• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
About to start! Any direct is great and welcomed. I bought Dandara and it was great.

OP
OP
Heruderu

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Sony assembles the PS4 Slim here, can't recall about the Pro. Microsoft assembles both S and X here and it has the lowest MSRP, but Sony dominates the market because the gray marketed PS4 sells.fpr basically the same price, so it's a branding problem (although the 360 dominated the market on its era, mainly because of piracy).
Even assembling, they still import parts as they don't produce the cpus, gpus, RAM or storage here, so they need to import either way.

Pirated Direct, how sad...
Seriously?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
They used a lot of Nintendo's branding...

I dont know about that, but I am liking what I am seeing.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
For any Brazilians on Era, what Nintendo Switch games are Brazilians who have a Switch playing with ease vs. the Switch games they can't play because of language restrictions? I find it crazy that Nintendo has no presence in what is the world's 16th prominent nation on earth. It would be like Walt Disney no longer having a presence in the U.S..

And how comparable are the language barriers for Brazilians playing in English / Spanish as opposed to North Americans who try to play Japanese RPGS?
16th? By economy? Cause Brazil is the 5th most populous nation in the world and Portuguese is the 7th most spoken language in the world.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Actually, the art is. Miniboss is a brazilian studio responsible for the art of Celeste and Towerfall.
I think this gen Brazil became lowkey my favorite place where games are made.
It's baffling that large publishers don't have a larger presence in the country when the devs there are making some seriously great content.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a really good direct. I was impressed with the quality of it and how they nailed down Nintendo's format to a T.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling that large publishers don't have a larger presence in the country when the devs there are making some seriously great content.
And maybe never will

Taxes here are absurd for everyone

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
And maybe never will

I knew about Dandarra being from Brazil,
Heck it's part of the reason I bought it in the 1st place (and that was a seriously great idea, fantastic game).
I know that the situation may not be ideal for a reasoned official to try to work out good condition to help the industry there but seriously this opened my eyes on how good Brazil is at producing games.
I really hope that this situation is solved somehow, I'm not even sure if I have time to do anything to help but this needs more support.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
Even assembling, they still import parts as they don't produce the cpus, gpus, RAM or storage here, so they need to import either way.

Yes but taxes for imported parts with the objective of assembling are way lower in comparison to a final product not assembled/manufactured around here.

I can't recall the reason, or the % for that matter, but as long as the final product has a certain % of parts manufactured here, assembling becomes way cheaper than importing the final product. And it can be any part. Computer manufacturers like Dell usually manufactures the motherboard PCB here to achieve that.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Celeste is from Brazil?
Woah!
Momodora I'm gonna pick for sure.
Celeste is from Brazillian artist? What? Amazing man!

Anyway, momodora seems nice!

OskMawm.png

Amora and Pedro are brazilian, they made basically all the non 3d pixels there

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

It is funny that when ubisoft oepend a studio here for a small time they only gave them minor DS games like 2 games from the Imagine Series and the DS port of the michael jackson music game (which they turned into an awesome Elite Beat Agents clone) and because of that you have stuff like this on mobygames

Yk4QRS8.png

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Momodora is brazilian? Rougue legacy too? Maybe just had brazllians on their teams, i guess.

But i didn't know about that mailman game. Cool.

It is funny that when ubisoft oepend a studio here for a small time they only gave them minor DS games like 2 games from the Imagine Series and the DS port of the michael jackson music game (which they turned into an awesome Elite Beat Agents clone) and because of that you have stuff like this on mobygames

Yk4QRS8.png
WHAT???!!!!!

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Their presence is pretty decent, sony and microsoft had a thing where they offered dev kits to people and that's pretty much how most of the games around here went to consoles

Nintendo though.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Oct 25, 2017
And maybe never will

It's funny you say that when Ubisoft regularly releases localized version of collector editions of their games (over R$300) and fucking Razer has official presence in the country; both sponsor influencers, make events, etc.

Momodora is brazilian? Rougue legacy too? Maybe just had brazllians on their teams, i guess.

But i didn't know about that mailman game. Cool.

WHAT???!!!!!
Game also had anti piracy protection involving vuvuzelas, guess why.
And yeah, Rogue Legacy pixel artist is a brazilian dude who started with Megaman X edits, made his own webcomic based on that, etc

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Yk4QRS8.png
This is glorious!
I'd say don't knock out lesser Ubi releases, they tend not to be from the most driven part of the company but you get some surprises!
Their presence is pretty decent, sony and microsoft had a thing where they offered dev kits to people and that's pretty much how most of the games around here went to consoles

Nintendo though.
Nintendo needs to up their game here, if Sony and MSFT can do it, surely Nintendo can provide something especially when the indie scene seems so ready to help push Nintendo as well.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of brazilian developers there's also the amazing devs at JoyMasher who just released the fantastic Blazing Chrome.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
They sorta made the studios go bankrupt, ubi in brazil was bad
The resume outline is glorious.
The fact that Ubisoft wasn't able to efficiently leverage its presence in Brazil is bad though, no question.
I'm gonna guess no one was asked on what project they wanted to work on either.
I don't imagine that people in Brazil were chomping at the bits to get a crack at Imagine series.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I really like seeing all of those great games grouped up together like that. Our indie scene has really come a long way since the early editions of BIG Festival.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Does Ninty translate their games to any Portuguese dialect? Don't remember ever seeing that.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny you say that when Ubisoft regularly releases localized version of collector editions of their games (over R$300) and fucking Razer has official presence in the country; both sponsor influencers, make events, etc.

