• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
443120ae-365c-42cd-b59mcpa.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/com...red_is_getting_sued_by_the_author_of/e743lm3/

4b232c76-dac2-47ba-89l2eo7.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9lfsew/brandon_sanderson_famous_fantasy_writer_is/e7774ks/

I think this is also a little unfair from Brandon because hes probably a little more comfortable financially at the moment

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Cool idea, but idk if CD has the expertise to do the combat justice. The world and rpg elements would be fantastic, but idk if they could land the feel of being a mistborn or a knight radiant. Movement has always been kinda janky feeling, and that wouldn't fly in a world where 360 degree movement is the norm.
Maybe CD could team up with Platinum or something.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I finished the first Mistborn Trilogy a few months ago and I'm ready to keep going. What should I read next? What's the best reading order for the Cosmere books?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the first Mistborn Trilogy a few months ago and I'm ready to keep going. What should I read next? What's the best reading order for the Cosmere books?
I'd read Warbreaker next, then either the next Mistborn books or Stormlight Archive.

The Arcanum Unbound has some really cool novellas too.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I'd read The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive 1) → Warbreaker → Words of Radiance (SA2) → Edgedancer (part of Arcanum Unbounded) → Oathbringer (SA3).

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
My order was Mistborn (era 1) > Elantris > Mistborn (era 2) > Mistborn Secret History > Warbreaker > all novelas and short stories except Edgedancer > Stormlight Archives (with Edgedancer between 2 and 3).

IMO, the only important thing is to read Secret History after Mistborn era 2 and to read Warbreaker before Stormlight.

Last edited:

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
i'd recommend sticking the emperor's soul somewhere in any reading list as well

it's not really connected to anything but it's short(novella length) and I still think it's the best thing he's written

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading Final Empire and this is my first introduction to Brandon's. Is there gonna be some explanation or exposition? Cuz I'm lost right now. What is skaa? What is Luck? Etc. I could understand, but I'm not 100% sure that my assumptions were correct.

Sephiroth503

Oct 26, 2017
I'm reading Final Empire and this is my first introduction to Brandon's. Is there gonna be some explanation or exposition? Cuz I'm lost right now. What is skaa? What is Luck? Etc. I could understand, but I'm not 100% sure that my assumptions were correct.

It gets explained yeah. Stick with it, it's great!

About 1/3rd the way through the first Stormlight Book
Dalinar "flashback" fighting the black smoke monster things
Really enjoying it so far.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
It gets explained yeah. Stick with it, it's great!

About 1/3rd the way through the first Stormlight Book
Dalinar "flashback" fighting the black smoke monster things
Really enjoying it so far.

Thanks, I really wanna read The Stormlight Archive ASAP, but knowing myself I probably won't finish Mistborn Trilogy for the next 3 weeks.

Buying a Kindle for this actually helped me a lot.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Throw in the Warbreaker if you're not that impatient to start with Stormlight, it acts as a soft prequel which should be read first. It isn't required, but it's worth it for the holy shit moment at the end of Words of Radiance and especially Oathbringer.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've been reading through WoK again as I'm trying to reread the whole series now that I've read all the Cosmere stuff and I just wanted to touch on
How fucking great Kaladins inner debate with himself to help Dalinar towards the end of the Book is. How it blends together all the shit he's had to go through in his life, clashing with the ideals instilled upon him as a child and his inherit good nature. Michael Kramer kills it here. His emphasis on certain words, his pacing... just fantastic.

"So I must. So we must.

So you must."

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Throw in the Warbreaker if you're not that impatient to start with Stormlight, it acts as a soft prequel which should be read first. It isn't required, but it's worth it for the holy shit moment at the end of Words of Radiance and especially Oathbringer.

Before way of kings or after? and which version, there's a lot in his website https://brandonsanderson.com/books/warbreaker/warbreaker/warbreaker-rights-and-downloads/. Eric's, Fritz's, Kevin's, David's.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Before way of kings or after? and which version, there's a lot in his website https://brandonsanderson.com/books/warbreaker/warbreaker/warbreaker-rights-and-downloads/. Eric's, Fritz's, Kevin's, David's.

