• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.famitsu.com

新作スマホ用RPG『ブレイブリーデフォルト ブリリアントライツ』発表。シリーズオールスターが登場&おなじみのバトルシステムをスマートフォン向けに最適化 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

スクウェア・エニックスは、2021年7月14日(水)、"ブレイブリー"シリーズ10周年記念企画として、スマートフォン向けの最新作『ブレイブリーデフォルト ブリリアントライツ』(BRAVELY DEFAULT BRILLIANT LIGHTS)を発表した。
deepl translation:
Beginning with "Bravely Default," which was released in 2012, the RPG series has sold more than 3 million units in total worldwide shipments and downloads.

BD2 has sold more than 600K copies apparently
If you look at series sales section the total between 3 sku's (Bravely Default, Bravely Default: For The Sequel and Bravely Second: End Layer) was 2.400.000.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Series deserves more than that.

I have both of the first two games.

Still need to get BD2.

Wish they ported them over to more platforms - would double dip.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a potentially disappointing performance for BD2, if accurate. Hopefully Team Asano's HD-2D efforts keep up their success.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Series deserves more than that.

I have both of the first two games.

Still need to get BD2.

Wish they ported them over to more platforms - would double dip.

BD is one of those series that sold well by accident.
By that, I mean that Square-Enix did everything in their power to make sure it doesn't sell and yet it managed to.
Square-Enix really is that bad with some of their IPs, doing their best to prevent them from making money and selling. They make quality stuff but their higher up does everything in their power to kill the sales.

Seems like a sad performance for BD2, if accurate. Hopefully Team Asano's HD-2D efforts keep up their success.

How is that bad ? The game released less than 6 months ago and might reach a million units someday.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a sad performance for BD2, if accurate. Hopefully Team Asano's HD-2D efforts keep up their success.

600k is the bare minimum, from the data we have
even if it clearly dind't reach the 1mil milestone yet
so it could be even, I don't know, 889k sold
looking at previous games sales, not bad (it probably already sold as much as the second game, and will still sell for many months, with discounts and so on...it even was in the best selling chart on the eShop for the first half of this year)

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I have mixed reaction on the sales. On one hand BD2 sales seem decent and good for a new JRPG entry, of it were Falcom or Bamco, but since this is SE where anything less than 1 million sales for a game is considered a flop, then chances of a BD3 are slim at most, unless Nintendo funds it

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
A bit sad BD II is having trouble to reach 1M but it'll get there eventually, and yes I agree it deserve more.
As a big fan of FF V, Bravely Default is all I wanted from Square Enix.
BD is one of those series that sold well by accident.
By that, I mean that Square-Enix did everything in their power to make sure it doesn't sell and yet it managed to.
Square-Enix really is that bad with some of their IPs, doing their best to prevent them from making money and selling. They make quality stuff but their higher up does everything in their power to kill the sales.
This is so true it hurts, the marketing of BD II was super weird.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I wish BD2 could have met the same fate as Octopath Traveler. That one exceeded all expectations and became Team Asano best selling game, even outperforming the DS FF remakes.
BD2 is a very very good game. I wonder if the puppet like characters were that off putting that they turned some people off the game. It seems like a common complaint.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The series truly deserves better. If only everyone who has been complaining online about how "Final Fantasy has sucked since ____" actually went out and bought Bravely Default games.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised by BDII performance. It was a pretty mediocre game. And on top of it not having much pre-release hype around it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Currently 27 hours in, and BD2 is a really great game so far. Hopefully it can do quite a bit more, and hopefully it's close to 1M already. The game definitely deserves it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
A bit sad BD II is having trouble to reach 1M but it'll get there eventually, and yes I agree it deserve more.
As a big fan of FF V, Bravely Default is all I wanted from Square Enix.

This is so true it hurts, the marketing of BD II was super weird.

It's not only BDII, it even goes back to BD1.

When Bravely Default first released, it was outsold in Japan. You couldn't even get the game for a while. Despite huge demand, Square-Enix didn't want to bring it in the West, until Nintendo did. Bravely Default sold well, Square's reaction was to release a low budget sequel, instead of trying to make it bigger.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Pretty decent for a overall mediocre saga. BD on 3ds was good if you are a hardcore JRPG fan, despite its "second act". BD second and BD2 just range from average to bad.

Of course there will be people that enyojed them (I enjoyed the first one), because they are indeed enjoyable, but sadly the last 2 games are very far from good games.

SE will probably put this in the desk and forget about it unless Nintendo wants to make something with the series.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
That's... Good, I hope? After the first game being a million seller (with 2 sku but still) and the switch success I definitely thought this would reach one million copies way sooner than what we got apparently

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I'll forever wonder what the series could have become with the slightest bit more faith, time and money put in. Even going back to the very first Bravely Default a small increase in budget would have made huge difference, but Bravely Second and Bravely Default 2 only made the issue worse.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
BD II is a good game, but not very ambitious and more of the same. The ip hasbudget problems.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I wish BD2 could have met the same fate as Octopath Traveler. That one exceeded all expectations and became Team Asano best selling game, even outperforming the DS FF remakes.
BD2 is a very very good game. I wonder if the puppet like characters were that off putting that they turned some people off the game. It seems like a common complaint.
I'm convinced the visuals were off-putting to a lot of people which led to less sales, yeah. Would it sell 2m if it looked different? Probably not. But I can see it being over 1m by now if it wasn't for the visuals.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Deserves a lot more, especially both Second and Default 2.

