• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
It was okay outside of the wasps and snakes doing 500 to 600 damage a hit. Really don't get why they would make the enemies hit that hard for the demo? Guess they want you to grind a bit to buy better armor and get the more advanced job skills, which I really wasn't too interested in doing.

Anyway, the character models and enemies look atrocious, really not sure what happened there because at the very least BD had cute SD designs for characters in the other two games. Think it will be pretty hard to get past the negative impression for the game that the demo left in my mind.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up giving it a 3, though I was seriously considering 2. Felt like I couldn't even really get into anything important in the survey.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up giving it a 3, though I was seriously considering 2. Felt like I couldn't even really get into anything important in the survey.
Yeah, I gave it a 2 star rating. Could have given it a 3, but they've messed up too many things here:
- The UI functionality
- The Battle System is changed and is a lot worse
- The Encounter System is changed

I don't think there is enough time for them to make any big changes. So yeah, this will be rough.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
Got the survey in an email from nintendo

I liked the combat and job system. I said the menus could use some improvements - it would be better if you didnt have to hold down start to see ability descriptions or to see info in combat. I also think it would be better if there was a turn order displayed like in octopath.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
The survey did not have nearly enough text space for me to list all my complaints. They were all minor control and UI issues that could be summed up as "This needs a bit more polish," but that's not really helpful, so I tried to be as specific as possible.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall any major changes for Octopath though? But it's been a while. Can highlight some stuff that changed?

The Break/BP systems received the most significant gameplay change. Before, you could stunlock enemies because enemies couldn't attack the turn they recovered from Break, and your BP never stopped accruing. They changed it so that enemies could attack after recovering, and you wouldn't gain BP for one turn after boosting.

They made a good amount of other changes, though:

So I'd expect BD2's rough edges to be properly smoothed. Wouldn't necessarily expect fundamentals like the turn order system to be changed, though, beyond a visible indicator being added. They might just be wanting to try something new, and frankly it might be better -- a short demo isn't enough to judge by.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God dang yall. Just listened to the guitar theme of one of the leads and mother of God Revo you absolute madman. That was beautiful. Ringabels theme 2.0 so good

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Yeah, I gave it a 2 star rating. Could have given it a 3, but they've messed up too many things here:
- The UI functionality
- The Battle System is changed and is a lot worse
- The Encounter System is changed

I don't think there is enough time for them to make any big changes. So yeah, this will be rough.
It's not like they gave a release date. The game could be released as far as December.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the music. It's one of those things what I love about jpg's so much. The music elevates the whole experience.

Finally got to the boss and he kicked my ass. I guess I will need to grind some more. They did say that for the demo purposes they increased the difficulty so I don't think you will need to grind so much in the final product.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The Break/BP systems received the most significant gameplay change. Before, you could stunlock enemies because enemies couldn't attack the turn they recovered from Break, and your BP never stopped accruing. They changed it so that enemies could attack after recovering, and you wouldn't gain BP for one turn after boosting.

They made a good amount of other changes, though:

[...]

So I'd expect BD2's rough edges to be properly smoothed. Wouldn't necessarily expect fundamentals like the turn order system to be changed, though, beyond a visible indicator being added. They might just be wanting to try something new, and frankly it might be better -- a short demo isn't enough to judge by.
Oh yeah, had completely forgotten about that video haha. Thanks.

Well, let's see how they handle the feedback for this.

Sep 14, 2019
I just need a hint: Can the boss be poisoned?

Edit: Never mind, finally beat. Took an aggressive approach. Fucker was hard to beat.

Last edited:

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Was hoping they'd do away with the chibi style and get a bigger budget on Switch but came in with my expectations in check and I liked it.

The battle system feels like home and the art style in the city is great. I sorta miss the 3D effect on 3DS just a little bit; but it has a great look.

Like the last game I'm not sure about these characters, the dialogue is goofy and the comic relief doesn't really land. Bravely Default would be much higher on my list if I liked the story and characters but they fell kinda flat.

Still looking forward to it and hoping there's more to it.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Bruh, how much fucking HP does this last boss have?

