• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
^ That should go in spoiler

Secret History was ment to clear it up after BoM. BoM revelation has a bigger impact when you don't know the surprise.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
confusion during bands about kelsier and his travels, as well as the lord ruler and his travels. secret history cleared it all up

So basically the mystery that Bands introduces which is supposed to be a mystery until the end and is followed up on to explain in detail in Secret History ... was a mystery.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, Secret History is a story that's specifically written to be a reveal to aspects of Bands. So reading Secret History before Bands doesn't have the same effect as reading it in the correct order.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So basically the mystery that Bands introduces which is supposed to be a mystery until the end and is followed up on to explain in detail in Secret History ... was a mystery.
yeah but i had already been trained by stormlight to assume anything i dont understand was explained in a book i hadnt read yet

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, has anyone else listened to "Kaladin" by The Black Piper? Bought it today cause I needed some new jogging music and I gotta say, I'm digging it pretty hard so far. It's really well done, feels like a movie soundtrack.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, has anyone else listened to "Kaladin" by The Black Piper? Bought it today cause I needed some new jogging music and I gotta say, I'm digging it pretty hard so far. It's really well done, feels like a movie soundtrack.
I didn't know it was done! I remember hearing some samples back when it was still on kickstarter, I think (?)

seemed pretty cool at the time

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
[x] Mistborn: The Final Empire
[x] The Well of Ascension
[x] The Hero of Ages <--- just finished and it was sooooo good.

[ ] The Alloy of Law
[ ] Shadows of Self
[ ] The Bands of Mourning

[x] The Way of Kings
[x] Words of Radiance
[ ] Oathbringer

[ ] Elantris
[ ] The Hope of Elantris

I think I'm going to finish The Stormlight Archive series with Oathbringer first, then read Elantris, then come back to the second half of the Mistborn. Holy crap Sanderson might be edging out Robin Hobb as my favorite fantasy writer.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
[x] Mistborn: The Final Empire
[x] The Well of Ascension
[x] The Hero of Ages <--- just finished and it was sooooo good.

[ ] The Alloy of Law
[ ] Shadows of Self
[ ] The Bands of Mourning

[x] The Way of Kings
[x] Words of Radiance
[ ] Oathbringer

[ ] Elantris
[ ] The Hope of Elantris

I think I'm going to finish The Stormlight Archive series with Oathbringer first, then read Elantris, then come back to the second half of the Mistborn. Holy crap Sanderson might be edging out Robin Hobb as my favorite fantasy writer.
Where's Warbreaker???

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Almost done my cosmere journey. Have read everything except Bands and Arcanum Unbounded.

Had a question for ya'll, though it might be hard to answer: Right now I'm debating between the audiobook version and normal, hardcover version of Arcanum. On one hand, I listened to the rest of the cosmere stuff in audiobook form, and would prefer it due to jogging/walking/biking a lot, but since I know Arcanum has illustrations and stuff I don't want to miss out. My question is - are the illustrations worth it enough to go out of my way to pick the version that would be trickier for me to read, or can I just pull them all up on a wiki somewhere after with little lost?

Matthaeus

Feb 24, 2018
Almost done my cosmere journey. Have read everything except Bands and Arcanum Unbounded.

Had a question for ya'll, though it might be hard to answer: Right now I'm debating between the audiobook version and normal, hardcover version of Arcanum. On one hand, I listened to the rest of the cosmere stuff in audiobook form, and would prefer it due to jogging/walking/biking a lot, but since I know Arcanum has illustrations and stuff I don't want to miss out. My question is - are the illustrations worth it enough to go out of my way to pick the version that would be trickier for me to read, or can I just pull them all up on a wiki somewhere after with little lost?
It looks like all of the artwork in Arcanum is on Brandon Sanderson's website so go for the audiobook if that is your preference. The only thing that you are really missing is the black and white preview chapter of the White Sand comic but if you were interested in that you would probably want to buy the book anyway.

