• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying voting is not enough. It doesn't matter who is to blame. What matters is results. Fighting against this evil is a responsibility for all decent people. I tried to change the people i know I tried to get my friends involved to make a difference but if I didn't make the difference then I didn't try hard enough.

We have to get involved.

It's not the duty of the oppressed to educate dumbasses and get them to stop hating them.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
With all these states passing abortion bills, all it takes in one conflicting ruling from the upper courts to force the Supreme Court to take a case on abortion. This is like how gay marriage was made legal. Upper courts kept turning down anti-gay marriage laws until one upper court kept them causing a conflict.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep bringing down potential Democrat nominees brehs.

Keep pushing them memes brehs.

The perfect candidate or bust am I rite ?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if saying this will get me warned/banned, but I feel like if such scum in the legislature can utterly ignore rape survivors directly before them just before deliberately omitting any exemptions for rape/incest, anything resembling civility in protests will not work, and should any appeals even come close to the SCOTUS, there needs to be outright rioting in the streets across America.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they have to have a credible reason to re-litigate this or bring it back to the supreme court? As is, won't a federal court just strike it down?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
SPOILER ALERT: Joe Biden wins the election, does jack shit since he thinks he can work with Republicans and then an actually competent version of Trump is elected as the last President of the Untied States in 2024.
While I admit to not hating Biden, I do believe that there is a high risk of him making the same mistake that Obama did in thinking that Republicans can actually be reasoned with, let alone on human rights issues. Appoint liberal justices to replace old ones, sure, stack the courts to outnumber the conservatives, not likely. Warren would probably be more inclined to go with stacking the courts, but I don't really picture her winning in the general election (the average voter doesn't seem any more inclined to respond to policies over feelings than in 2016, and Trump's "Pocahontas" crap would likely stick).

Last edited:

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
It's not the duty of the oppressed to educate dumbasses and get them to stop hating them.

It's like when in the earlier days of Trump some people were insistent that it was the responsibility of black people to reach out and try to educate the racists who voted for Trump and that being cold and hostile was immoral.

Like, fuck that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The Democrats should just expand and fill the courts at this point. Worst case scenario the Republicans will do the same once they get back in power, but even then, having control of the Supreme Court for 4-8 years is better than letting it be lost for the next 50 years.

If the SC breaks down as a functioning institution, good. Then you can reform it.
Yep

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
this ban may be too extreme so SCOTUS will simply decline to hear the case after the law gets struck down, but it only takes four justices to get a case heard.

Right, but on divisive issues like this, a justice is going to consider the likelihood of his side prevailing before voting to grant cert. If you are Thomas, Gorsuch, or Alito (three guaranteed votes against Roe/Casey), you know that Roberts (and, IMO, probably Kavanaugh) supports a "death by a thousand cuts" approach to abortion law unless there is some form of cover (say, a pro-life female justice joining the Court at some point), so granting cert on a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade at this point in time is probably not going to end up with the result you desire. In which case, you are going to vote to deny.

Edit: An exception to this is that if you are doubtful that you can get five votes on the merits, but you know for certain there aren't four votes to grant cert, then you might vote to grant cert just so you can write a dissent from denial of cert and express your views to future generations. Thomas might very well do this since his time on the Court is probably coming to an end.

Last edited:

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
This won't last long, and I don't think the court will take this one up... too extreme for even them.. and goes against all precedent already decided.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So is it true that all of this is an attempt to get sued on purpose so that it DOES go to Supreme Court and gives the conservative judges the opportunity they need to kill Roe vs. Wade? I read somewhere this was the ultimate end game.
Yes and why all the other ridiculous shit like the "heart beat bill" are getting passed. SCOTUS IMO was the primary reason why the 2016 election was so important, the Right has been chomping at the bit to get into the position they are in now for decades. Everyone best hope that Trump loses in 2020 and RBG makes it long enough to step down with a Democrat in the White House or things will get even more fucked than they already are.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
He would appoint a liberal justice to replace RBG, Breyer, and a hopefully soon to be dead Thomas so yeah he would on this wise ass.
Morgan-Freeman-Good-Luck.gif

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Women's rights groups will file for a preliminary injunction at the appellate level, it'll get granted and regranted until it hits the circuits. If the bill gets flipped at the circuit level, it'll be stare decisis. If the bill doesn't get flipped at the circuit level, it'll get flipped by a Roberts opinion. Gorsuch will probably join in the flip. That said, if it gets to that point, expect them to continue to carve more ways for the state to fuck with the right to an abortion.

Or if there's any repercussions for passing bills like this. Passing bills like this just solidifies their support in a state like Alabama.

