a lot more expensive.
I probably would have tried the german version but decided against because of said reason
Ohh, I remember hearing about how the international editions are often split up... but didn't even think of the pricing difference that would result. That's rough. O.O

I almost put this down instead of Secret History. I do think it is the better book by most measures!

But in the end I had to follow my gut, and MSH was just such a fun and rewarding read for me. :'D
It is indeed a tough choice, hehe. Depending on what criteria I feel like using (as a standalone story? evaluated overall in the context of the Cosmere? etc.) my answer changes all the time. So it's all good; MSH is a fine choice as well. :P

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's really no arguing that technically Emperor's Soul is his best.

But Secret History does so much cool stuff that I don't care, hahah.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone currently run or want to try to get together a Mistborn table-top game? I use to run one of these before I moved, now it's way harder to find people to do it, fun system though.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
In my hype, I drew some SA fanart... not actually Oathbringer related but whatever.

Flashback Dalinar (wild dude who duels high princes into submission and doesn't yet care about dressing properly lol):

dalinar_600zaj5f.png

Flashback Kaladin (squad leader who wears illegal pants, one of the few times I'm allowed to draw him smiling):

kaladin_600wyj95.png

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
In my hype, I drew some SA fanart... not actually Oathbringer related but whatever.

Flashback Dalinar (wild dude who duels high princes into submission and doesn't yet care about dressing properly lol):

dalinar_600zaj5f.png

Flashback Kaladin (squad leader who wears illegal pants, one of the few times I'm allowed to draw him smiling):

kaladin_600wyj95.png

That's some good stuff right there

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA

dalinar_600zaj5f.png

kaladin_600wyj95.png

Nice! I like how they look in your art style. :D

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I've never pre-ordered a Kindle book before. Does anyone know when Amazon unlocks copies for download?

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
zroid Buttchin-n-Bones Riley
Thanks for the kind words. :D I'll probably draw more stuff as I get through Oathbringer... so apologies in advance for more art spam. :P

I've never pre-ordered a Kindle book before. Does anyone know when Amazon unlocks copies for download?
It's per regional storefront - some Resetters in Europe already have their Kindle copies. Should be midnight EST if you bought from the US store, though it's not 100% sure (according to Peter Ahlstrom, Brandon's assistant).

Last edited:

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
I stayed up way too late and read the first 10 chapters

Now that I'm awake again, time to continue the journey

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

Huh, that's interesting.

dalinar_600zaj5f.png

kaladin_600wyj95.png

Awesome

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I caved last week and read all of the preview chapters. In case anyone was wondering, the 32 preview chapters make up 26% of the book, according to Kindle.

I only read a few chapters last night before I had to force myself to quit. I'm so happy this is finally here!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 37 from
Rock's POV
is so nice, a lot of heartwarming stuff so far.

The Way of Kings actually, then I read Warbreaker then Mistborn.

I googled stuff before going on to Mistborn. I don't believe spoilers can ruin a work so I was just going through the wiki.

The Way of Kings. Kaladin for sure, especially Oathbringer Kaladin so far. Edgeedancer was great too because Lift is such a fun char. The Kelsier novella just made me sad for the most part.

Nope, the most exciting thing was getting a signed book I guess?

All of it? I don't think you can appreciate it if you don't like the worldbuilding or chars or are at least a bit interested in the magic system.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

dalinar_600zaj5f.png

kaladin_600wyj95.png

Nice! I always pictured Dalinar as a big man though. And I was just thinking if they made a movie out of these novels, that Dave Bautista would be great for Dalinar.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
A Newbie's Guide to Brandon Sanderson, the Cosmere, and the Stormlight Archive
With the release of Oathbringer, Brandon Sanderson's immensely popular Stormlight Archive series is once again a hot topic of conversation in SFF circles. This is hugely expansive, complex epic fantasy, requiring not only a sizable time commitment—the three released novels (of a planned 10) and bonus novella total a wrist-straining 3,600 pages—but the willingness to absorb and remember dozens of characters, plot lines that span thousands of years, and multiple magic systems, each operating on a level of intricacy that exceeds genre standards.

