• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
So I was looking to start a new series this thanksgiving. My brother-in-law just started Malazzan and is loving it, but warned how incredibly complex it can feel jumping in. His enthusiasm for that series intrigued me but also made me think of this thread and maybe diving into something more palatable first.

So I'll probably start with the Mistborn trilogy and go from there. Seems the OP recommends that to start. I've not read a ton of fantasy books but i am looking to change that. Anything to help prep or jus dive in?

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
So I was looking to start a new series this thanksgiving. My brother-in-law just started Malazzan and is loving it, but warned how incredibly complex it can feel jumping in. His enthusiasm for that series intrigued me but also made me think of this thread and maybe diving into something more palatable first.

So I'll probably start with the Mistborn trilogy and go from there. Seems the OP recommends that to start. I've not read a ton of fantasy books but i am looking to change that. Anything to help prep or jus dive in?
From my experience Sanderson books are consistently, heavily endloaded. That is - most of the interesting things tend to happen in the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the book and the rest can be a bit of slog filled with setup, exposition and not that many things actually happening. It can be particularly discouraging when you start new series, having yet no attachment to characters and all the lore, rules of the unfamiliar and weird setting are constantly fed to you.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
From my experience Sanderson books are consistently, heavily endloaded. That is - most of the interesting things tend to happen in the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the book and the rest can be a bit of slog filled with setup, exposition and not that many things actually happening. It can be particularly discouraging when you start new series, having yet no attachment to characters and all the lore, rules of the unfamiliar and weird setting are constantly fed to you.
This is kind of why I like the Stormlight books the most - even the first has some consistently exciting stuff in the first 2/3 of the book, and I'd argue that the best fight in the second happens well before the finale. The third has an Avalanche that basically covers the entire back half of the book, or it felt that way at the time.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
You all who finished Skyward know that it's a sequel to the short story Defending Elysium, available free on Brandon's website right? I couldn't quite tell from the discussion on the last page. I thought Defending Elysium was very good, and Brandon thinks it's maybe his best short fiction, and I think after Skyward might actually be the best time to read it.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Really enjoying Skyward so far, but everyone is setting their jaw again.

Come on Brandon, there are other ways to convey determination.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
This is kind of why I like the Stormlight books the most - even the first has some consistently exciting stuff in the first 2/3 of the book, and I'd argue that the best fight in the second happens well before the finale. The third has an Avalanche that basically covers the entire back half of the book, or it felt that way at the time.
Funny cause the Way of Kings is like the most egregious example of that tendency for me, between Kaladin's slave 'adventures' and Shallan's isolated library lessons the only reasonably interesting things was the high politics and Radiant lore that Dalinar&Adolin brought. Kaladin's storyline at least had fun stuff in store for the endgame, Shallan's not so much. On the other hand, Word of Radiance is so far the only Sanderson book to have escaped that flaw of his for me and as such it's easily my favorite books from him.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally finished Oathbringer last night. It took so long because I decided to wait for the GraphicAudio version to be released this time around, and while the wait sucked, I think it was a good decision overall. GA is getting significantly better at their craft.

I enjoyed the book immensely, but I did get the sense that Sanderson was struggling a bit with all the moving pieces. The novel doesn't have a particularly cohesive plot arch. The climactic ending was wonderfully bombastic, but the book didn't build towards that climax so much as it just happened.

I'm not sure what to make of the extent to which Shallan comes to embody her personas. Is it just a mental/confidence issue, or is it related to her powers as a Radiant? At times, it feels almost like she has multiple personality disorder—but that's clearly not actually the case. I'd be curious to know if real life actors or spies experience anything close to this—I would imagine they don't.

I do really like Shallan as a character, I'm not sure why a lot of people find her annoying. Her plot in book 1 was uninteresting, but it has been better ever since.

I enjoyed the Warbreaker appearances, although it's getting to the point where SA almost feels like a semi-Warbreaker sequel, in terms of showing us what happens to the major characters. I'm curious how the actual Warbreaker sequel is going to work out, given that...

I'll likely have more to say over the next few days, as I mull the book over in my head. I'm a little confused about a couple elements, probably because it's been a while since I read Words of Radiance.

On a separate note, I've spent a considerable amount of time splitting the GraphicAudio releases of Stormlight 1–3, Mistborn 1–4, and Warbreaker into individual chapters. This was a somewhat excruciating process, as GA frustratingly removes all chapter breaks from the stories, but I find the books much more digestible this way. It's easier to skip back to previous chapters to review something, and I can set individual chapters to play to the end before I fall asleep.

