• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Well, if you really believe that abortion is murder then there shouldn't be exceptions for anything but the life of the mother. Otherwise it's just about controlling women's behavior. At least they're consistent with that.

Sounds too positive. I'm sick to my stomach about this.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm literally shaking at this news. I'm not a US citizen, but this shows me, once again, how much our rights are feeble when it comes to legislation. How easy it would be, for men, to legally take over my body, my agenda, my rights, in anyway they see fit.
It makes me mad that the right for abortion was not put into my country's constitution because lawmakers at the time decided that "it was not needed". Fuck yes it's needed. If the far right gets to the government, abolishing it would probably be one of the first things they would do. This is scary shit.

Simone de Beauvoir knew all along:
"Never forget that a political, economical or religious crisis will be enough to cast doubt on women's rights. These rights will never be vested. You'll have to stay vigilant your whole life. "
Fucking hell, we can never catch a fucking break, can we.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
So Alabama's 'state senate/legislature' voted this? Glancing st membership there are 3 women on this 35 member "senate". I can't find what those 3 women voted, but why in the fuck are 32 other men even voting on and making decisions on what a woman does with her body?

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i put on my hazmat suit and wandered through t_d to see what they thought

interestingly quite a few of them are really rattled by it. some making throwaway accounts to voice dissenting opinions (i.e. anything that isn't "fuck libruls")

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If I was a woman living in Alabama I'd just stop sleeping with men. You can't be forced to have a baby if you never get inseminated.

I was listening to an interview with a doctor on NPR this morning who works at a big hospital and does safe abortions and she said she would move to another state to continue her services. Now that there's a risk of being prosecuted for potentially recommending an abortion which couldn't be a "medical emergency" after the fact is too much to bear.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, how I hate Republicans and conservatives. They are the scum of this planet.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
So Alabama's 'state senate/legislature' voted this? Glancing st membership there are 3 women on this 35 member "senate". I can't find what those 3 women voted, but why in the fuck are 32 other men even voting on and making decisions on what a woman does with her body?

"When are women going to face the fact that they don't know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?"

/From the Onion

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Before Trump got elected I thought stuff like this only represented about 5% of americans. Now I realize it's more like 30-35% of americans, with a good amount more that don't care much about their society past being able to play with guns and having as low taxes as possible.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Absolutely shocking.

Women forced to birth their rapists child?
Doctors riskiing 99 years in jail?

I expect demonstrations about this, come on Amerrica, sort this out!

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely batshit insane. Not even an exception for rape, how do human beings vote for something like this in the year 2019. What the actual fuck? It's not even a surprise, just what you expect from these people now.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just remember they're not pro-life they're anti-women.

They'll do anything for the unborn but once you're born you're fucked.
They only are about a life before it's born. After that it's fuck you, until you hit 18, then it's come enlist so we can get you killed. But hey, if that doesn't happen, you can try to go to school for free while suffering greatly from PSTD while we don't properly take care of you.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I try to comfort myself about states doing this by telling myself that the USA is like a collection of countries, and state to state life can vary drastically.

Then I remember that Alabama gets just as many senators as Massachusetts and helped put Trump in office, and I scream.

I can only hope people are able to find a way out of that garbage state.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think framing the abortion debate as "women's rights" is very strange when men and women tend to oppose legal abortion in similar rates. In fact, some polls show that women are slightly less supportive of legal abortion than men. So really strange that this is the main criticism.

Jul 18, 2018
So it will come down to Gov. Kay Ivey to decide if this bill will be signed into legislation or not. Don't know anything about her, anyone think she will not sign it?

So this seems to be a GOP tactic to get SCOTUS to overturn the Roe v Wade case which will be a major political tool for the next presidential run??

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can bet the so called conservatives will still get abortions for their daughters, mistresses, one night stands etc. when it suits them though.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think framing the abortion debate as "women's rights" is very strange when men and women tend to oppose legal abortion in similar rates. In fact, some polls show that women are slightly less supportive of legal abortion than men. So really strange that this is the main criticism.
What an odd take.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Ok... So what are you trying to say exactly?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
See this is just a dumb move. Going for a total ban is clearly against Roe v Wade and probably won't even make it to the SCOTUS. Atleast try to get them on some kind of weird technicality.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok... So what are you trying to say exactly?
I'm saying that framing it as a women's rights issue is weird when there's no difference between men and women's stance on abortion. And that this is probably what the people of both genders in Alabama probably wanted. not that this is a good thing - in fact, it's very bad.

edit: you know what. I've been wrong before. I don't mean to offend anyone if what I said was not okay.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
So it will come down to Gov. Kay Ivey to decide if this bill will be signed into legislation or not. Don't know anything about her, anyone think she will not sign it?

So this seems to be a GOP tactic to get SCOTUS to overturn the Roe v Wade case which will be a major political tool for the next presidential run??

She will most likely sign it cuz she's pro-life.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying that framing it as a women's rights issue is weird when there's no difference between men and women's stance on abortion. And that this is probably what the people of both genders in Alabama probably wanted. not that this is a good thing - in fact, it's very bad.
Too many women are complicit in their own oppression, pretty sad really.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can bet the so called conservatives will still get abortions for their daughters, mistresses, one night stands etc. when it suits them though.

Of course they will. They can afford to send people to other states for this or pay doctors to do it without anybody finding out.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if abortion is a felony now...

And felons can't vote...

Is there something else they're trying to take from women? 🤔

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's about our bodies so of course it's a women's rights thing. Ultimately, whether men agree or disagree with abortion is irrelevant because the responsibility is always placed upon women - if a man wants an abortion but the woman wants the child, the man just leaves the relationship. If a man refuses to allow a woman to get an abortion, guess who still has to carry the baby for nine months?

There are contraceptive measures for men that are safer and more easily reversed than the ones women use every day, but the vast majority of men refuse to go through with it. The onus is always on us to not get unintentionally pregnant and if we do it's our fault and anti-abortion governments are very clear in that they oppose abortions but will provide fuck all support once that child is born.

This is absolutely a women's right issue first and foremost because it isn't about the child but controlling what a woman can do with her own body.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
"exception for cases when the mother's life is at serious risk"

This is so vague.

Every pregnancy is risky. Mothers die from childbirth or pregnancy complications all the time in the US. Where is this line even drawn.

A dead person has more rights to their body in Alabama than women. Insane.