• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen lots of people nowadays complaining the games aren't in Portuguese. Sony has a big presence here and people are now getting used to having big releases in Portuguese, and there are many complaints of Zelda not being localized.

Also, I'm sure it would help bring more kids to Nintendo systems.

Thank you! Hopefully this makes Nintendo reconsider their approach, but even if they don't, at least brazilian devs got to show more of their games to the brazilian audience. Now I'm eager to play Momodora and Chroma Squad on Switch.
I bought chroma squad on pc some time ago, didnt know it was made by brazillian drvs but that game is great.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Is importing from Europe an option? Those games should have a Portuguese translation, shouldn't they.

JohnTH

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No, importing isn't an option. They don't localize anything to Portuguese anymore (no Labo, no Mario). See my previous post. And even if they did, they would no longer lock them behind regions. See Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, available in Portuguese in Brazil too.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
No, importing isn't an option. They don't localize anything to Portuguese anymore (no Labo, no Mario). See my previous post. And even if they did, they would no longer lock them behind regions. See Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, available in Portuguese in Brazil too.

Sorry, missed you're post. I would have thought getting a PAL system and/or importing PAL games would be easy enough.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Being a Brazilian Nintendo fan since the 90s, I don't think localization is that big of a deal, really. It is a plus, especially text, but not a deal breaker. The main issue are the insane prices. Nintendo stuff is expensive everywhere, but here in Brazil it is a particular problem, because being imported + their niche nature makes retailers mark up the prices quite a bit when selling to final costumers. When you add that to the fact that Nintendo games never go down in price, it makes for some horrific stuff like Wii U games from 5 years ago costing R$260 (around $70). It doesn't help that Brazil's economy is in terrible shape right now.

Quite a few friends of mine expressed interested in buying a Switch, but won't do it because of the high prices of games and accessories.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think having portuguese localizations would help with the market here at this point. It has never been a barrier, all of us grew up knowing 0 english and we could play just fine, no one expect games to be in portuguese and I don't think a game would sell more because it's in portuguese (execpt for mass market casual games, like The Sims and mobile, but that's a differente audience).

Now, it would help a LOT if Nintendo's games didn't cost like 400 bucks here while PS4 games release at 150-200 and you can find them for like 70 bucks after a while.
While you are not wrong about pricing being a more urgent thing, language absolutely matters.
There is a reason every indie dev on Steam is looking for chinese, pt-br, russian, spanish, korean etc translations - and if they aren't, they are being spammed with requests for them.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
to put it simple, this unofficial "direct" ended up being a marketing platform for the youtuber who posted it - and the guy doesn't even live in Brazil.
What amazes me is that they put this unofficial video under a "national gaming" development banner and lots of people bought the idea without thinking twice. And worse of it, they were showing random indie games with one or two brazilian developers as if they were fully Brazilian made games (even Celeste got labeled as a Brazilian game). That kind of nationalism is just naive (unless the idea here is to deceive people) and will surely be negative to any platform they want to defend.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
And worse of it, they were showing random indie games with one or two brazilian developers as if they were fully Brazilian made games (even Celeste got labeled as a Brazilian game).

2 devs for the celeste team is like 1/3 of the main devs =P
One of the main chars is a brazilian xD

OskMawm.png

fepeinado

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
2 devs for the celeste team is like 1/3 of the main devs =P
One of the main chars is a brazilian xD

OskMawm.png
It's still not a Brazilian game. Now you guys are going to say that the Ice Age is a Brazilian movie or that the X-men is a Brazilian comic book because they have Brazilian characters

fepeinado

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
They wrote quite clearly "made in partnership with miniboss".
So? What's your point? I don't think you are talking about the same thing here.
What would you say regular folk thought when they saw the Direct? Sorry, but lots of people are defending something blindly and I still stand by what I've said before: they sold this "pirate direct" as some Brazilian pride stream, but mostly showcased games with one or two Brazilian developers on their staff - and this only ended up being a marketing platform for the youtuber host.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So? What's your point? I don't think you are talking about the same thing here.
What would you say regular folk thought when they saw the Direct? Sorry, but lots of people are defending something blindly and I still stand by what I've said before: they sold this "pirate direct" as some Brazilian pride stream, but mostly showcased games with one or two Brazilian developers on their staff - and this only ended up being a marketing platform for the youtuber host.

You can complain whatever you want about the youtuber or how it was made, but the ONLY games that are not majority of brazilians shown are

Celeste (All art and some concepts and instagram account)
Towerfall (All art and some concepts)
Full Metal Furies (1 artist)
Rogue Legacy (1 artist)
Chasm (1 artist)
Wargroove (1 lead dev and 1 artist)

that is IT.

Horizon Chase
Akane
Ninjin
Monica e a Guarda dos Coelhos
Oniken
Odallus
Blazing Chrome
Chroma Squad
Rocket Fist
Garden Paws
Warlock's Tower
Dandara
99 Vidas
mana Spark
cube puzzle thing
bullet hell collection
autorama simulator one

and others i forgot are either mostly brazilians or 100% brazilians (and I am not saying 100% brazilians because I don't know everyone on their teams and the composer for blazing chrome is european i think)

Last edited:

fepeinado

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
You can complain whatever you want about the youtuber or how it was made, but the ONLY games that are not majority of brazilians shown are
Celeste
Towerfall
Full Metal Furies
Rogue Legacy
Chasm
Wargroove

that is IT
That's great, and tbh I think ALL games presented are interesting. But, again, I don't feel the way they approached this was anywhere honest.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Would holding a massive Nintendo themed parade float at Rio's Carnaval help bolster any chances of Nintendo rethinking their stance on Brazil? There was a mass Star Wars float at this year's Carnaval spanning just about every Star Wars film except for Solo.

It blows my mind that Nintendo would completely overlook the Brazilian market altogether. It would be like no Disney in South America. Speaking of which, what is Nintendo's overall reach in the other South American countries? Chile, Bolovia, Columbia, and Venezuela come to mind. But Brazil spans such a huge geographical reach in South America altogether. It's crazy to think that the house of Mario and Zelda has written Brazil off as a huge loss.

Just look at this parade float. Quite an elaborate display. And they even celebrated the prequels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heruderu

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
You forgot the translation

He is saying some devs got contacted by nintendo saying "Congratulations on your inclusion in the Brazilian Nindies video" and that internal reports are being made.

Sounds pure fanfiction
It kinda does, yeah. Wish we could get a response directly from developers if something did happen.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Would holding a massive Nintendo themed parade float at Rio's Carnaval help bolster any chances of Nintendo rethinking their stance on Brazil? There was a mass Star Wars float at this year's Carnaval spanning just about every Star Wars film except for Solo.

It blows my mind that Nintendo would completely overlook the Brazilian market altogether. It would be like no Disney in South America. Speaking of which, what is Nintendo's overall reach in the other South American countries? Chile, Bolovia, Columbia, and Venezuela come to mind. But Brazil spans such a huge geographical reach in South America altogether. It's crazy to think that the house of Mario and Zelda has written Brazil off as a huge loss.

Just look at this parade float. Quite an elaborate display. And they even celebrated the prequels.

Not a float, but 2014 had some mario and sonic dancers in a nostalgia themed presentation

TXdi5ow.jpg