• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is both oddly ugly and beautiful at the same time. Mostly beautiful, I think it's the character models throwing the tone off as nice as they tried to make them look.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is both oddly ugly and beautiful at the same time. Mostly beautiful, I think it's the character models throwing the tone off as nice as they tried to make them look.
The visuals of the character models remind me wood puppets.
puppenkiste-02-zoom.jpg

They kinda haves a nice fairy tale vibe to them. Still, I'm not the biggest fan of chibi models and I would've liked it if they resembled the character illustrations.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
What the fuck is wrong with the bees, used all my bps on ONE bee and didn't even kill it, they killed my whole team in one turn.

I'm done.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The visuals of the character models remind me wood puppets.
puppenkiste-02-zoom.jpg

They kinda haves a nice fairy tale vibe to them. Still, I'm not the biggest fan of chibi models and I'd rather like if they resembled the character illustrations.
Yeah feels like Im watching Thunderbirds or something lol
thunderbirds-day-e1559041166864.jpg

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They mentioned that they increased the difficulty for the demo

I know, but they still hit like trucks despite me grinding some levels, changing jobs and equipping pretty great stuff.
Also, I'm not sure if increasing the difficulty was a good idea in terms of attracting more potential buyers.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love the character designs here, but seems Im of the only ones that do.
Also the bosses designs have so much fucking charm.

FFIX artsyle should never die.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The environments look incredible.

The character models... less so.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
The enemy models look incredible and extremely charming.

Power creep is quick. After leveling up around five times I could pretty much destroy the whole map in one trip.

You can tell the black mage outfit was inspired by Ardyn.

Movement feels weird. Slashing grass is janky.

Voice acting is serviceable.

Some menuing in battle needs to be improved.

Everything else is great.

Oct 27, 2017
The style may have worked on the 3DS with low poly models but here everythign about the characters just looks wrong. They should've gone for something that is more in line with their artworks.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Weirdly enough, I think the chibi style works well for the monsters. But the characters look out of place. Won't stop me from buying, though, I like what I see otherwise.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017

This is how I feel, can't stand the character models. It was fine for the 3DS but for this it is very off putting to me.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
After playing the demo some more I'm really hyped for this one. Going to play it
Properly the next few days and write my feedback to them. The rpg elements are all pretty great but the UI needs some work. Also it should be more easy to dodge enemies.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After playing the demo some more I'm really hyped for this one. Going to play it
Properly the next few days and write my feedback to them. The rpg elements are all pretty great but the UI needs some work. Also it should be more easy to dodge enemies.
Yeah, the enemies are way too fast and see you from miles away.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Like everyone has been saying, the character models are eh (they're growing on me though) but GODDAMN the environments are freakin' stunning. Looove the artstyle

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You can hold down the A button to quickly select the same action. Everything else I agree with. Especially the over reliance on plus and minus buttons.
Nice. It's not as elegant as you still have to Brave first (which can be done in any submenu at least) and then ff through menus, but it's workable. Just bizarre to have a much of usability BACKTRACKS when the 3DS games flowed fairly quickly and well.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
What's your team comp looking like?

I'm running

Vanguard Seth
W.Mage Gloria
Monk Adelle
B.Mage Elvis

I didn't have time to check the base stats so I don't know if this is optimal lol

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
The menu looks gorgeous, but I have a ton of issues with the UX so far.
  • The tooltips block tons of actual information. You can turn them off in the settings, but I want to read them, just not ALL THE TIME. In the 3DS games, you just pressed L I think to toggle them.
  • Takes too long to set jobs, especially primary due to the model changing animation. Same applies to changing equipment EVEN THOUGH the clothing model doesn't update anyway!
  • Too much reliance on -/+ buttons. They're high up on the joycons and I dislike having to HOLD + to view my ability descriptions. Feels physically cumbersome.
  • You can't easily see how your stats change when unequipping, since you just press - with no other menuing.
In battle:
  • Can't Default with L anymore (at least in two-handed mode).
  • Can't easily repeat an action 4 times. In the 3DS games, before confirming a single action, you could use R to duplicate it for the turn. Now, you have to Brave x4 -> (select ability -> select target) x4. You can brave x4 -> hold the A button for duplicating actions.
UX is some of the stuff I'd expect to be in a rougher state right now, and some of the stuff I'd most expect to change from demo feedback, so I'm not too worried. But yeah usability is rough rn.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Finished the demo. This can be one of if not the best JRPG on the switch. There are some quality of life things that they can look into in the survey, but what they have now is a really good game. Can't wait for the release!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This game looks incredibly bad. Like spectacularly terrible to look at. Tokyo RPG Factory unironically made something better looking and more inspired with Oninaki, which wasn't a high point to begin with.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
What's your team comp looking like?