If anyone happens to want copies of these, drop me a PM. I'll ask for some kind of proof of purchase—a screenshot will do—so that I know I'm not abetting piracy, but it would be nice if all this work went to more use.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Well, Sanderson did say Warbreaker is kind of a prequel. As for the actual Warbreaker sequel, the latest word of Brandon is that of all announced Cosmere books it is probably the least likely to be written. Which is a shame because it is the one that interests me the most.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Sanderson did say Warbreaker is kind of a prequel. As for the actual Warbreaker sequel, the latest word of Brandon is that of all announced Cosmere books it is probably the least likely to be written. Which is a shame because it is the one that interests me the most.
Do you have a source for that? I searched the most recents words of Brandon but all I can see is that a Warbreaker sequel won't release before Stormlight 5, which was already known

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
One other Stormlight thought: I really feel like the series is missing information on the commonly held myths and legends about the desolations, knights radiants, voidbringers, etc., before all this crazy stuff started happening. Sanderson drops it in bits and pieces, but I don't feel like I have a cohesive understanding at all.

If the myths/legends themselves were themselves incohesive, then it's that much more important to know exactly what those legends did say.

Perhaps it would have been too on-the-nose, but I particularly would have appreciated an interlude chapter "excerpt from a Vorrin child's storybook" or something like that.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
State of the Sanderson 2018
Another year has passed, and Koloss Head Munching Day is upon us again. It's been a fun year, full of me working on interesting side projects, so expect quite the list of updates in this (very long) post. But first, let me give a hearty thank you to the community of readers that continues to put up with my sometimes insane writing process. I realize it results in me having a lot of projects, necessitating posts like this one to keep everyone up to date. For many writers, this might be an overwhelming number of irons in the proverbial fire—but it is exactly what I need to keep me excited about the process, and to keep me from burning out.
https://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2018/

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death without Pizza sounds really fun but I fear that this will be another book that teases something bigger only for nothing to come out of it like Rithmatist .

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ctrl-f
Wax and Wayne

*beats head into wall*

Yep, right now I'm betting we won't see w&w book 4 or alcatraz 6 until 2020 or 2021, depending when we get Stormlight 4.

Well, as long as we get more Sanderson to read, it's fine, I guess. Just wish those two series could finally get an ending. Still more hopeful for those than for Doors of Stone, for example.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's being written either right after or simultaneously with Stormlight 4, which is basically the best you could possibly hope for for a book that isn't Stormlight 4.

I hear where you are coming from - I'm just not used to him repeatedly delaying a title that had such a spectacular hook from the previous installment. First we were looking at 2018 then 2019.... now it's possible out to 2021. That one two punch of Bands and Secret History left me THIRSTY HAHAH.

Make no mistake this is not a "GRRM OWES ME" type post, I'm kinda laughing at myself in how badly I want it versus the delays. If he's not ready to write it I don't actually want him writing it yet. I know we will eventually get it, whereas with other authors I've basically lost hope.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I finished Warbreaker a couple days ago and I have a question.

Who killed the guard in Mercystar's palace and why? That was a major point of Lightsong's investigation in the beginning, but then he dropped it. Did Sanderson forget about that plot point while writing the book? It seemed like it was eventually going to be a major reveal, but it went nowhere.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Mistborn as a film series seems... yikes. Don't get me wrong, I love Mistborn but even the book has some YA trope issues (especially in the second book of the first trilogy) and I can't see Hollywood taking any angle other than Hunger Game Clone with it.

I feel like both IP's are a better fit for TV. Mistborn in a Netflix/Hulu format (allows for faster turn around between seasons and less pressure to generate more seasons than necessary). Stormlight as Premium Cable, as it needs a huge budget and time to breathe (while also allowing Brandon to stay ahead of the show).

Unfortunately Mistborn's probably DoA as the Heroine led YA film genre has passed for studios. Stormlight is daunting so I really can't see anyone being able to do that one justice.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I don't actually like Mistborn that much, but it feels much more movie-adaptable than Stormlight, which is just... too big. For that I actually think that an animated series would be ideal, it'd be wildly expensive to try and do in live action (assuming they don't just ditch a lot of what makes Roshar weird).

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any of the big Cosmere stories doing well as TV or film adaptations, to be quite honest. They're all too big and complicated.

