• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is a pretty fascinating thing

Cops get to scream we did it right
Jussi gets to scream I'm innocent

It's all sealed

Which tells me the Cops didn't do it right and this is the way to let them save face.

Like this is being done in such a way that the Cops get to scream about "injustice" lol

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
Between this and a lot of other shit happening recently, I'm quite prepared to just give up on the U.S. entirely. (Admittedly this is a drop in the bucket, but it's a helluva full bucket to start with.)

What the hell is going on?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of what you said matters to what I am saying. I don't care about what Smollet did and it matters not to what I am saying. It's quite simple, cop bitching about accountability and apologies when people ask them all the time for the same. That's it, full stop, this is not as hard as you're making it.

You don't care that he made it even harder for black (and gay) peoples stories to be believed, and you're telling me I'm making it hard? Okay.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

It's all sealed

Which tells me the Cops didn't do it right and this is the way to let them save face.

Like this is being done in such a way that the Cops get to scream about "injustice" lol
It funny watching these assholes at the CPD squirm like this.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Rahm Emanuel is an irredeemable person. Just an utter piece of shit. Real talk, Smollett getting off isn't smearing the reputation of the CPD and the city, it's the department's own actions that have resulted in their shit reputation.
When Obama kicked him out the white house they never really said why, but I get it now. oh god I do

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's all sealed

Cops are mad at the state's attorney (who is the one doing the sealing).

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I can just say fuck every single one of these people, but I'm laughing more at the pathetic CPD cops who want to whine about injustice in a case like this when systematically being corrupt. If there is a greater of the two evils here, Smollett doesn't even compare.

RzrManifest

Banned
Feb 20, 2019

It's all sealed

Except literally everyone said the cops did it right in spite of the charges being dropped

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Rahm Emanuel is an irredeemable person. Just an utter piece of shit. Real talk, Smollett getting off isn't smearing the reputation of the CPD and the city, it's the department's own actions that have resulted in their shit reputation.
Bs

The state attorney which let off Smollett themselves say police case was not wrong and Jussie lied. That's the whole issue . He was still let go

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
There's more twists here than the last five minutes of Glass and that is a REALLY hard task to accomplish.

I - I don't fuckin know uh... wut???

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
This is the first accusation I've seen levied here about the police trying to frame him.
Really? It's pretty obvious to me that this has been the CPD trying to frame up a black man who was a victim of a hate crime. They're bumbling throughout the investigation, with every single bit of "evidence" for it being fake shown to have massive holes in it. The FBI staying what they've shown is not what the CPD says it is.

The Chicago Police Department is in a constant competition with the NYPD over which set of cops can be the most corrupt and racist.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Add this to the OP as facts :

1. The POLICE department are mad all this happened today
2. The mayor is mad all this happened today
3. The mayor and police are mad at state attorney office for letting Jussie off
4. State attorney says police case was solid and Jussie was not innocent. They did a deal with Jussie and he is now free with no record
5. Jussie says he is still innocent after getting off and says he is being framed by the police and he is still a victim

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
You don't care that he made it even harder for black (and gay) peoples stories to be believed, and you're telling me I'm making it hard? Okay.
I....I don't know how to simplify this even further for you. I am not even discussing the Smollet case now to make you understand. I am saying in general it's fun to see cops bitching about accountability and wanting apologies when the general public never gets that from them.

My comment could be about any incident ever in time. I repeat, the preceding event could be about anything ever in the history of the Earth. Cops bitching about stuff the public asks from them time and time again is fun to see. I cannot simplify this anymore for you.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Because the state's attorney had to recuse herself because of a personal relationship she had with Smollett's family and working on their behalf to transfer the case. You think she is working with the police department on this plan?

Last I read in this thread she wasn't involved in this.

