• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Breaking Bad or Ozark?

• Breaking Bad

Votes: 589 89.6%
  • Ozark

Votes: 68 10.4%

• Total voters

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You guys want another show that's pretty damn good too? (Of course, it's no Breaking Bad but easily up there with Ozark, possibly considered better, imo, depending on mood.) Start-Up. Such a great, great show. No one talks about it.

Breaking Bad by far, the scenes in Ozark are so dark that I have to watch it after sundown in order to see what is going on.
Calibrate your TV, guy.

Nov 1, 2017
I completelty disagree with this statement; particularly if you are associating NCIS with Ozark.

I think both BB and Ozark are incredibly high quality shows, and neither show is pop-y "for the masses" stuff like NCIS. If anything BB leans more than way.

Fair enough. I don't think Ozark is very good at all but a more apt comparison would be something like The Wire vs Season 2 of True Detective

Oct 27, 2017
No, Ozark is not remotely close to being as good as Breaking Bad. The latter is in my top tier television list of history alongside 'The Wire', 'Six Feet Under' and 'Band of Brothers'.

But Ozark is a well written show with interesting characters and an excellently executed premise. Excited for season 3 and to see where it goes.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I was hooked on Breaking Bad within the first 20 minutes of watching until the series' conclusion, and I couldn't bring myself to continue caring about Ozark after 3 episodes, so my choice is obvious.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I have read about it and apparently the dark colour scheme was a conscious choice by the producers.
I do sit really close. My TV is also my computer monitor. While it is darker than a lot of shows, it didn't impede my viewing of it.

But yeah, you're not the only one I've heard that from. Usually a calibrated display mitigates all issues.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I liked Ozark but the scene with the baby at the end of S1 was so absurd it irritated me to the point where I haven't bothered (yet) with S2.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like Breaking Bad nearly as much as people seem to, and I like Ozark more than most seem to, and it's still not a decision that takes more than 0.4 seconds.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Ozark is alright, but Breaking Bad is definitely better. The only thing Ozark has over BB are its intertitles. I find them to be very creative.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Ozark. Only because I think Better Call Saul is a better show than Breaking Bad. With Saul existing it has made Breaking Bad appear worse in my eyes.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't gotten around to the second season of Ozark but the first while pretty decent while BB is arguably the best show ever made.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I've enjoyed the first two seasons of Ozark a lot more than I enjoyed the first two seasons of Breaking Bad.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ozark is a fun/sometimes great show, but come on, there's just no comparison.

Although Breaking Bad doesn't contain the line "My friend's snapchats are giving me FOMO 24/7," so that's a point for Ozark.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't even finish the 1st season of Ozark. It's nowhere near as visually enthralling as BB and I didn't care for the extended cast, pretty much at all.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Theres only 2 seasons of OZARK so far as opposed to Break8ng Bads five. Not a fair comparison.

Also, fuck Skylar!

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
BB is waaaaaaay better, however: 2 seasons of Ozark > first 2 seasons of BB, to me it really hit its stride from season 3 onwards.

Better Call Saul is the better show tho

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Could barely get through six episodes of Ozark, same reason as OP's. Not a single likeable character, terrible lighting and post-processing, and really the plot is a bit of a mess with too many boring characters.

Done with this show. Doesn't even compare a little to Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the two shows are kind of incomparable outside the broad strokes. in Ozark the anti-hero is "bad" from the outset, it'd be like if Breaking Bad started at Season 3 or something. There really is no "moral decline" for Marty

also a lot of Ozark is about, well, the Ozarks. not that New Mexico isn't huge in giving BB its character but it's more or less "Anytown USA" in context of the story

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Only one of these shows is in the discussion for best TV drama ever, and as much as I love him from AD it ain't the one starring Jason Bateman.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Comparing your memories of a completed body of work and story to one just beginning to tell its own story?

I don't remember how I felt about Breaking Bad after just 2 seasons. It was fine. I think I'd probably say I liked Ozark through its first 2 seasons a little more, but who knows if it stays good, gets better, and sticks the landing the way BB did? Or if Netflix even lets them take the story to completion before cancellation anyway?

Thread feels like it will be more appropriate a few years from now.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I didn't really care for Ozark. Maybe it's because I was in a really bad time of my life when it came out but I found it to be too dark, mean, and nihilistic. Exhaustingly so.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really like Ozark and hope the show keeps on improving. But c'mon op, this isn't a serious question. Breaking Bad is the best show ever made

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Very different shows despite the basic similarities ("normal" guy does crime hides from family gets in trouble.)

I dunno, I really don't see the point of ranking things. 2 of my favorites.