I'm running

Vanguard Seth
W.Mage Gloria
Monk Adelle
B.Mage Elvis

I didn't have time to check the base stats so I don't know if this is optimal lol
The boss fight at the end of the demo was though so I maxed out white mage and black mage on both Gloria and Elvis. Gave them the appropriate skills too.

Also maxed Vanguard on Adelle for that crit dmg boost skill.

In the end it was Vanguard - Seth, Black Mage - Gloria, Monk - Adelle, Black Mage - Elvis.

Didn't really need a dedicated white mage, so just went with two black mages with maxed out white mage seconday for the healing.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
This game looks incredibly bad. Like spectacularly terrible to look at. Tokyo RPG Factory unironically made something better looking and more inspired with Oninaki, which wasn't a high point to begin with.
Sorry but I totally do not agree with this. I'm absolutely loving the visuals. It might be because of the art style, but I can't see how anyone can look at the game and call it bad looking.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but I totally do not agree with this. I'm absolutely loving the visuals. It might be because of the art style, but I can't see how anyone can look at the game and call it bad looking.
The art style is terrible. I think you can easily see how bad looking it is. A lot of sheen

This shit hurts extra considering Bravely Default had an art style. Guess this is what happens when you don't call back Yoshida

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
90 mins into the demo. it's gorgeous and the character models are growing on me, but i'm not a fan of how this one handles turns individually this time around. also echoing the sentiment that the overworld monsters fly at you WAY too fast and trying to hit them is clunky as all hell. also kind of shocked at how much pop-in there is when the game loads into the desert, but it loads pretty fast so if that's the necessary trade-off then i'll settle

i'm gonna give it the whole demo, but so far i'm not clicking with the english dub this time around, which is a shame bc both past entries had really great ones! also bummed that no more random encounters means likely no more toggle to 0% for exploration purposes. i'd also really like to see a sidequest/subquest log, or am i just completely missing it somewhere? though i don't think the first two games had one either...

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Just beat the Thief Boss, Holy shit he was really hard, especially compared to Jackal in the first two games, he has a ton of HP and does massive damage to people who aren't defaulting, and a lot of his attacks heal him a good amount, massive battle of attrition, and the lack of a save point before him was really annoying, unless I somehow missed them, there was a heal spot but no save points
You can save on the heal spot. Just stand on the heal spot and you should be able to save.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to view the world map besides the little compass in the corner? I went exploring a bit too far afield and couldn't find my way back to the town.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
90 mins into the demo. it's gorgeous and the character models are growing on me, but i'm not a fan of how this one handles turns individually this time around. also echoing the sentiment that the overworld monsters fly at you WAY too fast and trying to hit them is clunky as all hell. also kind of shocked at how much pop-in there is when the game loads into the desert, but it loads pretty fast so if that's the necessary trade-off then i'll settle

i'm gonna give it the whole demo, but so far i'm not clicking with the english dub this time around, which is a shame bc both past entries had really great ones! also bummed that no more random encounters means likely no more toggle to 0% for exploration purposes. i'd also really like to see a sidequest/subquest log, or am i just completely missing it somewhere? though i don't think the first two games had one either...
The VA for the Irish/British guy seems way too forced in my opinion. The Japanese dub is alright so far, no stand out preformances at least.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the demo.

On the negatives:
-The game is a technical mess. It stutters a lot and it's awfully blurry in battle. I really hope the final version is better on that front.
-Ennemies are way too quick out of battle, it's frankly obnoxious.
-Really dislike the art as a whole, the environments are particulary ugly.
-Side quests are awful. Grinding for ages because the enemy doesn't want to drop the specific item you need is tedious.
-The writing was incredibly boring but it's a demo so whatever.

On the positives:
-The OST is fantastic. The battle theme in particular is stellar, it's basically a love letter to Final Fantasy 5.
-Battle system is fun when you don't get one shotted by ennemies.
-The job system seems solid even though it doesn't seem to do anything special yet.

I really hope the final game will be much better than the demo tbh, I don't think it's that good so far.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Weird that you can no longer look at enemy stats in battle anymore. Jobs also no longer affect armor compatibility.

Tooltips are also mandatory to be kept on because there doesn't seem to be a way to know what any of your abilities do in battle outside of memorizing them all. Also buying equipment from the shop hides a few stats from you without tooltips.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The art style is terrible. I think you can easily see how bad looking it is. A lot of sheen

This shit hurts extra considering Bravely Default had an art style. Guess this is what happens when you don't call back Yoshida
Yoshida was the character artist. He had nothing to do with the background art in BD.

Funnily enough, Ikushima, who replaced Yoshida for BD2, worked on the background art in BD :^)

monali

Mar 8, 2020

Yoshida is my favorite artist ever, but the artists of BDII are incredible too, they have done most of the art in the last installments beside the main characters of the franchise and they are the main artists of Octopath Traveler too.