• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
How shitty. Dems are going to be forced to pack the court in order to defend a woman's right to choose.

If that's what Dems (Congressmen and voters alike) have to use to push through with this than so be it.

Push as many liberals into courts as possible or risk having women convicted and jailed for having a miscarriage. Sounds like a good incentive to me.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
So is it true that all of this is an attempt to get sued on purpose so that it DOES go to Supreme Court and gives the conservative judges the opportunity they need to kill Roe vs. Wade? I read somewhere this was the ultimate end game.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
You can ban the unsafe ones by mandating that all miscarriages be medically investigated and the doctor is obligated to report self-abortions to the cops.
Then women will just decline to go medical professionals when they believe they're pregnant, relying solely on over the counter tests and whatever household remedies they opt to use immediately after.

Doctors can't report shit if they don't know about it.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
How high is Alabama in incest pregnancies. I could have sworn I read they are the highest or one of the highest

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So did I. I could have done more. I Could have triend to persuade family members to not buy into Trumps trash. I could have gone to more protests. I could have been a louder voice. I could have made more sacrifices for whats right.

That wouldn't have done anything. Those dumbasses had their minds made up, I know. I tried.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
c4jt321-1.jpg

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just hoping that they'll have the conviction to do what they need to do, because I picture them deciding not to pack the courts as part of taking the high road.

SPOILER ALERT: Joe Biden wins the election, does jack shit since he thinks he can work with Republicans and then an actually competent version of Trump is elected as the last President of the Untied States in 2024.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
That's going in the wrong direction. It's de-evolution. Don't let this happen.

You just have to love old, white Americans. Literally the greatest decision makers of all-time. Nailed another decision out the park here. Fuck women and allowing them to have agency over their own body. For fucks sake, the Republican party needs to be abolished.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Lower courts will strike it down and SCOTUS will refuse to hear the case.
Pretty much. The Georgia bill is a legitimate attempt at something getting approved by SCOTUS. This is hardly the first time AL has passed a shitty bill that will inevitably get overruled at the Federal level. If I remember right, they had to be threatened to start approving gay marriage certificates.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
So is it true that all of this is an attempt to get sued on purpose so that it DOES go to Supreme Court and gives the conservative judges the opportunity they need to kill Roe vs. Wade? I read somewhere this was the ultimate end game.

That might be the goal of those pushing for it in Alabama, but it's not wise for their position because the current Court is not going to want to overturn Roe in its entirety on a 5-4 vote. Now, if Ginsburg kicks the bucket and is replaced by a pro-life woman, then that changes things quite a bit, as a 6-3 decision with a woman involved is a lot different in terms of the pressure Roberts (and probably Kavanaugh) would feel to vote a certain way.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
How shitty. Dems are going to be forced to pack the court in order to defend a woman's right to choose.
Packing the courts will only do so much when the electoral college will disproportionately favour Republicans with every passing year.

So long as the electoral college and gerrymandering still exist, any victory for Democrats is temporary and powerless. More and more so every year.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
That wouldn't have done anything. Those dumbasses had their minds made up, I know. I tried.
I'm just saying voting is not enough. It doesn't matter who is to blame. What matters is results. Fighting against this evil is a responsibility for all decent people. I tried to change the people i know I tried to get my friends involved to make a difference but if I didn't make the difference then I didn't try hard enough.

We have to get involved.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Packing the courts will only do so much when the electoral college will disproportionately favour Republicans with every passing year.

So long as the electoral college and gerrymandering still exist, any victory for Democrats is temporary and powerless. More and more so every year.

I don't understand how people in rural areas feel politically powerless when the entire system seems rigged to favor them over millions of people in cities.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. The Georgia bill is a legitimate attempt at something getting approved by SCOTUS. This is hardly the first time AL has passed a shitty bill that will inevitably get overruled at the Federal level. If I remember right, they had to be threatened to start approving gay marriage certificates.
14 other states have passed bills this year or are working to pass this year for the purpose of getting before the supreme court. This isn't just going to go away

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Outcome you're predicting is Appellate court upholds Roe v W and Supreme Court declines to hear an appeal?

This is my guess. With as much yeehawin and shit that they do, I don't think Roberts would want to go down in the books as stripping women of their rights. They'll let a lower court decide it and refuse to hear it.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The lieutenant governor of Alabama pushed for this legislation last week. At the time, it failed. He released a public statement that the aim was to push this to the SC and overturn Roe.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
yes. that's their stated goal. they know this ban will get struck down by lower courts because it's clearly against precedent but they want to appeal to SCOTUS.
The goal for proponents of the new law is to keep the ban "perfectly clean" in order to challenge the existing supreme court ruling, said Representative Rich Wingo, one of the architects of the proposed ban. Anti-abortion activists hope that a more conservative high court may be willing to reconsider the landmark decision, which would pave the way for other states to outlaw the procedure.

"It goes after Roe directly," Wingo said. "We're going in the front door and we're saying to the supreme court, please explain to us how this isn't a person. With modern technology, with everything that we know, this child needs to be protected under the US constitution."
this ban may be too extreme so SCOTUS will simply decline to hear the case after the law gets struck down, but it only takes four justices to get a case heard.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given the way the Senate is designed to work, you can expect more of this kind of thing. Nothing changes until we are all ready to physically eject these people from power.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
This quote may be over used but...

quote-i-ll-tell-you-what-s-at-the-bottom-of-it-if-you-can-convince-the-lowest-white-man-he-lyndon-b-johnson-107-70-60.jpg
It's sad and true. I mean, that's exactly what we see. People denying their own needs (healthcare, government assistance, SNAP, etc._ so "those people" won't get some of it.

The further all this goes, the more I'm convinced we're going to see significant violence at some point. When the pendulum swings inevitably back at some point, there's a whole group of people being primed to reject the results as deputy state or fake news or a fucking Pizzagate-esque conspiracy. And the current admin has been systematically stripping away all the protections - investigation of far right organizations and giving them cover, gutting the credibility of the FBI and ATF, putting too much power in ICE and furthering the militarization tendencies of swaths of the nation's police.

Or they won't give up power and the people will have had enough of stolen votes and disenfranchisement and minority rule.

Add in the inevitable downturn in the economy and the worsening of climate...

We're basically fucked.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
Just when I thought I couldn't despise parts of my country even more. These shitheads are welcome to vote themselves backwards in time as far as I am concerned. Terrible as hell and I feel awful for the woman who live there and will have choices taken from them, but maybe it will drive decent people to leave for greener pastures. So glad to live in California.