What a huge swing and a miss this demo was. Why they made the difficulty this annoying is beyond me. It's only going to hurt sales.

edit: Okay, was finally able to beat him, but I had to grind everyone to the demo max level which is 20 and equip the best gear for each class. You get the Thief job after beating him which doesn't seem too great and two extra side quests, one being another final boss type monster which, IMO, is even harder then the first guy.

I just whaled on this thing for like 30 minutes and ended up dying, even at max level with the best gear equipped. lol

Last edited:

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
edit: Okay, was finally able to beat him, but I had to grind everyone to the demo max level which is 20 and equip the best gear for each class. You get the Thief job after beating him which doesn't seem too great and two extra side quests, one being another final boss type monster which, IMO, is even harder then the first guy.

I just whaled on this thing for like 30 minutes and ended up dying, even at max level with the best gear equipped. lol
After that boss, there is another secret boss. So yeah, good luck :P

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Figured I'd share this. The game is having a collab with the mobile game, which shows how the BDII characters would look in the old art style:

While not perfect (Elvis looks off), I think it looks a lot better than what we have now.

I dislike chibis, but if I had to choose one it would be old style.

something about the Switch models look wrong. Elvis face especially is irritating me.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The demo's really great, I like it more than Octopath Traveler already.
I think it encapsulates the feeling of the first Bravely Default quite well while also being a step up overall.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
After that boss, there is another secret boss. So yeah, good luck :P

Great.

I just beat the worm, though. Switched Seth from Thief to Monk for more damage. Also made sure to have everyone equip the Silver Glasses accessory to nullify his blindness attack. He was also able to be poisoned which I didn't try the first time which was a huge help giving me that much needed extra damage per attack. Finally loaded up on way more Ethers and Phoenix Downs, too. It's tough with the Ether which only recovers 30 MP so I had to use up 2-3 brave turns to fill up the mages MP here and there.

I'm sure it's been said, but Shell Split stacks. Makes the demo much easier.

I did not know this and this also helped a ton with the worm.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Great.

I just beat the worm, though. Switched Seth from Thief to Monk for more damage. Also made sure to have everyone equip the Silver Glasses accessory to nullify his blindness attack. He was also able to be poisoned which I didn't try the first time which was a huge help giving me that much needed extra damage per attack. Finally loaded up on way more Ethers and Phoenix Downs, too. It's tough with the Ether which only recovers 30 MP so I had to use up 2-3 brave turns to fill up the mages MP here and there.

I did not know this and this also helped a ton with the worm.
For MP, Freelancer has a skill that recovers 20%. There is also a passive (Uncanny Economy) that reduces your MP usage.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Aww I did not get the survey. I didn't get it for Octopath either. There must be some email setting I have turned off.

Anyway despite some issues I loved the demo on the whole so I don't feel too bad about missing the survey. The one major request I had was to let us change character order and control different characters on the field.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
The game does a lot right, but I have 3 little/big problems with it.. maybe it's just the demo tho..
1. On 3DS you could hit L to Default... Why can you only hit R to Brave in BD2?
2. Why can't I speed up battle intros? Watching the same goons walk in everytime makes grinding more tedius than it needs to be.
3. The music is terrrrrible.... No idea why they remixed the BD music this way. Would have liked a new battle theme at least.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Aww I did not get the survey. I didn't get it for Octopath either. There must be some email setting I have turned off.

Anyway despite some issues I loved the demo on the whole so I don't feel too bad about missing the survey. The one major request I had was to let us change character order and control different characters on the field.

The survey did say it was limited, and it probably was for people that beat the demo rather soon after it released? I'm not really sure. I've gotten surveys for DxM, Octopath and now BDII.

I dislike chibis, but if I had to choose one it would be old style.

something about the Switch models look wrong. Elvis face especially is irritating me.

Elvis did bother me a lot at first, but after using a few different jobs on him, I really don't mind. The look has really grown on me.

