• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I know I shouldn't be asking this, but I'm early into Words of Radiance now and is
Jasnah really dead?
I really hope not. Part of me thinks it's a red herring, but...

Amyhow, my love for Stormlight keeps growing. What a great series so far.
I ain't answering that bro, get real! :P

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Tor.com's Oathbringer reread started today. Beginning with the Prologue (who would have thought): https://www.tor.com/2018/02/01/oathbringer-reread-prologue/

For those that don't know what the Tor rereads are
In the Oathbringer reread, as in other Tor.com rereads, we'll be going over each chapter in-depth and discussing all sorts of things you might have missed on your initial readthrough (because you devoured it instead of savoring every bite, didn't you? Or is that just us?), and then opening up a discussion in the comments for you to join in on the conversation!
https://www.tor.com/2018/01/25/introducing-the-oathbringer-reread/

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did a reread for Tor.com once. It was exhausting. I can't even imagine doing one for Oathbringer (which is probably 3x longer than the book I covered.)

Hey cool man, I was going to ask which one but figured if you wanted to share you would have.

Even as a reader I've only stuck with two myself, both also for long books (Kingkiller). Can't imagine actually writing one.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey cool man, I was going to ask which one but figured if you wanted to share you would have.

Even as a reader I've only stuck with two myself, both also for long books (Kingkiller). Can't imagine actually writing one.

Didn't want to get too self-promotion-y, so I didn't link to it. But, if you're curious, it was the Elfstones of Shannara reread in 2015. My biggest mistake was setting a weekly schedule...

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shallan has a shardblade? Whaaaaaaat

Goddamn I love this series. Blasted my nips off.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
White Sand Vol. 2 is out today!

http://a.co/fnRUXAJ

And The Way of Kings: Escape the Shattered Plains VR Experience is going to be released on March 2. (thanks to Jag for sharing in the OB thread)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/773770/The_Way_of_Kings_Escape_the_Shattered_Plains/

io9 Preview, minor WoK spoilers sorta -> https://io9.gizmodo.com/we-entered-the-world-of-brandon-sanderson-s-stormlight-1823088971

Anyone with a Vive gonna check it out?

Probably should have posted it here.

From Steam:
Bridge four!!!!!!!!
Escape the Shattered Plains is a short interactive narrative adaptation of Brandon Sanderson's best selling fantasy novel The Way of Kings. You experience the eastern coast of Roshar, where the land is savaged by highstorms, eroding away the earth and leaving rough stone formations. Almost all forms of life have a type of shell for protection but you are not as lucky. Kaladin's fate is your own as you you step onto the shattered plains and...

• Experience the fury of a high storm!

• Harness the power of stormlight!

• Explore Roshar's chasms and walk among indigenous flora and fauna!

• Learn Surgebinding skills!

• Work with spren to climb the chasm!

• Battle the brave and powerful Parshendi!

• Fight the Chasmfiend, a powerful greatshell, native to the Shattered Plains!

Throughout the experience, Syl — a playful, fairy-like spren — will be there to guide and assist you in understanding your new powers as you explore your surroundings.
In the the spirit of the ancient oaths;

Life before death,
Strength before weakness,
Journey before destination.

Welcome to The Way of Kings, Escape the Shattered Plains!

It sounds great, but the graphics look like Wheel of Time circa 1999.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Stayed up way too late last night finishing Oathbringer. But i was just before the
Battle at Thaylen
and couldn't put it down.

Very pleased about
Queen Jasnah! Though I do find it a bit weird Dalinar would put a Knight Radiant on the throne, when he himself gave up the throne to lead the Knights
Also intrigued about
Szeth swearing his oath to Dalinar
. I look forward to seeing those play out in Stormlight 4.

I think I just have Warbreaker now, and I'll be fully caught up on Cosmere. After months of reading it almost exclusively, it will be hard to switch to something else

Last edited:

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
by the way the Arcanum Unbounced mmpb finally came out! It's a pretty nice book, matte cover with an embossed title.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Woo! Thanks for the spotlight SweetNicole !

For anyone new to the Cosmere and curious about what it offers...
  • Awesome magic systems that result in the most epic fight scenes.
  • Plot buildup leading into incredible twists and payoffs.
  • Diverse settings and characters (major and minor characters of color everywhere, neurodivergent POVs, etc).
  • Epic fantasy with a predictable, transparent release schedule - Brandon is one of the hardest working, consistent authors around.
I recommend people start with Emperor's Soul (standalone novella) or the Mistborn Trilogy. The novel Warbreaker is also a good option as it's free.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Woo! Thanks for the spotlight SweetNicole !

For anyone new to the Cosmere and curious about what it offers...
  • Awesome magic systems that result in the most epic fight scenes.
  • Plot buildup leading into incredible twists and payoffs.
  • Diverse settings and characters (major and minor characters of color everywhere, neurodivergent POVs, etc).
  • Epic fantasy with a predictable, transparent release schedule - Brandon is one of the hardest working, consistent authors around.
I recommend people start with Emperor's Soul (standalone novella) or the Mistborn Trilogy. The novel Warbreaker is also a good option as it's free.
Here is the link to read Warbreaker: https://brandonsanderson.com/books/warbreaker/warbreaker/warbreaker-rights-and-downloads/#versions

Scroll to near the bottom for various versions including an ebook file and the PDF of the hardcover first edition

Last edited:

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Are there cosmere books that should be read before Oathbringer? (Besides the first two Stormlight novels and Edgedancer of course). I mean in the same way that people say to read Warbringer before Words of Radiance.

