• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's about our bodies so of course it's a women's rights thing. Ultimately, whether men agree or disagree with abortion is irrelevant because the responsibility is always placed upon women - if a man wants an abortion but the woman wants the child, the man just leaves the relationship. If a man refuses to allow a woman to get an abortion, guess who still has to carry the baby for nine months?

There are contraceptive measures for men that are safer and more easily reversed than the ones women use every day, but the vast majority of men refuse to go through with it. The onus is always on us to not get unintentionally pregnant and if we do it's our fault and anti-abortion governments are very clear in that they oppose abortions but will provide fuck all support once that child is born.

This is absolutely a women's right issue first and foremost because it isn't about the child but controlling what a woman can do with her own body.
I see what you mean. I think you're right.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Abortions banned and sexual assault accusers getting more time if their accusations can't be proved than their rapists would if convicted.

*Sweet Home Alabama plays*

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
But the new season of the Handmaid's Tale doesn't start for another couple of weeks.

Are there people who have decided to leave Georgia & Alabama due to this?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alabama: "how can we make this as shitty as possible? Oh I know, let's also include rape and incest as not a good reason!"

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you really believe that abortion is murder then there shouldn't be exceptions for anything but the life of the mother. Otherwise it's just about controlling women's behavior. At least they're consistent with that.

Sounds too positive. I'm sick to my stomach about this.
If they were actually being consistent about the "sanctity of life" they'd be tackling much bigger challenges to that sanctity than the one abortion currently imposes.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see what you mean. I think you're right.

Men have an important voice on the issue of abortion but, really, the only stance they should take is "I support women having the final say" because if they have any respect at all for their girlfriends or wives then that's exactly where they should stand on it - with them.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
2. Protest in Montgomery, AL. Montgomery isn't a town equipped to handle any organized event with more than 100,000 people. But in the US, I don't think we actually know what an effective protest is. When we do protest, it happens on the weekends, because we have to be back at work come Monday. For something like this to be effective it would need to actually stop legislators in the state capitol from being able to go to work, for a sustained enough period of time that it affects all employees of the state. At least a month, in other words. If you wanted something like that you'd be talking about a protest with a very limited number of participants.
Our capitalist overlords have trained us little hamsters very well.

It is so important that men fight this alongside the women. You guys have to show up as you see how easy it is to legislate your rights away.
Sadly, I fear even the "supportive" men will likely veer too far into their usual petty ego wars and quibbling over abstract theory to be much help to us.

Last edited:

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
If I was a woman living in Alabama I'd just move elsewhere instead of living in a shithole stuck in the medieval ages.

I can only hope people are able to find a way out of that garbage state.

Sorry, but this is the wrong take on this. A woman shouldn't have to move to protect her rights. Her rights shouldn't be dictated by where she lives. Plus, this is absolutely a play at getting SCOTUS to overturn Roe v Wade, which has implications far beyond Alabama.

The only correct answer is to fight these things tooth and nail. Fight it in the courts, fight in the legislatures. From the lowest level state office to the highest office in the U.S. to the Supreme Court. Stop focusing only on the presidency and other national offices. We're seeing how much of the dirty work is being done at the state level. It's not going to be easy, we won't win every battle, and you might have to hold your nose and support some imperfect candidates along the way.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Sorry, but this is the wrong take on this. A woman shouldn't have to move to protect her rights. Her rights shouldn't be dictated by where she lives.

Definitely. My panic vision of where America is going is two different countries, one with basically a Scandinavian-ish social democracy, high GDP per capita, good education etc., and a second one that's a kleptocracy with horrible human rights standards, crippling poverty, and lots of second-class citizens to pin the blame on (women, minorities, immigrants, you name it). But honestly we're 95% of the way there right now.