It doesn't matter, but maybe its better to read it before because after you finish Way of Kings, you'll probably want to jump straight into Words of Radiance.
Get whatever version you want, I think the only difference is formatting. I think I read the Tor version.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Way of Kings again because I for some reason didn't finish it before and am halfway through now. Been really enjoying it and love the world building. I just have one question. Does Shallan ever quit being an annoyingly written character? Everyone goes on about her wit and clever tongue in the book, but it drives me up a wall.
Sanderson has done other witty characters that I don't recall bothering me as much. Lightsong was similar, but no one took him seriously. She mostly just takes something someone says literally and other characters find her clever.

Lirlond

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the excerpt, was worried it would be similar to his other YA stuff but I'm actually enjoying it. I think I'll actually pick it up!

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hm haven't been following Skyward since I tend to just keep up with his Cosmere stuff

this one sounds intriguing though

I picked up Way of Kings again because I for some reason didn't finish it before and am halfway through now. Been really enjoying it and love the world building. I just have one question. Does Shallan ever quit being an annoyingly written character? Everyone goes on about her wit and clever tongue in the book, but it drives me up a wall.
Sanderson has done other witty characters that I don't recall bothering me as much. Lightsong was similar, but no one took him seriously. She mostly just takes something someone says literally and other characters find her clever.

Shallan is... interesting. I don't disagree that she can be annoying in Way of Kings. She is developed a lot more in book 2, both in flashback chapters and due to current events. The "wit", you will see, is something she uses as a defence mechanism.

Last edited:

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Done with Final Empire. Loved
Kell vs Inquisitor
, but I felt underwhelmed when it was
Vin vs Lord Ruler

Three more books until Stormlight Archive or should I just jump to warbreaker?

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Done with Final Empire. Loved
Kell vs Inquisitor
, but I felt underwhelmed when it was
Vin vs Lord Ruler

Three more books until Stormlight Archive or should I just jump to warbreaker?

If you liked the first book, chances are you'll like the rest. I'd read the first Mistborn trilogy first and then jump to Warbreaker and then Stormlight. Or you could also read the second set of Mistborn books.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to bought the kindle version on Amazon. I had the epub version and converted it to azw3. But $9 for 3 books are too good to pass.

Edit: I read 1st chapter of Well of Ascension, and then read Warbreaker. I think I'm gonna keep reading Warbreaker then SA and back to Mistborn series

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to bought the kindle version on Amazon. I had the epub version and converted it to azw3. But $9 for 3 books are too good to pass.

Edit: I read 1st chapter of Well of Ascension, and then read Warbreaker. I think I'm gonna keep reading Warbreaker then SA and back to Mistborn series
Good choice, Mistborn is the weakest of the series IMO.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm finally reading Oathbringer.

I just finished Chapter 31, "Broken People". Can anyone explain, who was the mad man Dalinar refers to in the vision? I think it might have been too long since I read Words of Radiance...

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm finally reading Oathbringer.

I just finished Chapter 31, "Broken People". Can anyone explain, who was the mad man Dalinar refers to in the vision? I think it might have been too long since I read Words of Radiance...

Talenelat? He was the Herald who died when the others abandoned there oath and was instead being tortured in damnation. He returns at the end of Way of Kings saying that True Desolation has arrived

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Not Cosmere, but Skyward is pretty good. I started reading sample chapters to see how good his work outside of Cosmere is and I ended up getting the book and finishing it within a day.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Talenelat? He was the Herald who died when the others abandoned there oath and was instead being tortured in damnation. He returns at the end of Way of Kings saying that True Desolation has arrived

Thanks! Do you happen to remember which WoK chapter this was in?

I'm kind of bothered I don't remember... it's been a while since I read WoR, but I reread WoK only a few months ago. :/

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks! Do you happen to remember which WoK chapter this was in?

