• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They barely look different from Yoshida's BD characters. Well, with the exception of the missing juicy thighs. Is that why you're frustrated?
Yes I am in dire needs of thighs, that's why I'm complaining about the art style............

In any case, there is a huge difference from Yoshida's artworks. Dunno how they would look any similar

2586843-4554075089-brave.jpg

GSneQjv.png

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
They should look at how Radiant Historia does overworld mobs. You can stun them and they don't chase you for long let alone so fast.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I am in dire needs of thighs, that's why I'm complaining about the art style............

In any case, there is a huge difference from Yoshida's artworks. Dunno how they would look any similar

2586843-4554075089-brave.jpg

GSneQjv.png

Why are you suddenly talking about character illustrations? You were complaining about the in-game visuals looking bad.
And again, the 3D character models barely look different. You even posted a picture of Tiz in the previous page, which further shows it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you suddenly talking about character illustrations? You were complaining about the in-game visuals looking bad.
And again, the 3D character models barely look different. You even posted a picture of Tiz in the previous page, which further shows it.
I'm talking about the character designs and also how they're displayed in-game. They are both disappointing to me and the only thing they have in common is the chibi character style. Other than that, it's markedly worse and hardly similar. I don't see the same amount of cohesiveness than what I've played of Default.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the character designs and also how they're displayed in-game. They are both disappointing to me and the only thing they have in common is the chibi character style. Other than that, it's markedly worse and hardly similar. I don't see the same amount of cohesiveness than what I've played of Default.
...?
Sorry, I'm really not seeing what you're going for.
In terms of character illustrations, I agree, Yoshida is better than Ikushima. But in terms of the 3D models, the BD 2 models really look like a seamless adaption of the BD1 one's, general style and everything.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Made it to the dungeon boss and got schooled, might have to level up a second white mage.

Gonna come back to it later, but so far I really liked the demo. My complaints would be:
  • Music stopping abruptly when entering new areas
  • Let us check turn order
  • Change it so we can choose commands for the whole party at once
  • L to default
  • Night day cycle is too fast
  • Battles take too long to start
  • Larger world/dungeon maps
  • Enemies can catch up to you too quickly on overworld
Did I miss anything?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
...?
Sorry, I'm really not seeing what you're going for.
In terms of character illustrations, I agree, Yoshida is better than Ikushima. But in terms of the 3D models, the BD 2 models really look like a seamless adaption of the BD1 one's, general style and everything.
I heavily disagree but I will not go on any further on this. Just that I find it a marked step down in nearly every way that is related to the art style.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I just explored the opening town and did a few battles outside but I like the look of the game so far.

It's like playing in interactive concept art.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pros:
  • Music
  • Environments
  • Combat system (which is why I love BD to begin with)
  • The characters
Cons
  • That ugly saturated, sepia-shade look that really ruins looking at menus
  • The menus are ugly as all hell compared to BDFF

I think if they continue working on the models and get rid of the ugly menus and go for a simple look (I get it. They want it to look like a book. It can look like a book without me needing to squint or adjust my Switch because it looks like somebody tampered with my color settings and I can't see anything anymore), this game will look fantastic.

Also, thank you sweet baby jesus for Revo coming back.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Made it to the dungeon boss and got schooled, might have to level up a second white mage.

Gonna come back to it later, but so far I really liked the demo. My complaints would be:
  • Music stopping abruptly when entering new areas
  • Let us check turn order
  • Change it so we can choose commands for the whole party at once
  • L to default
  • Night day cycle is too fast
  • Battles take too long to start
  • Larger world/dungeon maps
  • Enemies can catch up to you too quickly on overworld
Did I miss anything?
Some UX things like skill/equipment info being annoying, but your list is pretty much all my complaints. Most of it seems fixable, so I hope they go with it.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This is a really cool game and in the running for my favorite BD game going off the demo so far, but did anyone else get absolutely wrecked by the wasps in the ruins? I did the wolf pelt quest, came here, and am getting tossed around like a rag doll by these things.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Remember folks, make your thoughts known about things you'd like to see adjusted.

The team is real good about listening to criticisms and trying to make adjustments.

Oct 31, 2017
This game looks incredibly bad. Like spectacularly terrible to look at. Tokyo RPG Factory unironically made something better looking and more inspired with Oninaki, which wasn't a high point to begin with.

From what I've seen of Tokyo RPGF games, they're probably wishing they made something this good looking to be honest ! :D

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Never played any of the games in this series but just played the demo for a couple hours and I'm definitely interested. It's scratching that classic JRPG itch.

Does anyone know if they have said how many job classes are in the game?

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
Am I the only one finding it a bit tough at first? I mean I'm enjoying it, but a few good hits and you're out.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The beginning of the demo said they adjusted the difficulty to be harder than default to get people to play around with the job system. Everyone starts out as a Freelancer but you're free to go in and choose a main and sub job for each person off the bat, though you only get a selection of 4 jobs for the demo.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
is the original on the 3DS still worth playing?

Yes, the game is wonderful! I know people speak ill about the entire middle section of the game and 5pb's...reliance on certain tropes in their stories, but you can skip out on a lot of that if you want to. The payout at the end is worth it imo.

Bravely Second, though? While I find the cast to be interesting, that game's writing is trash. Getting rid of the original writers and Revo being unable to do the music for that game really hurt that game. Gameplay's still a blast, though.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Finally started the demo, only 20 minutes in. So far, the art and music is top tier, absolutely love it. In addition, I love how the towns have more exploration compared to the past Bravely games.

However, as much as good this game looks even in handheld, the blur you get when running in towns gives me a headache, this is a first for me. Also, why the hell is the day and night cycle so short like holy hell lol.

There's a lot of improvements to made but you guys literally said all the issues I had so far.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Tried out the demo! Have some mixed opinions.

- Really unsure about how characters take turns individually instead of choosing everyone's actions together for a round. I've always liked individual-turn style of combat less. In the past Bravely games it's really fun to plan and execute on party-wide combos during rounds, which is going to be harder now. I'm not going to judge too hard before playing more of the game though.

- Visuals don't look great to me. The city environment is beautiful but otherwise I'm not a huge fan. Characters are kind of small on screen and things look a bit blurry, it feels kind of hard to see sometimes.

- Music is great.

- Characters feel like they take a bit too strongly after the Bravely Default party. Maybe they will become more unique later in the story though.

- Please give us the option to avoid enemy encounters. This was like one of the best things about Bravely Default.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the boss wrecked my ass, I could only bring his HP down to 13000. I reckon what to do with my party to make it easier, but I don't feel like grinding JPs right now.
Overall good demo. There are a few things that need to be adressed, though.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Seriously, listen to how FF5ish it sounds :

I instantly got FF5 vibes as well. Obviously it sounds like BD music too, but there's definite similarities to FF5's battle theme near the start.

Haven't finished the demo yet but I have to say I'm really not feeling the menus (too cluttered, constant tool tips covering everything, colour scheme makes things hard to read), running around feels too floaty, and the characters seem annoying but obviously it's just a demo and the story in this is separate from the main game. But Elvis...I'm all for Scottish characters, but his voice really doesn't suit his look. It feels wrong.

Going to go back and finish the demo off.

Titbit.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
- Characters feel like they take a bit too strongly after the Bravely Default party. Maybe they will become more unique later in the story though.

Honestly, I'm hoping the similarities are because they are intentionally hiding their personalities since this story was crafted strictly for the demo.