Default 2 should definitely exceed 1m though. There's a Steam version yet to come, at the very least.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm convinced the visuals were off-putting to a lot of people which led to less sales, yeah. Would it sell 2m if it looked different? Probably not. But I can see it being over 1m by now if it wasn't for the visuals.
I think they also somewhat messed up the demo for this game. The combat was a bit hard to get into multiple hours into the game, and they bumped up the difficulty to boot. I can see that having turned off some people as well, in addition to other appeal issues that the game has. The Octopath Traveler demo (and the Project Triangle Strategy one as well) gave an easily comprehensible sample of the game that gave a good look into the core features of the games (multiple storylines for OT, turn-based strategy and story choices for TS). I feel those got the idea of the game across much better, whereas the BD2 one was more confusing.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I think they also somewhat messed up the demo for this game. The combat was a bit hard to get into multiple hours into the game, and they bumped up the difficulty to boot. I can see that having turned off some people as well, in addition to other appeal issues that the game has. The Octopath Traveler demo (and the Project Triangle Strategy one as well) gave an easily comprehensible sample of the game that gave a good look into the core features of the games (multiple storylines for OT, turn-based strategy and story choices for TS). I feel those got the idea of the game across much better, whereas the BD2 one was more confusing.
Agreed. Even as someone familiar with the series and Asano's games in general, I found the BD2 demo to be a bit "too much". It simply didn't do the best job selling people on the game.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's half a miracle that BD2 still managed to sell this much after how they botched the release. Great game, hopefully more people give it a try and aren't put off by the artstyle.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I have mixed reaction on the sales. On one hand BD2 sales seem decent and good for a new JRPG entry, of it were Falcom or Bamco, but since this is SE where anything less than 1 million sales for a game is considered a flop, then chances of a BD3 are slim at most, unless Nintendo funds it

SE does not consider anything below 1M a flop, where is that nonsense coming from. This isn't PS3 Square Enix. For example Nier Automata vastly exceeded expectations when it hit 1M sold.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's half a miracle that BD2 still managed to sell this much after how they botched the release. Great game, hopefully more people give it a try and aren't put off by the artstyle.
Yeah SE really set it up for failure. I love the game, but the art style is still very off putting, and the marketing was a mess all around.

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
I've been waiting for the announcement of BDII having sold a million copies.

Guess I'll keep waiting then.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Bravely Default 2 is a gem, probably the most fun I've had with a game this year.
More people should play it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I completely fell in love with BD2 this year after somehow missing the previous games. Don't know how.

I love BD2.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Bravely Default II started strong but began to drag. That game is far too drawn out. It's a 30 hour game bloated to a 50+ hour game.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still need to get BD 2, having really enjoyed the other two. This is one of those JRPGs where I really liked the 40 dollar price point of the 3DS.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Purely anectodal but I've seen zero to no word of mouth for BD2 compared to BD1 that popped up a lot more back then, at least for me.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I should get around these games someday. The BD2 demo was fun.

A lot of the discourse about the game around here was the visuals.
Not sure if that reflected worldwide but it's a strange situation because I loved the "sameface" characters back in FF3, but they feel out of place in BD2. Perhaps it's because they take center stage now, or that their default posing and expressions don't reflect that well what the characters are about.
Final-Fantasy-III-DS.jpeg
Bravely-Default-2-art.jpg

ff3_01_05.jpg
iu

Jul 7, 2021
Love the games. Was kinda skeptical if Bravely Default II would deliver, but it did and then some. Hopefully it meets Square Enix's expectations and we'll see future entries.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Did my part in happily picking up BD2 new recently. Can't wait to try it when get home since I have a little bit of time the next day or two.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Purely anectodal but I've seen zero to no word of mouth for BD2 compared to BD1 that popped up a lot more back then, at least for me.
It's not just you, Square Enix did a poor job marketing this game, this is very similar to when they localize mainline Dragon Quest.
There was also no part in the game where you have to do the same thing 4 times in a row so no controversy and less people talking about the game in general.
Love the games. Was kinda skeptical if Bravely Default II would deliver, but it did and then some.
I agree, this game was much better than the 1 and Second, I was surprised by how good the story was.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just you, Square Enix did a poor job marketing this game, this is very similar to when they localize mainline Dragon Quest.
There was also no part in the game where you have to do the same thing 4 times in a row so no controversy and less people talking about the game in general.

I agree, this game was much better than the 1 and Second, I was surprised by how good the story was.

To be fair it's not all on Square Enix. Nintendo was publisher in North America and Europe.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
To be fair it's not all on Square Enix. Nintendo was publisher in North America and Europe.
And they started the marketing extremely late, iirc. I do think they failed the game a bit, tbf, and that they probably didn't want to push it too much while still marketing SM3DW before. Four weeks later was MH Rise, too...

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Word of mouth is not something SE his control over. BD2 just didn't create as much of a post release buzz as the original which people were extremely positive about.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And they started the marketing extremely late, iirc. I do think they failed the game a bit, tbf, and that they probably didn't want to push it too much while still marketing SM3DW before. Four weeks later was MH Rise, too...

The delay from 2020 probably didn't help.
Word of mouth is not something SE his control over. BD2 just didn't create as much of a post release buzz as the original which people were extremely positive about.

Not on here(/GAF) it wasn't. =P

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, the marketing was rather poor for the game, unfortunately. But reception in terms of Metascore is also significantly lower with 76 vs. BD1's 85, so the general reception is probably to blame as well.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why we're back to talking about BD2 as if it's a massive failure though tbh. It's probably done firmly okay so far and definitely isn't done yet.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

we just got a sequel, with brand new engine/asset, after Bravely Second 700k LT sales
BDII is already in line with that and stay reassured that it will continue selling (some "k") for awhile, especially with digital discounts going on (something that wasn't a factor back in the days)
And they just announced another mobile project (cheering up the 3 millions milestone at the same time) so I wouldn't be worried about a possible new "Second-like" project (on Switch, in 2023)