I'm kind of bothered I don't remember... it's been a while since I read WoR, but I reread WoK only a few months ago. :/

It's that guy they find who is just rambling on about the desolation. He always says the same stuff, and repeats it. He shows up outside a town I think? He is brought to the shattered plains and kept locked up iirc

Shows up first in the epilogue

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hey guys, I always think about posting here and then forget, heh. Last year I read the Reckoners, Alcatraz and Mistborn series, and this yearI made it my mission to read all the Cosmere works. Just last month I finished Oathbringer, the last one on my list :D

Not Cosmere, but Skyward is pretty good. I started reading sample chapters to see how good his work outside of Cosmere is and I ended up getting the book and finishing it within a day.

Yep! I'm at 80%, will probably finish it today. I love how...

By writing the book in Spin's POV, the book kinda blindsides some of the twists, and makes us see the characters by her eyes. I didn't really care much for Ironsides, thinking she was kinda of a petty one dimensional villain... until the twist, and everything made sense.

In hindsight, I should've expected that - it's Brandon - but still.

Oh, and Jorgen is still kind of an asshole for outing Spensa.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just finished Skyward as well and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't even aware of the premise or setting going into it, but it's now my favorite non-Cosmere book from Brandon by far. So happy to see one of my favorite authors taking on a genre I grew up loving and he knocked it out of the park. Starsight can't come soon enough...

Hey guys, I always think about posting here and then forget, heh. Last year I read the Reckoners, Alcatraz and Mistborn series, and this yearI made it my mission to read all the Cosmere works. Just last month I finished Oathbringer, the last one on my list :D
Welcome, friend! :D It ain't the fastest moving thread but we're always happy to see new faces and discussion. Well done on making it through quite a bit of material over the past 2 years, hehe. It's a lot volume-wise but we all know how quickly those pages can fly. :P

And oh man, 80%... Look forward to the Sanderson Avalanche (tm)! Even if we expect it every time, he still somehow always thrills and surprises.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Yep! I'm at 80%, will probably finish it today. I love how...

By writing the book in Spin's POV, the book kinda blindsides some of the twists, and makes us see the characters by her eyes. I didn't really care much for Ironsides, thinking she was kinda of a petty one dimensional villain... until the twist, and everything made sense.

In hindsight, I should've expected that - it's Brandon - but still.

Oh, and Jorgen is still kind of an asshole for outing Spensa.

I think it's actually very predictable with it's character arcs, twists and reveals, but it was still enjoyable. It also has one of the best Sanderson moments.

(near ending spoilers)
"Cythonic hyperdrive: online" So good.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
And oh man, 80%... Look forward to the Sanderson Avalanche (tm)! Even if we expect it every time, he still somehow always thrills and surprises.

Has there ever been a poll on the best avalanche?

Stormlight has had some awesome ones. Every book has had a super satisfying climax.

The one that sticks out the most to me is in Shadows of Self. I was rather bored throughout the book and then BAMMMMMMMMM fucking floored me lol. In fact I think it is the only thing from that book that I remember.

I also remember the Hero of Ages one getting me. That had a great build up over 3 books.
MY BOY SAZEDDDDDDDDDDD, and the earring being a spike was a cool twist right in front of you for 3 books.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think it's actually very predictable with it's character arcs, twists and reveals, but it was still enjoyable. It also has one of the best Sanderson moments.

Hm... maybe it was because I was invested the whole book in Spensa's point of view, but most of the time I was thinking "I know this character probably has their reasons, because it's Sanderson, but man, he did a good job making them hateable, and I don't know if he can redeem them". To tell the truth, at 88%, I'm still not sure I'll like some of the characters as much as I like the allies from other Sanderson books, but I don't think I'm supposed to like them anyway.

Welcome, friend! :D It ain't the fastest moving thread but we're always happy to see new faces and discussion. Well done on making it through quite a bit of material over the past 2 years, hehe. It's a lot volume-wise but we all know how quickly those pages can fly. :P

Oh, yeah, the last few years I kinda lost the habit to read, so I bought a Kindle to try to pick it up again. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with the results, I've read a lot of great books those last two years. And yep, Brandon easily became one of my favorite authors, too, to the point that my reading queue was pretty much a Brandon book and another book for some buffer. Maybe next year I'll challenge myself to read the whole Wheel of Time series.

