• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/us/abortion-law-alabama.html

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — The Alabama Senate approved a measure on Tuesday that would outlaw almost all abortions in the state, setting up a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the case that recognized a woman's constitutional right to end a pregnancy.
The legislation bans abortions at every stage of pregnancy and criminalizes the procedure for doctors, who could be charged with felonies and face up to 99 years in prison. It includes an exception for cases when the mother's life is at serious risk, but not for cases of rape or incest — a subject of fierce debate among lawmakers in recent days.

Direct challenge to Roe v Wade

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How shitty. Dems are going to be forced to pack the court in order to defend a woman's right to choose.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that this will even make it to the Supreme Court, unless there's some kind of major fuckery at the appellate level.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
And it WILL go to the Supreme Court, and it will be declared constitutional. Fuck Republicans, and fuck everyone who voted for Trump. All according to these sick fucks plans.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
ya'll just backflipping into the abyss huh

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Good thing that Brett Kavanaugh is such a fan of stare decisis...

I will never forgive a single Trump voter for what they've done to this country.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I hope all the people who stayed home or convinced themselves that Hilary was just as bad as trump really consider how bad this is going's to get. Cavanaugh is on the Supreme Court and it's no longer equal. This is a direct challenge to roe v wade. This is the alignment that conservatives have had a hard on for since I was a kid. This is really really really bad. People need to not be fence sitters come 2020.

Don't even get me started on the hypocrisy of pro life people. They care about babies in the womb but the minute they're born, fuck em. They cut food stamps, medical services for pregnant women, etc. Fucking sanctimonious hypocrites.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Yeah but if such and such Dem isn't the nominee I'm staying home..."

Fuck you people.

I doubt that this will even make it to the Supreme Court, unless there's some kind of major fuckery at the appellate level.

Outcome you're predicting is Appellate court upholds Roe v W and Supreme Court declines to hear an appeal?

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Democrats should just expand and fill the courts at this point. Worst case scenario the Republicans will do the same once they get back in power, but even then, having control of the Supreme Court for 4-8 years is better than letting it be lost for the next 50 years.

If the SC breaks down as a functioning institution, good. Then you can reform it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know if even as conservative as the current court is they would take this case.

It's so covered by existing precedent that even the conservative leaning court would probably not take it up after it's overturned by a lower court.

I expect the Republican play to be one of the heartbeat laws in Ohio or Georgia.

ThatGuyfromMars

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You cannot ban abortions, you can only ban SAFE abortions. Conservatives should be ashamed of themselves but of course they aren't, they'd better consider programs to help these women who are now forced to carry these children if they are truly prolife.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I don't know if even as conservative as the current court is they would take this case.

It's so covered by existing precedent that even the conservative leaning court would probably not take it up after it's overturned by a lower court.

I expect the Republican play to be one of the heartbeat laws in Ohio or Georgia.

The heartbeat law does have at least something of a legal footing based on shifting definitions of fetal viability.

The key is Roberts, who it seems does not want the court to become a kludge to be used in lieu of the legislative process. He's content to chew around the edges but not to make bald-faced power-grabs.

You cannot ban abortions, you can only ban SAFE abortions. Conservatives should be ashamed of themselves but of course they aren't, they'd better consider programs to help these women who are now forced to carry these children if they are truly prolife.

You can ban the unsafe ones by mandating that all miscarriages be medically investigated and the doctor is obligated to report self-abortions to the cops.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Alabama just doing what it would if there was no Federal power to keep it in check. Probably one of the most corrupt and shitty state governments in the US.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Roe will be effectively neutered when the SC upholds a bunch of heartbeat bills, but I don't think the current court will even accept this. Part me wants to see how this issue would quickly destroy republicans if abortion was actually outlawed completely, but hundreds of thousands of women would be put in jeopardy so not worth it.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
if roe v wade is overturned

and we have the senate house and presidency there better be no arguing over norms or that be

we insta nuke filibuster and Insta court stack

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They have voted to force rape victims to carry children to full term.

No man should be allowed to vote to make someone suffer something they never ever ever have to fear.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is falling apart so quickly. Fuck every Trump voter, I will curse what they've done to this country and the planet with my dying breath.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember they're not pro-life they're anti-women.

They'll do anything for the unborn but once you're born you're fucked.