Juup

Oct 27, 2017
Newcomer to Sanderson here, with a question for you. I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and I found some things impressive, other things a bit dull. So I'm a bit on the fence whether I should read more of Sanderson. I'll just leave my impressions and hope you can give me some advice :)

What I liked is how well-thought out and spectacular some of the revelations were, like the end of Well of Ascension and most lore stuff from Hero of Ages. Everything seems like it was planned out very well, and there are no obvious ret-cons of the first book due to added stuff in the later books or blatant plot holes generally (not that I thought off, anyway ;)). That is impressive.

I'm a bit mixed about the action scenes. They are fine when there is something at stake, but action scenes just for the sake of it do not keep me interested at all (e.g. 'sparring sessions' with 'the Watcher' or whatever he was called). The action isn't really a selling point for me.

The weakest part are probably the characters. I did not really care for any of the non-pov ones and was kind of glad
most of the original thieving crew got killed off. I found them completely uninteresting.
The first and second book are a bit long-winded too and take too long to move certain arcs forward (for example, there are way too many words dedicated to 'Elend is insecure' is WoA). Due to these things, I wasn't really engrossed in the world as much as I'd liked to be.

All in all, I would say the first book is just ok, not remarkable in any way; the second is better, a bit long-winded but with a spectacular ending and the third is pretty good.

My question then is this: how does Sandersons other work compare to Mistborn, style wise? Given my likes and dislikes, would you recommend reading on? Or would I just have the same complaints?

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd recommend checking out the Stormlight Archives books - I find them to be better than Mistborn in almost every way. And I enjoyed Mistborn.

They're significantly longer (each is basically longer than the entire original Mistborn trilogy), but worth it

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would agree with most of what you said - I read the mistborn trilogy after WoR, and had I not read that first I might have dropped the cosmere altogether.

The books do a lot of stuff right (most of what you mentioned) but I found they dragged far too much for my liking. They were 30 hour books that could have been 10. Many characters and plot points really didn't have much of an impact on me - I had a moment recently where I was struggling to remember what the hell happened in Well of Ascension outside of the final act, and actually had to wiki it to remember
The whole Zane subplot. Ugh
With that said, the OG mistborn trilogy is easily at the bottom of my cosmere tier list right now (except maybe HoA). That is to say, I think pretty much everything else (including Elantris, which I just finished) is far better and more memorable.

So yeah, I would go with Way of Kings like above, or if you don't have that time investment/want something a bit faster paced then Warbreaker or Alloy of Law - I enjoyed those 3 far more.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tying in to what 1000 needles and Avis said - go ahead and read Way of Kings. IF you like it, stop with Stormlight, read Warbreaker, then go back to Stormlight with Words of Radiance.

I almost always encourage reading the Cosmere in order of publication but in the case of a reader who sorta likes Mistborn but isn't sold on Sanderson/The Cosmere due to its shortcomings (as minor as I find them, we all get different things out of art) then absolutely fast forward to the Stormlight Archive. If the reader then gets really into the idea of the Cosmere as a result they can always go back and pick up the connective tissue later. If Stormlight still doesn't light the fire it's likely not worth your time to try any further.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all really need to stop pushing the "You *have* to read Warbreaker before Stormlight" angle. It's not at all that necessary or beneficial. It can easily be read after the SA books.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all really need to stop pushing the "You *have* to read Warbreaker before Stormlight" angle. It's not at all that necessary or beneficial. It can easily be read after the SA books.

Since I'm the only one who said anything about Warbreaker in relation to reading it before any part of Stormlight in the current discussion...

Never said anyone had to. Ever. It's only a suggestion. So no.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Since I'm the only one who said anything about Warbreaker in relation to reading it before any part of Stormlight in the current discussion...

Never said anyone had to. Ever. It's only a suggestion. So no.

Made my statement generally because it's a general statement. You're not the only one that suggests it.