And yep. I stopped at 88% because yesterday was a busy day and today I had to wake up early, but oh man, that setup.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Skyward. I overall enjoyed it. Written well enough, I only found two or three typos, and the story was fun. The characters were okay, though some of them just seemed stereotypical and similar to other archetypes he has written about before. But with how many characters and plotlines he has been writing for the last however many years, I totally get it.

I guessed that it was something like a prison about 2/3rds of the way through, and I was a bit bummed I didnt get it earlier. Neat idea overall, though I would have liked it more if the coalition of aliens was worried about humanity tapping into the power of the Unknown or whatever, rather than them just being worried about humans being dangerous. Though I suppose that could still be the case.

Speaking of, I thought it was incredibly lame that there was just the massive information dump there at the end. I get that it was necessary, and Sanderson probably would have rather done it another way but maybe it was time constraints or whatever else - at least, I hope it was that and not a conscious designed decision - but it just seemed lazy as hell.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

(near ending spoilers)
"Cythonic hyperdrive: online" So good.
Pretty much my experience. Hyper predictable, but that didn't stop the journey from being fun.

Only thing I didn't see coming was
Morningtide dying, I though she was an interesting character and that she'd stick around a lot longer. Her being the first to die was a huge bummer.
I hope the next 2 books breaking the mold a lot given the reveal at the end, so I'm looking forward to those.
Has there ever been a poll on the best avalanche?

Stormlight has had some awesome ones. Every book has had a super satisfying climax.

The one that sticks out the most to me is in Shadows of Self. I was rather bored throughout the book and then BAMMMMMMMMM fucking floored me lol. In fact I think it is the only thing from that book that I remember.

I also remember the Hero of Ages one getting me. That had a great build up over 3 books.
MY BOY SAZEDDDDDDDDDDD, and the earring being a spike was a cool twist right in front of you for 3 books.
For me it'd have to be a tie between Well of Ascension and Words of Radiance. Well is probably my least liked Cosmere book, but even then that final act is fucking crazy. I think Words might take it though, I remember literally jumping up and down while reading it like a 12 year old, it was so hype I was in disbelief of what I was reading.

Last edited:

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yep, my favorite avalanche is also Words of Radiance. I was waiting for that fight since the end of the first book, and it not only surpassed my expectations, but also everything happening around it made it only crazier. I couldn't believe in what was happening.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, my favorite avalanche is also Words of Radiance. I was waiting for that fight since the end of the first book, and it not only surpassed my expectations, but also everything happening around it made it only crazier. I couldn't believe in what was happening.
Mine is Elantris, just because I found the book just ok until the end. Where as all the other books I thought were at least good before the Avalanche.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading chapter 1 now, and I got confused with the stormlight magic system. English isn't my first language and I'm having problen visualizing this one.

I know there would be explanation like final empire and warbreaker, but allomancy and biochroma were easy to visualize.

I'm trying my best, but I know I'm probably 75% wrong visualizing this magic system :(

Last edited:

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Don't worry, it was the same for me, andaI don't think you're supposed to understand that from the beginning. It becomes way clearer later.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I'm reading chapter 1 now, and I got confused with the stormlight magic system. English isn't my first language and I'm having problen visualizing this one.

I know there would be explanation like final empire and warbreaker, but allomancy and biochroma were easy to visualize.

I'm trying my best, but I know I'm probably 75% wrong visualizing this magic system :(

They suck in stormlight, which is similar to biochroma iirc

It's like if you imagine a dude holding a gem holding stormlight and he takes a deep breathe and all the light travels into his nostrils and the person begins holding the stormlight. The stormlight powers the magic and is used with each action like burning metal however stormlight gradually is lost while breathing.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Stormlight is probably the least "unified" magic system we spend any real time with. Elantris, you draw symbols and stuff happens (as long as you're sufficiently close to the city). Allomancy, you consume X metal, you get Y effect. Biochroma, you take in Breaths, you get powers linked to color and cloth. All pretty straightforward.

Stormlight has a single unifying energy source (Stormlight) but past that there's a ton of weird little details that change depending on a lot of in-universe factors. Plus, the starting example (lashings) are pretty complex.