Nobody would blame you for being intimidated.

I mean, sure, you could read four or five other novels in the time it takes you to read Oathbringer. Still, you'll never shake that nagging feeling that you're missing out on something special.

Well, you're in luck. I've got your back.

Welcome to the Newbie's Guide to Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog...rt-with-brandon-sanderson-stormlight-archive/

Probably not much new information for most here but an interesting read nonetheless.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Those are pretty good ExMachina!
Thanks! :]

Nice! I always pictured Dalinar as a big man though. And I was just thinking if they made a movie out of these novels, that Dave Bautista would be great for Dalinar.
Thank you! I didn't convey it so well in the drawing (can I blame focusing on the jacket? haha), but it's definitely important that Dalinar be built/physically imposing. And Dave Bautista is a *great* fancasting for Dalinar, I'm adding him to my head reference for the character.

A Newbie's Guide to Brandon Sanderson, the Cosmere, and the Stormlight Archive

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog...rt-with-brandon-sanderson-stormlight-archive/

Probably not much new information for most here but an interesting read nonetheless.
Good stuff from Aidan Moher - I'll link to it in the OP. Saw him tweeting about writing 50k words about SA and how that's totallly appropriate considering the subject. :P

Awesome author and a good dude to follow if you're looking for more fantasy to read.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I should have never started re-listening to the stormlight archive audiobooks. Planned to do it just to kill time after I finished my last series and before Oathbringer, but now I'm just wrapping TWOK and it's just too damn engrossing.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Good stuff from Aidan Moher - I'll link to it in the OP. Saw him tweeting about writing 50k words about SA and how that's totallly appropriate considering the subject. :P

Awesome author and a good dude to follow if you're looking for more fantasy to read.

Followed him on Twitter after I found the guide

He's also on Era but I can't remember his username :D

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I was thinking about a Premium Cable show or Movie version of Dalinar myself just last night and in my minds eye I thought Jason Momoa would be perfect.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For those interested, my extensive interview with Sanderson was just published. We discuss Oathbringer, the intersection of religion and fantasy, what it's like to write epic fantasy in 2017, and what's next for the Stormlight Archive.

I also published a newcomer's guide to Brandon Sanderson and the Stormlight Archive, which might be useful in convincing your friends to read the series.

Just going to put this here! Already read the newcomer's guide but I'll check out the interview this evening.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
one quarter through oathbringer now, I think I have covered the preview chapters now?

Damn it is so good already, I don't want this to end

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I'm at 70%. Sanderson books usually get into that ending rush in the last 15-20% of a book, but here it starts at about 60% and it's crazy.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhh it's been nice getting in to a good book again. I've been jonesing since I polished of the Vorkosigan Saga, and Powder Mage was actively painful to read.

There's something about a good, long book that's just different than watching a show or consuming other visual media. I think it's that so much of it's just in your head, you can just... turn off your senses and live in the world.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Bought the Oathbringer ebook. Up to chapter 18. This is the first book I've really gotten into in almost a year. Anti-depressants have destroyed a lot of my interest in my favourite hobbies so it's so great to be able to enjoy this book. Having fun so far. Pattern is still my favourite.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mainly just lurk this thread occasionally, since I'm still very new to the Cosmere, but here we go!

Mistborn: The Final Empire. I read it a bit after finishing The Wheel of Time series, and discovering Sanderson that way

This very thread, though on the other site. I posted in it once, maybe twice, that's it

With the note I've only read the first 3 Mistborn novels to date (working on the 1st Wax and Wayne one now), I'd have to go with The Final Empire. Favorite character is probably TenSoon or perhaps Spook. I expect this to change as I explore the Cosmere

Alas, I do not

Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemallurgy - I love them all! To make not one but 3 brilliant magical systems is an incredible achievement.

Last edited: