• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Yeah, this needs quite a few tweaks. Enemies are too fast on the overworld and the attack to hit them first is pretty much worthless. Plus, I feel like they should have started with a standard difficulty just like they did with the first Octopath Traveler demo because this might be a bit too frustrating for newcomers (It's already frustrating for me).

I really hope they manage to fix all these issues before release this year.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I've got to say, perhaps the biggest issue with the demo from a gameplay perspective is the on-screen encounters. They can work well depending on execution, but the execution here is sorely lacking. It's a stark step down from the customizable random encounter system of the previous games. It's actually a case-in-point of how visible encounters aren't inherently better than random ones, despite what some loudly proclaim.

Some enemies are far too fast, the player turns far too slowly, and the sword swing's hitbox is also rather small with considerable delay. All that adds up to the player failing to preempt and instead getting opened up on a lot of the time. And with enemies hitting as ludicrously hard as they do... that's not great.

I'd do two things to improve it, assuming they want to stick with visible encounters:
  • Make the player turn instantly.
  • Make sword strikes knock monsters out, rather than immediately trigger a preemptive encounter.
    • This allows the player to pick and choose which encounters they want to fight.
Also, what's up with the turn system? In the previous games, as has been said, you input commands for your entire party at once, allowing better strategizing that was less reactive. Here, you're forced to be reactive, because not only are turns individual, but there's no visible turn order, meaning you're operating blindly. Something's gotta be tweaked -- either make turn order visible, or command the party all at once.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I'm getting my arse handed to me by this demo. Just got my third Game Over...

I hate how the game accepts further inputs when holding down the button, because I keep pressing just long enough to trigger stuff I don't want.

I like pretty much everything else though. Framerate could do with some work, but it's not a big deal.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
This is good? You unironically find it spectacular? Like, legitimately on the same pedestal than Bravely Default?

uhN8BmT.jpg

YGrxmn4.jpg

une-bravely-default-2-trailer-2.jpg
Yes

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Did you beat the boss? What was your party-setup?
Yea I beat him in 7 turns I believe

Lv 18 Seth
Main: Lv 7 Vanguard
Sub: Lv 2 Freelancer (for blind)
Abilities: Further Favour and BP by Default (Both Vanguard)

Lv 18 Gloria
Main: Lv 7 White Mage
Sub: Lv 7 Black Mage
Abilities: Grace of Angels and Uncanny Economy (Both White Mage)

Lv 18 Adelle
Main: Lv 7 Monk
Sub: Lv 1 White Mage
Abilities: Bare Knuckle Brawler and Revenge (Both Monk)

Lv 18 Elvis
Main: Lv 7 White Mage
Sub: Lv 7 Black Mage
Abilities: Grace of Angels and Uncanny Economy

I also got the best armor I could get for everyone

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Only just started playing. Is the menu screen outstretching your tv screen? Not sure what to change here =/
Edit - had to fix overscan. All good now!

Anyway, the UI and everything else so far has been insanely gorgeous! Loving the return to this series!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gorgeous game, by all accounts. Compressed screenshots can't fully capture how great this little clay artstyle looks.
EUEIfIBVAAAOt7V

EUEIfH6U8AASBPI

EUEIfIUUwAEymVr

EUEAUhPVAAAREFl

EUEIfIBUYAASc5C

EUEuIexU8AA0G-2

EUEuIe3UwAExEuy

that being said either im very rusty or the demo is fucking hard

Last edited:

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to try the demo. It would be my first foray into the Default series, but if it's from the team that made Octopath, I'm there!

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Making a demo harder seems weird to me, I bet it'll turn a lot of people off, regardless of the disclaimer.

Anyway, I only just started, but wow, everyone looks so good in all their outfits! White Mage and Monk look spectacular on everyone.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of Octopath but I'm looking forward to buying this. Not sure if I want to play the demo or not.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My prediction is that the actual game will release and people will complain about it being easy or something.
Mark my words.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Maybe I am overthinking it but as much as I think the game looks good (graphically), it feels like a HD version of the 3DS games instead of a new design and style created for an HD home console. I get that feeling from a lot of Switch games.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the demo! It wasn't actually that hard once you truly get how Brave/Default works again. Took me a little less than three hours, ended at lvl 19.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Beat the boss, I feel like I was missing something because it took foreeever and I only won because he ran out of MP lol.

I like how the job designs are so different from the 3DS. They all look great. Who would've thought that's what the female thief looked like?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
The art style is terrible. I think you can easily see how bad looking it is. A lot of sheen

This shit hurts extra considering Bravely Default had an art style. Guess this is what happens when you don't call back Yoshida
really agree with you honestly. The original was fucking gorgeous. Actually had solid art direction, great colors, models, etc. This one, holy shit was I disappointed as soon as I saw it. It looks a tad better than the reveal but really the visuals lost all their charm to me. For many people resolution (and many times, realism) is enough to make them think the graphics are better. I'm happy for people that are digging this, and while I still have my eye on the game, it really does look like a hard miss visually

that being said, I'll try the demo soon and will probably have a better impression once I see it on the handheld screen

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played and beat Bravely Default but never played Bravely Second. Should I go back and play it or should I even bother and just move on to Bravely Default 2?

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to agree with the sentiment others here have mentioned: why bother increasing the difficulty of a demo to begin with? You're more likely to turn people away, then you are keep them interested. But you needn't talk about its supposed difficulty to spot some really odd design choices here:

• Why is there such a massive gap in damage output between an enemy's regular attacks and their (I'm guessing) specials/abilities? It can go from 40-50 to around 700 depending on what they use which I think is way too high a contrast. Same for the boss, which isn't helped by the fact that he practically heals all damage received with one of his special attacks. I'm also guessing the purple energy that spews out is meant to signify them using a special attack - just like how blue and red signifies Default and Brave moves respectively. But why bother - you can't prepare for that, so what's the point with that effect?
  • Secondly, in regards to enemies on the map/overworld, I feel like there's so many elements working against and contradicting one another. Also with enemies respawning constantly, I'm finding it relatively easy to flee battles upon which said enemy just disappears from the world. So why bother having so many to engage with? If you can attack enemies and potentially gain a free turn + BP, why are there inconsistencies on where you strike an enemy? Sometimes I can hit them on the side, from behind, or not at all and that can vary a lot on what exactly I start a battle with. Is it purely random. Also also, why do they respawn so close and rapidly even after such a short trek. I found myself having to deal with four wolves in that cliff area that leads to a chest/dead-end, because they just kept appearing.
  • Thirdly, enemies in dungeons either need to be highlighted on the map, or there should be some alert that one is charging towards you, because I've lost count of the amount of times one has attacked me from off-screen or, again, just spawned in place without giving me much time to react.
  • Fourthly, I'd rather there be some kind of consistency with how many enemies you deal with in combat. Again, the game seems to jump from 3 to 6 to 4 to 6 back down to 3 and then to 5 - sometimes with relatively weak enemies, sometimes being purely a mix of those damn insects and snakes - yet battles are either easy to get to or are a challenge in having not to constantly heal party members because of such high damage output from certain enemies.
Overall, I have to say I'm a touch less excited about the game then I was when it was announced. Among the technical aspects and some UI things that need cleaning up, the difficulty scaling and damage output for enemies is the one thing I'm hoping the developers look at the most. The RNG and numbers seem to be all over the place. There are some good things which I like - the art-style is charming enough and the music is sufficient - but a lot of my time so far with the demo just feels like time unnecessarily wasted. Maybe I'll go back and try and beat the end boss, got him to around 2000 HP left after playing very conservatively and using Default a lot - Dark Magic's Poison is your friend - but I'm also not that enthusiastic to grind for levels and items.

Oct 27, 2017
I played and beat Bravely Default but never played Bravely Second. Should I go back and play it or should I even bother and just move on to Bravely Default 2?
Bravely Second is the Final Fantasy X-2 to Bravely Default's Final Fantasy X, while this seems to be a different final fantasy altogether (in keeping up with the analogy).

I would be actually very happy if the series keeps being successful and we get Bravely III, IV and so on as the current spiritual successors of the old final fantasies, while FF turns and evolves into its own thing

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Wrote a list of feedback I have so far:
-Default should be mapped to L just like Brave is mapped to R similar to previous BD games
-Implement a turn order bar, if you want this game to be more strategic allow us to strategize on whos turn is coming instead of taking a shot in the dark, blind strategy is much more difficult and less engaging especially since turns aren't the same as previous BD games
-Make sneaking from behind more reliable, currently feels like enemies catch us event when we think we're in a decent position behind them
-Add some damage to the enemy if we hit them with the sword in the overworld, more rewarding and it doesn't have to be a lot
-Add an option that lets us see a full map but keep the chests hidden, its just harder to see where we're going with how small the map is and increasing its size with R obscures the view to much
-More optimization in both docked and undocked, primarily undocked with the lack of anti-aliasing
-Options for more font sizes, the font is to small for some people in docked so we'd like to be able to increase font size
-Please please please PLEASE add voice acting for the party talk skit segments, they'd be so much more enjoyable and we'd feel a lot more connection to the characters
-Clean up some visual glitches like enemy sweat drops staying on screen even when you beat them and enemies not having the black cloud over their eyes in certain instances when blinded
-Let us skip battle intros by pressing A during it like previous BD games, they're charming but after a point they take too long to always sit through

Unsure if I'm missing anything (this is based on my own experience)

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Second is the Final Fantasy X-2 to Bravely Default's Final Fantasy X, while this seems to be a different final fantasy altogether (in keeping up with the analogy).

I would be actually very happy if the series keeps being successful and we get Bravely III, IV and so on as the current spiritual successors of the old final fantasies, while FF turns and evolves into its own thing
If I haven't played it in forever and mostly forgot about the characters and not really bothered to buy bravely second or play 3ds is it still worth it? If so I'll buy it but just wondering how much I'm missing out on when I could skip to bravely default 2.

Oct 27, 2017
If I haven't played it in forever and mostly forgot about the characters and not really bothered to buy bravely second or play 3ds is it still worth it? If so I'll buy it but just wondering how much I'm missing out on when I could skip to bravely default 2.

I think it'll be fine. BD II seems to borrow the aesthetics and gameplay of the original BD but in a completely new world and with new characters. Doubt that people who've played all games will have gained anything other than more familiarity with the mechanics of the game.

Bravely Second took place in an expanded version of the first game's world and had a bunch of returning characters, and even then it stood on its own with a story that didn't rely in important ways to the story of the first game.

Bravely Second ending spoilers:
Though it was revealed in the end that Ringabel can travel through dimensions and there's the "sword of the brave" business that ended the game on a cliffhanger. I wonder if there are plans for a Bravely Third, or if BD II will end up not being in as much of a different universe as we think

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
- Really unsure about how characters take turns individually instead of choosing everyone's actions together for a round. I've always liked individual-turn style of combat less. In the past Bravely games it's really fun to plan and execute on party-wide combos during rounds, which is going to be harder now. I'm not going to judge too hard before playing more of the game though.

Yeah, this was a jarring change for me. I noticed it instantly. Like you, I'm trying not to judge right now. But I hope they change it back

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Battle system is still a lot of fun and the boss battle was really enjoyable! Ended up with two monks and two white mages. Poison chipped away at him and the damage output of the monks is a wee bit broken but i'll take it for how difficult the game was against large mobs early on. Some bits of the UI during battles could be spruced up like the red text for damage could be more highlighted and an icon beside the character your selecting for heals as oppose to just the yellow outer glow but overall its got me excited for this entry! Really enjoyed the first game but burnt out on bravely second might finish it before this...

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yooo the backgrounds look phenomenal!! But im more of a story person, how was the story of the first two games? Classic repetitive cliché rpg story?

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the demo, but the game really need both a turn order ui and an enemy buff and debuff status bar similar to the 3ds games, it's next to impossible to predict when they run out. Sometimes it feels like it lasts 4 turns, others not even a turn

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
yooo the backgrounds look phenomenal!! But im more of a story person, how was the story of the first two games? Classic repetitive cliché rpg story?
The stories are intentionally cliche in the beginning, but then they swerve into something memorable. It gets cheesy or campy sometimes. You'll like it if that's within your tastes.
I personally like their stories. I hope BD2 is less like Octopath and more like BD1 and Second

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Hm, maybe my tastes have changed. Demo wasn't clicking for me.... battle system is fine, but the game looks cheap. IDK, something about the fonts and character models puts me off. Going to keep looking into it though.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The stories are intentionally cliche in the beginning, but then they swerve into something memorable. It gets cheesy or campy sometimes. You'll like it if that's within your tastes.
I personally like their stories. I hope BD2 is less like Octopath and more like BD1 and Second
thanks! will wait for review

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, why did they get rid of random encounters and the toggles? That was one of the best things about BD games that you can fight battles when you want. This enemies on screen system is worse. :(