Honest to god, I really wouldn't be surprised if many of these lawmakers get hit hard by this. Even in pro-life circles, denying a person who was raped or is pregnant due to incest is extremist.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
y'all got some shitty states down there, keep your feces away from the supreme court please

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Why do men have to feel they have more right over a women's own body? GOP women are so fucking out of this world too.

I want off this damn ride.

Her seat is already long gone.
Polling would suggest otherwise.

Abortion bans that don't have rape/incest exceptions are at least intellectually consistent, since if you believe that abortion is murder it shouldn't matter how the child was conceived. People who support banning abortion except in those cases don't really consider abortion murder, at least not to the extent that they'd follow it through to its logical-but-horrible endpoint.

At this point, it's really all about how far John Roberts wants to go.

Even if you stack the court, it is unlikely SCOTUS will overrun a decision they just made.
On a fundamental issue like this? Yes, they absolutely would. The court has reversed itself in short order in the past.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so what can be done about this? If ROE V WADE is law of the land doesnt that override this bullshit? Can someone sue over this? There has to be something the people can do..

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if saying this will get me warned/banned, but I feel like if such scum in the legislature can utterly ignore rape survivors directly before them just before deliberately omitting any exemptions for rape/incest, anything resembling civility in protests will not work, and should any appeals even come close to the SCOTUS, there needs to be outright rioting in the streets across America.

Well, unfortunately I don't think there will be riots. First, we don't know how to protest, or even to organize for action. Some folks make it happen; most of us just vent our frustration somewhere and then go back to work, lest we be strangled by the tightening noose of our rising housing costs. So it will continue to be. I say all this hoping someone will prove me wrong someday. If some incredible organizing force emerged that could give people actual hope instead of just a place to vent, maybe things would be different. It'd be a miracle, though.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ok so what can be done about this? If ROE V WADE is law of the land doesnt that override this bullshit? Can someone sue over this? There has to be something the people can do..
This will be challenged. But Roe being the "law of the land" is at the mercy of the judicial system. And Trump has been packing it full of conservatives.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you vote for any single goddamn person besides the Democratic nominee, you're essentially a terrorist at this point. Women will die because of this law and these courts.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
These old white men practically creaming themselves to have their names attached to the SCOTUS ruling that overturns Roe.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it overrides this. The law is unconstitutional and will be blocked .2 seconds after it goes into effect. The alabama lawmakers know this but they want to appeal all the way to the Supreme Court in the hopes the court will reverse Roe. (they probably won't unless Trump gets another justice on the bench, in which case we are all so fucked). The heartbeat bills being passed in other states have a better chance of getting before the Supreme Court.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
This bill is designed for it to be contested in the courts until it reaches the Supreme Court, where they hope trump's conservative picks will make roe v wade not the law of the land anymore.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This bill is designed for it to be contested in the courts until it reaches the Supreme Court, where they hope trump's conservative picks will make roe v wade not the law of the land anymore.

Pretty much this. This and what's going on in Ohio, are specifically meant to be challenged all the way to the Supreme Court. And that's absolutely the terrifying part.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Between this and the NC law, a challenge to Roe v. Wade is coming to the Supreme Court. This was all planned. Republicans got who they wanted for the overturn. Plain and Simple.

Deleted member 22649

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't know. But I'm willing to look like an ignorant fool, and get schooled by more knowledgeable people. So let's list things that we theoretically could do and talk about whether or not any of these are viable.

1. Lean on the ACLU. Raise money for them, call our local chapters, ask if we have options. If this sort of thing could be challenged with a lawsuit on behalf of the public, seems like we would start with these folks, right?

2. Protest in Montgomery, AL. Montgomery isn't a town equipped to handle any organized event with more than 100,000 people. But in the US, I don't think we actually know what an effective protest is. When we do protest, it happens on the weekends, because we have to be back at work come Monday. For something like this to be effective it would need to actually stop legislators in the state capitol from being able to go to work, for a sustained enough period of time that it affects all employees of the state. At least a month, in other words. If you wanted something like that you'd be talking about a protest with a very limited number of participants.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017

Unlike some of the other abortion legislation being considered in other states, there is literally no wiggle room for lower court judges with this one as it directly bans all abortion with one exception.

That means the following will happen:

Someone will go to court. It'll be blocked by a federal judge. From there, Alabama will take it to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. The appeals panel will agree with the district court judge. Alabama will then appeal to SCOTUS.

All of that is basically guaranteed.

Now, the question is whether SCOTUS will hear the case. IMO, it's extremely unlikely that the Court will overrule Roe on a 5-4 vote. Roberts would side with the liberals if forced to decide the issue. The anti-Roe justices know this, so there won't be the four votes necessary to hear Alabama's appeal and the Court will not take up the case.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
This is so utterly depressing. Fuck this law and their audacity to challenge Roe v Wade. This war against women's rights right to choose is just sickening.