When new readers ask for guidance, suggestions from the existing community carry more weight than you're implying. So giving out step by step reading order is effectively telling a person that it's a must to read in that manner. Especially as it's not uncommon for books to have to be read in specific order for the overall story to make the most sense (Riyria Revelations before Riyria Chronicles publication order vs. The Dark Tower where Wind Through the Keyhole should be read chronologically).

Sanderson has taken great care not to require fans of any series of his Cosmere books to have to read other books to enjoy that series. Pushing a specific reading order does that effort a disservice.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Made my statement generally because it's a general statement. You're not the only one that suggests it.

Yeah I'm not and yes it's "general".

But it's obvious why you said it now.

When new readers ask for guidance, suggestions from the existing community carry more weight than you're implying. So giving out step by step reading order is effectively telling a person that it's a must to read in that manner. Especially as it's not uncommon for books to have to be read in specific order for the overall story to make the most sense (Riyria Revelations before Riyria Chronicles publication order vs. The Dark Tower where Wind Through the Keyhole should be read chronologically).

Sanderson has taken great care not to require fans of any series of his Cosmere books to have to read other books to enjoy that series. Pushing a specific reading order does that effort a disservice.

You are basically saying "don't express an opinion on this subject". You realize that, right? That is absurd in the extreme.

I'll tell you what, when I or anyone else starts actually phrasing it like it's absolutely necessary we can have this conversation again. I'll even back you up.

Until then you get a big nope.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just chip in and say I read warbreaker after oathbringer and felt like I missed out on a lot once i made the connections in my head. Reread feels mandatory now. If I could do it again I'd definitely read warbreaker first.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not and yes it's "general".

But it's obvious why you said it now.

You are basically saying "don't express an opinion on this subject". You realize that, right? That is absurd in the extreme.

I'll tell you what, when I or anyone else starts actually phrasing it like it's absolutely necessary we can have this conversation again. I'll even back you up.

Until then you get a big nope.

I'm not at all saying don't have an opinion. I'm saying there is factually no specific cross-series reading order. And the Author has done that for a reason (one that benefits the readers). So people shouldn't give out cross-series reading orders without context as it gives the impression that it matters, when it actually doesn't.

Suggesting a specific cross-series reading order has more of a negative impact than a positive one. It makes a series (or in this case, a Universe) seem more complicated and therefore intimidating to get in to. It sets up an expectation of meaningful correlation that isn't there. It can put a reader off a series they actually enjoy by making them feel like they'll be missing out on important overall story if they don't read books they're not interested in.

There's a difference between saying "I like reading in this order" or "Some prefer reading in this order" while setting expectations appropriately and just stating "read them in this order" with no context.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Warbreaker should totally be read before Word of Radiance. That part at the end (you all know which) has a much bigger impact.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not at all saying don't have an opinion. I'm saying there is factually no specific cross-series reading order. And the Author has done that for a reason (one that benefits the readers). So people shouldn't give out cross-series reading orders without context as it gives the impression that it matters, when it actually doesn't.

Suggesting a specific cross-series reading order has more of a negative impact than a positive one. It makes a series (or in this case, a Universe) seem more complicated and therefore intimidating to get in to. It sets up an expectation of meaningful correlation that isn't there. It can put a reader off a series they actually enjoy by making them feel like they'll be missing out on important overall story if they don't read books they're not interested in.

There's a difference between saying "I like reading in this order" or "Some prefer reading in this order" while setting expectations appropriately and just stating "read them in this order" with no context.

Facts, right. Ok let's look at some facts.

I said "I almost always encourage reading in release order" right AFTER "I would say skip a bunch of stuff and try Stormlight before Warbreaker then back to Stormlight". And THEN I said the reader could always go back and pick up the rest laster. It was a suggestion of a reading order that is outright against what I just established as my normal recommendation.

In what universe does any of that imply necessity? If anything it implies recognition of flexibility. It says I have a preference and recommend it, while st the same time recognizing other circumstances are appropriate for other people.

