• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear, if Skullgirls had been a platform fighter instead of a MvC2 clone, half this forum would call its characters "generic".
Nah. Skullgirls had a bunch of sexualised female characters and an interesting artstyle, would have been better received than this even if it were a Smash clone instead of a MvC2 clone. This just screams "generic".

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I really want this to be good, I have four switch controllers and need more good party games

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Not when most of the scene is composed of arrogant assholes like your post clearly indicates.

Wow, generalizing me, my friends, and an entire community as arrogant assholes based solely on a post on a forum. Great look here.

How come disfiguring and perverting the game's original design suddenly something completely acceptable that even "appeals" to casuals? No matter how much new gimmicks it has, it still represents less than half of what the Smash fanbase truly wants, and it's pretty clear from the very start that PM was born from the desires of a very niche, nitpicky group of those fans. Treating them all the same and assuming PM can be "universally enjoyed" just because of minor details like these is definitely something that doesn't work, and something I learned far back in the Smash Bros subreddit.

Does it matter that its a mod, or that it appeals to what any of the what the Smash fanbase wants? Im going to make a bold claim here.

Project M can be universally enjoyed, because you can do an all out, 4 player battle with your favorite Nintendo characters. You can pick up items to gain the edge on your foes, and choose stages from your favorite franchises.

Can you in any way explain how this is unfun, or in the words of your original post, what was excluded to make this less fun than in any other context?

Brauni

Dec 4, 2017
Wanted to wait with posting until I can decide on an avatar, but meh whatever :D

Played it at two consecutive gamescoms with my friends and we all really did like it. (Personally, the first time was my highlight of the show, especially chatting with one of the devs)

@gameexplain review: I am surprised, that they are surprised it's a smash clone. Of course it is!
And I don't think there is a better smash clone out there. Hope it sells well on switch

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay wise, how close is it to Melee?

I'm not an expert and I can't comment on all the super technical stuff, but as a casual player it *feels* closer to Melee than Brawl or Smash 4. It's kind of fast and TTK is definitely on par with Melee.

As far as the differences go, biggest one would be the lack of shield and regular throws. Instead, it has dodges, special grabs and a meter that you can spend for a sort of a Guilty Gear burst when half full or for rage mode when full.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
It is closer to PlayStation Battle All-Stars than it is to Melee, imo.

Thanks for the feedback Ababol and Natedrake.

Slightly dissapointed about it though, the shield and grab mechanics are crucial to what make Smash enjoyable for me. I quite like the character designs though and the animations are more fluid than other platform fighters.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looked fine from the trailer but I can't remember seeing any power ups or weapons or such. That would be a huge oversight and I'm guessing minimize longevity with casuals.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How come disfiguring and perverting the game's original design suddenly something completely acceptable that even "appeals" to casuals? No matter how much new gimmicks it has, it still represents less than half of what the Smash fanbase truly wants, and it's pretty clear from the very start that PM was born from the desires of a very niche, nitpicky group of those fans. Treating them all the same and assuming PM can be "universally enjoyed" just because of minor details like these is definitely something that doesn't work, and something I learned far back in the Smash Bros subreddit.

Uhh broham?, the game's original design did have some major flaws. And I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed the removal of random tripping.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna do pretty well digital wise i think, especially since it can be a temporary smash fix untill the real game drops.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
But Playtation All-Stars Battle Royale is a Smash clone, so that would be cloning a clone and does that mean that both are pieces of shit? :P
movieposter.jpg

everyone knows clones get dumber and dumber as they are made

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
True. Forgot about that. Then maybe this game allows itself to be a little more silly and casual than a regular Melee clone wouldn't dare to.
So Melee wasn't successful with casual players? Smash wasn't a beloved game until Brawl then? And Melee wasn't silly with Pichu vs Ganondorf using silly items?

Not when most of the scene is composed of arrogant assholes like your post clearly indicates.
You're the one who started with the poor attitude..

Jesus.. The entitlement and hypocrisy of this post is astounding.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I was on the JPN eShop and uhh... Apparently Brawlout is, well, out? Lol

RoOvVi4.jpg

It's not out on the US eShop, though.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Jesus.. The entitlement and hypocrisy of this post is astounding.
Basically why they weren't worth responding to, lol.

I really think the comparisons to PSASBR is ridiculous. I saw it in the other thread, there really isn't anything that similar aside from the fact that they are both platform fighters. Burst can be used aggressively and defensively and players can be edge guarded at low percents. PSASBR you needed to use meter to kill characters and combos only existed to build meter faster. The pace and feel of the game is definitely closer to PM then Melee, but not even in the same realm as PSASBR. I guess the characters do look like generic PS2 era designs, but that's really about it.

Hope people give it a fair shot, it's definitely more accessible than Melee and PM if that makes people feel better.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I preloaded this and bought Hammerwatch for some multiplayer with my girlfriend on my flight tomorrow.

Any idea when it's supposed to go live? I'm leaving at around 7 tomorrow for Cincinatti. I'd like it to be fully up before then.

KingBean

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The game is fast and feels pretty decent to play. But and this is a big but, it hitches every few seconds in handheld mode. It's pretty jarring to be mid combo of trying to reach a ledge and then the match jumps forward about a second. Ive only played quick matches against the cpu.

If that gets patched up I think I'd enjoy it.