I've read enough of Way of Kings to know that I like it and want to finish it but I want to read all 3 Stormlight books in a row and I've seen enough people say "read Warbringer before Words of Radiance" so I put down Way of Kings and I'm reading Warbringer right now. Just wondering if there is anything else I should read before I get to the mainline Stormlight books.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are there cosmere books that should be read before Oathbringer? (Besides the first two Stormlight novels and Edgedancer of course). I mean in the same way that people say to read Warbringer before Words of Radiance.

I've read enough of Way of Kings to know that I like it and want to finish it but I want to read all 3 Stormlight books in a row and I've seen enough people say "read Warbringer before Words of Radiance" so I put down Way of Kings and I'm reading Warbringer right now. Just wondering if there is anything else I should read before I get to the mainline Stormlight books.
Nope you're good. Warbreaker is the only one that I would really recommend. Of course you might miss a few subtle nods or easter eggs but it's nothing to concern yourself with.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks! I've read almost all the cosmere stuff except the most recent, heh. Finished part one of Oathbringer and need to get back to it, and I never finished the stories in Arcanum Unbounded, but otherwise I think all I've missed is White Sand.

Honestly, the thing that's pretty neat about the cosmere is that you don't *really* need to read all the books to keep from feeling lost like you would if, say, you skipped a bunch of MCU movies. The thing I like about the cosmere is that while it *is* a shared universe, all the stories are very good at being self contained. Honestly, I wouldn't even say "you need to read Warbringer before Words of Radiance", I would just say that if you did you'd catch some pretty neat references. There's no wrong way to read the cosmere except for like, starting at the end of a series and working your way back. You can easily just read the Stormlight Archive and call it a day, but if you go to the other books, you'll start going "oh hey, I recognize that name".

Gerhalt

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a copy of Oathbringer that I am ready to start anytime now but am unsure of what I should read first before I start it. I have read the previous two novels and nothing else in the universe so far. Is it just Edgedancer that I should read first before I start Oathbringer?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading the first Mistborn book for a while, but I've been getting distracted by other things. Didn't realize it was part of an entire multiverse. Neat!

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Took a Sanderson break after finishing Oathbringer (except the Oathbringer reread on Tor.com). The only Cosmere stories I haven't read yet are the White Sand graphic novels so I'll probably start reading that once I have finished Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.

That Cosmere release schedule though: The Lost Metal fall 2019, Stormlight Archive 4 fall 2020 -.- But I'm looking forward to Skyward (new non-Cosmere series).

So I have a copy of Oathbringer that I am ready to start anytime now but am unsure of what I should read first before I start it. I have read the previous two novels and nothing else in the universe so far. Is it just Edgedancer that I should read first before I start Oathbringer?
I'd definitely suggest Edgedancer, it's a short and fun novel. Maybe Warbreaker as well but while I enjoyed it some other people didn't like it that much (it's usually suggested that you read it before Words of Radiance). If you decide to read both, read Warbreaker first and then Edgedancer.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Cosmere release schedule though: The Lost Metal fall 2019, Stormlight Archive 4 fall 2020 -.- But I'm looking forward to Skyward (new non-Cosmere series).

This is Brandon Sanderson, I refuse to believe he won't touch the cosmere for over a year. We will get at least a short story or three would be my guess.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Cool that this thread got the spotlight!

I actually started reading the Warbreaker paperback last week as my entry point into the series and Sanderson as a whole and I'm really, really enjoying it. Fun stuff. Feels like a novelized and fleshed out version of In the Court of the Crimson King in some aspects, and I really dig that.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This is Brandon Sanderson, I refuse to believe he won't touch the cosmere for over a year. We will get at least a short story or three would be my guess.
Probably, yeah. And short stories are nice and all but I need the sequels to my favorite series :p

At least that's more than enough time to reread all Mistborn and SA books.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The downside of enjoying an author that has so many ideas bouncing around in their head at once. Though I'll take having new IPs, short stories, and back and forth between series sequels over having to wait years between sequels of one series because the author works at a slower pace.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Eh, I am skeptical that he makes 2020. I am bettering on 2021.

Hopefully The Lost Metal is better than the other books in the second Mistborn trilogy. That series has been such a disappointment.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I am skeptical that he makes 2020. I am bettering on 2021.

Hopefully The Lost Metal is better than the other books in the second Mistborn trilogy. That series has been such a disappointment.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I'm not a fan of some of the humor, but I have been all in on Wax and Wayne. It's a little silly, but some of the revelations are fantastic, and I am super super pumped to see more of Scadrial and ultimately how they get ftl travel. It also seems like most of the major worldhoppers are from Scadrial (since isn't it pretty early on in the cosmetics timeline?)