But your response (and yeah yeah it was phrased generally but you didn't make that post in a vacuum, and mine was the only post mentioning reading order in the current active discussion so let's not pretend it wasn't posted because of what I wrote) was "y'all need to stop" followed by accusations of having more power than I realize and doing a disservice to Sanderson's efforts. In response to an obvious opinion and suggestion that was obviously not expression of a hardline requirement.

The context was there. If you miss it that's on you.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Finished Oathbringer and Sanderson does it again. He might be the best author at setting up pay offs at the end of his novels. Literally every novel has such awesome, satisfying revelations. I love it.

I think Shadows of Self was the most surprising and exciting for me.

Firstly, I love having Szeth with the sword. He is a really fun character to read and the sword of course is fun to read about. I like where they are heading with him. The whole group of Justice people was really cool to follow too, with the leader allowing him to choose his allegiance and respecting it despite them probably having to fight each other at some point. Look forward to that.
Second, is Dalanar almost a god?! Dude just brought all the planes of existence together, that is bananas. Full on super saiyan, just like when Kaladin went SS at the end of Words.I am really curious what will happen when another of the people with Dalanar's power comes forward. I recall reading that there were as many as 3 of them, but a max of 3 at any time. It seems like the most OP power so it's going to be cool how this unfolds further.

Third, I really hope Adolin gets a cool power cause he really deserves it and is a really great character despite being the only powerless guy we follow.
Fourth, Jasnah is hilariously OP and I love it.

Also, great revelation that the humans are the conquerors. Kinda had a feeling this was the case the whole time, but it was still cool. I am curious where they came from? I was thinking from the future Mistborn, although I don't know where they would have picked up Odium. I actually haven't read Elantris so maybe he is the god there, and they came over through a portal?? I don't think Odium is from Warbreaker either, at least I don't recall him being mentioned.

Just picked up Arcanum Unbounded. Looking forward to it. First have to read Senlin Ascends because I have been wanting to for awhile, and the writing is really good, almost done.

Juup

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend checking out the Stormlight Archives books - I find them to be better than Mistborn in almost every way. And I enjoyed Mistborn.

They're significantly longer (each is basically longer than the entire original Mistborn trilogy), but worth it

(...)
So yeah, I would go with Way of Kings like above, or if you don't have that time investment/want something a bit faster paced then Warbreaker or Alloy of Law - I enjoyed those 3 far more.

Tying in to what 1000 needles and Avis said - go ahead and read Way of Kings. IF you like it, stop with Stormlight, read Warbreaker, then go back to Stormlight with Words of Radiance.
(...)

All right, I suppose I'll give it another try then with Way of Kings and decide from there. Thanks!

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. Finally finished Elantris after a few weeks slog. I wanted to knock it out before starting Oathbringer because I knew it was considered his least polished novel.

Really glad to be done with it. Couldn't get into any of the characters at all and there was way too much political intrigue for my liking. Still, I'm glad to finally have some background knowledge on Sel, even if there weren't a ton of connections to the overall Cosmere lore.

Anyway, I'm now about 20 chapters in Oathbringer, and loving it. The SA is, without a doubt, his best and finest work. Exciting to keep chipping away at it. Once that's done, I'll probably palette cleanse with White Sand, and then it's on to the Mistborn series. I plan on wrapping everything up with Arcanum Unbounded...and that should be everything. Whew.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Elantris recently as well. Agree that it's one of his weaker works, but considering my expectations were under the earths crust after years of being told it's shit, I found I didn't find it that awful (And I really liked Hraethen). Still enjoyed it more than WoA.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Finished reading Oathbringer. Kind of bummed now.. I just want to keep reading.

Also a bit sad that I didnt read warbreaker before reading WoR and Oathbringer but I'm going to start reading it tomorrow so hopefully everything from Oathbringer will be fresh enough in my mind that I can make all the connections and if not ill just start a reread sometime in the future.

Can't wait for the Fourth book in the series.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Grabbed some t-shirts to rep the best works in the Cosmere. 8)

tumblr_p8jbskcrsv1rn8nkfo1_540.jpg

Tenck

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought Oathbringer when it released, and I'm sad to say I just started on it a few hours ago.