Game also had anti piracy protection involving vuvuzelas, guess why.
And yeah, Rogue Legacy pixel artist is a brazilian dude who started with Megaman X edits, made his own webcomic based on that, etc
Is pretty different to what the person said

Is no where near large scale, or is not like we are producing AAA games here

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing Direct, perfect choice for the ending music.

I was shocked when I discovered Horizon Chase Turbo on the eShop while just watching some racing games trailer. I am glad that more people can see this, since Top Gear was pretty big in Brazil.

Parabéns pro pessoal que montou, vcs são foda.

JohnTH

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Does Ninty translate their games to any Portuguese dialect? Don't remember ever seeing that.

They used to:

I remember, back in the 3DS and Wii U days, when Nintendo would localise most of their games to European Portuguese. The catch was, this localisation was included only in the European editions, and those systems were region locked.

Now that the Switch is region-free, they also decided to drop European Portuguese from most games, including Mario. -_-

This is also why Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is in Portuguese: It's a port from the Wii U.

Best of luck to our Brazilians brothers, may their situation improve and bring back Portuguese to Nintendo games.

JohnTH

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Man, I was so surprised by the amount of games made in Brazil or by Brazilian devs. There's talent there <3
Also the Direct was really well put out. Very entertaining to watch and the host was cute.

ChaosSaga

Oct 25, 2017
Around Hyrule
My mother is a educational helper, she works with children with dificulteis in learning.

If there was a Portuguese language option she could use Labo her students...

Brazilian Market is growing in gaming spent, I hope nintendo start to see oportunities here.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For any Brazilians on Era, what Nintendo Switch games are Brazilians who have a Switch playing with ease vs. the Switch games they can't play because of language restrictions?

And how comparable are the language barriers for Brazilians playing in English / Spanish as opposed to Americans who try to play Japanese RPGS?
The language barrier is awful for children. I learned english while playing Pokemon Crystal, but before that I relegated plenty of games because I couldn't figure them out, especially A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger and all Final Fantasy games.

That influenced my preferences deeply: with the exception of Pokemon, I learned to only enjoy action packed, few dialogue games, and while I adore sidescrollers, I usually have a lot of trouble with non turn based over head games, like 2D Zeldas, like I never learned to play them properly.

Can you play RPG's in English, or is it a struggle?

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was thinking. Could some enterprising Brazilians make a Nintendo themed float at the next Carnaval in Rio? I saw their Star Wars themed float last year. Impressed. They even gave tribute to all eras, and even had samba dancing Ahsokas as part of the act.

Has there ever been videogame themed floats in Rio before? I'm sure we've had a few in the U.S. during the Macy's Thanksgiving celebration.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
5% of Brazil population knows english

I was addressing riq in particular, who seems to have good english based on his reply. Is Breath of the Wild playable if you can't understand the language? I've not had the chance to play BOTW yet. I don't know how text extensive the game is.

Back in my day, I imported a few japanese language games. Strider and Streets of Rage 1 for the Sega Genesis, and Contra 3 for the Super NES. I've never tried playing an RPG in a foreign language before. Is it next to impossible to complete them if you're committed enough?

Would a game like Arkham Knight be hard for a Brazilian to play if it had no portuguese audio or text? Would Mario Kart 8 be feasible under these conditions? I would think that Mario Kart would be hugely popular for Brazilian players. Same with Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I hope Nintendo doesn't do anything against them, as I think it's admirable that these devs and fans are showing their love and promoting something like this to show Nintendo how much interest there is in Brazil.

Also, this is my first thread in Resetera, so I'm sorry if it's not very good. Hopefully I get better lol

if the love doesn't exchange to money for nintendo (or any business for that matter), then the love is pointless.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I was addressing riq in particular, who seems to have good english based on his reply. Is Breath of the Wild playable if you can't understand the language? I've not had the chance to play BOTW yet. I don't know how text extensive the game is.

It is hard to get a good answer here because this forum has a pretty weird amount of brazilians ... like we all speak english in a way that hopefully native speakers can understand and we have money to follow a considerably expensive hobby.

But to aswer your question, while BoTW does not have walls of text, for everything except ONE quest it lacks the "go here for this quest" and suddenly an icon appears in your map. So you NEED to understand english to know what to do for basically every single quest.

riq

Feb 21, 2019

Back in my day, I imported a few japanese language games. Strider and Streets of Rage 1 for the Sega Genesis, and Contra 3 for the Super NES. I've never tried playing an RPG in a foreign language before. Is it next to impossible to complete them if you're committed enough?