In an interview later, Joe Magats, the prosecutor who made the decision

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/arts/television/jussie-smollett-charges-dropped.html

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
If the police did something nefarious wouldn't they be joining the State attorney office in being happily freeing Jussie ? There is a clear divide between state and police/mayor today

RzrManifest

Banned
Feb 20, 2019
Really? It's pretty obvious to me that this has been the CPD trying to frame up a black man who was a victim of a hate crime. They're bumbling throughout the investigation, with every single bit of "evidence" for it being fake shown to have massive holes in it. The FBI staying what they've shown is not what the CPD says it is.

The Chicago Police Department is in a constant competition with the NYPD over which set of cops can be the most corrupt and racist.
Surely this is bait

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying it's not like the freaking Chicagp PD deserves any benefit of the doubt in life lol

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I just jumped from like page 6/7 to Page 20, so its confirmed he did community service? I thought his lawyers said he didn't do community service.

From the NYTimes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/arts/television/jussie-smollett-charges-dropped.html

"After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the city of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case," the Cook County State's Attorney's Office said in a statement.

In an interview later, Joe Magats, the prosecutor who made the decision, said that there had been no problems with the evidence or the police investigation into Mr. Smollett. Mr. Magats said he dropped the charges after Mr. Smollett agreed to the community service and to give up the $10,000 he paid for his release, money that would have been returned to him if he had made all his court appearances. He also noted that Mr. Smollett had no previous criminal record and said that the dropping of the charges "didn't exonerate him."

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

Can yall quit with this dry ass narrative.

He didn't make shit harder, You either give respect to hear victims accusations out or you don't.

If you're the type to think about this case when someone is reporting a hate crime, then your're just a douchebag to begin with.

Yall keep trying to pretend that people listened to victims with 100% attention before all this and all of a sudden now Smollet broke the collective trust. It says alot more about you than it does Smollet.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The sealing of the case doesn't help the CPD save face. If anything, I'd guess he had something that prosecutors want.

It's unusual for prosecutors to just drop a case that was charged by a grand jury.

It does if say for example the amount of leaking that was coming out of the case jeopardized what was supposedly a slam dunk.

Police here get to be the ones who "care about justice"

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

He didn't make shit harder, You either give respect to hear victims accusations out or you don't.

If you're the type to think about this case when someone is reporting a hate crime, then your're just a douchebag to begin with.

Yall keep trying to pretend that people listened to victims with 100% attention before all this and all of a sudden now Smollet broke the collective trust. It says alot more about you than it does Smollet.

Thank you

+1

CDX

Oct 25, 2017

How do you make an innocent man do community service?

So 16 hours, that he started and completed just a few days ago.

Was he ordered to do that?
Did he agree to do that?
Or did he "voluntary" do that?

I'm still not sure what exactly happened. Other than the charges were dropped, and now he's seemingly free to proclaim his innocence to the media, something that typically wouldn't be allowed if he took a plea bargon

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
lol some people here thought he was going to get a worse sentence than Manafort.

Edit: ^ WTF

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
From the NYTimes:

"After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the city of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case," the Cook County State's Attorney's Office said in a statement.

In an interview later, Joe Magats, the prosecutor who made the decision, said that there had been no problems with the evidence or the police investigation into Mr. Smollett. Mr. Magats said he dropped the charges after Mr. Smollett agreed to the community service and to give up the $10,000 he paid for his release, money that would have been returned to him if he had made all his court appearances. He also noted that Mr. Smollett had no previous criminal record and said that the dropping of the charges "didn't exonerate him."

Lol so basically technically he isn't guilty because before he got even tried, he paid $10k and did community service? Damn, son.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
So 16 hours, that he started and completed just a few days ago.

Was he ordered to do that?
Did he agree to do that?
Or did he "voluntary" do that?

I'm still not sure what exactly happened. Other than the charges were dropped, and now he's seemingly free to proclaim his innocence to the media, something that typically wouldn't be allowed if he took a plea bargon

It's absolutely bizarre. That nytimes article quote from the prosecution basically makes it seem like part of the deal was that it would not specifically be called a plea deal.

Just when I thought the reputation of Chicago/Illinois couldn't get much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.