I could see Mistborn working as a GoT level TV show, but that's the kind of budget they would need to pull it off. Stormlight flat-out isn't going to work, IMO.

Edit: Y'know what? Even though I only posted a minute ago... I take this back. I could see Mistborn working as a movie. The first book is basically just a big heist... they can easily adjust the story as needed. I can't see Stormlight Archive working, though.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the biggest issue with a Cosmere adaptation is that you'd really want it all in one medium, so the audience can follow along. There's a reason Marvel and DC didn't really tie in movie and TV continuities.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It took me a year to read Oathbringer but I got through it.

Loved it, especially in the last third of the book when the action picks up. Though once again, the final battle did remind me of an anime scene.

Also, I have to state again that I'm sure glad I read Warbreaker before reading the Stormlight Archive. It seems like that one novel has the most direct crossover with Stormlight.

I might do a reread of the first Mistborn trilogy now because I've forgotten enough of it that Secret History wasn't a good experience when I tried to go through it earlier that year. But then again there's way too much I have to read, not even including Sanderson's own non-cosmere novels he's been pumping out.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Not Cosmere but I finished Skyward last night, and I really liked it. It is by far his best YA novel.

Be aware if you read it, you need to get past part 1. Part 1 isn't bad per se, but it feels like it was written for ten year olds. Part 2 and on are completely different.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Not Cosmere but I finished Skyward last night, and I really liked it. It is by far his best YA novel.

Be aware if you read it, you need to get past part 1. Part 1 isn't bad per se, but it feels like it was written for ten year olds. Part 2 and on are completely different.
Glad to hear that. Started Skyward yesterday and wasn't really feeling it. I would have finished it anyway but knowing that it will get better definitely helps :D

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed, gets a lot better as the story goes on. Very excited for the sequels.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Finished Skyward last week and I liked it more than I thought I would. It can be a bit silly at times but I guess that's intentional.

And to post something Cosmere related

Grady Durden

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I have to state again that I'm sure glad I read Warbreaker before reading the Stormlight Archive. It seems like that one novel has the most direct crossover with Stormlight.

Yes I'm definitely glad that I read Warbreaker. Thank you to all here who recommended it. I actually started with Stormlight 1, then warbreaker, then the next two Stormlight.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Does Warbreaker provide some 'deeper' lore for the series ? And if not, what does ? After finishing Oathbringer I wanted to check up or refresh some things on wiki but quickly became aware, that there was stuff they were explaining in=depth that was not yet covered (at least I don't think I'm so much of a speedreader that I'd miss it) by Sanderson in the books. It's been long months so I can't quite bring up the specifics but I think I saw for example, those cryptic letter fragments from Way of Kings and the characters behind them deciphered.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Does Warbreaker provide some 'deeper' lore for the series ? And if not, what does ? After finishing Oathbringer I wanted to check up or refresh some things on wiki but quickly became aware, that there was stuff they were explaining in=depth that was not yet covered (at least I don't think I'm so much of a speedreader that I'd miss it) by Sanderson in the books. It's been long months so I can't quite bring up the specifics but I think I saw for example, those cryptic letter fragments from Way of Kings and the characters behind them deciphered.
Yes it does. I don't want to say too much more to prevent spoilers

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah.. stay away from wiki's and any fansites. There's a ton of connections that the community have sluethed out through tenuous clues and Q&A's. On the one hand, it's impossible to check those sites and not see spoilers. On the other, a lot of the stuff is so deep in the lore and background that even when you read it, you're not exactly sure what it was exactly you just read/was spoiled on.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US

Yes. Not necessarily about Stormlight, but some of the side characters and a certain black sword.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it does. I don't want to say too much more to prevent spoilers
Yeah.. stay away from wiki's and any fansites. There's a ton of connections that the community have sluethed out through tenuous clues and Q&A's. On the one hand, it's impossible to check those sites and not see spoilers. On the other, a lot of the stuff is so deep in the lore and background that even when you read it, you're not exactly sure what it was exactly you just read/was spoiled on.
Yes. Not necessarily about Stormlight, but some of the side characters and a certain black sword.
That would explain where all that info came from, thanks.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Stormlight Book Four Update #2
Hey, all. Brandon here, back for another update on your book.

January went well, and the outlining process is moving along. I've set the percentage bar perhaps a little higher than it deserves to be, considering that I plan to get the outline for Book Five done as well y the time that hits 100%, but I haven't started it yet. That said, I'm feeling very good at what I've accomplished so far. I've cracked a few tricky problems in the plotting, ones I anticipate being the toughest parts of the outline--which makes me optimistic that I'm further along than the wordcount might indicate.