Look on the bright side, it's infinitely better than what they SE did to Noctis and crew

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Stray observations
  • Smart move on their behalf to crank up the difficulty. Forced me to better understand the battle system.
  • Equipping the passive skill of the Monk gives you the most powerful attack in the demo.
  • The sword swinging mechanic in the world map feels off. Seems like it's delayed or it doesn't hit what you think it will hit.
  • Music is amazing.
  • When you enlarge the map in the overworld, it takes up way too much on-screen real estate. Makes it impossible to see enemies. Maybe a split-screen option would be better if you enlarge the map?
  • The art direction is stunning. Everything in the game is gorgeous.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Thank goodness you can see enemies, I'm so over random encounters. Though they need to tone down their homing missle status, damn! You can't even avoid most.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
I only had enough time to play for about 30 minutes today. Does the demo have any points of no return?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Anyone know how long the surveys will be collected? I'd like to try the demo and complete the survey, but trying to clear out my current backlog. May need to just jump into this one since it shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
The only thing I mentioned in the survey (besides that 30fps is disappointing once again) is that text size should be increased. Compare those dialogue boxes to Animal Crossing. It's stupid.

I was sure they would have learned from Octopath, for which they increased text size after receiving fan feedback on the demo, but nope.

I'm even sure most 3DS RPGs have larger text in direct comparison. I'm sure gameplay, characters and all the RPG stuff will be splendid but I just hate the way some developers treat their games from a technical standpoint.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, I got my survey and answered all the issues I had with it (difficulty, battle system, lack of choice of random encounters, sword attack being useless, menus, etc).

Hope they're able to fix most of the problems before release.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
So I played the demo today.

I'm not sure what to make of the game atm. It feels like parts are almost there, but the game seems a lot less polished than the last two bd games.

Anybody else find the barrage of audio at the end of the battles unsettling? The timing of victory pose section just feels very rushed and a bit chaotic.

Also the character banter during battle is a real contrast to the 3ds titles. I kind of wish they wouldn't talk so much beyond the end/start of battles.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that really stood out to me was I think the camera for the world map should be a little further out

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Seems ok to me, very Final Fantasy 9 in vibe. Bit of Wild Arms.

Battles are hard as anticipated, to the point where I'm grinding a small amount to get all the weapons, some levels, and the job types levelled up.

But the battling feels fun.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Was finally able to finish the demo. Here are my thoughts:

• The changes in battle have made them much more chaotic. At the end of the demo, I ended up growing accostumised to how turns work right now (I still don't get the order right lol). The menu in battle is also more cumbersome to navigate. In general, I didn't like the UI design very much.
  • The artstyle for the protagonists models is a mess. I get the clay-miniature/fold-out book juxtaposition between the cities and the outside world, but it doesn't mesh well with the 4 player characters, who stick out like a sore thumb. Scenes and dialogues also make them look pretty ugly. I don't know how they could've adapted Yoshida's style to HD, but maybe Final Fantasy XIV and Tactics were the answer to this question... I have to say that Ronald's model looked pretty good and did mesh better with the background and lighting.
  • Since the narrative was exclusive to the demo, maybe I shouldn't judge it harshly, but I found the first game to be pretty compelling and the main cast had great interactions. This time we get discount Tiz, discount Agnes, a no-personality mercenary and Elvis, who I found to be pretty interesting.
  • Difficulty was definitely hard at the start lol Final boss also wrecked me on my first try, seems impossible to tackle on with a good strategy. He didn't last long on my second try, though, but I really enjoyed the fight.

Overall, I'm still interested in seeing more from the game, but I'm afraid this is going to turn out to be another Ni no Kuni 2 situation in which the sequel doesn't add anything interesting and messes up the legacy of the first game. The demo didn't bring anything new to the table, so I hope they don't drop the amazing worldbuilding and narrative that the series is known for.

Regarding connections to the first game...
I noticed how Adelle is an anagram for "Edea II". She was almost a non-identity in the demo so I don't know if they're really going to make her that important, but it would also tie into this game being called Bravely Default II instead of Bravely Third. Maybe this is just a coincidence, since the VAs don't really match and the characters do not resemble eachother, but since Edea has been transported into another realities/timelines before, I figured they were going to pull off that twist in this game too.

Oct 27, 2017
Once I learned the importance of grinding in this game, and the bravely default system, I've really been enjoying it.

I love grinding, and the setting and characters seem really full of life. The voice acting is actually really really good.