Oct 30, 2017
If they were actually being consistent about the "sanctity of life" they'd be tackling much bigger challenges to that sanctity than the one abortion currently imposes.
No they've made it clear they don't care about people, but still see it as wrong to "murder" babies in the womb. If you think abortion is murder then it is internally consistent to allow no exceptions but to protect the life of the mother.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Men have an important voice on the issue of abortion but, really, the only stance they should take is "I support women having the final say" because if they have any respect at all for their girlfriends or wives then that's exactly where they should stand on it - with them.
Yup it's their body. If a woman is carrying my child but doesn't want it it's her decision ultimately.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
giphy.gif

The south continues to be terrible. My heart goes out to women living in that shit fucking state.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Horrible. I'm sure they're doing this to force the Supreme Court that has been stacked to rule on somehow undermining or repealing Roe v Wade

teague

Dec 17, 2018
No they've made it clear they don't care about people, but still see it as wrong to "murder" babies in the womb. If you think abortion is murder then it is internally consistent to allow no exceptions but to protect the life of the mother.

Right, it's the classic Night Watchman state where the only thing we're allowed to prevent is murder and possibly property theft, except that also "protecting religious liberty" entails a bunch of sanctions on non-Christian people... (because expressing your religion if you're not Christian hurts Christians? Or like, not being able to pray in schools is an infringement on some strange natural right to pray in schools, but god forbid we pray to another religion's god in schools?) this part of it may be able to be made consistent, but there's still a lot of inconsistency in the popular GOP platform. "We care about all people and that's why we respect them enough to let them earn things for themselves except if they're not white, male, etc..." is already pretty internally screwy

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. My panic vision of where America is going is two different countries, one with basically a Scandinavian-ish social democracy, high GDP per capita, good education etc., and a second one that's a kleptocracy with horrible human rights standards, crippling poverty, and lots of second-class citizens to pin the blame on (women, minorities, immigrants, you name it). But honestly we're 95% of the way there right now.

Lol. The USA reaching Scandinavian standards is beyond utopia at this point.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
For the sake of the argument. Could Hillary have prevented this? Isn't this the Senate, and not the presidency?
Hillary wouldn't have picked Republican Supreme Court Justices (assuming this gets that far). So yes, it could have been very different.

The Supreme Court being the way it is now is going to fuck is in the ass for decades. It's going to be one of the main things about Trump's presidency that will continue to beat down this country after he's gone.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Horrible. I'm sure they're doing this to force the Supreme Court that has been stacked to rule on somehow undermining or repealing Roe v Wade

Bingo, that's been the explicit gameplan for a while and was the reason McConnell et al. took all those Supreme Court fights so much more seriously than Dems have been. This strategy has in fact been so successful that pretty soon the Supreme Court will rule that no lower court can issue a national injunction, hamstringing the ability of all the less-stacked courts to undo any of the damage caused by the stacked Supreme Court and GOP executives and congresspeeople.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
This sounds like your arguing for abstinence, which is what the conservatives want.

I don't think this strategy would be as effective as you think.

I'm not arguing that abstinence is the right way to go. But if you're stuck in a place where abortion is illegal and you don't have access to effective birth control what other options are there?

I know that refusing sex with men wouldn't make a huge difference (young people in the US are already having less sex), but it's better than doing nothing while your rights are continually stripped away.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
For the sake of the argument. Could Hillary have prevented this? Isn't this the Senate, and not the presidency?

The point of the law is to get to the Supreme Court and reverse Roe v Wade, now that it's predominantly Republican. Oh, sorry, I'm supposed to pretend it's not a political appointment. Conservative, conservative. Anyway, the law may still have passed in Alabama if Clinton were president, but it wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of surviving a judicial challenge. Now it's fairly likely to, and to challenge access to abortion across the entire country.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Alabama is a disgrace.

All the voters who elected those lawmakers in Alabama are a fucking disgrace. Shame on you Alabama. Shame on all you idiot voters and your fucked up beliefs.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
The way that this and the Georgia law make explicit rulings on the legal ramifications of getting or providing abortions makes this a very clear ploy to stack more bodies in private prisons and call it "religious liberty." This runs in direct opposition to any ambitions leftists have of allowing felons the vote.