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I'm not a fan of some of the humor, but I have been all in on Wax and Wayne. It's a little silly, but some of the revelations are fantastic, and I am super super pumped to see more of Scadrial and ultimately how they get ftl travel. It also seems like most of the major worldhoppers are from Scadrial (since isn't it pretty early on in the cosmetics timeline?)
I didn't love Alloy of Law, mostly because I felt it didn't give itself enough time to develop its characters properly and flesh out the story, but I was all about Shadows and Bands. Fantastic additions to the Mistborn series and the Cosmere as a whole...

...especially with Bands

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Wax and Wayne era Mistborn is my favorite of all his series. I enjoy the creativity and limitations placed on the magic system.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

What did you think of warbreaker? I found the humor to be on par with the second mistborn trilogy, Lightsong perhaps being even funnier than Wayne.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What did you think of warbreaker? I found the humor to be on par with the second mistborn trilogy, Lightsong perhaps being even funnier than Wayne.

I really love Warbreaker. I think Lightsong is a great balance between Brandon's normal "funny" characters and being more of an ass. I need to do a reread, see if knowing his origin changes that at all. Plus, I found the overarching plot to be fairly clever.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
So, for those of you who have read all Stormlight books, what's the point of
Shalladin?

Nothing ever comes of it and I feel like my time was wasted for no reason.

I think Sanderson has amazing endings, with climactic battles and such. I teared up so many times. Very impressive.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Shalladin?

Haven't really figured that one out yet. I guess we'll know more in the next book?

But I must say that I prefer
Adolin + Shallan over Kaladin + Shallan

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Shalladin?

I think Sanderson has amazing endings, with climactic battles and such. I teared up so many times. Very impressive.
Haven't really figured that one out yet. I guess we'll know more in the next book?

I agree. I also think he did it to provide some tension between those characters.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

I really like
Adolin but I can't identify with him. Kaladin gets depressed, can be petty and snap, is of normal social status and has dark eyes. I'm in love with Shallan so I wanted her to end up with the guy I identify more with. Why did you prefer Shadolin? Do you identify more with Adolin or is it for plot reasons?

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I agree. I also think he did it to provide some tension between those characters.
Feels like it. But it'll be interesting to see if it's actually a build-up to something huge Sanderson is planning.
I really like
Adolin but I can't identify with him. Kaladin gets depressed, can be petty and snap, is of normal social status and has dark eyes. I'm in love with Shallan so I wanted her to end up with the guy I identify more with. Why did you prefer Shadolin? Do you identify more with Adolin or is it for plot reasons?
For me Kaladin doesn't appear to be someone who's fit for a relationship. He puts his duty (protecting people and is devoted to Dalinar) over everything and it doesn't feel like he really wants someone in his life. I see him more like a kind of lone wolf type who has a pack (Bridge 4) but prefers to do stuff on his own/in his own way. Though he's more happy when he's with Shallan (even if he doesn't want to acknowledge it).

Adolin is the oldest son and successor to Dalinar, it's expected of him to find a wife (and Jasnah sends Shallan). He has courted a lot of women before he met Shallan but always abandoned the relationship once it got too serious. With Shallan it feels like he matured and found the person he wants to spend the rest of his life with.

Does this make sense? I'd be ok with Shallan ending up with Kaladin but I just think that Adolin and Shallan are a better match. It's not that I identify more with Adolin but Dalinar is my favorite character, so I hope that his son gets the girl?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Feels like it. But it'll be interesting to see if it's actually a build-up to something huge Sanderson is planning.

For me Kaladin doesn't appear to be someone who's fit for a relationship. He puts his duty (protecting people and is devoted to Dalinar) over everything and it doesn't feel like he really wants someone in his life. I see him more like a kind of lone wolf type who has a pack (Bridge 4) but prefers to do stuff on his own/in his own way. Though he's more happy when he's with Shallan (even if he doesn't want to acknowledge it).

Adolin is the oldest son and successor to Dalinar, it's expected of him to find a wife (and Jasnah sends Shallan). He has courted a lot of women before he met Shallan but always abandoned the relationship once it got too serious. With Shallan it feels like he matured and found the person he wants to spend the rest of his life with.

Does this make sense? I'd be ok with Shallan ending up with Kaladin but I just think that Adolin and Shallan are a better match. It's not that I identify more with Adolin but Dalinar is my favorite character, so I hope that his son gets the girl?

I understand. It does make sense.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shalladin?

I dunno if there will be story reasons for this subplot down the line but I think Brandon's intent was to develop Kaladin through this relationship in Words of Radiance, and in Oathbringer it was an important part of Shallan learning to resolve the different aspects of her character. Even though she has learned to deal with these conflicting feelings by the end of Oathbringer, it may not ever go away while Veil's persona exists. So it might come up again in a later novel but I kinda hope it doesn't. Better to move on.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Currently on my first read through of Words of Radiance. Just finished Part 2. Holy smokes, things are starting to go down. This is way better paced than Way of Kings.

Shallan's witty/clever dialogue is still horrible, though. Good to see some things haven't changed.