• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Breaking Bad or Ozark?

• Breaking Bad

Votes: 589 89.6%
  • Ozark

Votes: 68 10.4%

• Total voters

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
I visited some relatives on Monday and a cousin of mine and her boyfriend couldn't stop gushing about Ozark.

I've been watching Ozark. I've seen season 1 and almost all of season 2. I think it's a good show, maybe even a great show, but it's not even close to Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad has dark humor, light humor, and characters that are likable.

Ozark is utterly humorless, and every episode is drenched in a gloomy blue hue. I don't think there's a single character on Ozark that I truly like, not even Ruth Langmore.

But my two cousins, both women in their 40s, insist that Ozark is better than Breaking Bad. And one of them has a boyfriend (great guy) who has never seen Breaking Bad, and he's enthralled by Ozark. I just want to set him on the right path.

What show do you folks think is better?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Breaking Bad.

Ozark is fine, but I found it somewhat dull, which led me to give up on it after a handful of episodes.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Breaking Bad. How is this even a question?

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Ozark felt really weird to me. I liked it at first but the pacing started to annoy me really fast. There was always something happening, one crisis after another, felt like the show had no air to breathe.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
Ozark looks like the cinematographer coated the lens with the blue meth for the entire run.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is this one of those experiments to see how big of a percentage one vote will get?

Ozark is good/sometimes great. But B.B. is one of the GOAT.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldnt say Ozark is humorless. There's quite a bit of subtle as well as not so subtle dark humor throughout and Bateman is great at doing deadpan face sarcasm to sell the humor. The ending to season 1 is both shocking and hilarious at the same time at just how casually it plays out.

That said, Breaking Bad is certainly better but Ozark is pretty good too and has some really good characters in it and I think it has gotten better as it has progressed.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I like BB better overall but I chose Ozark because I think it's first 2 seasons are stronger than Breaking Bad's first 2 seasons.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Oh for sure Breaking Bad. Ozark first season is pretty good, but their characters are mostly unlikeable which hurts the show. Breaking Bad had the opposite problem, where the main character could do awful reprehensible stuff and people would still cheer for him.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ozark's first season at least is great. I simply having gotten around to watching the latest episodes.

However, Breaking Bad is ridiculously good and deserves every iota of the hype and cultural phenomenon it is and was. Just expertly, smartly and believably written. I often found it terrifying because it felt so realistic.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Breaking bad, no doubt.

Ozark was good, but it took me a while to get into it... And by the second season I started to lose some interest. Actually, I haven't finished it yet. However, Breaking Bad had me from the beginning, and I could have long binging sessions..

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix originals have people buggin for some reason, was the same with Bird Box or whatever

The answer is BB and it ain't close

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
BB and it is not particularly close. Ozarks could be a great show if they only allowed the story to breathe a bit. Everything feels too rushed.

Mar 29, 2018
Ozark is really good in its own way but Breaking Bad, while still very flawed, hits the ground running with its core concept and generally manages to get a home run with its clear arc.

Ozark is nowhere near as plot driven and feels totally different, it's almost impossible to compare them I'd say.

D6AMIA6N

Nov 8, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Not even close. Ozark is mediocre, in actuality pretty boring. Butler Harner as Agent Petty is awful. I'm not sure what the relevance is that he is gay, but they really ham it up at nearly every interaction with his past partner or flashbacks/him listening to audio of Langmore. Snells are ridiculous, they keep mentioning a legacy for their family, but what family do they actually have?

BB is what Ozark aspires to and fails to be.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just finished Breaking Bad (very lttp, i know) and saw Ozark first. While I still like Ozark, Breaking Bad was absolutely god damn incredible and you'd have to be a fool to say Ozark is better.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, BB is a few leagues ahead of Ozark. And i like Ozark

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Going to echo all the previous posts that enjoy Ozark, but laugh at the comparison. It's not in the same league

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you OP. I like Ozark, but it is a bit much sometimes. The needless and unrealistic revenge/plot twists are just to unbelievable at times. Like noone in the show besides the family has a compromising bone in their body. I think the light humor in BB really helped alleviate this.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I still haven't seen Ozark Season 2, but I did enjoy the first season in a similar way to how I enjoyed Breaking Bad.

That said, BB is a near-untouchable show in a lot of ways. I feel like Ozark is the perfect "watch this if you want more stuff like BB" kind of show. It's a worthwhile entry for the drug drama genre but I don't think anyone would call it king.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
lol @ the 10 people who chose Ozark.

And I fucking LOVE Ozark.

Tho as I usually say in these types of threads, can we at least wait until Ozark matches seasons? It's incomparable currently.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I absolutely love both shows; honestly to me they are on par with each other in many ways but BB gets the edge for overall watchability. I've re-watched it several times and will continue to do so, and will probably do that less with Ozark.

I do think overall the characters on Ozark are more interesting and I'd even say the plot generally is as well. But it's a bit of a harsher show and overall the pulp-y-ness of BB makes it easier to watch.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
BB.

Only thing you can argue really is that cinematography wise the location Ozarks takes place in lends to some great shots; plus they love to use that drone., so on a quick glance it looks 'prettier' then Albuquerque and probably has a much bigger budget.

But man, the scripting, the actual shot selection and how it lends to the show, etc. And as far as the characters? There's a reason why they were able to take B level side characters in the main story and build a whole other critically acclaimed show out of it. I will give Ozark this though; because of the way its done it does give it a higher octane beginning (the first episode could be a solid mini-movie on its own), etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Breaking Bad but Ozark is trending to be better at the end of season 2. It already unquestionably has better written women.