This is definitely a must buy as soon as it's released.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Default 2 is the cover of Famitsu

EVc8D6GUYAAXRLQ

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful cover. When's that coming out, and is there going to be an article on BD2? (Or Asano's team in general, it looks like at the bottom?)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
beautiful cover. i wish the in game models in BD2 looked closer to the art :(

Beautiful cover. When's that coming out, and is there going to be an article on BD2? (Or Asano's team in general, it looks like at the bottom?)
april 16th, its 36 pages about team asano games (BD2, various daylife, the octopath mobile game)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Turn order indicator is always a sign of a good turn-based system to me, along with an accessible view of exactly how many more turns buffs and debuffs on the party will last. Essentially any information that lets me plan ahead rather than hoping a heal/support spell goes off at the right time rather than being wasted, or the game assuming I can keep track of half a dozen effects across four characters that are all out of sync if some get revived etc.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Figured I'd share this. The game is having a collab with the mobile game, which shows how the BDII characters would look in the old art style:

While not perfect (Elvis looks off), I think it looks a lot better than what we have now.

I missed that, but yeah, definitely prefer the old artstyle and proportions.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to playing through this demo. Overall pretty good, but coming right off the Dragon Quest XI Switch demo, it's like I can see all the differences between Square and Enix right on display -- the differences between Dragon Quest (of which I've only played a bit of IX and that demo) and classic Final Fantasy.

First let me just say overall BDII looks really good. The art style in the town is pulled off amazingly, and it kinda feels like a logical evolution of not only the earlier games, but also of pre-rendered backgrounds from PS1 and PS2 RPGs. I always wondered why no JRPG developers in recent years have tried to do HD pre-rendered backgrounds like Pillars of Eternity and some other recent WRPGs. I think BDII is the closest Japanese example I've seen. Out in the field and in battles where everything is 3D it still looks good... but it also has sort of an... Unreal Engine look to it. Yeah it's on Unreal, but so is Dragon Quest and a bunch of other Japanese stuff. Everything outside the town in the BDII demo reminds me of how stereotypical Unreal Engine 3 games looked sort of. It has something to do with how it handles lighting and motion blur.

The only thing I didn't like here is how the bosses were balanced, and obviously that's not how they'll be in the full game. But still, all three bosses felt like unnecessarily long battles of attrition, and that actually describes a lot of Final Fantasy bosses too. I've reached the point where even after I've found the right strategy for beating a boss, I shouldn't have to spend another 30 minutes hacking at it only to get one run of bad luck in one turn and get my whole party wiped. Back in the day it was cool to see a boss with 50-bajillion HP or something, but that's just tiring now, and DQ's smaller numbers feel refreshing in comparison, even as that game's battle system is potentially just as strategic.

Another difference I noticed a bit from DQ is the presentation. The DQXI demo didn't really go out of its way to describe its setting. It just started with a brief cut scene showing what's happening to the characters, and then you start off in the village, and you find out about the world during gameplay. The BDII demo seemed to follow the trend of a few recent RPGs (I think Fire Emblem Three Houses was another one) where the opening cut scene takes a minute to describe what the setting is like and the kingdoms that exist in it, as if that's one of the game's main selling points. I gotta admit though the writing (or at least the localization) in BDII seems better than most similar JRPGs.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Only just noticed there was a demo of this. Never played the original. Game looks and feels a lot like Octopath on first inspection. But they made the demo far too hard. Don't know whether you can adjust the difficulty mind but felt you didn't get chance to learn the battle system too well when your getting torn apart on default set up. Which is a shame because I think what's there seems really cool, but didn't get much chance to see much of it without I guess grinding a lot. Certainly as a newcomer the difficulty didn't feel welcoming.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the necro post, but I finally downloaded and played the demo yesterday, at least part of it. Did so after watching the new videos (one a trailer) posted yesterday.

I only played about an hour or so and it was brutal. I can see what people are saying on it being too difficult. In some respects I liked it, as I view it something to work towards on building up my characters. But even still, I feel it probably still is a bit too challenging. It's good that the company acknowledged as such and was only done that way for the demo.

I stopped not long after I got into the first dungeon (ruins) and the first combat I lost two characters pretty quickly. Got through the combat, but got TPK'd the next combat.

Also, couldn't figure out how to equip the Passive skills. Going under Abilities, you had three options to equip abilities (skills?) and it would then go over to each of Job classes that was unlocked, but when I chose one of them I just got nothing. I figured maybe it was something unlocked later in the demo.

That said, I enjoyed what I played and want to play it through completely and will probably try again later today.