Without going in to details I want to say that I've been going through the darkest period in my life, and I'm so happy to be alive now.

With that out of the way, I still can't believe how engaging Sanderson's books are. It's one thing to like reading a series, and then there's loving to read one. I cracked the book open today and what felt like an hour is actually 3. I can't help but have a huge smile on my face when I get to read even a sentence. Especially when I read a Dalinar chapter.

Only thing that makes me sad right now is knowing every second spent reading another word, means I'm getting closer to the end of the book.

Here's a question for the people who have read all the books. How would you rate Oathbringer against the other books?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a question for the people who have read all the books. How would you rate Oathbringer against the other books?

I think it's the best yet. It's the book that really takes a deep dive into the planet, the history behind what's happening, and just opens up the plot. Some great character stuff as well.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

i've read all his cosmere stuff and would probably rank it as my second favorite(although #1 for me is The Emperor's Soul and it's really hard to compare them considering Oathbringer is literally like 10 times as long)

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Hello, want to read something Sanderson related... Stormlight or Mistborn? Do we know something about future movies? I read I think the first 3 Mistborn books years ago alonside Kingkiller chronicles, but I don't remember anything haha.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stormlight will probably be the first to get a movie, whether it will be good is another matter.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I'm currently reading the White Sand graphic novels, finished Volume 1 yesterday and started Volume 2 today. I like the idea behind the magic system, even though it's not as awesome as the ones in the Stormlight Archive or Mistborn series, and the world the story is set in. The artwork is good and fits the narrative style (speaking as a comic/graphic novel newbie). But I just think I'd enjoy it even more if it was a "proper" novel (apparently White Sand is the story of Sanderson's first unpublished novel). There's a lot of stuff happening and it can get a bit overwhelming with this format. But I couldn't imagine making a script out of one of Sanderson's novels, so Hoskin did a really good job in that regard.

On another note: while it won't be part of the Cosmere, Skyward is releasing in about a month (November 6). The first book in a new YA/Adult series.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I'm currently reading the White Sand graphic novels, finished Volume 1 yesterday and started Volume 2 today. I like the idea behind the magic system, even though it's not as awesome as the ones in the Stormlight Archive or Mistborn series, and the world the story is set in. The artwork is good and fits the narrative style (speaking as a comic/graphic novel newbie). But I just think I'd enjoy it even more if it was a "proper" novel (apparently White Sand is the story of Sanderson's first unpublished novel). There's a lot of stuff happening and it can get a bit overwhelming with this format. But I couldn't imagine making a script out of one of Sanderson's novels, so Hoskin did a really good job in that regard.

On another note: while it won't be part of the Cosmere, Skyward is releasing in about a month (November 6). The first book in a new YA/Adult series.

I have only read the White Sand excerpt that was in the Arcanum, and I really liked it better as a novel. It shows you the same events in a graphic format, and honestly it lost a lot of interesting stuff. The novel was able to expand on certain things, and I find I can imagine what he is saying so having it in a graphic format did nothing for me.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This is the one described as "boy finds a dragon, except it's girl finds a fighter jet," right?
kinda lol
I have only read the White Sand excerpt that was in the Arcanum, and I really liked it better as a novel. It shows you the same events in a graphic format, and honestly it lost a lot of interesting stuff. The novel was able to expand on certain things, and I find I can imagine what he is saying so having it in a graphic format did nothing for me.
Yeah, I think that's what I was trying to say. I like comics in general but I imagine they're somewhat limiting when it comes to stuff like the magic systems Sanderson uses in his books. Graphic novels/comics just can't do his epic narrative style and picturesque descriptions justice I guess.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
volume 2 looks like it had some trouble in production. the art style just suddenly and completely changes in the middle. it's bizarre.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do want this but I don't expect it to ever happen. I hope the upcoming movies are popular enough to warrant good games though...