Would a game like Arkham Knight be hard for a Brazilian to play if it had no portuguese audio or text? Would Mario Kart 8 be feasible under these conditions? I would think that Mario Kart would be hugely popular for Brazilian players. Same with Mario Odyssey.
Oh, yes. I was referring to when I was a kid and didn't know english and how that impacted my preferences even now that I can understand english.

I also have a younger brother who I introduced to Pokemon when he was 11. He knows nothing of english, and even though he could get through most of Sun without much trouble, he always had to ask me wether to make a Pokemon forget a move to learn another, since he couldn't understand what status moves do.

Last year he got interested in Xenoblade 2 but that game is an absolute no no for him, since he'd need to play the whome thing with a walkthrough.

Massive shoutouts to Team Cherry for including a brazillian portuguese translation that's pretty good overall, my brother is playing it currently and loving.

Edit: About BotW, I played it in english and didn't have any trouble, could understand everything. My brother had to switch to spanish, since there's a ton of overlap between it and portuguese.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

Im nor riq but try playing any of these games in italian or spanish and you'll undertand the sensation(unless you can speak those languages), english has a different logic from latin based languages, you'll understand a word ot two but you'll barely make sense out of it. My english drastically improved once i watched tv shows and played games, but i had great english teachers guiding me through the language's structure and the like, most people won't have that, they'll be lucky if they have the equivalent any american student has of a foreign language... most people will try their chances playing in spanish because it's sorta similar but not perfect, or just play through a game without understanding what's really going on. In a Role Playing Game, missing on the story is pretty much missing the point of playing it, y'know? Arkham knight is a no-no without subs

Mario kart is popular af, so is smash and mario games (where you can tell what's going on by just the animations), but it makes sense for someone like sony to localize all games because they're pretty dialogue heavy

Y'know, durin ps2 piracy heavy era, we had some fansubbed games, god of war 2 was one of those :p

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even think having portuguese localizations would help with the market here at this point. It has never been a barrier, all of us grew up knowing 0 english and we could play just fine, no one expect games to be in portuguese and I don't think a game would sell more because it's in portuguese (execpt for mass market casual games, like The Sims and mobile, but that's a differente audience).

Now, it would help a LOT if Nintendo's games didn't cost like 400 bucks here while PS4 games release at 150-200 and you can find them for like 70 bucks after a while.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Nintendo doesn't do anything against them, as I think it's admirable that these devs and fans are showing their love and promoting something like this to show Nintendo how much interest there is in Brazil.

Also, this is my first thread in Resetera, so I'm sorry if it's not very good. Hopefully I get better lol
Great thread, well explained.
Also their are going leagues and bounds to get a market for nintendo games and brazilian portuguese localization, so I applaud them.

OP
OP
Heruderu

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I don't even think having portuguese localizations would help with the market here at this point. It has never been a barrier, all of us grew up knowing 0 english and we could play just fine, no one expect games to be in portuguese and I don't think a game would sell more because it's in portuguese (execpt for mass market casual games, like The Sims and mobile, but that's a differente audience).

Now, it would help a LOT if Nintendo's games didn't cost like 400 bucks here while PS4 games release at 150-200 and you can find them for like 70 bucks after a while.
I've seen lots of people nowadays complaining the games aren't in Portuguese. Sony has a big presence here and people are now getting used to having big releases in Portuguese, and there are many complaints of Zelda not being localized.

Also, I'm sure it would help bring more kids to Nintendo systems.

Great thread, well explained.
Also their are going leagues and bounds to get a market for nintendo games and brazilian portuguese localization, so I applaud them.
Thank you! Hopefully this makes Nintendo reconsider their approach, but even if they don't, at least brazilian devs got to show more of their games to the brazilian audience. Now I'm eager to play Momodora and Chroma Squad on Switch.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the Direct. Parabéns, rapeize.

The most ironic thing is that most of our indie games are inspired by 16 bit classics exactly because of the accessibility that Gradiente's partnership with Nintendo back in the 90s/early 00s provided to consumers, and now that's all flipped on its head with the rest of the industry heavily capitalizing on one of the biggest gaming audiences of the world while Nintendo sits in the sidelines. We are probably the biggest retro heads in the world because of how much we care about these classics provided by the Big N and Sega, as well as their respective local partners Gradiente and Tec Toy.

Taxes or not, I still can't wrap my head over Nintendo's decision to leave the Brazilian market many years ago.
Do they actually want a couple millions of people pirating their games? Because that's what happens when you don't have official marketing for an international brand within a country with over 200 million people. It's 2019, no one is gonna stop playing Nintendo games there, they should just accept that and show some love for this colossal audience.

Since Japan HQ apparently doesn't give a damn about the BR market, Bowser should look into expanding there through NoA, if that's even possible.