• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

So, to summarize what I think I know about this right now:
  • Smollett was not exonerated or found not guilty or anything
  • The prosecution decided to take the [unusual] step of dropping the case in exchange for surrendered bail and a commitment to community service
  • The Police Department and Mayor's Office were not informed beforehand and are furious
  • He is still out of his job at 20th Century Fox (EDIT: He was apparently just suspended by Fox during the initial filing, and they're No Commenting on his future status at this time.)
Is that right?

So... he was lying
. Grand jury did its job
Police did its job

But the SA was in a giving mood and let Jussie off free for.... $10,000 and community service all the while giving fodder to millions of alt right trolls and getting a $10k reprimand

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Jussie innocent then the two guys should be arrested for hate crime, right? This is confusing.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Hahaha great. This is what it's when cops get off scot free, taste of your own medicine, eh pigs?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Jussie innocent then the two guys should be arrested for hate crime, right? This is confusing.
He's not innocent, the cops completed their investigation and found strong evidence he faked it. The State Attorney's office looked at the case and decided it wasn't worth the effort to prosecute him, either because of the money that would be spent in the trial, the negative publicity that would hurt everyone involved with the case (CPD, Smollett, etc), perhaps it was a weak case that would be hard to prosecute, and the fact that Smollett is not a violent criminal and would be unlikely to offend again. Smollett is out 10 grand and some community service hours and the brothers won't get punished for anything beyond the night they spent in jail.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Doesn't seem like he was exonerated and seems more like city of Chicago didn't want to host the circus that this trial would have been.
Watch the video of the cop though, he's mad and doesn't think justice is served and thinks they're owed an apology and all that. That's exactly how people feel about cops when they do shit and get off with no accountability.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Aight. I'm done trying to figure out the legal system. Between this and Trump's shit...I have no idea what is going on anymore

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not innocent, the cops completed their investigation and found strong evidence he faked it. The State Attorney's office looked at the case and decided it wasn't worth the effort to prosecute him, either because of the money that would be spent in the trial, the negative publicity that would hurt everyone involved with the case (CPD, Smollett, etc), perhaps it was a weak case that would be hard to prosecute, and the fact that Smollett is not a violent criminal and would be unlikely to offend again. Smollett is out 10 grand and some community service hours and the brothers won't get punished for anything beyond the night they spent in jail.
Ah. So he rich guy'd his way out of it.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The difference being the guy in your case admitted what he did. In this case, we have the accused refusing to admit it and the state's attorney admitting he thinks Jussie did it but he's still cool with letting him go. Why? We can't know that because they also decided to seal the decision.
I was using that to illustrate the point that I don't think money bought him out of it. If that a guy that does something like that can walk, then it shouldn't be surprising that the States Attorney office dropped this. It is very common for them to drop cases like this. No criminal record, people will most likely not another crime, and it was non-violent (what he was charged with at least). Cases like this end up in the same way this one did all the time in Chicago. It's isn't really an outlier to how a lot of things are not prosecuted here.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ah. So he rich guy'd his way out of it.
And for cheap, too. 10k is a drop in the bucket.

I was using that to illustrate the point that I don't think money bought him out of it. If that a guy that does something like that can walk, then it shouldn't be surprising that the States Attorney office dropped this. It is very common for them to drop cases like this. No criminal record, people will most likely not another crime, and it was non-violent (what he was charged with at least). Cases like this end up in the same way this one did all the time in Chicago. It's isn't really an outlier to how a lot of things are not prosecuted here.
This is also true. Despite the high-profile nature of the case, dealing with a lying actor wasting everyone's time is about the 658th most important case the CPD have to deal with.

Oct 27, 2017
With it sealed, we'll never know. But they did state money as one of the reasons they let him off.
Alternatively, some of the principle evidence leaked to the media and officially presented to the public may have been acquired under less than legal or legitimate circumstances, fouling the investigation and making it impossible to move forward.
Both the police and the state's attorney that let him off claim that's false.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Watch the video of the cop though, he's mad and doesn't think justice is served and thinks they're owed an apology and all that. That's exactly how people feel about cops when they do shit and get off with no accountability.
I mean...black cop pissed off Jussie used a noose as a prop in his lie. I got an idea where that anger is coming from.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
With it sealed, we'll never know. But they did state money as one of the reasons they let him off.
He forfeited his bond which was only 10k. Seriously, there was some teenagers that raped a girl on Facebook live and got 5 years probation. The criminal justice system in this city is seriously fucked. That's why I am so surprised that Rahm would have the audacity to be angry at this when there are so many more miscarriages of justice going on here. In fact, one of the largest ones (Laquan McDonald) Rahm had a part in attempting to cover up so he can take his exasperation and shove it up his ass.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matters not. Fact of the matter is cops upset there is no "justice", which is the same stuff people ask of cops.

Your reasoning here is weird. What Smollet did wasn't good for the black or gay communities. Any other time I'd probably agree with you that turn about is fair play, but this dude made it hard for everyone else in his shoes that doesn't have the money to walk away untouched.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Read: the Chicago "Illegal Black Site" Police Department tried to railroad a victim of a hate crime because they're racist but because this victim had money they were able to show that the the CPD were full of crap

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Obama and wife are obviously plugged into the Chicago legal system. Maybe they personally know Smollet...it's not about being black. Just thought it was interesting how everything was sealed.
Any slim chance this is a "Thanks, Obama" moment? Chicago connection and all?
Not everybody black is connected to Obama 🙄

Well there is this
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...aide-asked-fbi-lead-investigation/3156693002/

Oct 27, 2017
He forfeited his bond which was only 10k. Seriously, there was some teenagers that raped a girl on Facebook live and got 5 years probation. The criminal justice system in this city is seriously fucked. That's why I am so surprised that Rahm would have the audacity to be angry at this when there are so many more miscarriages of justice going on here. In fact, one of the largest ones (Laquan McDonald) Rahm had a part in attempting to cover up so he can take his exasperation and shove it up his ass.
I think Rahm's issue is that a guy who refuses to admit his guilt is being let off and the police weren't consulted despite the state's attorney acknowledging that the accused is more than likely guilty. And on top of that they sealed it so the public can't see the real reasoning behind the decision.

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see where that lands going forward, since there seems to be a lot of confusion within the CPD, the State Attorney's office, the mayor's office, and media as to what actually happened here and why.
I don't think there's any confusion in the State Attorney's office. They know what they did, and then they sealed it so no one else would know what they did or why they did it. That's the odd part.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I mean...black cop pissed off Jussie used a noose as a prop in his lie. I got an idea where that anger is coming from.
Again, matters not. A cop is bitching about justice and apologies when they are often asked for the same thing. It's that simple, this isn't hard.
Your reasoning here is weird. What Smollet did wasn't good for the black or gay communities. Any other time I'd probably agree with you that turn about is fair play, but this dude made it hard for everyone else in his shoes that doesn't have the money to walk away untouched.
None of what you said matters to what I am saying. I don't care about what Smollet did and it matters not to what I am saying. It's quite simple, cop bitching about accountability and apologies when people ask them all the time for the same. That's it, full stop, this is not as hard as you're making it.

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is insane.

It would be one thing if he confessed and expressed remorse. I don't think anyone is served by tossing this guy in prison.

But he's still portraying himself as a victim and out there talking shit. He should not be let off the hook when he doesn't even apologize or admit what he did.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Man, this does not feel like justice. It's sad that word is even used in conjunction with the legal system, as rarely as it is properly served.

Status
Not open for further replies.