I did have to stop to do a quick 3.0 revision on Starsight, the sequel to Skyward, which is coming out in November. That's finished as of around 1:00am this morning. I'll be diving back into Stormlight now, though I'm in LA this week doing pitch meetings for Dark One as a television show. (So far so good, but these are very preliminary-type meetings, so don't expect any big announcements anytime soon.)

Plan is to be finished with the outline of Book Four by March 1st. (Tentative title: The Rhythm of War, but I'm not 100% on that yet.) Then I'll dive into the book.

Writing a Stormlight book is not an easy or quick process. To finish on time, I'll need to do 40k words a month every month this year--which is a tall order. (My average is around 30k a month, though, so it's not impossible.) That would have the first draft done by January 1st, then give me six months of grueling revisions to finish the final draft by July, which would allow a Christmastime release. This isn't set in stone, though, and if I don't meet this schedule the book could slip into the beginning of 2021.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/anttqr/stormlight_book_four_update_2/

Christmas 2020 is still so far off 😭

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Recently picked up Words of Radiance again after taking a short break from reading. Just finished Part 2 and I have a question:

Was this mentioned before that Shallan can summon a shardblade? She did not seem surprised that she can do it, so I wasn't sure whether I just forgot this or whether this was an actual revelation to the reader. No need to get into details if more will get revealed later, a simple "Yes" or "No" would suffice! :D

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Recently picked up Words of Radiance again after taking a short break from reading. Just finished Part 2 and I have a question:

Was this mentioned before that Shallan can summon a shardblade? She did not seem surprised that she can do it, so I wasn't sure whether I just forgot this or whether this was an actual revelation to the reader. No need to get into details if more will get revealed later, a simple "Yes" or "No" would suffice! :D

Hard disagree. I know you said "simple yes or no" but... it's not that simple hahah.

If you were to read Way of Kings again you would slap yourself for missing it. In typical Sanderson fashion, it was there all along.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It's been a while, there might have been some foreshadowing, but I don't remember if it was that clear, I didn't want to give more complicated answer.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while, there might have been some foreshadowing, but I don't remember if it was that clear, I didn't want to give more complicated answer.

Yeah it was super clear. It's hard to even even call it foreshadowing.

Early on there's a memory of holding a silvery sword that is impossible sharp, followed by her acknowledgement of having a secret hidden ten heartbeats away about twenty to thirty pages later. Closer to the end of the book she almost summons - she actually starts to summon it and the text again cites ten heartbeats. It never outright uses the word shardblade but it might as well. It foreshadows her eventual summoning but it's clear she has one. For what it's worth, the last of these is the one that landed with me. I completely missed the first two until my second reading.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Oh snap son I had no idea this thread was here. Just found Sanderson and all his works and just finished reading every bit of Cosmere related stories I could get my hands on last year. Loving it so far. Favorite is likely Warbreaker because it all comes together beautifully.

Near the end of Way of Kings she does mention she would only need ten seconds so it is implied in the book before.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 60% through The Way of Kings right now and I am absolutely loving it, but probably the most frustrating aspect of reading this book as been the back and forth thinking of Kaladin in his flashback chapters. I'm going to be a warrior, no a surgeon, no wait a warrior, no fuck this I'm going to be a smartass surgeon, nope wait I CAN actually kill people if i had to Soldier it is!

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 60% through The Way of Kings right now and I am absolutely loving it, but probably the most frustrating aspect of reading this book as been the back and forth thinking of Kaladin in his flashback chapters. I'm going to be a warrior, no a surgeon, no wait a warrior, no fuck this I'm going to be a smartass surgeon, nope wait I CAN actually kill people if i had to Soldier it is!

Can understand the frustration, but I suspect you'll appreciate the payoff of all this when you're done with the book. :)

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished The Way of Kings. Loved every second of it. Didn't expect the last 20% of the book to just go full blown and just give answers and shocks after answers and shocks.

Now looking at a lot of reactions and seeing podcasts and stuff just about The Way of Kings, I'm shocked so many people seemed to actually hate the Shallan/Jasnah chapters. Most of this book I preferred her chapters over Kaladin's, except where Kabsal was more present, wasn't a fan of his character. Then later on when we got to know the bridgemen more and learned more about the world through them my preference in chapters change, but I'm still shocked so many people seemed to dislike the Shallan chapters.