I've said this before a few times but this smacks of the death thralls of an ideology on the outs. I know that at the moment the conservative Christian bloc is flexing more power than they have in decades, but I can't help but shake the idea that all of this bluster is in response to a revived leftist movement in the US that is already beginning to make inroads in the federal government despite the best efforts of Democrats and Republicans alike. They're building obstacles to stifle policy progress for the next generation of politicians.

The lives it may cost be damned.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Not only is this going to get women killed, not only is this an oppression in the the rights of women, but this also is a voter suppression tactic.

Make Abortion a felony, suppress women's vote through arrest.

Please, please people help the organizers in these states. They need all the help they can get.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
lol I made some shitty low effort swipe at conservatives about this in a Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comme.../enka7am/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

...and woke up to 1.7k upvotes, gold and silver, 50-odd immediate replies from The_Donald trolls, a direct chat request from a T_D troll, and a cross-post notification from said T_D troll to T_D where they're crying about how bigoted I am toward conservatives.

Cry ass bitches.

Deleted member 22649

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sadly, I fear even the "supportive" men will likely veer too far into their usual petty ego wars and quibbling over abstract theory to be much help to us.

We have to fight that in ourselves and try to refocus this conversation around taking action— specific action. Yeah, folks are going to fight and get angry in these threads. But if you show them things they can do to help, things they can do right away, they'll do those things and feel less powerless, which will help in many ways.

The "specific" bit above is important. Telling someone "we should be in the streets" is different than telling them "we should organize a protest in Montgomery this Saturday".

Nov 6, 2017
I'm less convinced that this law specifically is the law that the GOP is throwing all their weight behind to get to the Supreme Court. It is fucking absurdly limiting and cruel that I doubt the SC would hear it and just defer to a lower courts ruling. If this was in front of the SC it would be an extremely controversial 5-4 ruling and they don't want that. It's more likely that a heartbeat bill reaches the SC.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, every time I start to think this state's maybe not sooo bad, they remind me why I don't want to settle here permanently. -_-

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a clip on a local news site from the AL Senate floor when they stripped the exceptions out with a sham voice vote and it made me realize that Republicans in power have figured out that there aren't any actual consequences to the shady shit they do. Everything hinged on backlash, or "they'll do it right back to us", and it turns out Democrats won't, so out comes the true hideous form of conservatism. All isn't lost, but the envelope is being pushed so far now thanks to the commander in chief getting away with everything.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
. They're building obstacles to stifle policy progress for the next generation of politicians.

Yeah I think this is right--they're trying to burn all the bridges behind them to make it as hard as possible to undo their shittiness. Sure hope you're right about the death throes, but man some of those MAGA teens on insta give me a bad feeling.

Man, I didn't even think of this, but you're probably 100% right.

Oct 27, 2017
Not only is this going to get women killed, not only is this an oppression in the the rights of women, but this also is a voter suppression tactic.

Please, please people help the organizers in these states. They need all the help they can get.

For what it's worth, women who receive an abortion can't be prosecuted under this law. It only criminalizes providing the abortion. Obviously that is still an outright ban on abortion, but it doesn't turn the women who get them into felons. At least that is what the summaries I've read are saying. I don't know if there is some argument that they could be prosecuted for conspiracy or some similar theory (maybe the law explicitly prohibits that).

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not arguing that abstinence is the right way to go. But if you're stuck in a place where abortion is illegal and you don't have access to effective birth control what other options are there?

I know that refusing sex with men wouldn't make a huge difference (young people in the US are already having less sex), but it's better than doing nothing while your rights are continually stripped away.

Well gee golly, if it's the only option left after having everything else stifled I guess there's just no choice. It all just happens to come together like that. And of course abstinence will go over swimmingly with horny teens, meanwhile only one gender continues to get punished for transgressions. Convenient.