• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9230-medium.jpg

"A judge ordered former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva be released from jail following a high-profile court decision reversing rules for imprisoning convicts.

Judge Danilo Pereira Junior said on Friday the leftist leader could leave jail in the southern city of Curitiba where he's been since 2018 serving a sentence for corruption, according to a court document. Lula's lawyers had filed a petition calling for his release after the Supreme Court ruled late on Thursday that convicted criminals should be incarcerated only after all their appeals are exhausted.

The move thrusts the charismatic and highly-influential 74 year-old politician back into the spotlight at a highly polarized time in Brazilian politics. Domestic law still prevents Lula from running for public office due to his conviction, but there's a concern his presence may galvanize the left in their opposition to rival President Jair Bolsonaro and the market-friendly policies his administration is pursuing."

(...)

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
Supreme Court ruled late on Thursday that convicted criminals should be incarcerated only after all their appeals are exhausted.

Wow, that's an interesting decision. Is Brazil's appeal process faster than other countries'? Exhausting all appeals could last literally decades in other places.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's an interesting decision. Is Brazil's appeal process faster than other countries'? Exhausting all appeals could last literally decades in other places.
Sounds like a sound argument, though. Innocent until proven guilty, and it's not proven until the final word is said on it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its more complicated than what the article talks, you have temporary imprisonment thats used when a person is a menace to society, so thats used to murder cases and etc, until the sentence is out. So its not like murderers and rapists will get free.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
This sounds like a very odd justice system. How many times can you appeal and how long does i take? Does it ever expire if it takes too long?
Looks like a system that benefits rich people that keep paying good lawyers to make new appeals and never go to jail.

Here in Canada you go to jail after the first sentence. I believe other developed countries are the same.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I recommend watching Edge of Democracy on Netflix if you haven't already.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a very odd justice system. How many times can you appeal and how long does i take? Does it ever expire if it takes too long?
Looks like a system that benefits rich people that keep paying good lawyers to make new appeals and never go to jail.

Here in Canada you go to jail after the first sentence. I believe other developed countries are the same.

It is very odd indeed, I still don't understand it, and Brazil has insane things like giving imprisoned people "days off" for christmas or mother's day when they actually leave prison to go back home, it is really bizarre.

The case with Lula though should have been a mistrial, leaked conversation in Telegram have proved the judge acted in conjuction with the prosecution and they were very determined to not allow Lula influence the past presidential election, had he run or even just be able to give interviews (he was forbidden to do so) the election could have been very different.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The president who robbed the country, millions of unemployed people, broken economy, high crime ratio and the biggest corruption scandal in the WORLD came under his management.

Today this gentleman goes free to enjoy the money that he stole from us.

Today I am ashamed to be Brazilian.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i explained above part of it, you can appeal 1 time, 2 if the sentence or the process violates the constitution or law. It can take a long time, but in Lula case it was one of the fastest i've ever seen. It can expire, but it takes a very long time depending of the gravity of the crime. You can use the temporary prison to what i told above and also to obstruction of justice and for those that could flee.

And yeah the judicial system benefits the rich because they can hire good lawyers, but unfortunately thats true to all countries.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The president who robbed the country, millions of unemployed people, broken economy, high crime ratio and the biggest corruption scandal in the WORLD came under his management.

I'd be more ashamed at having a fascist elected as leader.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019

here in Brazil may take 10-15 years for final conviction due to amount of resources, so if u have the money, with this decision of the Supreme Court u just walk free.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

unemployment-rate-in-brazil.jpg

PIB_crise.png

Lula government 2002-2010

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
well i m not here to discuss with any of u , I just wanted to verbalize my outrage and shame at the moment.

At least I ll see him being arrested twice, and it will be soon.

Nov 7, 2017

oh, so you wasn't ashamed when bolsonaro tried to appoint his own son as a diplomat in a clear nepotist move?

or when he said that foreigners were welcome to come here and fuck brazilian women but gay tourism was a no no?

or when a bunch of cocaine was found on the presidential plane?

or when #vazajato revealed a clear bias from the judge against lula during his trial?

none of that right? you were a proud little fascist bitch until this very moment

shut up and sit down kid

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The case against him still runs but frankly is shady as hell and Brasil needs him right now to stand up to Bolsonaro

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
oh, so you wasn't ashamed when bolsonaro tried to appoint his own son as a diplomat in a clear nepotist move? ( yeap, it was nepotism and i was ashamed too )

or when he said that foreigners were welcome to come here and fuck brazilian women but gay tourism was a no no? LOL, What ? ( duiahsudhakusdhasukdhsaukdha )

or when a bunch of cocaine was found on the presidential plane? i was ashamed too

or when #vazajato revealed a clear bias from the judge against lula during his trial? there is no bias during his trial, that the truth or in his new trial if he is convicted you will say that the judge was biased too ?

none of that right? you were a proud little fascist bitch until this very moment

shut up and sit down kid

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
i m far from being a fan, he is full of shit and not so good as president, but president lula is no better then him, i dont have a "politician pet" as many here ( in brazil ) have.
Really? As far as I know, Lula didn't actively try to destroy the Amazonian Rainforest. Bolsonaro needs to be tried for crime against humanity just for that. And also denounced for his disgusting opinions.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
In Peru, we call these kinds of laws as "leyes con nombre y apellido". He must cashed in some a favor from a corrupt judge.

Edit: Before you call me a Bolsonario fan, Bolsonaro is a monster and most likely just as corrupt as Lula.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
the greatest leftist leader in latin america, maybe in the world (he is a centrist though)

glad he is free

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
In Peru, we call these kinds of laws as "leyes con nombre y apellido". He must cashed in some a favor from a corrupt judge.

Edit: Before you call me a Bolsonario fan, Bolsonaro is a monster and most likely just as corrupt as Lula.

laws with name and surname? oh come on, the figure they used is the same on every freaking self named democracy, if your appeals are running you are still innocent and free as soon as they are over you either free or arrested

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Really? As far as I know, Lula didn't actively try to destroy the Amazonian Rainforest. Bolsonaro needs to be tried for crime against humanity just for that. And also denounced for his disgusting opinions.
He is a troll, anyone well informed knows Dilma's government truly ended in 2014, after that the legislative actively and openly worked against the government (Aecio, Cunha and Temer as the biggest leaders of the opposition - just google their names and check how nice and non corrupt they are - but you wont see the troll talking about them). Also, if Lula was in charge there wouldn't be an Impeachment process.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know how someone can look at Bolsonaro and being worried about Lula being free, or saying he's just as bad.

People just ignore the situation we are living?

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I don't know how someone can look at Bolsonaro and being worried about Lula being free, or saying he's just as bad.

We still live in a world where people think fascist is better than leftist and will go to any lengths to uphold that illusion.

Good for Lula.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017

Large scale corruption and crimes committed publicly seem to be a-ok with a very certain demographic of very certain politicians' supporters, to the degree that it's WAY worse than lesser (in scale and intent by the person in charge) shit done less blatantly. Mirrors some "world leading" country to the north of Brazil.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any cliffs on this guy? Was he actually involved in the oil company scandal? Or is there more to the story? I keep hearing different things.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru

Ya quisieramos haber tenido a un presidente como Lula, los programas sociales impulsados durante su gobierno sacaron a millones de la pobreza extrema. Estuvo encarcelado sin evidencia, y ahora tocará esperar a ver si encuentran pruebas (lo que no han podido hacer hasta ahora).